PDA

View Full Version : Why would Yor grapple?

Occasional Sage
2008-12-11, 09:51 PM
It seems easier to just beat the snot out of her and hand her body over to Grubwiggler. After all, that's what he claimed ownership of. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0580.html)

BRC
2008-12-11, 09:52 PM
Two Words: Hostage Situation.

Occasional Sage
2008-12-11, 09:54 PM

Yeah, but they've just seen what happens when you don't autokill the PCs. It never works out the way you want!

Assassin89
2008-12-11, 10:01 PM
Either a hostage situation or Yor has something else on his mind...
The pot of gold!

SPoD
2008-12-11, 10:14 PM
It seems easier to just beat the snot out of her and hand her body over to Grubwiggler. After all, that's what he claimed ownership of. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0580.html)

Pot of Gold.

Yor and Hank are under the impression that if they capture her, she will lead them to her Pot of Gold. It has nothing to do with Grubwiggler anymore.

teratorn
2008-12-11, 10:18 PM
Yeah, but they've just seen what happens when you don't autokill the PCs. It never works out the way you want!

Celia's not a PC.

Jasdoif
2008-12-11, 10:22 PM
If he wasn't convinced he could take her down with a single charge, a grapple would make it difficult/impossible for her to use her abilities. More importantly....While grappled, Celia gets no Dex bonus to AC against nongrapplers, any melee rogue can sneak attack her freely.

Yor and Hank are under the impression that if they capture her, she will lead them to her Pot of Gold. It has nothing to do with Grubwiggler anymore.There's that, too.

Of course, the two aren't necessarily exclusive; they might intend to take her to Grubwiggler after they acquire the Pot of Gold, should the opportunity arise.

Occasional Sage
2008-12-11, 10:39 PM
Pot of Gold.

Yor and Hank are under the impression that if they capture her, she will lead them to her Pot of Gold. It has nothing to do with Grubwiggler anymore.

Ah yes, the pot of gold. That story isn't going to last long, though, now that they've caught her.

Celia's not a PC.

For the love of.... Is "when you don't autokill heroes" better?

OOTS_Echoes
2008-12-11, 11:06 PM

Celia's a heroine

RMS Oceanic
2008-12-11, 11:09 PM
Also, being grappled makes it really hard for an unprepared caster to cast spells. Unless she has the Still Spell feat.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-12-11, 11:58 PM
Celia's a heroine

So when she begins to flow, you don't care about everybody puttin' everybody else down or all the dead bodies pilin' up in mounds?

Still, any of these are very good reasons: Hostage Situation, finding the Pot of Gold, Yor gets to cop a feel, she can't cast spells (even if she has Silent Spell, she'll still need to make a Concentration check).

More Pointless Spoilered Speculation:
Hank decides that with most of the Guild dead, he'd be the better leader and has his minions turn on Bozzok, and offer Haley a cushy position if she decides to come back to the Guild along with all the profits from selling Celia to Grubwiggler.

Grail
2008-12-12, 12:18 AM
Fighter doesn't take her down with his single attack from charging. Celia next gets initiative. Celia flies out of reach of fighter by withdrawing, thus provoking no AoO.

It is not that hard to work out what is the best option for Yor.

LurkerInPlayground
2008-12-12, 12:22 AM
Celia's probably a low-leveled expert who has just been rendered helpless in the presence of rogues.

David Argall
2008-12-12, 12:27 AM
Yor was trying to cop a feel.

Golden-Esque
2008-12-12, 12:34 AM
Pot of Gold.

Yeah, it's probably safe to assume that they've spent the last few strips searching for Celia (remember, she's been in the closet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0610.html) hiding for at least a couple of minutes while Haley was running from Crystal after she broke Haley's bow (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0607.html)). It's safe to say that a couple of thieves who were fooled into thinking that a slyph would actually be carrying a pot of gold (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0604.html) would continue the hunt until they were either convinced that Celia was gone, or they caught her. Looks like Celia forgot before they did : /.

Let's see if we can count on the Belkster to save the day, or whether the 'great cost to an Order of the Stick member' Rich said would be paid to bring Roy back from beyond turns out to be paid by Celia; either in life or in gold xD.

Edited for Clarity

Nof
2008-12-12, 05:14 AM
Two words: boobies fondling.

Roderick_BR
2008-12-12, 06:16 AM
Fighter doesn't take her down with his single attack from charging. Celia next gets initiative. Celia flies out of reach of fighter by withdrawing, thus provoking no AoO.

It is not that hard to work out what is the best option for Yor.
She can't withdraw, she's being grappled.
Yes, she can try to fly, but Yor is holding her from behind, holding down her wings as well. Even if she could fly, I tihnk she'd need to win a grapple check or have to drag Yor with her (maybe with a bullrush-like test) and Yor could push her down with his superior strength and weigh (armor and all).

KillianHawkeye
2008-12-12, 06:23 AM
Yes, she can try to fly, but Yor is holding her from behind, holding down her wings as well. Even if she could fly, I tihnk she'd need to win a grapple check or have to drag Yor with her (maybe with a bullrush-like test) and Yor could push her down with his superior strength and weigh (armor and all).

No, he said that that is what she would have done if she HADN'T been grappled. I.E., that is why Yor grappled her, so she could not do any of those things (as you point out).

Bayar
2008-12-12, 06:26 AM

I agree with this statement.

Greep
2008-12-12, 06:44 AM

Exactly, pots of gold :D

teratorn
2008-12-12, 08:29 AM

Celia never did something heroic.

Castamir
2008-12-12, 08:42 AM
The wings, at least the left one, look crushed to me.
See, that delicate butterfly stuff is prone to damage.

Optimystik
2008-12-12, 10:02 AM
Celia never did something heroic.

Haley (and Bozzok) would disagree with you.

DigoDragon
2008-12-12, 10:31 AM
I thought Yor grappled because that was how the plot was written? :smallsmile:

Linkavitch
2008-12-12, 10:35 AM

Well, Hank wasn't in the room when Belkar came to save the day. But when I saw Hank today, I thought "Wait, isn't he dead?" 'cuz I thought he was standing outside the whiskey room when Belkar made his appearance .

onasuma
2008-12-12, 11:59 AM
Id reacon the same reason any other guy in the comic wants to grapple her.

lord of kobolds
2008-12-12, 12:06 PM
I thought Yor grappled because that was how the plot was written? :smallsmile:

I agree with this.

since when has Rich limited himself to what makes sense?

Zevox
2008-12-12, 12:12 PM
Because grappling was a tactically good move in this situation. Hostage situation/pot-o-gold aside (and both of those are likely reasons in their own right), grappling prevents Celia from escaping them as she did last time, and denies her dex to AC vs anyone but Yor, letting the Rogues sneak attack her with impunity if they wish. Yor is also all but guaranteed to win his opposed checks, being as Celia doesn't appear to be particularly strong, and it makes it tougher for Celia to use any of her magical abilities.

Though given Yor doesn't seem like the brightest bulb in the bunch, it may well be that he merely stumbled upon this being a good move by accident. Or maybe Hank suggested it at some point.

Zevox

factotum
2008-12-12, 12:51 PM
I could be a bit cynical and say that Yor grappling Celia takes her out of the battle without actually killing her. Even if he let her go right now it looks like she has a damaged wing and so probably can't do the "lift Haley beyond Bozzok's reach while she pincushions him" thing that people have speculated she'll have to do.

SoC175
2008-12-12, 01:46 PM
Celia is cheating in regard to the rules for flying creatures anyway. Per D&D rules a flying creature can only fly is she carries no more than light load.

So either she secretly has a really incredible STR-score or she shouldn't have been able to fly while carrying Roy or Haley

hamishspence
2008-12-12, 02:13 PM
there are feats that enable you to fly with medium or even heavy load (Races of the Dragon), but its more likely that rule was simply waived.

even light load limit can lead to D&D creatures- eagles, pteranodon, etc lifting unfeasibly large objects/creatures.

Kurald Galain
2008-12-12, 02:43 PM
Perhaps Yor wants to grapple her because she's got a high charisma score... :smalltongue:

Impz
2008-12-12, 10:09 PM
Perhaps Yor wants to grapple her because she's got a high charisma score... :smalltongue:

Or what she has above the hood? :)

Tholok Razescar
2008-12-13, 11:35 AM
Yor was trying to cop a feel.

Don't blame 'em.

Traker
2008-12-13, 11:45 AM

uh how about not.

Roderick_BR
2008-12-13, 08:52 PM
No, he said that that is what she would have done if she HADN'T been grappled. I.E., that is why Yor grappled her, so she could not do any of those things (as you point out).
Oh, alright, my bad.

Liwen
2008-12-14, 12:39 AM
allright, he's the resumé of this thread!

Celia has been grapple for any or all of the following, in order of pertinence and probability

1. Rich wanted to because he has a plot in mind the requires Celia's temporary neutralisation.

2.Effectively removes her from the fight, leaving the rogues with only Haley and Belkar (thouhg they don't know about our shoeless god) to deal with.

3. They seek her pots of gold. (actual pots filled with gold.)

4. They want her bounty.

5. She is cute and Yor is a pervert.

That's sound about right. now I have a 6th suggestion I believe everyone should agree with.

6. Yor is actually Gary Gygax in hiding that has rolled on a d% table to see what action he should take. He got lucky with the Charge Grapple Attack because it's also a good move to do in this situation.

Hydro Globus
2008-12-14, 01:13 AM
Why wouldn't Yor grapple?

He likes "CHARGING GRAPPLE ATTACK"s, and Celia was until now quite insignificant except for accidentally dividing Bozzok and Crystal so he didn't have to resort to the single most effective course of action.

brionl
2008-12-14, 01:54 AM
They're always after her Lucky Charms.