PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Martial Power - any goodies for Str Clerics?

Colmarr
2008-12-11, 09:38 PM
I'm currently playing a melee cleric (of Tempus) in a FR campaign. He's a bastard sword wielder with light shield proficiency. He currently serves as the groups quasi-second-defender and is headed for multiclass fighter and Kensai or Pit Fighter.

I don't have access to Martial Power to flick through (I'm a long way from a store that stocks D&D books), so I thought I'd ask the forums whether it has anything that might be of interest to the above character.

I'm specifically interested in:

1. Any paragon paths suited to a melee cleric (especially ones with heavy blade focus and wis-based bonuses)

2. The alternate multiclass feats - are any of them better for me than Student of the Sword from the PHB?

3. Any powers that are so good that they're worth spending a power swap feat on?

I'm not asking for book text (I don't want anyone breaching copyright or forum rules), but I'd like a bit of a heads up before I fork out my money and order the book online.

Mando Knight
2008-12-11, 10:07 PM
What's your race? Several of the new Paragon Paths are based off of race...

Colmarr
2008-12-11, 10:31 PM
Human (Cormyr Background).

Edit: My avatar is the character in question.

Asbestos
2008-12-11, 10:48 PM
If you're going for a fighter paragon path, Battle Acumen is a must. The alternate feat for getting into fighter is also pretty nice, depends on if you want to get a +1 to hit 1/encounter or actually be more defendery 1/encounter.

Mando Knight
2008-12-11, 10:52 PM
Ever thought of using FRPG's Purple Dragon Knight?

...So your character uses a shield...

I'd recommend either Knight Protector or Shield Adept in Martial Power, though Dreadnought and Avenging Slayer are also worth a look.

Also, Battle Acumen only applies when you take the Paragon Multiclassing path rather than a normal Paragon Path.

Colmarr
2008-12-11, 10:53 PM
If you're going for a fighter paragon path, Battle Acumen is a must.

Can you provide a little more info? What does it do?

Mauril Everleaf
2008-12-11, 10:54 PM
Alternately there are multiclass feats for Paragon tiers that allow you to start gaining class features from the Fighter. You may want to look at those. They aren't too bad.

Colmarr
2008-12-11, 10:55 PM
Ever thought of using FRPG's Purple Dragon Knight?

Yeah, I toyed with the idea for a while, but my charisma is sub-standard (13 at level 1) so I'm not sure I'd get as much use out of it as I would Kensai or Pit Fighter.

I'd recommend either Knight Protector or Shield Adept in Martial Power, though Dreadnought and Avenging Slayer are also worth a look.

Cool. Sounds like there are a few options in there for me. Might be worth the outlay.

Asbestos
2008-12-11, 10:55 PM
Can you provide a little more info? What does it do?

Combat Superiority, you get it.

edit: Its the feat that Everleaf is talking about.

Colmarr
2008-12-11, 10:56 PM
Alternately there are multiclass feats for Paragon tiers that allow you to start gaining class features from the Fighter. You may want to look at those. They aren't too bad.

Ooh. Music to my ears. I don't suppose any of them involve armour or shield proficiency (spending 3 feats on scale, light and heavy shields annoys me a little).

Mando Knight
2008-12-11, 11:25 PM
Ooh. Music to my ears. I don't suppose any of them involve armour or shield proficiency (spending 3 feats on scale, light and heavy shields annoys me a little).

Nope. None of them have anything to do with armor/shield/weapon proficiencies... and the Paragon-or-Epic-only Multiclass feats depend on using Paragon Multiclassing...

Colmarr
2008-12-11, 11:26 PM
and the Paragon-or-Epic-only Multiclass feats depend on using Paragon Multiclassing...

Ouch. That's something I don't want to touch with a barge pole. It strikes me as the single worst-designed part of 4e.

The Mormegil
2008-12-12, 08:28 AM
Stick to Pit Fighter for the rest of your life. Or, if you don't like the concept and cannot/don't want to reflavor it, grab Battle Cleric PP (PHB). That's one of the best PPs for your class, sinc at 16th it gives you the ability to mark one creature as the fighter.

Also, for powers, look out for stances. Lvls 5, 15 and 19 (and possibly 25 and 29, but less so) have great daily powers. One of them (lvl 15 Quicksilver Stance) is from Martial Power. It allows you to shift 2 squares and make a melee basic as a move equivalent action any number of times until the stance ends. Very nice for extra movement and - usually - for marking.