PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Equiping High level Characters

MeklorIlavator
2008-12-11, 12:12 PM
I've recently come to the realization that I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to equiping higher level characters(~13th level and up), and I though the Playground might have some ideas.

Currently, I'm making a level 13 Gestalt Paladin/Truenamer(using both Fax's How It Should Be Paladin and Kellus's Truenaming Fix). So far, here's the character:
Mexanis Harik (http://coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=1060). At this point I think I have everything but the items down, but I have bought some of the essentials(Stat Boosters and Armor), and out of a budget of 135000gp I have 88850gp left, and I'm unsure how to spend it. Most of my experience comes from making at most level 10 characters(and usually levels 5 or 6), where one can only afford a +1 weapon at most. Obviously, this isn't true any more, but how much should I sink into armor and weapons(only the guisarme will be magical)? Should I upgrade and Stat Boosters? And what else should I think about getting? Please keep Suggestions confined to SRD/Core, Compete Arcane, Mage, Adventurer, the Tome Of Battle, and web excerpts.

Other Information:

Abilities are 36 point buy
My Mantels give me the following:
Imunities to Diseases/poisons+bonuses vs Mind affecting effects(eventual immunity)
Less Need to Sleep/eat(eventually no need to breathe or eat)
Bonus to AC based on Cha
Bonus to saving throws(also given to party, multiple effects)
Remove Disease/Curse/Atonement by spending Lay on Hands points

The Truenaming Enhances my/my parties attacks and Mobility, plus some offensive tricks vs enemies.

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-11, 12:21 PM
Decanter of Endless Water (Be creative)

The Mobile Fortress of Oppression

MeklorIlavator
2008-12-11, 12:29 PM
Ah, another thing to note is that this will be something of a dungeoncrawl (we'll be entering a dungeon to find a macguffin at the very least) so nothing to big, please.

Draz74
2008-12-11, 12:34 PM
By 13th level, any stats you really care about (Str/Int/Cha, probably, for this character) should have +4 items. That will kill another 24-36k of your wealth.

Your primary weapon should be somewhere between 25% and 40% of your wealth. If someone in the party can cast Greater Magic Weapon or equivalent on it often, you shouldn't bother with an enhancement bonus of more than +1 on the weapon; but that's just because you'll be purchasing it with extra special abilities instead of +'s. Perhaps a Holy Guisarme would be appropriate for this character?

If ToB items are allowed, picking up several Novice items that give you maneuvers can't hurt. They're only 3k each. It couldn't hurt this build, for example, to pick up a Devoted Spirit Amulet to learn to use Foehammer 1/encounter, or a Stone Dragon Belt to use Mountain Hammer 1/encounter. Having a sprinkling of maneuvers as extra options in combat is fun.

EDIT: Just saw that you already have a +4 INT item. Oh well, you probably shouldn't be bumping it up to +6 yet at this level.

Also, if you want to feel like monsters are ever missing you, you need AC of about your level +20. So aim for 33 or so? I don't know where your "Misc" +4 is coming from; some ability of Fax's paladin that I don't remember? But anyway, let's see how much money it would take to get an additional +9 to your AC.

+3 Ring of Protection for 18k
+2 Vest of Natural Armor for 8k
Dusty Rose Ioun Stone for 5k
+2 Gloves of Dexterity for 4k
upgrade armor to +5 for 16k

... on the other hand, this build (no shield, low starting DEX) is going to have a hard time ever getting AC up beyond 35 or so. So maybe it's not worth the effort. Still, for 51k, you could be pretty competitve defensively, for now.

Alternatively, you could spend the same money on a Vest of Resistance and a Cloak of Displacement (minor) for your defenses' sake. Maybe wiser in the long run. Depends what kind of enemies you fight in this campaign. (How much do your DM's monsters tend to use Power Attack intelligently?) Although, if you're abandoning competitive AC altogether, you have to wonder why you're even paying for +3 armor. You'd be better with +1 Fortification armor or something.

jcsw
2008-12-11, 01:05 PM
I've not read the truenamer too well, but if it's like the normal truenamer in that it has a range of 30ft, you could probably benefit quite well from an Admiral's Bicorne.

This item from Stormwrack amplifies your voice to 100ft, specifically mentioning that all effects related to your voice are also amplified to 100ft. Now truenaming technically doesn't require people to hear the words, but it's probably close enough to try to convince your DM.

The item also gives you a +5 to all charisma based skills, as well as +5 to profession (sailor). It also gives you a +2 Skills, Saving Throws and Attack Roll aura.

The price? Very low at 50,000!

MeklorIlavator
2008-12-11, 01:19 PM
By 13th level, any stats you really care about (Str/Int/Cha, probably, for this character) should have +4 items. That will kill another 24-36k of your wealth.

Your primary weapon should be somewhere between 25% and 40% of your wealth. If someone in the party can cast Greater Magic Weapon or equivalent on it often, you shouldn't bother with an enhancement bonus of more than +1 on the weapon; but that's just because you'll be purchasing it with extra special abilities instead of +'s. Perhaps a Holy Guisarme would be appropriate for this character?
I've followed through with the statboosting advice, and holy would be a good choice.

If ToB items are allowed, picking up several Novice items that give you maneuvers can't hurt. They're only 3k each. It couldn't hurt this build, for example, to pick up a Devoted Spirit Amulet to learn to use Foehammer 1/encounter, or a Stone Dragon Belt to use Mountain Hammer 1/encounter. Having a sprinkling of maneuvers as extra options in combat is fun.

Hmm, my choices are limited to Iron Hearts, Diamond Mind, setting sun, and either Shadow Hand or Tiger's Claw. There's definitely some potential there, thanks for the reminder.

Also, if you want to feel like monsters are ever missing you, you need AC of about your level +20. So aim for 33 or so? I don't know where your "Misc" +4 is coming from; some ability of Fax's paladin that I don't remember? But anyway, let's see how much money it would take to get an additional +9 to your AC.

+3 Ring of Protection for 18k
+2 Vest of Natural Armor for 8k
Dusty Rose Ioun Stone for 5k
+2 Gloves of Dexterity for 4k
upgrade armor to +5 for 16k

... on the other hand, this build (no shield, low starting DEX) is going to have a hard time ever getting AC up beyond 35 or so. So maybe it's not worth the effort. Still, for 51k, you could be pretty competitve defensively, for now.

The bonus is a sacred bonus equal to my Cha, from a mantel. And I'm not sure if spending that much on Ac will be wise.

Alternatively, you could spend the same money on a Vest of Resistance and a Cloak of Displacement (minor) for your defenses' sake. Maybe wiser in the long run. Depends what kind of enemies you fight in this campaign. (How much do your DM's monsters tend to use Power Attack intelligently?) Although, if you're abandoning competitive AC altogether, you have to wonder why you're even paying for +3 armor. You'd be better with +1 Fortification armor or something.
This sound better, though I think the Dm is going to be using the monsters to the best of his ability.

It's something of a Placeholder, so It will probably end up as Medium Fortification or some such thing.

I've not read the truenamer too well, but if it's like the normal truenamer in that it has a range of 30ft, you could probably benefit quite well from an Admiral's Bicorne.
Actually, Kellus's truenamer has unlimited range, but thank you for the suggestion.

zerombr
2008-12-11, 08:13 PM
The bonus is a sacred bonus equal to my Cha, from a mantel. And I'm not sure if spending that much on Ac will be wise.

Nice, it's pretty rare to get a stat boost that's not specified as enhancement, so could stack with a Cloak of CHA, which might be easier just to enchant onto your mantle. I have something similar to that.

Occasional Sage
2008-12-11, 08:52 PM
Since you're already planning to up your melee damage with PA and a two-handed weapon, how about a Brilliant Energy guisarme? They don't affect undead or constructs, though. That should be not so important to you with undead; constructs, though, might be an issue.

Anyway, thought I'd mention.

ericgrau
2008-12-11, 10:25 PM
Boots of speed. You must have these unless your party wizard casts haste every single combat. Must. Haste is just that good.

Weapon damage enchantments, spell storing weapons. These tend to give more bang for the buck than anything else. Brilliant energy costs an entire +4 and only works against artificial armor, so it's often not worth it. Bane usually isn't worth it, but it might if you always face the same monster type. Other enchantments are even more circumstantial. Also consider making your weapon adamantine or cold iron or w/e.

Mix ring of protection and dusty rose prism ioun stone in with your armor enhancements to save gold; get the cheapest AC boosts first. Each point adds around a 10% miss chance (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the monster; 7-20%ish). AC is super cheap to get a ton, so ya it's well worth it. My computer sims found that putting up to 40% of your gold into AC is ideal, but since you don't have a shield I'll guess 25%-35%. Yes, computer sims. I spent days refining martial builds via exhaustively trying all combinations; trust me on this stuff. The exception is if most (not just some) monsters you face don't target AC; then almost all of that goes out the window and you spend hardly anything on it and focus on offense instead. A cloak of resistance just doesn't give enough of a save boost for the gold; don't spend too much on it regardless of what monsters have. Again, I found that using the same sim.

Besides the big stat boosters, consider getting a +2 even to minor stats; doesn't cost that much anymore. By the way, this point and all previous points are based on my computer sims. The next two points are not.

Random wondorous items: There are way too many oddly useful ones to list. Also consider picking up a source of flight.
Expendables: Lots of random low level potions, elixers (wondorous item) and tokens (also wondorous items). Get stuff that preps you for odd situations that might occur, like spider climb. You can get lots of low level ones for cheap and stash them in your handy haversack.

Eclipse
2008-12-11, 10:40 PM
Since you're already planning to up your melee damage with PA and a two-handed weapon, how about a Brilliant Energy guisarme? They don't affect undead or constructs, though. That should be not so important to you with undead; constructs, though, might be an issue.

Anyway, thought I'd mention.

The undead/construct issue is easy enough to fix: buy a backup weapon that isn't brilliant energy, maybe with a flat +1 bonus with nothing else so it can bypass DR */magic. After that, use truenaming support to bring you through.

This is assuming you want brilliant energy in the first place, of course.

It's good to have a cheap weapon that can bypass each type of DR anyway if you rely on weapons, so pick up an adamantine and cold iron weapon while you're at it if you have gold to spare after the more important stuff.

Epic_Wizard
2008-12-12, 03:03 AM
I have to wonder what would happen with Brilliant Energy if you attacked something and then an Anti-Magic field made the weapon solid again (while the energy part was inside the construct) ...

Probably nothing good at the least XD

As far as random Wonderous Items go just browse through the DMG and other erata and just think of ways to use things. Just look at all the immovable rod discussions around here for one.

MeklorIlavator
2008-12-12, 04:45 PM
Nice, it's pretty rare to get a stat boost that's not specified as enhancement, so could stack with a Cloak of CHA, which might be easier just to enchant onto your mantle. I have something similar to that.

Oh, no, you misunderstand me. The Mantle is a class feature from my paladin side(its like making your own code of conduct), and it gives me a sacred bonus to my AC equal to my Cha modifier.

Boots of speed. You must have these unless your party wizard casts haste every single combat. Must. Haste is just that good.

True, and I'm leaning to getting them as there's nothing else really great for that slot, though some features of the Truenamer are helpful in this case. Still, unless something better comes along those will probably be added.

Weapon damage enchantments, spell storing weapons. These tend to give more bang for the buck than anything else. Brilliant energy costs an entire +4 and only works against artificial armor, so it's often not worth it. Bane usually isn't worth it, but it might if you always face the same monster type. Other enchantments are even more circumstantial. Also consider making your weapon adamantine or cold iron or w/e.

If the special materials are that useful, Perhaps I should change one of my Incantations. I would have to switch these 2:

Seize the Item
Incantation 4
Base DC: 26
Duration: Instantaneous
Normal: This incantation causes a single unattended object weighing no more than 3 lb to fly into your hand. The item can be no more than 30ft. away.
Reverse: This incantation is a disarm attempt against the target. You may substitute a truenamer level check as your disarm check. The target cannot attempt to disarm you if the attempt fails. This is still a disarm check, and you can thus benefit from bonuses such as the Improved Disarm feat.
Augmentation (normal): For every +2 modifier applied to the DC, the maximum weight of the object increases by 3 lb. Alternatively, for every +4 modifier applied to the DC, the maximum range of this incantation increases by 5ft.
Augmentation (reverse): For every +2 modifier applied to the DC, you gain a +1 bonus on the disarm check.

Transmute the Iron
Incantation 4
Base DC: 25
Duration: 5 rounds
Normal: This incantation alters the composition of one iron weapon so that it is made of a different metal, such as cold iron, silver, or adamantine. Although this is chiefly for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction, the weapon still gains any other properties associated with the material, such as the -1 penalty to attack rolls for being made of silver.
Reverse: This incantation alters the composition of one weapon so that it is made of conventional iron.
Augmentation (normal): For every +5 modifier applied to the DC, you can target an additional weapon. You do not need to make all the targets into the same kind of metal.
Augmentation (reverse): For every +5 modifier applied to the DC, you can target an additional weapon.

Mix ring of protection and dusty rose prism ioun stone in with your armor enhancements to save gold; get the cheapest AC boosts first. Each point adds around a 10% miss chance (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the monster; 7-20%ish). AC is super cheap to get a ton, so ya it's well worth it. My computer sims found that putting up to 40% of your gold into AC is ideal, but since you don't have a shield I'll guess 25%-35%. Yes, computer sims. I spent days refining martial builds via exhaustively trying all combinations; trust me on this stuff. The exception is if most (not just some) monsters you face don't target AC; then almost all of that goes out the window and you spend hardly anything on it and focus on offense instead. A cloak of resistance just doesn't give enough of a save boost for the gold; don't spend too much on it regardless of what monsters have. Again, I found that using the same sim.

Good Advice, Thank you. I think I'll work this into the character.

Besides the big stat boosters, consider getting a +2 even to minor stats; doesn't cost that much anymore. By the way, this point and all previous points are based on my computer sims. The next two points are not.

True. Of course, the counter point is that I'm running out of slots: I have a belt, amulet, cloak, and Headband. Still, Gloves of Dex are tempting...

Random wondorous items: There are way too many oddly useful ones to list. Also consider picking up a source of flight.

No real comment.

Expendables: Lots of random low level potions, elixers (wondorous item) and tokens (also wondorous items). Get stuff that preps you for odd situations that might occur, like spider climb. You can get lots of low level ones for cheap and stash them in your handy haversack.

No can do on the potions, as my Abstinence mantle forbids me from using them.

Draz74
2008-12-12, 05:26 PM
Of course, the counter point is that I'm running out of slots: I have a belt, amulet, cloak, and Headband. Still, Gloves of Dex are tempting...

MIC rules that you can add basic bonuses (e.g. stat boosts, armor/deflection/natural armor to AC, resistance bonuses to saves) to appropriate-slot items even if they're already magic, without even multiplying the cheaper item by 1.5 like the DMG says.

If I were DM, I'd adopt this rule even if I weren't allowing most things from the MIC. But it depends on how your DM feels.

Sure frees up a lot of item slots, though.

hamishspence
2008-12-12, 05:31 PM
4th ed took this to its logical extreme by giving all cloaks/amulets, for example, a bonus to all 3 defences, and can have a property on top of that.

sadly, its only neck slot items that get this.

herrhauptmann
2008-12-13, 02:29 PM
Have you looked at the retribution amulet in BoED? +2 sacred to AC, and all damage you take in combat, you deliver half to the person who inflicted it. Does include sneak attack from a rogue, but if he poisons his dagger, only you get the poison, not the attacker. It's a little pricey at 56K though.
Also, I'm not sure if the damage it returns is the same type as you take. Say you take 14 points of negative energy and 3 points of fire from a creature with fire resist 5. Does it ignore the 3 points of fire and just take the negative? Same with DR x/piercing or cold iron etc. You'll have to double check with your DM on that.

Douglas
2008-12-13, 02:50 PM
The Retributive Amulet as written in BoED is broken beyond belief. One arena I played in a while back had a GM quote in the house rules saying that not only is it broken at 56000 gp it would still be broken at 56000000 gp, and I happen to agree.

In any case, it was reprinted and severely nerfed in the MIC.

herrhauptmann
2008-12-13, 03:01 PM
Didn't realize it had been reprinted. Oh well, there's still retribution armor (+2 bonus) which is still decent. Less so if the monsters tend to do 50 points of damage per attack.