PDA

View Full Version : Conversion: 3e to 3.5

Primal Fury
2008-12-12, 10:31 PM
Hello everyone. I have just stumbled on a neat little class called the Chaos Mage, whom I'd rather refer to as the 'Chaos Sorcerer' (WH40k FTW.) This class allows you to create powerful new spells on the spot at the cost of mental and physical health as it slowly brings the caster closer and closer to oblivion.

The only problem I'm having is that it's still geared for 3e, and I wish to use it in 3.5. Would anyone mind telling me the differences between the two editions? Or directing me to an informative site?

Kizara
2008-12-13, 12:09 AM
Where in 3.0 is it?

Do you want a simple conversion to 3.5 standards, or a rebalancing like I give most classes to make them more competitive?

Do you want it done to the style and standard of early or late 3.5 publishing?

Primal Fury
2008-12-13, 12:35 AM
You'll have to forgive me Kizara, because I have no idea how to answer any of those questions. I don't really know the big differences in the rules anyway. The only reason I noticed was because they used the term "sub-dual damage." :smallredface:

In truth, I just stumbled upon it. I was looking for something else, found the pdf download on some spanish forum, and went "Holy crap this is cool." It's pretty much a splat book. It's from the um... "Encyclopida Arcane" series I think, and the title is "Chaos Magic. Wild Sorcerery"

AmberVael
2008-12-13, 12:39 AM
Chaos Magic is a 3rd party book developed by Mongoose Publishing.

Drive Thru RPG shows it here. (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=1817&it=1&filters=0_0_10106)

Kizara
2008-12-13, 12:50 AM
3.5 uses subdual damage. And 3rd party sources aren't admissible in most campaigns.

Primal Fury
2008-12-13, 12:54 AM
Really? Huh. I thought subdual damage was changed to non-lethal damage. Ah well, guess I'll need to find something else to distract me from... :smalltongue:

AmberVael
2008-12-13, 12:55 AM
As I do have a copy of it myself, and gave a glance over the rules... I see nothing that would really need to be converted- however, I cannot see many DMs allowing this even if they DID get its mechanics. It's a bit... vague and possibly broken, you see.
However, I have made a class which worked on a similar (if more limited) basis if you're interested.

The Channeler. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39048)

It's got some flaws, and if I ever got around to seriously using it, I'd rework it considerably, but it is usable.

NEO|Phyte
2008-12-13, 12:55 AM
3.5 uses subdual damage.

Actually, it uses nonlethal damage, which I think is more or less the same thing. That said, I know nothing about 3.0 subdual damage.

Kizara
2008-12-13, 12:58 AM
Actually, it uses nonlethal damage, which I think is more or less the same thing. That said, I know nothing about 3.0 subdual damage.

Zzzz....

Ok, fine. The mechanics for how you are dealt non-lethal/subdual damage have not actually changed, meaningless terminology shuffling aside.

EDIT: You watch, someone will actually check this and find that in some minor-but-measurable way they did change it, just to make me look like an idiot. And then I will; and then I will cry. :smallfrown:

Primal Fury
2008-12-13, 12:59 AM
Oh. Thanks Vael. :smallsmile: I'll have a look at that.

BobVosh
2008-12-13, 01:29 AM
Zzzz....

Ok, fine. The mechanics for how you are dealt non-lethal/subdual damage have not actually changed, meaningless terminology shuffling aside.

EDIT: You watch, someone will actually check this and find that in some minor-but-measurable way they did change it, just to make me look like an idiot. And then I will; and then I will cry. :smallfrown:

I have a goal in life again.