PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage/Monk

KeresM
2008-12-11, 02:10 PM
I am trying to come up with a good way to combine the monk and the swordsage class into a new class, and I'm stuck. Suggestions?

mikej
2008-12-11, 02:11 PM
Unarmed variant Swordsage maybe ?

kamikasei
2008-12-11, 02:12 PM
Why?

What are the good points of each that the other lacks?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-11, 02:18 PM
Unarmed Variant Swordsage.

Shadow Sun Ninja.

Re-fluffed Swordsage.

Pick one.

Darrin
2008-12-11, 04:04 PM
I am trying to come up with a good way to combine the monk and the swordsage class into a new class, and I'm stuck. Suggestions?

What do you want from Monk that you can't get from Swordsage?

SoD
2008-12-11, 05:05 PM
Shadow Sun Ninja? I haven't come across that one before...where is it?

Eldariel
2008-12-11, 06:19 PM
Tome of Battle PrCs. It's a 10-level Swordsage/Monk hybrid PrC. That said, just Unarmed Swordsage works best (Swordsage without armor & weapons, with Monk's Unarmed Strike-progression instead). Give 'er speed and Flurry if you want to be really loyal.

ivendale
2008-12-11, 11:30 PM
an extremely overpowered class (Swordsage) combined with the attack progression of another awesome class=

loading... compressing file... initiate download...

play...
insane, fun to play, kill everything in the friggen' dungeon, multi-class-awesome, radical, and even the right setup to be a kick @#! rouge (with the right martial maneuvers and feats of corse).

need i say more?

MeklorIlavator
2008-12-11, 11:49 PM
Well, assuming that your talking about the Monk class, it's not all that great. And I've yet to see a real totally game breaking build that focused on a swordsage besides one that was based of an Anthropomorphic Gnat so that you could never realize who was hitting you. How is it all that game breaking?

Enlong
2008-12-11, 11:50 PM
Just play a...

---analyzing
----Swordsage+Monk=impossible to make joke
-----does not compute! Does not compute!
------KSSSHT!
0001110110, please reboot your meme.

kamikasei
2008-12-12, 03:12 AM
Just play a...

...Truenamer, and fluff it as calling all your attacks.

Bosh
2008-12-12, 05:57 AM
an extremely overpowered class (Swordsage) combined with the attack progression of another awesome class=

Another awesome class?
*snorts*

shadow_archmagi
2008-12-12, 06:08 AM

Extremely overpowered? Since when? You get manuevers, which are basically like spells but not as good and almost never useful out of combat, and a few +1's here and there..

Monk? Great? Don't make me laugh.

Roderick_BR
2008-12-12, 08:46 AM
Tome of Battle PrCs. It's a 10-level Swordsage/Monk hybrid PrC. That said, just Unarmed Swordsage works best (Swordsage without armor & weapons, with Monk's Unarmed Strike-progression instead). Give 'er speed and Flurry if you want to be really loyal.
No need to. There are already some strikes that reproduce flurry by giving you extra attacks, and some stances that increases your speed.

Aquillion
2008-12-12, 08:52 AM
Extremely overpowered? Since when? You get manuevers, which are basically like spells but not as good and almost never useful out of combat, and a few +1's here and there.The thing is, people compare ToB classes to other meleers. And of course they look overpowered then, because compared to a vanilla unoptimized fighter just about everything looks good.

As soon as you compare them to casters it's obvious that they're not overpowered; if you consider the ToB classes overpowered then there's no way you can seriously play with druids, clerics, and mages.

Moriato
2008-12-12, 02:59 PM
Just play a...

---analyzing
----Swordsage+Monk=impossible to make joke
-----does not compute! Does not compute!
------KSSSHT!
0001110110, please reboot your meme.

Just play a monk and refluff all your abilities as using swords

:twitch:

Eldariel
2008-12-12, 03:09 PM
No need to. There are already some strikes that reproduce flurry by giving you extra attacks, and some stances that increases your speed.

Yes, but you don't get nearly the progression of a Monk (in speed). Likewise, you can't use a boost along with those extra attacks (before 20 anyways). Sure, you're ok without it (especially since Monk's speed bonus doesn't stack with Haste, Expeditious Retreat, and a number of other bonuses).

Epinephrine
2008-12-12, 03:17 PM
Shadow Sun Ninja works as a nice blend, since it progresses all the fun monk stuff.

I rewrote the Shadow Sun Ninja class for a player in my campaign who didn't like the "sun" part of it, much darker, but essentially the same type of class. Speed bonuses, AC bonuses, Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Damage, Stunning Fist progression, and maneuvers. Fun stuff.

Artanis
2008-12-12, 03:46 PM
I think my sarcasm-o-meter just overloaded :smallbiggrin: