PDA

View Full Version : Druid Weapons [3.5]

Runeclaw
2008-12-12, 06:34 PM
Ok, this may be a dumb idea, but I have this idea for a Druid, but I'd really like him to be able to use a Great Sword and a Long Bow. I hate to use two feats on Martial Weapon Profficiency, but I don't want to take a level of something else and lose caster level. Is there any other way?

Kantolin
2008-12-12, 06:38 PM
While it's probably not what you want, you can also be an elf, which would get you longbow proficiency.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. I think somewhere you can find a class which advances divine spellcasting while netting you martial weapon proficiency, though - check the complete divine.

It may be easier, depending on why you want the greatsword, to go with a longsword and hold it in both hands (through being the aformentioned elf).

Chineselegolas
2008-12-12, 06:39 PM
Be an elf and the longbow is sorted.
As for the greatsword... Well you could just use it untrained an accept the -4.
Or alternatively get a skillful (+2 enhancement) greatsword. Removes the untrained penalty

Moriato
2008-12-12, 06:40 PM
Well there's the militia feat from one of the forgotten realms books that gives you *all* martial weapons, instead of just one, but has to be take at 1st level, I think. Also being an elf would give you longbow and longsword, I believe. Not quite the same, but close.

Edit: Bah, ninja'd. Does elf still give you longsword as well or am I thinking 2nd ed?

Gorbash
2008-12-12, 06:42 PM
There's a regional feat in Player's Guide to Faerun, it's called Militia that gets you proficiency with all martial weapons.

Tacoma
2008-12-12, 06:44 PM
Call it a greatsword but use the statistics for a weapon you CAN use. In all respects except appearance the weapon acts like one that you can use.

monty
2008-12-12, 07:11 PM
If you can find an outsider race you like, they automatically gain all martial proficiencies.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-12, 08:39 PM
Ok, this may be a dumb idea, but I have this idea for a Druid, but I'd really like him to be able to use a Great Sword and a Long Bow. I hate to use to feats on Martial Weapon Profficiency, but I don't want to take a level of something else and lose caster level. Is there any other way?What's the Character concept, and is there a reason Flame Blade doesn't work? Also, I recommend losing Wildshape for Aspect of Nature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#wildShapeVariantAspectOfN ature) or similar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid), since you can't use weapons while you're a Bear.

MeklorIlavator
2008-12-12, 09:29 PM
What's the Character concept, and is there a reason Flame Blade doesn't work? Also, I recommend losing Wildshape for Aspect of Nature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#wildShapeVariantAspectOfN ature) or similar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid), since you can't use weapons while you're a Bear.

Well, he could be an ape.

Leon
2008-12-13, 06:12 AM
1 lvl of Barbarian

Edit: oh didnt see the QQ on losing a caster level section

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-12-13, 06:56 AM
Get one level of Dragonslayer from Draconomicon. All you need is Dodge and to visit the Otyugh Hole detailed in Complete Scoundrel, and a +5 BAB and 2 cross-class Tumble ranks. That grants all simple and martial weapons, all armor, and all shields including tower shields, plus a sweet Aura of Courage. I'd probably go Druid 8/ Dragon Slayer 1, so you don't delay Wild Shape: Large.

Mephit
2008-12-13, 07:25 AM
With Practiced Spellcaster, you can take 4 levels of something else and lose no CL. :smallsmile:

Tengu_temp
2008-12-13, 07:29 AM
With Practiced Spellcaster, you can take 4 levels of something else and lose no CL. :smallsmile:

You don't lose CL, but you still lose spell slots.

Darrin
2008-12-13, 03:02 PM
Ok, this may be a dumb idea, but I have this idea for a Druid, but I'd really like him to be able to use a Great Sword and a Long Bow. I hate to use to feats on Martial Weapon Profficiency, but I don't want to take a level of something else and lose caster level. Is there any other way?

The Militia feat has already been mentioned. The Otherworldly feat, another one from FR, would also make you an outsider, and thus give you all martial weapon proficiencies.

Other than that... play a Neraph (Planar Handbook race). They are already outsiders, and have no LA.

D Knight
2008-12-13, 04:30 PM
you could just get the greatsword and enchant it with the skilled. then you can use it without penitaly check MIC for the weapon property

Aneantir
2008-12-13, 04:52 PM
Can I assume that your DM has confirmed that you can use a Greatsword without Autumning?

Keld Denar
2008-12-13, 05:38 PM
A +1 Aptitude weapon (Tome of Battle) can be used by a non-proficient wielder. It'll run you about 8300g and change.

Moriato
2008-12-14, 05:44 PM
Can I assume that your DM has confirmed that you can use a Greatsword without Autumning?

There aren't any prohibited weapons for druids anymore in 3.5, only prohibited armor and shields

Runeclaw
2008-12-15, 07:23 PM

What's "Autumning"?

Runeclaw
2008-12-15, 07:24 PM
Thanks everyone, some helpful stuff here.

Turns out we're playing Pathfinder, and Humans get a free martial weapon prof, so that made me half way towards my answer right there. But the Martial Feat does sound interesting and we are playing in Forgotten Realms. I'll have to look into that.

monty
2008-12-15, 07:25 PM
What's "Autumning"?

What is "autumn" also called?

Fax Celestis
2008-12-15, 07:40 PM
What is "autumn" also called?

Druids don't fall; they autumn.

monty
2008-12-15, 07:42 PM

Ahh, good times.

FALL!

WaterTengu
2008-12-15, 09:29 PM
There aren't any prohibited weapons for druids anymore in 3.5, only prohibited armor and shields

wait, they don't ... LOAD!!!!!!
i liked that about them, because it makes them more divine-like.

Drider
2008-12-15, 09:47 PM
wait, they don't ... LOAD!!!!!!
i liked that about them, because it makes them more divine-like.

If it makes you feel any better, they usually just become giant bears/tigers/raptors and kill stuff as animals anyway.

WaterTengu
2008-12-15, 09:50 PM
If it makes you feel any better, they usually just become giant bears/tigers/raptors and kill stuff as animals anyway.

oh i realize, i played druids a lot when i played 3.0. But the fact that they have made the druid even less like a real druid, as in the ancient people, is just...wrong...to me.

monty
2008-12-15, 09:52 PM
oh i realize, i played druids a lot when i played 3.0. But the fact that they have made the druid even less like a real druid, as in the ancient people, is just...wrong...to me.

Wait...it bothers you that druids aren't historically accurate? You're playing the wrong game.

ericgrau
2008-12-15, 09:56 PM
Elf with a large longsword. That's a two handed weapon dealing 2d6 damage, but you take a -2 AB size penalty for wielding a large weapon. The blade would be over 6 feet long, I think. You also get to use longbow. So no feats used, but you do get a signficant penalty to AB. If you're mostly after image, it works. <shrug>

Devils_Advocate
2008-12-15, 10:21 PM
Did real druids actually have a bunch of prohibitions on what sorts of weapon they could use, or using metal items, or anything like that?

WaterTengu
2008-12-15, 10:26 PM
Wait...it bothers you that druids aren't historically accurate? You're playing the wrong game.

no, it bothers me that they were SO much closer in version 2 and 3.0

Did real druids actually have a bunch of prohibitions on what sorts of weapon they could use, or using metal items, or anything like that?

not exactly, but they tended to condemn metal, not specifically weapons. just things that were man-made in general; it was all about the nature.

Waspinator
2008-12-15, 10:35 PM

I hate to break it to you, but real druids also couldn't turn into giant murderous bears and cast divine magic.

WaterTengu
2008-12-15, 11:32 PM
I hate to break it to you, but real druids also couldn't turn into giant murderous bears and cast divine magic.

they could not, but you notice it is all based on the idea of nature and nature worship.

Leon
2008-12-16, 02:48 AM

Least that gives them some warning - they turn orange/yellow