PDA

View Full Version : Choosing to fail a D20 roll [funny-ish]

vanyell
2008-12-12, 11:25 PM
I know you can chose to fail a save or skill check on purpose, but can you do similar things with attack rolls?

for instance, if you chose to attack the ground with a body slam?

throwing yourself a the ground and missing.

(BTW Don't Panic. it's just a joke)

Edan
2008-12-12, 11:29 PM
I know you can chose to fail a save or skill check on purpose, but can you do similar things with attack rolls?

for instance, if you chose to attack the ground with a body slam?

throwing yourself a the ground and missing.

(BTW Don't Panic. it's just a joke)

It something special to miss the ground tho. You need to be suitably distracted by a nice set of legs or your airline luggage that went missing years ago.

On topic, I have seen a deck of critical fumble cards used for that purpose. I also once played with a group that used a fumble table. It can be funny, but in the long run I personally believe it is more detrimental to the players because it will happen and at the worst opportune times.

toasty
2008-12-12, 11:33 PM
Do you know where your towel is?

I know where BOTH my towels are! :D

that was awesome.

Defiant
2008-12-12, 11:43 PM
You can, in fact, choose to fail an attack roll.

If you attack the ground with a body slam and choose to fail your attack roll, then you start falling upwards.

Rebonack
2008-12-12, 11:45 PM
The problem is that you can't even make the attack roll against the planet. The darn thing is always grappling everyone and you've got a grapple modifier roughly equivalent to escape velocity in order to even attempt to throw yourself at the world and miss.

Sorry.

Though I can see intentionally swinging your weapon at someone and whiffing. I mean, how ward could that be? Just come up a few inches too short. Sure the rules don't say that you can. But playing by the strict rules alone is boring.

And inherently self contradictory (and often nonsensical).

Lycan 01
2008-12-12, 11:49 PM
This concept intrigues me. The hilarity that could ensue... For Call of Cthulhu, at least. If my players found out they could auto-roll 100s for certain things, it would be interesting. They've always wanted to know what would happen in certain situations for 100's... (I think we've only had one. A kick roll ended with an awkward drop kick and a dislocated ankle)

Seriously. I already decided that if they roll a 100 on a Spot Hidden check in the 1920's, they'll see a drink machine in the future because that is just how badly they weren't paying attention.

Mephit
2008-12-13, 07:28 AM
"I attack all of the air around my opponent!" :smallamused:

Asheram
2008-12-13, 08:12 AM
"I attack all of the air around my opponent!" :smallamused:

Reminds me of the time I learnt why not to cast a fireball in an airtight room :smallbiggrin: