PDA

View Full Version : The Monumental City Contest

Grey Watcher
2005-07-01, 12:03 PM
The Monumental City Contest

Hello, and welcome to the next Official Contest of the Giant in the Playground Message Boards!

For this contest, participants will be creating a city. As usual, please make this cities usable for your typical D&D setting (such as GreyHawk or the Forgotten Realms). Specific details are OK, for example, if you concieve your city as existing in a particular place in the Forgotten Realms, but the idea is not to present something so rooted in an esoteric setting that it becomes unusable in another one.

For a unique twist, the city must include a monument. What it memorializes, how the populace feels about it, or how old it is are all up to the author. It is only required to be something prominent and important enough that most of the populace has at least heard of it.

Your entry should include:

Introduction: This should be a description of the city through the eyes of a traveler arriving in it for the first time.

Stats: The Dungeon Master's Guide gives stats for cities, including a Size Category, the exact adult population, the demographics, the maximum value of any single item that can be purchased there. (I'll post the specific tables entrants who don't have a DMG will need later today.)

Background Information: Talk here about anything about the city's background. This category is so broad, that I've offered several examples of subcategories. This list is by no means exhaustive or definitive. Feel free to add new subcategories you need or remove those you feel you don't.

Physical Description: The one subcategory that IS required, this should describe local geography, as well as the general layout of the city. Maps are not necessary, though if you feel they'd help, they're certainly welcome.

Arts and Culture: Talk here about how prevalent the arts are in the city, it's developments and how the public responds to it. Recent trends or traditions.

Economics: Talk here about major industries, important imports or exports. You might also discuss the classes and how they interact.

Religion: Talk here about the various religions in the city, how important religion is to the everyday person, or what hierarchies exist within the major religious institutions.

Government: Talk here about the structure of govenment, law enforcement, and political relationships with the rest of the world.

Crime: This section is fair game for demographics on crime, information about organized crime syndacites, rebellions, underground railroads and various other activities that find themselves working against the lawful authorities.

The Monument: This entry is, of course, your chance to describe the monument itself.

Power Struggles: This section should outline major conflicts in the city. Unlike the previous section, this should be a more "active" crisis. It can be recent or longstanding, but it should be a point of serious contention. It can be anything from a virulent Theives' Guild versus a stern government to two rival schools of art. The point is, it should be a major struggle between two forces within the city. Major figures in these conflicts should get minimal stats (race, class, level, and alignment).

Adventure Hooks: Please include two specific and immediate plot/adventure hooks that a DM could throw at his players right off the bat.

You can vote for any complete entry in any one of the following categories:

Best Overall City: Choose the one you feel stands out among the rest as the single best entry.

Best Adventure Hooks: This is a chance to honor that entry that offers the most interesting opportunities for potential players.

Most Original or Wondrous City: This category will recognize the city that has has the most interesting quirk. If something about the city itself made you say "Wow, that's cool/scary/spectacular/amazing," you might consider voting for it in this category.

Most Playable City: This category is for the city that you would most like to play (or DM) in. Note that this is seperate from the adventure hooks section for a reason. That one is specifically about the hooks that the entry provides. This category is about the entry's overall atmosphere and fecundity as a setting for your gaming session. For example, you like the political intrigues of City A, but aren't as fond of the specific plot hooks offered by the author, this is the entry to vote for him in.

Best Monument: This entry is to honor the best individual monument, regardless of the quality of the city around it.

Best Vacation Spot: That's right folks, vote for the city you (the real you, not your character) would most like to spend that week off in.

Grey Watcher's Personal Pick: Unlike the other categories, this will not be voted on. I will simply choose the entry I like best and fashion some sort of award for it. (It'll be a surprise.)

You have until August 1st to finish your entries.

Now, go forth and design!

Winged One
2005-07-01, 12:39 PM
I've already got an idea. A city where nobody who is entirely one race is allowed in. Please don't steal my idea... >:( ;D

EDIT: By the way, when is the deadline?

The Glyphstone
2005-07-01, 12:40 PM
What's the time limit?

Frojoe21
2005-07-01, 12:42 PM
Do you get bonus marks for putting in a map?

Axelgear
2005-07-01, 01:20 PM
Where do you submit it?

Wukei
2005-07-01, 01:37 PM
We don't have to vote if we're submitting a city do we? I don't like to vote when I'm competing.

Safria
2005-07-01, 02:04 PM
Yeah, a) when's the deadline....b) don't suppose a public transport system is really a monument is it....never mind think i've got an idea for the monument :D.

And allready had the city in my head for days....I echoe Frojoes comment as I've allready been doodling maps. Could their even be like a "best maps?" prize or is that giving unfair advantage to artists?(just an idea).

Anyway....going to get going on this :D

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-07-01, 05:00 PM
Deadline will most likely be midnight, Eastern US time zone, August 1st (I can say this 'cause I'm the one locks the thread ;D But GW has final say there).

Submit entries by starting a thread with [City] at the beginning of the name.

As for maps, unless GW adds a category, I'd say they're a nice touch, but how much it matters will depend on the individual voters.

No one has to vote when that comes up (not til August), but it's encouraged that as many people do so as possible, including people with entries. The Voting is secret, so don't worry on that count. We do encourage people not to Vote for themselves, but you can if you really want to. We'll just make fun of you (kidding!).

When you do go to Vote, please please please! read all the entries before making your decision. We also encourage you to help each other out in the creation process with constructive criticism. Just remember to play nice.

Now, for me to go work on my entry...

MostlyHarmless
2005-07-01, 05:28 PM
Well, whether they're allowed or not I can't say, but for those interested who are (like me) artistically challenged, here is a good free piece of mapping software.
http://www.gryc.ws/autorealm.htm

I wish I had another 5 hours a day to enter this competition. :'(

finn
2005-07-01, 05:31 PM
Sounds great! I cant wait to see what comes of this!

Wukei
2005-07-01, 05:34 PM
I don't think I really have time ;D
But I really like the idea of the city I'm producing, so I had to try it.

*goes to sabotage the Glyphstone to give everyone else a chance*

(for mods that take threats seriously, it was just a joke)

The Glyphstone
2005-07-01, 06:04 PM
*reinforces firewall*

I need to do some serious thinking, I have no clue what to enter. It'll win every category for sure, but I dunno what it'll be... ;D ???

Mick_the_Rogue
2005-07-01, 06:07 PM
I've sent the assassins out already Glyphstone, its too late for you.

Muahahahahaha!

Seriously thopugh, good luck to all...including myself.

The Glyphstone
2005-07-01, 06:10 PM
assassins? pfeh, i've got ninjas. With sword-chucks, so there!

And yes, good luck to everybody.

Remember, vote for my entry above all others...

Sneak
2005-07-01, 06:18 PM
Hmm...sounds interesting. I think I have an idea..."The City of Troubles..."

Safria
2005-07-01, 07:10 PM
Glyphstone...the jedi mind tricks are cheating (Highlight his post if your confused :P)

The Glyphstone
2005-07-01, 07:13 PM
bah..foiled again... >:(

setenza
2005-07-01, 08:06 PM
Is there any problem with having more than one entry?

The Glyphstone
2005-07-01, 08:46 PM
I suppose not, though it'd be twice as much work and you'd be half as likely to have one of them win...

In other news, *ding* lightbulb glows over head! I've got an idea.

Cantankerous
2005-07-01, 08:57 PM
Well, I've posted my city - Wyrm's Breath. I kind of generated the idea on the way to my medical check-up. I have mixed opinions about it, since I would have preferred making something individual (or a few individual things) like a party or a set of magic items.

Oh, well. Would appreciate feedback. Thanks.

Winged One
2005-07-02, 12:08 AM
I'm gonna bow out because I'd probably forget to finish it.

Boomer
2005-07-02, 02:18 AM
Is there any problem with having more than one entry?

You want to tell a tale of TWO cities?

LeifVignirsson
2005-07-02, 03:04 AM
Well, it wasn't a CITY, persay but mine is up and hopefully it will cut the mustard... Speaking of cutting mustard...

You want to tell a tale of TWO cities?

I was waiting for someone to say that when I read that post earlier...
;D

Winter_Wolf
2005-07-02, 04:52 AM
Glyphstone: sword-chucks? Are those like wood chuks? ;D Yah, I know, I'm a jackass.

Is there a minimum size for the city? I mean, does it need to be a metropolis, or can we go for something like a small/large town? Seems like a stupid question maybe, but recently got into a "disagreement" over semantics when I was doing a translation....

The Glyphstone
2005-07-02, 07:15 AM
Like nun-chucks, only with swords. Reference: 8-bit Theater.

And wow, 1 day into the contest and we have 19 entries..tough race to see if anybody will win...18-way TIE!

PokeTheBard
2005-07-02, 07:23 AM
Hehe... sword-chuks... It is so pathetically not funny that every time I see that little icon with the 8-bit sword chuks I fall into hysteria. *sigh*

Mick_the_Rogue
2005-07-02, 07:25 AM
Aww man, I had hoped I would at least stand a fighting chance, but with 19 entries I feel I am, at the very least, moderately screwed

Heh, this is what I get for going to sleep last night.

Grey Watcher
2005-07-02, 10:09 AM
Yes, the deadline is August 1st, I apologize for not posting it earlier. Maps are not necessary, but visual aids are always nice.

Wukei
2005-07-02, 10:21 AM
Man...if there was only a picture contest...nah, I wouldn't even win THAT.

PokeTheBard
2005-07-02, 10:25 AM
'Glerith, The Shifting City' is pretty much done, though with a month to go i'll no doubt go into plenty more detail. Any comments and suggestions more than welcome. Thank you.

Sneak
2005-07-02, 11:08 AM
I AM done, except maybe adding more plot hooks (only have 2), and except for the stats. I don't have the DMG, so I'll have to wait until GW posts it, or anyone else. Or has he already...?

Anyway, I might refine and review it a lot before the deadline though, and maybe even enter a 2nd city.

Wukei
2005-07-02, 12:23 PM
Town Size - Population - GP Limit
Thorp - 20-80 - 40 gp
Hamlet - 81-400 - 100 gp
Village - 401-900 - 200 gp
Small Town - 901-2,000 - 800 gp
Large Town - 2,001-5,000 - 3,000 gp
Small City - 5,001-12,000 - 15,000 gp
Large City - 12,001-25,000 - 40,000 gp
Metropolis - 25,001 or more - 100,000 gp

hope this helps...sorry, I can't figure out how to make a table, exactly...

DeadlyGrim
2005-07-02, 02:23 PM
Wow, this is almost exactly what I've been waiting to do. And I have the perfect idea as well! Gal-Deshret, an ancient port city built atop the buried ruins of an even more ancient necropolis of a near-forgotten king whose deeds are so evil that his name was stricken from all records.

I don't think I'm going to win the best vacation spot award (unless you people are really crazy)!

Martinus
2005-07-02, 02:29 PM
well, some people like port-cities? :P

I have a nice idea as well. Even when it doesn't win anything I'll enjoy it myself!

No, not telling anything.

DeadlyGrim
2005-07-02, 03:11 PM
Oh, you'll see why it wouldn't make a good vacation spot. Oh, you'll all see!

And as a hint, let me just say this: Nephren-Ka.

ChaotikLawfull
2005-07-02, 04:35 PM
Hrm...Would people really want to go on vacation to place where necromancy is common and undead are 12% of the population? ;D

Freeman333
2005-07-02, 04:48 PM
I'm in! Got a city already written up, since it was the setting for the first adventure for the campaign I've been running...just got to write it up in contest-format and I'm good to go. Mine's not a bad vacation spot, either...far fewer undead than some, anyway.

(Oh, and PoketheGaara? Don't know why I haven't seen you around the message boards before, but just so I'm clear: Gaaratar = awesome. Naruto 4ever!)

PokeTheBard
2005-07-02, 05:00 PM
Lol, i've had a multitude of alias' such as PokeTheBard, PokeThePirate, PoketheSlaaric, PokeTheJounin and now PokeTheGaara.

Naruto rules!! Gaara is quite obviously the best character though ;D

This nifty Gaaratar was the work of Sneak. Good innit?

Looking forward to reading your entry.

Wukei
2005-07-02, 05:09 PM
If you guys need an editor, I have helped edit one entry, and I'm willing to help edit more.

It just makes it easier to read and people don't have to force themselves to read an entry if the spellings are correct and you have the correct grammatical structure for your sentences.

Trust me, I edit better than I write. And I will not try to sabotage anyone. (Unless you're the Glyphstone...but he's won so much, I doubt he needs an editor)

btw...that was a joke. Glyphstone, I'll edit yours, too, if you need it.

Winged One
2005-07-02, 05:13 PM
(Oh, and PoketheGaara? Don't know why I haven't seen you around the message boards before, but just so I'm clear: Gaaratar = awesome. Naruto 4ever!)

His name is usually PokeThe{insert avatar here}. We call him Poke.

Sneak
2005-07-02, 05:47 PM
His name is usually PokeThe{insert avatar here}. We call him Poke.

Um, we do? Don't make generalizations. And back on topic, I have an idea for a new city, but maybe I won't do 2...

PokeTheBard
2005-07-02, 05:54 PM
To be fair, the majority do refer to me as Poke lol.

The Glyphstone
2005-07-02, 05:58 PM
Yeah, he's Poke for short. He's friendly, and not too dangerous unless you keep poking him too long. Candy also works as a distraction. ;D

BTW, we're up to 24 entries now. That's like the past 3 contests combined.

PokeTheBard
2005-07-02, 06:00 PM
Of course since I outclass everyone here, I think I should split the awards 50/50 with you Glyph. ;) ;D

The Glyphstone
2005-07-02, 06:10 PM
We'll ahve to wait and see. If all these entries get finished, it'll probably end up as a 24-way tie in every category.

AdInfinitum
2005-07-02, 06:21 PM
Great! I can post my idea here, instead of worrying about running a campaign for it myself!

PokeTheBard
2005-07-02, 06:22 PM
I have full confidence in you winning at least one. It'd be strange if you didn't because your a natural at this world-building lark.

[Plea for sympathy vote]I on the other hand am only joking. I am doing this for a laugh, I have no real ambition to win anything.[/Plea for sympathy vote]

Robert_Frazer
2005-07-02, 07:17 PM
Well, with a title like "Kheimurgan, the Weeping Sore" and all the attendant details for it that will follow in the next few days, my city certainly isn't going to win the "Best Holiday Spot" category... unless Thompson Cook offers a special discount on Masochist Tours. ;)

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-07-03, 12:31 AM
Garrith's Rest (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11203650 06;start=0#0) is up. :)

LeifVignirsson
2005-07-03, 04:28 AM
My goodness, everyone and their mother has thrown in their hat into this contest... Very interesting indeed! Good luck to you all!

Martinus
2005-07-03, 12:11 PM
Is it allowed to post multiple cities?

Grey Watcher
2005-07-03, 12:20 PM
Yes, you may enter multiple cities. Just give each entry its own thread.

DeadlyGrim
2005-07-03, 11:29 PM
Is it allowed to post multiple cities?

Hehe, that reminds me of Silence of the Lambs:
It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again. Now it places the lotion in the basket. It places the lotion in the basket.

Anyways, it looks like a whole lot of people are getting into this. Current count: 29 people. If it wasn't for the fact that most of 'em, right now at least, are placeholders, I would be very, very scared. As it is, I'm just slightly worried.

Martinus
2005-07-04, 04:13 AM
okay. Well, I've got lots of more ideas, so perhaps I'll make another entry. First finish my current one, of course.

Wukei
2005-07-04, 07:24 AM
I am an owner of multiple cities! And I shall finish the second, the other's already done.

PokeTheBard
2005-07-04, 07:39 AM
I guess i'll knock up a second entry but I probably won't have it entered into the the actual contest... Who knows.

My theory is that if I spend twice as much time on one it'll be better.

Wukei
2005-07-04, 07:50 AM
Well my first one had no chance of winning some of the entries, and my second one just popped into my head and said "post me...." in that creepy little voice. So I had to do it. Now I need to finish it.

Thayan
2005-07-04, 04:02 PM
Xoralin (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11202760 63) has more entries filled out.

zeorge
2005-07-04, 08:48 PM
Geez... I picked the wrong contest to be my first... :-/

Ah, well, I'll just have to try my best... :P

EDIT: BTW, there seem to be more stats for a city than Wukei put up... with my DMG in the mail (I just ordered 3.5e online), what exactly are the stats for a city?

Oh, never mind. I'll just work with those given. :P

Done! Nokarr is up.
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11205357 55
I'm not very satisfied with this one and will probably make another though...

heretic
2005-07-04, 09:14 PM
Eledinas is up...take a look

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11205252 57

akumadaimyo
2005-07-05, 12:15 AM
A city of all humanoids would be interesting and original idea if no one has done that already.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-07-05, 12:40 AM
Question: my whole concept is kinda geared toward the Shadowbane Inquisitor and Iniltrator Prestige Classes. Would anyone be offended if I gave several of my main NPCs and implied that many of the incidental ones have a non-OGL class?

PokeTheBard
2005-07-05, 05:10 AM
[City] Glerith; The Shifting City. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11202983 41;start=0#0)

Updated! now with picture of the Monument and additional introductary information!

Premier
2005-07-06, 02:25 PM
I think it's a silly idea to announce every entry here when you can just see them in the forum, but what the hell...

Gorshakarum (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11206738 47), the Bloody Spiked Shield is up now. Not done yet, there's still quite a ways to go, but comments are welcome.

Kross
2005-07-06, 03:39 PM
Glad I just got done designing a city for my campaign. It should be perfect for this.

Will work it up into a write-up on the comp (it is in a spiral notebook right now. hi-tech!) and get it up on here before long.

Turin
2005-07-06, 07:00 PM
It seemed to be required to officially announce your thread here in previous contests, though I don't know if that is still the case. Anyway I hereby announce mine.

Visit Luvul (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11204796 14), my completed submission for the Monumental City Contest. You will find a city full of political intrigue, competing Guilds and religions, and a spectacular monument. Go take a look!

I already added the first NPC, possibly more to come. Maybe there will also be a map. Anyway, my submission is finished and can and should be voted on. I will be on vacation the rest of the month so this is my last shot at advertising. Conclusion:
Vote, vote, vote, vote for my Monumental City Contest submission!

;) Túrin

Edit: fixed the link. *sigh*

Wukei
2005-07-06, 07:11 PM
Ohhh...we're supposed to put completed contest entries here, huh?

Well, here's Zycoraith (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11204346 65) and Karista. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11202387 70)

To be honest, I like Zycoraith more, and though I put more thought into Karista, Zycoraith just seemed to flow out of my little head and onto the computer. So, who am I to say no to a cool city like Zycoraith.

Anyway, I'll be adding more pictures to the Zycoraith entry, but other than that, these two are pretty much done, but all of the comments of people willing to help to make it better are very welcome.

See, Glyphstone, I sabotage things by making better entries than other people. :P

Peregrine
2005-07-06, 08:06 PM
I think it's a silly idea to announce every entry here when you can just see them in the forum, but what the hell...
The idea (at least in the last contest) was that you announce that your entry is complete in this thread. That way our illustrious mod knows which ones belong on the voting list and which remain incomplete and ineligible at the end of the month.

It's great to see that several are finished already, though. We had a lot unfinished for the last one. :)

Sophistemon
2005-07-06, 10:14 PM
I posted Rif'Slar, City of Crystal Prisms. I hope you like it: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11207023 68

EDIT

Vote for me! I need the boost to my self-esteem!

LeifVignirsson
2005-07-07, 12:42 AM
oops, we are supposed to annouce that they are complete? Well, mine has been up for a while, so I gues sit doesn't matter too much, but it is finished ;D

Grundistad (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11202861 57)

Cantankerous
2005-07-07, 08:36 PM
Nocta is finished. Please comment - you know you want to.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11205088 51

Khuxan
2005-07-08, 09:41 PM
Pretty sure Nautili, City of Shells (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11207122 63;start=0#0) is complete. Enjoy!

Safria
2005-07-09, 06:58 AM
Estamaris is pretty much done. There may be a FEW edits before the deadline, but it's all there :D

Estamaris (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11202620 46;start=0#0)

IonizedChicken
2005-07-09, 08:06 AM
I suppose you can still join? cuz I got numerous ideas already.

Grey Watcher
2005-07-09, 05:24 PM
You can join anytime until we lock the threads for voting, which will happen on August 1.

IonizedChicken
2005-07-09, 06:04 PM
Excellent...

The Demented One
2005-07-10, 03:21 PM
Illithihumana (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11202749 62)-Where Humans and Illithids live in harmony.

The Vorpal Tribble
2005-07-11, 08:26 AM
Just out of curiosity, there any type of prize? ;)

Aran
2005-07-11, 08:53 AM
Trying my hand at this once more. Who knows, maybe I'll actually finish my entry this time.

Blue_C.
2005-07-11, 12:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, there any type of prize? ;)

Bragging rights. See The glyphstone's signature for an example.

The Glyphstone
2005-07-11, 12:42 PM
Yeah, pretty much just bragging rights. Helps if you win big, because bonuses to Bragging Rights stack. ;D

Still plodding along on my entry, BTW. I'tll be good as usual, but I'm more concerned that my genius will be drowned amidst the deluge of entries. :)

Kulatu
2005-07-11, 05:38 PM
Well, not that we need another submission, but I've already got a concept and I'm working on fine tuning it. ^_^

Wukei
2005-07-11, 05:40 PM
We'd love to see your submission. ;) Good luck to you.

ShneekeyTheLost
2005-07-11, 07:43 PM
Westhaven, the capital of the frontier, last chance for civilization (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11211251 03)

Not quite done yet, but almost there.

Retro
2005-07-14, 04:48 AM
Alziet, the Necropolis, and Surrounding Areas (http://www.GiantITP.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11213306 27) has been added. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

Applebone
2005-07-15, 05:52 AM
Hi everyone. new member to the boards, haven't been around long.

anyway, i would really like to join this contest, it looks like a lot of fun, and i got a couple of ideas already.
unfortunately, i have only a very bare knowledge of D and D, so much of the demographics are far beyond me. Is this a huge problem? if it is, could you point me in the general direction to find out what i'll need to know for this contest?

The Glyphstone
2005-07-15, 06:01 AM
The only book you'd really need is the DMG, it has guidelines for making a city. Beyond that, it's all just your imagination.

Wukei
2005-07-15, 08:56 AM
Actually, you don't even need the DMG, really...I put the stats on here back a few pages ago, and the rest of the rules are on the first page where GW posted 'em.

Applebone
2005-07-15, 09:13 AM
Thanks guys, much obliged. ;D

I've posted up the first city now, Olin-sari. have a lookee if you feel like and tell me whatcha think.

EDIT: linky to Olin-sari http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11214330 60

Nerd-o-rama
2005-07-19, 01:44 AM
Just so's everyone's aware, I'm throwing in the towel this month. Who'd have thought I'd get busy all of a sudden?

Kulatu
2005-07-19, 02:19 AM
I don't know if I'll even be able to compete, my city may just become a waste of time. People always read the better known members first, and anybody who does read mine will probably be unimpressed. Eh, I'll post it anyway...just gotta keep working.

Sucros
2005-07-19, 07:34 PM
The city of Copperclaw is fleshed out and ready to be read. I'd love any comments.http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11218156 24

Adghar
2005-07-20, 07:43 PM
It's so admirable, human perseverence (or is it ignorance?). I mean, all these entries and from the most famous contest winners, even one with an Illustrator map, and yet the people keep pouring in. Ever more entries, from ever more unheard-of as well as a couple heard-of people. I'd've given up hope by now.

Sucros
2005-07-21, 02:37 AM
That's kind of cruel. My first contest entry ever was a winner, for example. Some of the newcomer's entries are great. Also, while this is a contest board, people such as myself are as interested in the creative process come by to make an entery and the feedback process (or lack thereof). It's as much a campaign creativity board as anything else. I know durring the magic item contest I foud alot of ideas and thought "i'm stealing a part of that".

If you truly feel bad for the underdogs, reply to their posts (especially ones with no responses yet). Give compliments, critiques. Suggest your own improvements.

Fun > Winning

LeifVignirsson
2005-07-21, 11:06 AM
^ I'd have to agree, if you think that the others are out of hope, then reply to their posts, give them critiques and let them know so they can make a better and more sustainable product.

Sure, it might be unfair to watch the "regulars" get noticed with all of their hits, but also keep in mind that it is BECAUSE they are regulars they get the looks first. That doesn't rule out that someone can't surprise the heck out of anyone and win, of course...

Look at me, I put mine in around the fourth and I see that there has been only 69 hits... I still have SOME sort of faith that SOMEONE got some enjoyment out of it, right?

Wukei
2005-07-21, 11:21 AM
Even those of us that are well known (even if we haven't entered a contest before) are getting a little shifty. I thought it'd be an easy win for myself, especially for my second entry: Zycoraith (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11204346 65). However, there's too many entries for me to sort through...I'm gonna go insane.

Also, it's hard for me to sort through them because I'm editing so much for my magazine that if I see anything that is hard to read I'm like "nope, uh uh, not gonna read messed up articles all day AND messed up contest entries."

So here's a little tip, guys, if you want me to vote for you and think it's something I'd really like, PM me. I'm busy, but I'm more willing to check out an entry (and vote) if it's well written. I'm also looking for writers for the magazine, so keep that in mind if you're interested in writing more than contest entries, you might PM me your contest entry so that I can say "yea, I'd like to have that person as a writer for our magazine."

Retro
2005-07-21, 11:41 AM
So here's a little tip, guys, if you want me to vote for you and think it's something I'd really like, PM me.

And yea, was Wukei's Message Box filled to capacity, and thus did the Playground of the Giant so crumble into ruin, and all was broken and undone in that age of terrible ruin, and none survived. ;D

Premier
2005-07-21, 01:11 PM
You know, at this point I'm starting to think that maybe all competition prizes should be simply revoked and every contestant should get a uniform "Participated in July Comp, Good Job" award or something. I mean, with so many entries I doubt there will be more than... maybe 5 people who'll read all of them before voting, if that many. Without the voters being fully informed, the results would be skewed in favour of whoever has the highest name recognition, and IMO it would be better not to give out any prizes than to give out prizes unfairly.

The Glyphstone
2005-07-21, 01:14 PM
Name recognition is no guarantee of winning...I know, there will be an organized conspiracy to ensure I win nothing simply because I've won so much... ;D

I plan to read all of them that are finished.

sktarq
2005-07-21, 06:30 PM
Okay with this many entries I might as well jump in...read all of yours too....that may take a week buy WTH it should be fun.

snow_cheetah
2005-07-21, 07:42 PM
hi hi

I am finishing up my entry as well, what the heck, though I must admit I am both dreading and looking forward to reading all the other entries. ;)

Sucros
2005-07-21, 09:56 PM
The funny thing is I thought that this competition would warrent the fewest entries, what with it being the most labour intensive. Boy was I wrong.

Adghar
2005-07-21, 10:47 PM
That's not what I meant :'( I wasn't saying newbies are bad at this, I was saying that there are so many that I would think the chance of anyone winning is lowered.
"from the most famous" was just an especially. If this was the first GitP contest ever (thus no famous people) I would still have the same reaction. By now, if I'd submitted an entry, I would've given up (If I wasn't finished, that is). Unheard-of people have a reduced chance because I know there are people out there (Though maybe they may not be here, so I guess you're right) that would ignore them and either only browse and vote for the heard-of people or just ignore the entries alltogether and vote for the person they like best. My point is, there are so many contest entries and all of them so detailed and creative that unless you have a gift at making monumental cities, you're just going to be another one of them up against many others, like winning the lottery (and if you don't work hard at your entry, then you're going to lose fer shure). I myself am not going to be voting or entering, both are too tedious and too competitive. No offense meant to anyone.

Seraph
2005-07-21, 11:02 PM
My Entry. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11213269 23)

snow_cheetah
2005-07-22, 06:22 PM
hi hi

Ahh, but the victory is not wherein the fun lies. The fun is in the process of making. ;)

P.S. Some people prefer simplicity.

Premier
2005-07-23, 03:48 PM
Well, Gorshakarum, the Bloody Spiked Shield (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11206738 47;start=0#0) is now officially done and up. Done, unless I suddenly remember something I forgot earlier, that is.

And leave some comments, y'all.

Angry_Bill
2005-07-26, 06:43 PM
When does voting start?

After Aug 1?

And my two coppers on scrap the contest for awards of participation - ppphhhbbbttttt!

If it wasn't a contest you wouldn't see this many submissions.

And therefore you'd miss the following two benefits:

There is good stuff in all if you are willing to look.

There is good stuff in the process from the best writer to the worst.

Bill

PS - I'll post a truly terrible entry before the deadline so you folks can all feel better. :)

PPS - Edited because I type too fast when I'm angry.

Pyritefoolsgold
2005-07-27, 12:41 AM
Khallis, Gateway to the East http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11219197 88 is up.

Sucros
2005-07-27, 01:43 AM
Is there any chance I can vote in advance if I'm going to , say, be in mexico far away from the internet for the week after voting?

Also, I *still* don't have a reply on my entry. I've made a point of commenting on many other people's entries, and having the favour returned would be great.

Angry_Bill
2005-07-27, 03:57 PM
In the beginning of the thread someone mentioned something about posting some info on stats for those of us who are DMG clueless.

I looked and couldn't find said info.

It is very possible that I am just dumb and completely missed it.

Could someone post it again and help me be smart?

I'd appreciate it seeing how we are on a deadline and all. :)

Bill

BlueMagus
2005-07-28, 01:09 AM
Entry: Rainbow Falls, City of Hot Springs and Portal to the World is complete.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11221376 79

metaofantioch
2005-07-28, 02:37 AM
Posted Allestraat, City of Headless Kings

[edit] Finished, as far as it has all the requirements met. If I get time (fat chance of that) I will try to add more.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11225324 41

Arakano
2005-07-28, 02:26 PM
Alright, I post one too. :) I finish it sunday - itīs running till then, isnīt it?

And please, be careful with crushing my ego, it is my first participation. ;D

Deleran
2005-07-28, 05:13 PM
I would like to compete, but unfortunately I only have access to the SRD. Are there any game mechanics I need to know not covered in this thread or the SRD (which is sadly lacking in world builing information)?

BlueMagus
2005-07-29, 01:13 AM
Okay, WOTC - sue me, I'm posting the DMG stuff that for the life of me I can't find in the SRD. This is just a summary, if you want the really juicy meat, buy a DMG - they go cheap on Ebay, especially the 3.0 versions!

City building 101: Population

d% | Town Size | Population | GP Limit
01-10 | Thorp | 20 - 80 | 40gp
11-30 | Hamlet | 81-400 | 100 gp
31-50 | Village | 401-900 | 200 gp
51-70 | SmallTown | 901-2000 | 800 gp
71-85 | Large Town | 2001-5000 | 3000 gp
86-95 | Small City | 5001-12000 | 15000 gp
96-99 | Large City | 12001-25000 | 40000 gp
100 | Metropolis | 25000 + | 100000 gp

The population listed is adult pop. Number of nonadults range from 10-40% of the adult pop. Gold piece limit is indicator of price of most expensive item available in community. Nothing that costs more than a community gp limit is available for purchase in the community. Objects may exist, but just aren't for sale. Anything under the price is assumed to be available, mundane or magical item alike.

Ready cash is the cash available for the community to spend on adventurer goods. Find ready cash by this formula: (0.5* GP_LIMIT ) * (0.1 * POPULATION)
A hamlet of 90 people can buy 9 gems, assuming each is worth 50gp, or 450gp of adventurer gems before local cash reserves are exhausted. Also, the ready cash goes the other way. If the PCs wanted to buy longswords, they'll find them available, because they cost less than the gp limit, but they could only buy 30 swords at 15 gp each, due to the 450 ready cash limit. The limit applies whenever buying or selling in a community.

Power Center
Random generation: Each scale of town has modifier to a d20 roll of -1, +0, +1, +2, +3, +4, +5 and +6 respectively. A small city rolls twice, large city three times and met rolls four times, so each of those has enough population to support 2,3 and 4 power centers. Your roll of 13 or less yields a conventional power center. 14-18 yields a Nonstandard power center, and a 19 or more gets a Magical power center. If you have a conventional power center, then roll D100. 5 or lower means there is a monstrous power center in addition to the conventional one.

Conventional means you have a mundane, normal form of government or leader (mayor, council, democratic, monarchy, etc).

Monstrous means you have some monster impacting the community (dragon asking for maidens, mind flayers underground, etc.)

Nonstandard means you have a seemingly conventional leadership with power that lies in other hands, like a guild or group of elders, etc.

Magical means you have clerics, magi, etc. in charge.

Alignment of power centers:
Percentage: 01-35 = LG, 36-39 = NG, 40-41 = CG, 42-61 = LN, 62-63 = N, 64 = CN, 65-90 = LE, 91-98=NE, 99-100 = CE.
LG is a pretty obvious community. Coded laws, people obey.
NG power center rarely influences residents unless the community is in need.
CG influences community by helping needy and opposing restristrictions on freedom (this is kind of a western concept - I personally think the DMG took this a step too far mentionning the freedom thing, but that is a topic for another day).
LN Codified laws, followed to the letter. Those in power insist all visiters and citizens follow rules.
N: rarely influences community, power center busy pursuing personal goals.
CN - unpredictable, influencing community at random
LE - laws are obeyed out of fear
NE - oppression, subjugation, dire future for citizens
CE - unpredictable, and horrible in the worst way.

Opposing alignments of power centers mean a conflict of some sort exists within hte city.

Authorities - Constable/sheriff, whatever:
Roll d100; 1-60 = highest level warrior; 61-80 = 2nd best fighter; 81-100 = highest level fighter.

For every 100 people in town, there is 1 full time guard or soldier. For every 20 people, you have one conscript that may be brought up to fight within a few hours.

NPC's - to determine the highest, roll on the next table, using the following modifiers.

Thorp: -3, Hamlet -2, Village -1, Small town +0, Large town +3, Small city +6 (roll 2x), Larce city +9(roll3x) Metropolis +12(roll4x). On thorp and hamlet, if you roll 96-100, add +10 to the level of the ranger or druid.
Table lists chartacter class and what you add to the previously listed modifiers to get the highest level NPC of that class:
For adept, bard, cleric, druid: roll 1d6.
For aristocrat, barbarian, monk, sorcerer, wizard: roll 1d4.
For Commoner, roll 4d4.
For Experts, roll 3d4.
For Fighter or rogue, roll 1d8.
For warrior, roll 2d4.

Example, the thorp has a community modifier of -3. I roll to see the highest level cleric, and get a 4. I subtract 3 (the modifier) and get 1. Therefore the priest running the local temple is 1st level. For the metropolis, I roll 4 and add 12. The highest level priest so far is 16th. I say so far, because I get 3 more high level priests.

Take the highest level character, and divide the level by two. In addition to the level 16 priest, I have two level 8's. But it doesn't stop there, I also have 4 level 4's, 8 level 2's, and 16 level 1's. Then I have to do this for each of the three other priests in the metropolis.

That gives you a good idea of what the character classes are like in the city, in case a PC wants a weapon made or magic item created, or go to town to resurrect. Not all towns can bring back the dead, you know.

Lastly, Racial demographics:
Isolated towns have 96% human, 2% halfling, 1% elf, 1% other.
Mixed = 79% human, 9% halfling, 5%elf, 3% dwarf, 2% gnome, 1% half-elf, 1% half orc.
Integrated towns have 37% human, 20% halfling,18%elf,10%dwarf, 7% gnome, 5%half-elf, 3% half orc.

All these tables and numbers are adjustable of course. If you have another dominant race besides human, put them on top and place humans in #2, unless your culture and area dictate otherwise.

That pretty much sums up the DMG treatise on city creation. Personally, I feel the Dragon magazine articles cover more. I'm sure there's a lot of D20 or non-d20 publications that cover much more. Maybe there's a thread on that topic?

Deleran
2005-07-29, 01:17 AM
Thanks a bunch :). I used to have access to a DMG until I left for college, at which point my playgroup broke up, and somehow the DMG that I had bought didn't end up in my hands :-/.

Arakano
2005-07-29, 02:48 AM
Is there some special award for "Best foreign entry"? :D

Because IF there is: Iīm from old europe, and I LOVE little golden guys. 8)

Rimx
2005-07-29, 04:26 PM
I've been kind of busy but I hope to finish my entry before the deadline. Does the contest end at the start of Aug 1 (Sun midnight) or at the end(monday midnight)? Is that Eastern standard time?

The Glyphstone
2005-07-29, 05:47 PM
Incenderius, the Doorway of Fire, is DONE.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11202660 10

BlueMagus
2005-07-30, 02:44 PM
I know it's late coming, but I now have a random city generator available! It's all text-based right now, but does the dirty work of the DMG tables, if you want to get the facts on a quick and dirty city. It generates population, then derives all the DMG factual data based on population and alignment. Give it a try at http://www.oneale.net/gaming/d20/city.asp

You can leave the population field blank to have it generate one randomly, or put in your own number to see what pops up.

snow_cheetah
2005-07-30, 09:01 PM
hi hi

Arlinfort is finished:

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11222734 80

Peregrine
2005-07-31, 02:14 PM
Lascorem, Bastion of the Faithful (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11203337 55;start=0#0) is now complete for contest purposes.

I may yet edit it before the deadline (especially if anyone provides feedback *hint hint*), and I'll certainly be working on the map, which doesn't form an integral part of the entry, since its completion is far too much work to get done in time! The entry (including the plan of the monument) is, however, ready for voting if I don't have anything to add.

Arakano
2005-07-31, 03:22 PM
Nocera Hatra, jewel of the gnomish coast, is finished. :)

I hope I wonīt get penalised for including 4 adventure hooks instead of 2. ;)

SirAnon
2005-07-31, 08:57 PM
Godsfall is done, i guess. Hope everyone likes it! ;D

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11220351 03

Robert_Frazer
2005-07-31, 09:48 PM
The City of Kheimurgan (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11202581 03;start=0#5) has now been scribed into a complete state - somewhat last-minute, I know, but I assure you that that hasn't harmed it at all.

Anyway, go read it! Give feedback! Marvel at it! Admire it! Celebrate it! Vote for it! ;)

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-08-01, 12:06 AM
It is now after 12:01 AM, so the creation portion of the contest is over. I'm posting this because it took me the last 11 minutes just to make sure I'd opened all 55 or so entries, so its gonna be a while getting them all locked. Congrats, you guys, you outdid yourselves (in volume at the very least!) with this one. Jerks... now I'm gonna be locking threads for, like, an hour ;)

Let the Great Locking begin!

Everyman
2005-08-01, 12:47 AM
Ah, nuts. I just finished typing up everything, and I find the threads locked. Guess that was midnight from the EASTERN time zone. Forgot to keep in mind it was for Eastern, and not Central. Darn time zones! Oh, well...serves me right for waiting till the last minute. ;D
Well, guess I'll update it later. Good luck to everyone. :)

Robert_Frazer
2005-08-01, 04:00 PM
Now that our entries have been submitted, might I ask what the protocol is for voting? Will a voting thread be created, or do we address our votes by P.M. to Gorbash Kazdar or Grey Watcher? How long do the polls stay open for?

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-08-01, 05:06 PM
Well, first we have to make sure we have an accurate list of the qualified entries, which is gonna take a little bit, seeing as there are about 55 potential ones, and a lot of them are pretty long.

But, in any case, there will be a new thread posted soon that will list the entire protocol. In brief, it'll list all the different prize categories, give you a "dummy" account to send votes to, and cover some other info. Usually there is a week to vote after the Vote thread is posted, though we may need more time for this one, given the number of entries and the length of those entries.

LeifVignirsson
2005-08-01, 06:34 PM
Usually there is a week to vote after the Vote thread is posted, though we may need more time for this one, given the number of entries and the length of those entries.

What, no instant gratification? I mean, really... Shouldn't everyone have voted four months ago in anticipation of this?
;D ::)

Look forward to seeing that up there, I would love to get involved with the voting process as well...

Gamebird
2005-08-03, 04:08 PM
I hereby withdraw my entry. I never got around to finishing it. Too much going on.