PDA

View Full Version : Vote Up a Monster 4e #2 Result: Pandora's Paradox!

Shadow_Elf
2008-12-11, 08:33 PM
Pandora's Paradox

Pandora’s Paradox-TAB--TAB--TAB-Level 14 Elite Brute
Gargantuan Aberrant Beast (blind, swarm)-TAB-TAB--TAB-TAB-XP 2,000
Initiative +11-TAB-Senses Perception +17; Blindsight
Swarm Attack aura 1: Pandora’s Paradox makes a melee basic attack against every enemy in the aura as a free action at the start of each of its turns.
HP: 326; Bloodied: 163
AC 28 Fortitude 30, Reflex 25, Will 30
Resist: Half damage from melee and ranged attacks, Vulnerable 5 area and close attacks.
Saving Throws: +2
Action Points: 1
Speed: Fly 5 (hover)
Pandora’s Paradox shifts 1 square can makes the following attack against any creatures inside it: +15 vs. Reflex; 1d8 + 6 acid damage and the target is immobilised (save ends) and contracts veritanoxous (see below).
[AOE] Psionic Yank (Minor, Encounter) ♦ Psychic
Burst 2 within 10; +15 vs. Will; 2d10 + 6 psychic damage and the target is pulled into the nearest square occupied by Pandora’s Paradox and dazed until the end of its next turn.
[CB] Redeeming Burst (Minor, at-will) ♦ Healing
Close Burst 5; targets only sufferers of veritanoxous (see below); the target spends a healing surge and regains an additional 2d10 + 5 hitpoints. It then takes a -5 penalty to Endurance checks against veritanoxous (save ends)
Amorphous Fleet
Pandora’s Paradox can pass through enemy spaces and end its turn in them. Any creature that starts its turn inside Pandora’s Paradox is subject to a Swarm attack.
Skills: Perception +17, Insight +17, Endurance +18, Heal +17

{table=header]Veritanoxous | Level 14 Disease | Endurance Stable 26, Improve 30 |
The target is cured | Initial Effect: The target takes a -5 penalty to Bluff and Intimidate checks | The target cannot lie, or make Bluff checks. The target must reveal a lie that they detect, even an ally’s. Effects of the previous state still apply. | Endurance checks can no longer improve the target’s state. A DC 35 Heal check is required to improve their state. Effects of the previous states still apply.[/table]

Arcana Check:
DC 25: This swarm of hornet-like creatures is known as Pandora’s Paradox. It is an aberrant creature blessed by the goddess of innocence.
DC 30: This creature has been blessed by the goddess Pandora. It is required to promote truth around the world, often causing chaos in its wake as secrets best left uncovered are brought to the surface. A character attaining this check result knows about the veritanoxous disease.
DC 35: This creature’s main goal is to force people to tell the truth. Its sting is its only means of spreading veritanoxous, and so it damages the subject while attempting to give it the virus. However, it is capable of healing those who have contracted the virus, while at the same time impairing their ability to recover from it. A character attaining this check result knows about the Redeeming Burst power.

Eons ago, only a few years after the Prime Material Plane came to be, the gods began to war amongst themselves. One of these gods, however, refused to fight her brothers and sisters. Pandora, goddess of innocence, refused to have blood spilled in her name. Hoping to bring the young goddess off of her high horse, Lolth, Demon Queen of Spiders, tricked Pandora into opening a box. The box unleashed countless aberrant horrors upon the world, including the vile Illithids and the domineering Beholders of the Underdark. Pandora was helpless to stop them, save to do two things; first, she banished all of the aberrant creatures to the Underdark, so that Lolth would receive her own gift. Next, she magically captured a swarm of hornet-like creatures and put them to her own use. She adopted the portfolio of truth, and let loose her Paradox upon the world, to stop the corrupting lies that are the foundations of countless societies.
Pandora’s Paradox fights on even today in the name of truth, although unwittingly. Ironically, it causes the most havoc when it comes upon a Drow society, ruining their webs of lies and exposing the truth for what it is.

Here it is! (finally).
Peach and Enjoy!

Alteran
2008-12-11, 08:53 PM
I like it! I like it a lot, really. I can see some problems coming up in combat with Redeeming Burst, but it sure has some fun aftereffects. I'd love to see this in use, it looks like a fight the party rogue would never forget. :smallamused:

I'm now trying to imagine one of these somehow getting caught up with a party, and tagging along. Providing healing and truth for all! Well done, Shadow_Elf. I look forward to the results of VUACS.

Shadow_Elf
2008-12-11, 09:10 PM
Thank you for the compliments.
This thing would not, unfortunately, tag along with a party, I think. It is Chaotic Neutral, and does not have any method to its madness. It simply flies around all over the place, spreading Veritanoxous. It would only stick around a party long enough to give them all the final stages of Veritanoxous, then fly away.
I was considering making the final effect that it was permanent, since Mummy Rot is around the same level, and causes death. But then I thought that if I made it very hard to cure (DC 35 isn't exactly an easy Heal check to make), it would be better.

Shadow_Elf
2008-12-12, 07:00 PM
Bonus Material! (since I cant have Afro totally put me to shame, and it is a month late...)

Pandora
The Honest Soul
Good Greater Goddess
http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/glitters/h/heart_with_stars-1834.gif
Pandora is the goddess of truth, innocence and dreams. She is a benevolent goddess who give sher clergy the power to ferret out lies and schemes. She hates Lolth with a passion, because Lolth tricked her into opening a box containing a portal into the Far Realm, a place of utter madness. In an attempt to punish Lolth, Pandora banished the majority of the aberrant monstrosities to the Underdark, where they would encounter Lolth's Drow. She then assumed the portfolio of truth, and began her crusade against lies and subterfuge. She asks the following of all her worshipers:

- Reveal lies and promote the truth
- Do not attack until attacked - even Drow have some good in them
- Dream big and follow your hopes; truth will win out in the end

Channel Divinity: Pandora's Inquisition
"You force your foe to speak the truth with the divine might of your goddess"
Encounter * Divine
Target: One creature within 5 squares
Effect: The target takes a penalty to Bluff checks equal to your Wisdom modifier (save ends).

Alteran
2008-12-12, 07:03 PM
What kind of action does Pandora's Inquisition use? I'm assuming free, but it doesn't say.