PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on Anti-Shadow spells

Seffbasilisk
2008-12-12, 03:05 AM
In a FR game I'm currently playing in, using Pathfinder as the base, and Faerun supplimental books, I made an Elemental (Fire) Sorcerer.

Now, I've taken all the fire-enhancing feats I could lay my grubby paws on (Bloodline of Fire, Spell Thematics, Cali****e Elementalist), so the end result, is that, when using a Rod of Empower Spell, I can slam out a 16d6 fireball three times a day. Not bad, I know, but also not very effective vs shadows (50% miss chance and all.)

Seeing as we're level 7 currently, and going to be hitting 8 soon, I thought I'd pick the Hive-Mind here, and see what all of you could help me wrangle up.

For starters, he's a follower of Mystra, and a bunch of Shadows have been popping up an abandoned temple of hers, as well as attacking a few other places.

Right now we're wrapped up in Sidequest-City, but eventually we'll get back to the main-plot, which means fighting Illithids (yecch, I know, but apparently their SR is considered 10 below listed, so I'll have a better chance of slamming through them) and eventually, Shadows.

Now, aside from an obscure reference to a 2e spell that completely decimated all shadows within 100ft radius, I'm pretty much tapped out. Can any of you recommend a good 4th level spell to blast said baddies with?

Obviously Orb of Fire would be ideal for smitin' the squid-heads, but my main worry is the shadows. More information on the character will be provided upon request. (Blah blah blah, not changing race (human: cali****e), feats (I like'm), or stats (9, 15, 14, 14, 12, 18+2 [enhancement from item]))

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-12, 08:48 AM
Orb of Force?

arguskos
2008-12-12, 09:02 AM
I know you are a fire elementalist, but the best tool for killing off incoporeal critters is force damage (and force effects). For that, you want things like Chain Missile, Magic Missile, Orb of Force, Vortex of Teeth (to be flavorful), etc.

If you want to take some force spells, and still stick to the fire stuff, grab Spell Thematics (fierywhatever) and then some decent force spells (Force Missiles is another good one). I personally suggest you grab Force Missiles/Orb of Force and Spell Thematics (fierydeath), and go to town.

Best of luck (don't forget the wand of restoration)!

Starbuck_II
2008-12-12, 09:47 AM
In a FR game I'm currently playing in, using Pathfinder as the base, and Faerun supplimental books, I made an Elemental (Fire) Sorcerer.

Now, I've taken all the fire-enhancing feats I could lay my grubby paws on (Bloodline of Fire, Spell Thematics, Cali****e Elementalist), so the end result, is that, when using a Rod of Empower Spell, I can slam out a 16d6 fireball three times a day. Not bad, I know, but also not very effective vs shadows (50% miss chance and all.)

Seeing as we're level 7 currently, and going to be hitting 8 soon, I thought I'd pick the Hive-Mind here, and see what all of you could help me wrangle up.

For starters, he's a follower of Mystra, and a bunch of Shadows have been popping up an abandoned temple of hers, as well as attacking a few other places.

Right now we're wrapped up in Sidequest-City, but eventually we'll get back to the main-plot, which means fighting Illithids (yecch, I know, but apparently their SR is considered 10 below listed, so I'll have a better chance of slamming through them) and eventually, Shadows.

Now, aside from an obscure reference to a 2e spell that completely decimated all shadows within 100ft radius, I'm pretty much tapped out. Can any of you recommend a good 4th level spell to blast said baddies with?

Obviously Orb of Fire would be ideal for smitin' the squid-heads, but my main worry is the shadows. More information on the character will be provided upon request. (Blah blah blah, not changing race (human: cali****e), feats (I like'm), or stats (9, 15, 14, 14, 12, 18+2 [enhancement from item]))

Have you considerd Transdimensional Metamagic Feat (complete Arcane I believe)?
+1 slot adjstment though.
Lets you ignore the Incorporeal/(etheral too) miss chance.

What books allowed:
Core:
1st level:
a. Glitterdust would blind the Shadows (not a bad plan so they can't hit you guys).

Spell Compendruim-

3rd level:
a. Corpse candle: Incorporeal or invisible creatures no longer have miss chance against your spells/attacks.
After that blast them.

4th level spells:
a. Force ward: Incporeal creatures must make a will save to move into area (15 foot).
This spell creates a buffer zone: so you can safely blast them.

Darrin
2008-12-12, 10:30 AM

Ah-hah, here we go.

Abolish Shadows. Unapproachable East, p. 47, Sor/Wiz 3rd. 1d6 dam/CL, 30' burst (max 10d6), fort save for half. Also can dispel any darkness spells.

Otherwise, Orb of Force or Force Missiles. Searing Light might also be nice, if you could pick up the Sun domain, but you said your character follows Mystra.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-12, 10:34 AM
3rd level:
a. Corpse candle: Incorporeal or invisible creatures no longer have miss chance against your spells/attacks.

Beat me to it.