PDA

View Full Version : So we've had batman, and we've had joker...

kladams707
2008-12-11, 11:25 AM
How would you build others (robin, batgirl, and the other major villains)?

and let's please try to avoid locking the thread.

[edit]I was referring to Grayson for rabin, but if you want to take into account all of them, go for it.

BobVosh
2008-12-11, 11:27 AM
Gordon: Paladin. Doesn't really do much but is there to be the LG guy.:smallbiggrin:

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-11, 11:34 AM
Robin: Rogue or Sorcerer

Batgirl: Swordsage

Fax Celestis
2008-12-11, 11:45 AM
Wolverine: Totemist

Mando Knight
2008-12-11, 11:48 AM
Robin: Actually, a monk would almost work here...

1. Batman makes his stuff. Robin-Monk gains use of wands and such through Bat-Wizard's master crafting skills.
2. Robin uses a staff, unarmed strikes, and shuriken-boomerang-things. So do monks.
3. Monks move fast and are supposed to be supremely agile martial artists. Robin learned from the best... and is now one of the top martial artists in Gotham, alongside previous Robins and Batman.

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-11, 11:49 AM
3. Monks move fast and are supposed to be supremely agile martial artists. Robin learned from the best... and is now one of the top martial artists in Gotham, alongside previous Robins and Batman.

Clarification needed: Which Robin is the OP talking about?

Tokiko Mima
2008-12-11, 11:50 AM
Superman: LG Warlock. Eldritch Blast from eyes with Hellrime Blast+Eldritch Cone added to create Super breath, 24/7 flight, and he could even take hideous blow to handicap himself so he doesn't kill people with every attack.

mikeejimbo
2008-12-11, 11:51 AM
Gordon: Paladin. Doesn't really do much but is there to be the LG guy.:smallbiggrin:

Ooh, I rather like Paladin for Gordon. The "Big Ears" type Paladin, not the "Miko" type.

Roderick_BR
2008-12-11, 11:52 AM
Wolverine: Totemist
I'd put him as a ranger(or scout)/barbarian, probably PrCing into frenzied berzerker. Didn't someone made an X-Men thread once?

If we go the JLA route, we have Batman. Superman would be a gestalt, like warblade/swordsage/paladin, with huge racial bonuses.
The marian manhunter would be a shape-shifter race, with similar build to superman.
The flash would be that super-running monk :smalltongue:

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-11, 11:56 AM
The flash would be that super-running monk :smalltongue:

Pfft. Chuck E. Cheese...

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-12-11, 11:58 AM
Actually, for Batman, I always saw as a Sorcerer. Batman has more options, Superman has more raw power, but not as flexable.

Superman uses what he has to solve every problem. Batman tailors every solution to exactly fit every problem.

On a side note, the Mods may allow me to try and get some feedback from my Joker build next week, with a stern admonition to avoid the excess baggage, depending on how the wind blows, so to speak. If anyone has any decent suggestions, you may PM them to me so I can get them applied when I try again.

And really, for Robin, I always saw him as a Rogue/Thief Acrobat. He's not like superhumanly fast, but he is extremely agile. Also, UMD is a class skill for Rogues, unlike monks. Definately has Skill Mastery, anyways.

Harley Quinn... I see her as a CE Swordsage (unarmed variant) with a lot of shadow hand, setting sun, and tiger claw maneuvers. Maybe Rogue because she tends to use a lot of toys herself. Warlock maybe? Taking the skill-boosting feats?

Mephit
2008-12-11, 12:16 PM
Actually, for Batman, I always saw as a Sorcerer. Batman has more options, Superman has more raw power, but not as flexable.

Now I'm confused. Are you calling Sorcerers, with their limited amount of Spells known, more flexible than wizards? :smallconfused:

I know where you're going with the spontaneous spellcasting, but still...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-11, 12:55 PM
Batman:Gestalt Wizard//Swordsage/Warblade with Leadership and an Artificer Cohort.
Robin: Depends on which Robin. He goes from Batman's conscience(Crusader) to a weaker but more agile him(SS) to a good-guy mook(Monk)
Batgirl: Warblade. Eventually retrains as a Diviner.

Superman:DMPC Paladin//whatever//god
Green Lantern:Definitely a Psionic char

Bane:Barbarian/FB
Riddler:Psion Telepath
Two-Face:Not sure, but a lot of luck feats
Joker:Bard with Perform:Evil maxed

jcsw
2008-12-11, 01:09 PM
So who's Spiderman?

kladams707
2008-12-11, 01:10 PM
Clarification needed: Which Robin is the OP talking about?

Grayson, but if you want to take into account all three feel free to.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-11, 01:14 PM
So who's Spiderman?Warlock, maybe, or Swordsage.

Draz74
2008-12-11, 01:18 PM
This is all very confusing, since we have a dual standard going here for Batman.

Anyone who thinks Wizard is actually the best way to represent the Batman is crazy. Logic Ninja's famous Guide didn't even try to claim that. Rather, it was drawing an analogy between the attitude of a proper Wizard and the attitude of Batman.

So which are we going for in this thread? Actually representing superheroes with D&D classes, or just drawing analogies to their outlooks and styles?

(For the record, as for actual representation, I like Batman as a Factotum. Or Factotum//Artificer Gestalt, in versions of Batman that don't feature Fox as prominently as the Christopher Nolan movies. Though I could also be persuaded to see Batman as a Swordsage.)

Thrawn183
2008-12-11, 01:36 PM
Bane should be a Duskblade or a Psychic Warrior who specializes in burst damage output.

Granted that's kinda to be expected with duskblades and psychic warriors.

Tengu_temp
2008-12-11, 01:43 PM
This is all very confusing, since we have a dual standard going here for Batman.

Anyone who thinks Wizard is actually the best way to represent the Batman is crazy. Logic Ninja's famous Guide didn't even try to claim that. Rather, it was drawing an analogy between the attitude of a proper Wizard and the attitude of Batman.

So which are we going for in this thread? Actually representing superheroes with D&D classes, or just drawing analogies to their outlooks and styles?

You're my hero. Well, I'm my hero, but you can have second place.

Telonius
2008-12-11, 01:53 PM
Iron Man: I'm very tempted to say Artificer, but Warforged Warlock covers the abilities.

The Riddler: Samurai. Because really, it's a mystery how it made it past playtesting.

Dr. Strange: Archivist.

Nick Fury: Urban Ranger, Dread Commando. Several levels of Badass as inherent bonus if played by Samuel L. Jackson.

Squirrel Girl: DM's girlfriend.

charl
2008-12-11, 02:08 PM
Squirrel Girl: DM's girlfriend.

More like DM's girlfriend's little sister age 12 who had to be in the game since there was no one else around to babysit her on game night.

KIDS
2008-12-11, 02:15 PM
If Gordon were a paladin, he would instantly be sabotaged and fall since he "worked with people accused of racketeering whom Harvey Dent investigated while he was in the Internal Affairs". Ah those paladin rules... :( Still I agree that it suits him very well.

Telonius
2008-12-11, 02:19 PM
More like DM's girlfriend's little sister age 12 who had to be in the game since there was no one else around to babysit her on game night.

It's Sally (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0017.html)!

:smallbiggrin:

charl
2008-12-11, 02:26 PM
It's Sally (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0017.html)!

:smallbiggrin:

Yeah, that was the reference.

Ecalsneerg
2008-12-11, 02:29 PM
How would you build others (robin, batgirl, and the other major villains)?

and let's please try to avoid locking the thread.

[edit]I was referring to Grayson for rabin, but if you want to take into account all of them, go for it.

To further complicate things, Babs or Cass as Batgirl?

Starscream
2008-12-11, 02:58 PM
What about when Batgirl winds up as Oracle? I'd say either a wizard specializing in Divination, or a Psion.

And I'd say Squirrel Girl is an epic level druid. She uses natural weapons, has an animal companion (Tippy Toe), can summon massive amounts of animals to do her bidding, talks to animals as well, and is pretty much unbeatable.

Or a Binder channeling some sort of houseruled in squirrel spirit. I've heard weirder.

Although she's probably played by someone's little sister. Who likes squirrels. It's a miracle she isn't pony themed.

Dairun Cates
2008-12-11, 03:26 PM

Gordon is Lawful? I mean, sure, he runs police station, but he also willingly associates with a purely chaotic vigilante to get his work done on a day to day basis. It'd be one thing if batman was an occasional tool, but Gordon uses him constantly. I'd really say he's Neutral Good.

Still, the Paladin persona does fit him though.

Oh, and Bane = Barbarian who ALWAYS Power Attacks for Full regardless of scenario and uses that one version of Rage to stay in a constant rage.

Magnor Criol
2008-12-11, 03:39 PM
Gordon is Lawful? I mean, sure, he runs police station, but he also willingly associates with a purely chaotic vigilante to get his work done on a day to day basis. It'd be one thing if batman was an occasional tool, but Gordon uses him constantly. I'd really say he's Neutral Good.

I agree, I think Gordon is NG, not LG. He generally stays within the system, ergo he's generally lawful, but he doesn't hesitate to bend or break rules to get a job done, and he regularly consorts with - and relies on - Batman, definitely a nonlawful move since Batman isn't really legal.

So, he's not opposed to following rules, but he'll break them when he needs to to get things done. Neutral good.

charl
2008-12-11, 03:39 PM
While Albert is a low level fighter (he was in the military after all) multiclassed to cleric (medic experience).

Is there a butler prestige class? If not there needs to be.

Magnor Criol
2008-12-11, 03:41 PM
While Albert is a low level fighter (he was in the military after all) multiclassed to cleric (medic experience).

Is there a butler prestige class? If not there needs to be.

Honestly, he'd probably be Expert, really. Or one or two levels of Warrior then Expert for the rest.

Telonius
2008-12-11, 03:43 PM

Not a Paladin. He definitely upholds the law, but doesn't feel the same sorts of restrictions that a Paladin would. He doesn't rely on Bats for every single two-bit thief, just for the crazy loons that he knows he can't touch otherwise. I'd peg him as a Knight, or *possibly* a Marshal.

Dairun Cates
2008-12-11, 03:46 PM
Not a Paladin. He definitely upholds the law, but doesn't feel the same sorts of restrictions that a Paladin would. He doesn't rely on Bats for every single two-bit thief, just for the crazy loons that he knows he can't touch otherwise. I'd peg him as a Knight, or *possibly* a Marshal.

Can't we just have a bad ass "Guy with Glasses" Prestige class and be done with it?

Starscream
2008-12-11, 03:52 PM
Can't we just have a bad ass "Guy with Glasses" Prestige class and be done with it?

I'd say his source of power is his mustache. He'd be nothing without it. We need a prestige class for badass facial hair, possibly inspired by Chuck Norris. It would be popular with dwarves.

Talic
2008-12-11, 03:53 PM
Well, if we're recreating...

Harley has combat techniques, and sometimes uses weapons, and tricks.

I'd say Unarmed Swordsage/Rogue... Either that or Monk/Rogue with Ascetic Rogue feat to stack the sneak attack. Not incredibly powerful, but she was a lackey, so it works.

Robin? Thief-Acrobat. Thinking of the Flying Greysons.

Batgirl? Well, whatever Batman was, that was her. Just change the gender, and the disposition a bit.

Two Face? There's a PrC that has the word Scarred in the title. That's all I got.

Penguin? Artificer.

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-11, 03:54 PM
I'd say his source of power is his mustache. He'd be nothing without it. We need a prestige class for badass facial hair, possibly inspired by Chuck Norris. It would be popular with dwarves.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/yugioh/images/thumb/e/e9/Kemo.jpg/150px-Kemo.jpg

Telonius
2008-12-11, 04:00 PM
Ra's al Gul - Swordsage.
Two-Face - that's a hard one. It would be some sort of Fallen Paladin/homebrew Chaotic Blackguard.
Harlequin - Rogue/Master of Masks.

Dairun Cates
2008-12-11, 04:14 PM
Hey. Death Pompadours and super beards aren't the only place it's at. Let's not forget the power of... EYEBROWS!

http://www.absoluteanime.com/big-o/roger.jpg
http://static.desktopnexus.com/wallpapers/2068-bigthumbnail.jpg

Tacoma
2008-12-11, 04:20 PM
I'd just use a superhero system. They're made for this stuff, ya know.

For example, the stat system can adequately account for the Speed of sweet old Aunt May and the Speed of Superman without giving Superman a Speed with eight digits.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-12-11, 05:01 PM
Well, if he wasn't already a Wizard, I would place batman as a Factotum...

kladams707
2008-12-11, 06:58 PM
To further complicate things, Babs or Cass as Batgirl?

Go for both if you wish, hell, go "Oracle" for all I care.

Ecalsneerg
2008-12-11, 07:16 PM
Right...

Cassie is definitely a ToB class, probably Swordsage for the Shadow Hand maneuvers. Actually, if variants are allowed, I'd allow the ToB ranger I saw on the Wizards boards, using the Cityscape web enhancement to have urban skills, but that's just overcomplicated. :smallwink:

Barbara was a skill-monkey, not the best combatant. I'd say a fairly low-level Factotum/Rogue. As Oracle, she's a Seer or Diviner or similar.

Tacoma
2008-12-11, 07:21 PM
Batman's parents were Aristocrats.

The ARISTOCRATS! *snap*

Gardakan
2008-12-11, 07:25 PM
For Batman i saw a wizard with high intelligence...

Talic
2008-12-11, 07:27 PM
I'd place Harvey Dent as a Bloodhound.

Special Investigative unit, trackin' people down... Suddenly, he goes bad, and he's always in the right place at the wrong time.

And I'd place the Riddler as Factotum or Archivist. Leaning towards the latter.

Mr. Freeze? Frost Mage.

Poison Ivy? Cleric. Worship Plant and Sun Domains. Go to town.

charl
2008-12-11, 07:41 PM
Killer Croc is presumably a fighter specialized in grappling.

Scarecrow? A telepath with lots of fear-causing powers.

Clayface? A mud elemental with shapechanging spells. :)

Mad Hatter? Another telepath, this one with mind-controlling powers.

And the Ventriloquist? A fairly standard rogue, I suppose. Not that much power-wise, but he back-stabs people and makes elaborate criminal plans. Oh, and also, Arnold Wesker is a commoner.

Are were-bats still around? In that case Man-bat is a pretty given.

Tacoma
2008-12-11, 07:54 PM
I don't see why Poison Ivy isn't a Druid. Druids have a tradition of being influential and high Charisma. Charming even.

... whatever.

Bane is an ogre. His STR can be buffed by Ivy.

Harvey Dent is an Expert with skill in Profession: Law and Diplomacy. C'mon man. Unless having acid thrown on his face in the courtroom (which I maintain is a far better creation story than that "the Joker did it like everything else") gave him levels, I don't see where else he goes.
And if being burned gives you levels, I've got a Fighter somewhere around here who should be level 50 right about now.

Harlequin is an Expert with skill in Profession: Counseling and Knowledge: Psychology.

Alfred is an Expert with skill in Diplomacy and Knowledge: Etiquette.

Gordon is a higher level Expert with skill in Profession: Police and Diplomacy.

Penguin is an Aristocrat with very poor CHA who has a stupid umbrella magic item.

Riddler is a Commoner with a really high INT and WIS but average everything else. He might have a club.

Batman is a high level Aristocrat with good stats and a craft skill not represented in the rules. This skill isn't as good as Iron Man's.

Iron Man: Artificer. He's not a warforged. He's an otherwise wheelchair-bound dude in a suit and his heart is fine.

The Flash: A Commoner with a unique speed power not present in the rules.

Spiderman: A Commoner with really good stats, danger sense, damage reduction, and a web-shooting and crafting power not present in the rules.

Superman: DMPC.

The Shadow: A Psionic class. I never got into 3E psionics so I can't give you anything further. But he does invisibility, memory editing, light control, hallucinations, thought reading, and telepathy. Anything that gives him more than that is a joke.

The Incredible Hulk: DMPC.

Green Lantern: A level 1 Commoner with a magic ring.

Aquaman: A sahuagin.

Talic
2008-12-11, 08:02 PM
Scarecrow? A telepath with lots of fear-causing powers.

Disagree here. Scarecrow used drugs and toxins. That fits more with a Artificer/Assassin theme, with some heroes of horror taint/corruption thrown in.

Starbuck_II
2008-12-11, 08:04 PM
Bane:Barbarian/FB

Bane is totally a Binder (depending on which Bane we are talking about).

The Movie Bane, Cartoon Bane, or comic Bane.

Yes, he focuses on 2-3 Vestiges (maybe he took Favored Vestige multiple times).

Depending on level:
I'd say Savnok, Agares, Andras, and Balam.
Mostly: Savnok and Agares.

AKA_Bait
2008-12-11, 08:21 PM
Alfred is an Expert with skill in Diplomacy and Knowledge: Etiquette.

He also has ranks in heal and bluff. Probably a pretty decent wisdom as well.

Gordon is a higher level Expert with skill in Profession: Police and Diplomacy.

Gordon is more likley a warrior with the investigator feat. Maybe with a rank or two in aristocrat late in his build for after he gets made commish

Penguin is an Aristocrat with very poor CHA who has a stupid umbrella magic item.

Also a high int and the craft skill.

Batman is a high level Aristocrat with good stats and a craft skill not represented in the rules. This skill isn't as good as Iron Man's.

Iron Man: Artificer. He's not a warforged. He's an otherwise wheelchair-bound dude in a suit and his heart is fine.

I don't understand. Why is batman an aristocrat when Iron man is an artificer? Personally, I go with factotem for Bats.

Spiderman: A Commoner with really good stats, danger sense, damage reduction, and a web-shooting and crafting power not present in the rules.

Nah. He also needs spiderclimb at will and a regeneration power. Totally a homebrewed PC class.

Superman: DMPC.

Oh yes.

The Incredible Hulk: DMPC.

At least for the original hulk, Were-Ogre Frenzied Berzerker seems more fitting.

Green Lantern: A level 1 Commoner with a magic ring.

Yep. I'd say a ring of Searing Light at will.

Aquaman: A sahuagin.

Nah. Deformed Merman. Shauagin are actually useful sometimes.

charl
2008-12-11, 08:32 PM
Nah. Deformed Merman. Shauagin are actually useful sometimes.

So is Aquaman. The comic-book version is fairly bad ass even. Super-strength and the ability to breath under water as well as survive insane pressure and swim at ridiculous speeds is pretty damn useful really.

People are tainted by the Superfriends version.

DiscipleofBob
2008-12-11, 09:48 PM
For Two-Face, what about a character who keeps switching between Paladin and Blackguard as alternate personalities?

Starscream
2008-12-11, 10:30 PM
Bane is an ogre. His STR can be buffed by Ivy.

Bane has nothing to do with Ivy, except in a movie that never happened. No sir, never got made at all. Heard they were working on it, then an anvil fell on the director or something. Tragic. Shame we didn't ever get a Batman film between Forever and Begins, but those are the breaks. Yup.

Enlong
2008-12-11, 10:43 PM

Oh, and Bane = Barbarian who ALWAYS Power Attacks for Full regardless of scenario and uses that one version of Rage to stay in a constant rage.

Oh please, Batman's alignment is untrackable (http://kundor.org/pub/batman-alignment.jpg) and can only be written as Batman/Batman.

chiasaur11
2008-12-11, 11:59 PM

Well, I think the key thing is an EPIC will save.

I mean, after the killing joke...

ashmanonar
2008-12-12, 01:39 AM
Bane has nothing to do with Ivy, except in a movie that never happened. No sir, never got made at all. Heard they were working on it, then an anvil fell on the director or something. Tragic. Shame we didn't ever get a Batman film between Forever and Begins, but those are the breaks. Yup.

There was a movie between Forever and Begins?

I have a blank spot in my memory.

Project_Mayhem
2008-12-12, 08:57 AM
Wait, there was a film between Returns and Begins? I think your wrong

Person_Man
2008-12-12, 10:17 AM
Superman is a Cleric who does all of his buffing off panel. He only has one obscure weakness, but the DM feels compelled to keep bringing it up in the campaign so that there's some semblance of balance.

Batman is clearly a DM PC. His greatest power is his foreknowledge of what the villains will do so that he can prepare for it.

Wonder Woman is a Barbarian being played by teenage boy who thinks its cool to play a chick.

The Flash is Warforged Cleric 1/Crusader 1/ Swordsage 4/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/ Suel Arcanamach 3/ Spellcarved Soldier 1 (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=993832).

Aquaman is a Monk, who further nerfs his character by taking an aquatic race for fluff value even though the DM has made it clear it won't be an underwater campaign. Clearly useless.

Green Lantern is the DM's 8 year old son who is still learning to play. "Just tell me what you want to do and don't worry about the rules. You want to make a giant green anvil and hit the enemy with it? OK."

Martian Manhunter is Psion who abuses Expanded Knowledge, being played by a munchkin who sucks at roleplaying.

BobVosh
2008-12-12, 11:02 AM
Fine. More mechanically Gordon is a grey gaurd paladin, that is LawfulGOOD

Happy? Geez, one vigilante....BAH! confound that Batman! It is well that I am ready to trick him into HIS boner! Then the tables will be turned! (http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=32%3Aseduction-index&id=303%3Abatmans-boner&Itemid=36)