PDA

View Full Version : New weapon for Belkar

aazru
2008-12-12, 08:55 AM
Everyone is getting an upgrade and there is a certain assassin with +4 "dagger"...
Discuss :smallbiggrin:

RMS Oceanic
2008-12-12, 09:05 AM
I like the way each member of the Order has been "upgraded" at different times.

- Roy got his +5 Undeadbane sword
- Elan got his prestige class and a +3 keen rapier
- Haley got a +5 Icy Burst Longbow
- And Belkar [might] get a +4 dagger/small-sized short sword.

I imagine Durkon and Vaarsuvius won't get shiny new weapons, but something else that makes them more effective.

someonenonotyou
2008-12-12, 09:15 AM
well Durkon are family heirlooms so he would get any new shiney wepons and V is a deadly wepon of distuction

Castamir
2008-12-12, 09:29 AM
It looked like Belkar got a shield instead, enchanted up the wazoo (see the relevant threads), but conflicting with his build.

Optimystik
2008-12-12, 09:59 AM
Belkar doesn't seem to need an upgrade - he has no rivals (not even on Team Evil) and everyone he's set out to kill thus far has died.

Even if he did get one, it would be short-lived anyway, so what's the point?

Linkavitch
2008-12-12, 10:44 AM
It would be cool if :belkar: got Crystal's dagger, but wouldn't he need two of them?

And V's new spell is the Good version of Slay Living.

Jasdoif
2008-12-12, 10:49 AM
And V's new spell is the Good version of Slay Living.Slay Living isn't Evil.

KillianHawkeye
2008-12-12, 11:01 AM

Slay Living isn't Evil.

Perhaps he meant something along the lines of Slay Unliving instead?

lord of kobolds
2008-12-12, 12:19 PM
It would be cool if :belkar: got Crystal's dagger, but wouldn't he need two of them?

Is this supposed to imply that V is hesitant to use evil means to hir ends?

Because V made it pretty clear that such is not the case.

Pip
2008-12-12, 12:29 PM
Belker has already recieved his upgrade. He got a +4 (paws) Cat of Carnage.

:smallbiggrin:

factotum
2008-12-12, 12:49 PM
How do we know Crystal's dagger-***-short-sword is even an upgrade? We have absolutely no idea what enchantment bonus Belkar's daggers carry--we know they're magical because the Oracle said being stabbed by them made him a magic dagger repository, but that's all we know. If Belkar's existing daggers are, say, +5 (not beyond the realms of possibility) then using a single +4 weapon would actually be a DOWNGRADE unless it carries some significant other advantage (much higher base damage, for example).

Ronan
2008-12-12, 01:54 PM
For Belkar's sake, Eagle Eyed Pete could have been not just bow/crossbow man. If he was a rogue, he could use verious weapons: As long as they are *ranged*. Belkar often throws his daggers.

Other than that... He doesn't need to use a throwing bonus in melee. In other words... With his intelligence applied to slaughter he could devise a skill for using range magics for melee.

Yoyoyo
2008-12-12, 02:04 PM

I imagine Durkon and Vaarsuvius won't get shiny new weapons, but something else that makes them more effective.

V could have gotten hur up-grade already while studying on the high seas. She seems more powerful (e.g. Pit Fiend battle) than before.

Vaarsuvius4181
2008-12-12, 02:32 PM
i think v is becoming underused. I mean, he really is just kind of an in the way jerk now. The only high level spell ive seen him cast in a while is disintegrate, and alot of wizards can use quarterstaffs or something. I mean, when a wizard is despensed of his spells, then normally he could at least pick up a bow and kill at least one thing. In the comic he just get that :smalleek: look and waits for redcloak or a death knight or a hobgoblin or whatver to run over him

oh and i personally think the icy burst thing will get annoying. 20$ says that she finds like a really good normal bow

NerfTW
2008-12-12, 02:34 PM

The "within the year" could be the end of the comic, for all we know. What's the point of Belkar even doing anything with that reasoning? He should just walk off panel and leave the strip now, it's not like he'll have any bearing on the story at all now that there's a death sentence hanging over his head.

As for upgrades, I have a feeling V's will be the four words to gaining ultimate arcane power.

Vaarsuvius4181
2008-12-12, 02:36 PM

Well, is dungeons and dragons real life? No. Therefor a year could be say 5 in our time.

yanmaodao
2008-12-12, 02:59 PM
i think v is becoming underused. I mean, he really is just kind of an in the way jerk now. The only high level spell ive seen him cast in a while is disintegrate, and alot of wizards can use quarterstaffs or something. I mean, when a wizard is despensed of his spells, then normally he could at least pick up a bow and kill at least one thing. In the comic he just get that :smalleek: look and waits for redcloak or a death knight or a hobgoblin or whatver to run over him

oh and i personally think the icy burst thing will get annoying. 20$ says that she finds like a really good normal bow

Well, let's not forget Prismatic Spray, which is more powerful than Disintegrate.

The icy burst thing could just quietly recede into the background, losing its "funny" aspect. In fact, all the order members might end up getting elemental attacks of some form of another. Sonic or lightning would go well with Durkon, poison or acid (or both!) for Belkar, and maybe a flame-tipped rapier for Elan.

Ulrichomega
2008-12-12, 04:51 PM
I have a feeling that the bow will simply act as a normal bow would.

However, when the plot calls for it, another ice cube will form...

zach12376
2008-12-12, 06:38 PM

V is easy: see Oracle prophecy "4 words"

The +4 dagger is good, and should be used, however, Cyrstal might escape...

SPoD
2008-12-12, 07:58 PM
Belker has already recieved his upgrade. He got a +4 (paws) Cat of Carnage.

:smallbiggrin:

This.

Belkar's upgrade is Mr. Scruffy, an animal companion who seems to be trained to distract spellcasters (which are the biggest weakness of a high-level melee warrior in D&D). It will significantly change the way Belkar fights and also personifies his new attitude. Any other combat upgrade would diminish the importance of that.

Optimystik
2008-12-12, 08:25 PM
Well, is dungeons and dragons real life? No. Therefor a year could be say 5 in our time.

None of this is real life - that doesn't mean we throw plausibility out the window. I doubt Belkar will be around for 5 more real-life years.

SPoD
2008-12-12, 08:46 PM
None of this is real life - that doesn't mean we throw plausibility out the window. I doubt Belkar will be around for 5 more real-life years.

The entire run of strips from #1 to #120 covered 3 days. The run from #302 to #484 covered 5 or 6 days. Time passes as slowly as the story demands, and even the most conservative estimates indicate that there may be 2 or 3 months left in the calendar year for the OOTS--possibly more if the Oracle was using a different calendar than the Southern one. More than enough time for a few years' worth of comic.

Theodoriph
2008-12-13, 12:06 PM

Generally in D&D, your party is TPK'd long before your high-level wizard runs out of spells. :smalltongue: And V was always a jerk. You probably just never noticed before.

@Some other poster

I think Belkar would need an exotic weapon proficiency feat to use Crystal's dagger.

Zolem
2008-12-13, 12:15 PM
Perhaps he meant something along the lines of Slay Unliving instead?

But Unliving are good! I think you mean Slay Undead which are evil creatures.

D&D, where it's important for the Paladin to know the exact kind of zombie going over to them if he doesn't want to risk loosing his alignment.

Kish
2008-12-13, 12:26 PM
But Unliving are good!
I'm guessing you're thinking of deathless.

Zolem
2008-12-13, 12:28 PM
I'm guessing you're thinking of deathless.

That would be the Eberon zombie-elves of good right?

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-13, 12:37 PM
That would be the Eberon zombie-elves of good right?

yes.
Filler. you found it. have an anti-cookie.

Optimystik
2008-12-13, 01:12 PM
The entire run of strips from #1 to #120 covered 3 days. The run from #302 to #484 covered 5 or 6 days. Time passes as slowly as the story demands, and even the most conservative estimates indicate that there may be 2 or 3 months left in the calendar year for the OOTS--possibly more if the Oracle was using a different calendar than the Southern one. More than enough time for a few years' worth of comic.

Years of comic, absolutely. Years of pre-prophecy Belkar? That's a stretch. Unless you're thinking he won't die until sometime near the end of the story, which is certainly a possibility.

Dingle
2008-12-14, 09:06 AM
616 seems to show that belkar may get crystal's dagger.
Anyone else notice that it seemed to shrink and is now smaller?
small enough to be belkar's new dagger.

Assassin89
2008-12-14, 09:30 AM
616 seems to show that belkar may get crystal's dagger.
Anyone else notice that it seemed to shrink and is now smaller?
small enough to be belkar's new dagger.

It did not shrink. The dagger was embedded in the floor of a dead man's house.

Greep
2008-12-14, 09:33 AM
It did not shrink. The dagger was embedded in the floor of a dead man's house.

well the handle is visibly smaller is the point. You could argue that it is a matter of depth in the comic, but I think the last panel and the first panel have the same depth, and of the two the handle is smaller. Strangely, the second line of panels has a closer depth but the dagger isn't as big as in the first set of panels?

Actually that just suggests its an art fudge. Really who cares about ~10 pixels in a dagger size.

drmike
2008-12-14, 02:52 PM
Actually that just suggests its an art fudge. Really who cares about ~10 pixels in a dagger size.

Would be ironic for Belkar though:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html

Hydro Globus
2008-12-14, 03:00 PM
No, that was edition switching. :)

In this case, Belkar will need to wield Crystal's dagger like a short sword. Which I can really see coming if that dagger is better than Belkar'ss (please correct my spelling, I can see it's not good, but have no better idea. Thanks!)

Assassin89
2008-12-15, 11:37 PM

For Durkon, I would suggest Mithral armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral) because it would make him lighter (Daigo would thank me for this) and his reduces his armor check penalty.

I cannot think of any improvements for V though

Kranden
2008-12-15, 11:58 PM
Is this supposed to imply that V is hesitant to use evil means to hir ends?

Because V made it pretty clear that such is not the case.

V only cares about what is effective rather than what is considered good or evil.

dresdor
2008-12-16, 02:17 AM
Unfortunately that "dagger" is clearly a Kurkri. And the Belkster probably won't waste feats on an item he can sell to buy a couple magical daggers.

Ganurath
2008-12-16, 02:32 AM
It would be cool if :belkar: got Crystal's dagger, but wouldn't he need two of them?That's what Bozzok's +4 Bashing Shield is for, because it would be just like a rogue to keep a shield on him while forsaking the sword to appear unarmed.

Revlid
2008-12-16, 08:54 AM
Unfortunately that "dagger" is clearly a Kurkri. And the Belkster probably won't waste feats on an item he can sell to buy a couple magical daggers.

Err...

No. It's not a Kukri. A Kukri is different from a large dagger with a 'cool' hole cut in it.

In any case, Belkar could steal and sell the dagger, but if Crystal shows up again it'd lose one of her distinguishing characteristics (crazy weapon) so his just leaving it is fairly out-of-comic justified.