PDA

View Full Version : [Spell Theme] Gravity Domain

guessmith
2004-08-15, 08:31 PM
Gravity Domain
Granted Powers: You can increase or decrease an object’s weight by 50% lasting one hour; you can this ability a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.

0. Minor Gravity Resistance
1. Delay Gravity
2. Increased Gravity
3. Negate Gravity
4. Gravity Arc
5. Null Gravity
6. Centre of Gravity
7. Reverse Gravity
8. Gravity’s Full Weight
9. Gravity Well

Minor Gravity Resistance
Transmutation
Level: Clr 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 free action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: One Large or smaller freefalling object
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
An object no heavier than ten pounds will float in midair. The caster can move the object by grasping it and moving it normally, but when they take their hand off the item, it will stay put. If another creature moves the object, it will move as normal, but, the spell will be ends. Used by some spellcaster while drinking in pubs, or for reading spells from scrolls.

Delay Gravity
Transmutation
Level: Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Targets: One Large or smaller creature
Saving Throw: Will negates
This spell leaves the target hanging in midair, for the subject is temporarily immune to the effects of gravity. Unless they are able to touch an object to direct their movement, or until acted upon by another creature or force (rope, weapon, etc) the subject is unable to move from their suspended position.

Increased Gravity
Transmutation
Level: Clr 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
This spell increases the effects from gravity, making it difficult to move. Any creature that fails it's saving throw, will have their movement reduced by ten however it can never less than 5 ft per round. It also imposes a -5 skill penalty on all movement or dexterity based skills. All missile attacks will likewise take a -2 penalty during this period. The caster affects an additional person for every three caster levels.

Negate Gravity
Transmutation
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Range: Close (20 ft. + 5 ft./level)
Duration: 10 min/level
This spell negates gravity, or more specifically the effects of weight on any one object or all objects within a 10 feet radius as designated by the caster. The original weight affected can be no more than 100 pounds per caster level. The spells seems to be designed to assist adventurers in the looting of lairs. This spell will not reduce weight for the effects of other spell limits, such as the listed weight for teleportation. Objects affected by this spell also inflict no damage if thrown or if it falls on a creature. The material component for casting this spell is a one pound or heavier paperweight which is destroyed in the casting.

Gravity Arc
Telekinesis
Level: Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 1 ft./level)
Targets: One Large or smaller object
Spell Resistance: No
This spell enables manipulation of a moving object’s gravity by increasing or decreasing its speed. If an item is sped up, such as an arrow or rock, the damage inflicted is multiplied by 1.5 and any reflex save to avoid is increased in difficulty by +4. If used to slow an item down, it will either half damage or add +4 to a reflex saving throw as the danger becomes much easier to avoid, whichever the manifester chooses. Only objects, which have no natural means of movement, can be affected by this power, living creatures, undead or constructs are immune to the effect. The caster can affect any one object for the duration of the spell; but if they do so, they are unable to cast another spell that round as it requires all of their focus.

Null Gravity
Transmutation
Level: Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 5
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 1 ft./level)
Area: Up to one 10-ft. cube per two levels (S)
Duration: 1 min/level
This spell creates an area where the effects of gravity are nullified, there is no up or down in this area of weightlessness. Objects less than twenty pounds, not affixed will start to float upwards. Creatures immediately feel lighter in weight, they gain +20 to all movement based skills (jump, climb, balance, etc). Creatures who jump for height reach their maximum height but will then hang in the air. Creatures moving in a downward direction have the effects of a featherfall spell on them. If caught midair, they are affected as if a delay gravity spell has been cast on them. While useful in an outdoor setting, inside a building or in an underground setting the spell is devastating effect; as characters can jump off the walls or ceiling, using their momentum to inflict greater damage, or to attack and then jump upwards to get away!

Centre of Gravity
Transmutation
Level: Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Range: Medium (200 ft.+100 ft / 3 levels higher than 12)
Area: Up to one 10-ft. cube per two levels (S)
Saving Throw: None; see text
This spell changes the flow of gravity, instead of everything falling down, objects “fall” towards a centered point of gravity as defined by the spellcaster at the rate of 60 feet per round, even if they have to fall upwards to do so. This point must be a stationary point or person within the range of the spell. Objects of less than 20 pounds will automatically move towards the centre of gravity. Provided it has something to hold onto, a creature caught in the area can attempt a reflex save to secure itself when the spell effect happens.
Creatures gain their size adjustment to resist the effect of this spell.
If this spell is centered on a person, the subject gets a will save to avoid the effect. If cast on a creature, the feel no negative effects from gravity, however, they will take 1d10 damage from random debris hitting them. If weapons or animals fly towards them, adjudicate normally.
The spellcaster is immune to the effects of this spell for the first round only, after that point however, they can grab onto an object to prevent themselves from falling. Bracing yourself and not moving will give a +4 to a creature’s reflex saving throw. Any round, when a creature or object is not fully tethered, they risk making the reflex check to avoid being dragged towards the centre point. Any round a character moves faster than 1/3 their normal base speed they must make an additional reflex check. Creatures who can fly or levitate can keep themselves from falling; but if they move more than 1/3 their normal fly speed, they must make the save.
There is nothing intrinsically dangerous or lethal about this spell, creatures or objects are simply forced to move towards the center of the gravity well; however, a cunning a spellcaster will position the centre of gravity down a pit where spikes, poisonous snakes or much worse awaits.
The material component for casting this spell is a small iron ball which is dropped; when the ball hits the ground the spell is cast. If the ball is caught or is prevented from hitting the ground/floor, the spell is effected negated.

Reverse Gravity: 7th lev Spell (see SRD for more details)

Gravity’s Full Weight
Transmutation
Level: Clr 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Range: Close (20 ft. + 5 ft./level)
Targets: One Creature
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Fort Negates
This spell increases one objects weight by 500%, preventing most creatures from either using weapons or even moving. This spell is often cast when their target is in water or ice, causing them to crash downwards. The material component for this spell is a bullette scale.

Gravity Well
Transmutation
Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Range: 300 ft radius
Duration: Three Rounds
Saving Throw: None; see text
This spell changes the flow of gravity, similar to centre of gravity, except the new gravity point is within a planar gate, and anything that fails their saving throw gets thrown into a random spot on a new plane as designated by the spellcaster. Objects of less than 20 pounds will automatically move towards the centre of gravity at the rate of 100 feet per round. Provided it has something to hold onto, a creature caught in the area can attempt a reflex save to secure itself when the spell effect happens. Creatures who can fly or levitate can gain no advantage from their flight. Creatures gain their grapple size adjustment to resist the effect of this spell.
Characters bracing themselves and not moving will give a +4 to their reflex saving throw. Any round, when a creature or object is not fully tethered, they risk making the reflex check to avoid being dragged towards the centre point. Any round a character moves faster than 1/3 their normal base speed they must make an additional reflex check to avoid being lost to the force of gravity. The spellcaster and anyone touching the spellcaster for the full three rounds are immune to the effects of this spell; but if the touch ends for a moment, the creature must make a saving throw as normal.
The material component for casting this spell is a small ball comprised of a material from the plane that the spell would send their victims to, otherwise, this spell material works the same as the centre gravity spell.
-------------------------------------------
On a sidenote, I used swift action and not free action because of a decision my players and I made together. Spells, like featherfall, should be considered swift, because you can cast them when it’s not your turn but this also prevents you from being able to cast more than one spell a round. If the general feeling among the critics on this board is that it should be left as a free action, I will make the change!

eldersphinx
2004-08-16, 04:01 AM
Hmmm, some interesting material here. I'll look over the spells a bit more fully soon, but a couple of general setup comments first:

1. Are these spells intended to be general access to all Clerics, or are they just available to the Gravity domain? If the latter's the case, their spell level should be listed as Gravity (x) rather than Clr (x). Note that a domain spell can be listed at a different level then a general-access cleric spell (such as Antimagic Field, an 8th-level spell on the Cleric list but 6th-level for a couple of domains), too.

2. Does the domain granted power have a duration? (Please?) How does the weight change stack with other effects that change an object's weight?

3. A couple of your spells have been listed with a Saving Throw of Will (harmless) but don't seem to be harmless at all - they slow or negate movement, impose Dex check penalties, and so on. Might want to look at this...

Starbuck_II
2004-08-16, 10:04 AM
He posted the Domain power last one hour each use.

I agree delay gravity isn't harmless, one could use that for battle lol. But you changed it so good.

Nice domain, unsure if there is a problem.

guessmith
2004-08-16, 11:14 AM
1. Are these spells intended to be general access to all Clerics, or are they just available to the Gravity domain?

2. Does the domain granted power have a duration? (Please?) How does the weight change stack with other effects that change an object's weight?

3. A couple of your spells have been listed with a Saving Throw of Will (harmless) but don't seem to be harmless at all

1 - General Access.
2. Fixed the duration, and I haven't yet thought about stacking, my instinct is to say that it doesn't.
3. Fixed; darn copy paste function (grr)

Thanks.

Oh, and to give proper respect, these spells are inspired by Willie E Coyote...I was always amazed the coyote could "hang" in the air for so long, I just asumed it was some sort of magic. Next up: anvil spells!!!

SirAnon
2005-05-05, 11:53 AM
My first day and I find just what I was looking for. I was looking for a magical effect that would increase the gravity in a certain area, making movement harder and increasing damage done by falling/being hit by falling objects. Lo and behold a similar spell right here. My question is, how balanced do you feel the spells are. Would you use them/allow their use in your serious games? Questions dirrected both to the author and anyone else. I know you said it was inspired by cartoon, but do you feel a gravity increasing spell is warented, or does anyone know of a published source. I figure with the Reverse Gravity spell there would be an Increase Gravity spell somewere. p.s. Please forgive me if I ramble, I'm new at this.

VPA_Shadow
2005-07-29, 07:33 PM
Awesome spells, Gravity Well is very well done, I remember having a monster named "Oblivion" that had a simmiliar effect place permenantly on him except they were sent to "Oblivion" instead of a random plane

Wih
2005-09-01, 03:14 AM
You've got Swift and Immediate actions mixed up. An immediate action can be taken during an opponent's turn, but takes up your swift action for the next round.
A swift action is essentially a quickened spell - a quickened spell takes up a swift action. Only one swift action is allowed per round.
A free action however, takes no time, but can only be taken on your turn.

itsmeyouidiot
2008-08-27, 04:36 PM
Center of Gravity seems quite interesting.

It also has the potential for incredibly evil tricks, though. If the center of gravity were in the middle of a sphere of annihilation, for example... :smalleek: