PDA

View Full Version : Legion of Sentinels (PHB II spell)

Twilight Jack
2008-12-11, 04:09 PM
Talk about an incomplete explanation. It describes the ghostly sentinels, explains that they may each make one attack of opportunity per round, describes their hp and AC, explains that they are incorporeal and may occupy the same space as other creatures or objects, and gives info on their saves.

What's missing? What is their attack bonus for those attacks of opportunity, and how much, if any, damage do they do on a successful hit?

If they're just meant to be an illusion, why give them AC and hp? Why no Will save to disbelieve? They're part of the shadow sub-school, so that means they're at least partially real, right?

Was this ever cleared up? If not, what rulings have any of you made, as DMs? If the spell actually allows these guys to hit and do damage, it's pretty cool. Otherwise, it's fairly worthless. Why mention their ability to make AoO, flank, and otherwise take actions if none of it has any effect?

What does this spell do?

Jasdoif
2008-12-11, 04:11 PM
If I recall, it was clarified in the PHBII errata. Unfortunately I can't check the errata myself right now.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-11, 04:19 PM
PHB-II Errata, condensed version: AB = your CL, 1d8+(1/3 CL, max +5) damage. Magic/force type.

Remember, the spell is spherical, so there are technically sentinels in the air too, who can AoO targets who move below them. A good Dungeoncrasher fighter coupled with this spell can be incredibly vicious.

EDIT: From the Errata:

Page 116 – Legion of Sentinels
[Omission]
Should include the following text at the end of its
description: “The swordsmen’s attacks are at a
bonus equal to your caster level, they threaten
critical hits on a 19 or 20, and they deal 1d8 points
of slashing damage with a +1 bonus per three caster
levels (max +5). They only make attacks of
opportunity, and their weapon damage is slashing
and is affected by damage reduction.”

Twilight Jack
2008-12-11, 04:30 PM
Good enough for me. Thanks guys.

UserClone
2008-12-11, 05:26 PM
Are they considered to be using mundane weaponry, or magic ones? It's a damn spell, after all...

Fax Celestis
2008-12-11, 05:27 PM
Are they considered to be using mundane weaponry, or magic ones? It's a damn spell, after all...

Spells always create magic damage unless specifically typed as otherwise.