PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Clarification for On-Going Damage

Awesomologist
2008-12-11, 04:17 PM
This came up last night while playing with my local group. Feats such as Astral Fire do NOT add damage to on-going damage effects do they? I don't think so but I couldn't find anything quickly that said one way or the other so we allowed it until we can find something that says it doesn't. Looking here to see if anyone knows.
Thanks much in advance!

Starsinger
2008-12-11, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't increase on-going damage at all, whether with feats, or vulnerabilities. I don't know where I read that if anywhere, though.

fractic
2008-12-11, 04:19 PM
No the extra damage is only on damage rolls.

BTW check out the simple Q&A by raw thread it's ment for these kind of questions.

Awesomologist
2008-12-11, 04:30 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't increase on-going damage at all, whether with feats, or vulnerabilities. I don't know where I read that if anywhere, though.

I figured the feat doesn't but the vulnerability thing is a surprise.

Mando Knight
2008-12-11, 04:35 PM

Vulnerabilities? I'm pretty sure those apply, too...

Hang on, I'm going to check my DMG and MM... *Checks, because his books are right next to his laptop*

OK, the DMG is silent on the matter, but the MM glossary states that Vulnerable applies when hit by an attack. Ongoing damage isn't an attack, it's a lasting effect/condition. Thus, it's not affected by Vulnerabilities.

Artanis
2008-12-11, 04:36 PM
Regarding the ongoing damage thing, I dunno. The PHB says "any time you take <type> damage". I'll poke around and see if I find anything more.

Edit: Boo, ninja :smallfrown:

Awesomologist
2008-12-11, 04:46 PM
Well this is good to know. Thanks everyone for the help.

NPCMook
2008-12-11, 04:47 PM
We actually discussed this last session

On-Going damage does not stack with damage modifiers or Vulnerabilities, it does not stack with the same type of On-going damage; 5 On-going poison will not stack with an additional 5 On-Going poison for 10 On-Going. An On-Going damage effect will be superseded by higher damage of the same type 10 on-going will replace the 5 on-going. Different On-Going Damage types will stack however, so you may have On-Going fire, and Poison

Artanis
2008-12-11, 04:51 PM
On-Going damage does not stack with...Vulnerabilities
This is what we're wondering. Can you point us to where it says that ongoing damage doesn't stack with vulnerabilities? We already know the rest of what you said.

Edit: Finally found it in the Q&A thread. According to that (question + answer 40), vulnerabilities do indeed affect ongoing damage.