PDA

View Full Version : Idiots Guide to Adventuring

t260
2008-12-13, 02:27 AM
It is the greatest comic ever. Yes, my opinion is not to be trusted, as I help make the comic. That in no way could POSSIBLEY make it ANY less true. Or does it? YOU'LL NEVER KNOW!

Heres the site. Hope you'll leave nice comments. Its what we feed on. Mmmmmmmm......comments.........

http://igta.smackjeeves.com/

Greep
2008-12-13, 03:06 AM
It is the greatest comic ever. Yes, my opinion is not to be trusted, as I help make the comic. That in no way could POSSIBLEY make it ANY less true. Or does it? YOU'LL NEVER KNOW!

Heres the site. Hope you'll leave nice comments. Its what we feed on. Mmmmmmmm......comments.........

http://igta.smackjeeves.com/

Heh, I nicely disagree :P Sorry I dunno why, I just didn't like it after reading about 10 comics. The jokes are kind of predictable and their timing isn't so great, it's just a long series of meh. The characters also have less depth than 8-bit theatre :(

Deus_e_Machina
2008-12-13, 06:00 AM
My first complaint is the giant banner. Now, perhaps your site was meant to be viewed at some immense resolution, but from my perspective, every time I load a new comic I get giant banner I have to scroll past to read anything. This is annoying and doesn't serve much of a purpose. It also means every page looks identical on loading, which is irritating itself.

For that matter, the rating, individual comic name, and timestamps could be moved below the comic, and the name and timestamp sizes really should be switched. I care a lot more about which comic it is than what time, to the minute, it was posted on the site.

As for the comic itself, I'm not a huge fan of the art style, but I don't dislike it either - I'm vaguely indifferent, which I guess doesn't help you much. The story I'm not far enough into to really comment. The writing varies - "the glass is tenderly hugging my eyes!" I loved, the rest seems to come and go.

All in all, I'll read more, but it probably isn't making it onto my list of regularly checked comics.

Ghastly Epigram
2008-12-13, 06:09 AM
Wow, looking back I just realized how SPORADIC the updates are. It takes at least 10 days per strip, and no comics between June and November? 19 strips and it has been going longer than a year!

Still, I kinda liked it. It is rather generic, but still enjoyable. Some thoughts and things to possibly work on:

Grammar. Sometimes the speech does not seem to flow as well as it could, and a lot of sentences do not start with capitals.
Speech bubbles/text: They just seem to be rather messily done, and that is a really big turn off, for me at least. It can sound silly, but improving those can really help make a comic seem less "amateur."
Originality: As I said, it does seem rather generic. The characters could do with a bit more fleshing out to make them stand out, and you just need to settle in to a style and sense of humor that is clearly YOURS. Make a conscious effort not to rehash the same easy jokes used billions of times before. Take the road less traveled! :smallsmile:
Art: I can only assume this is done in Paint, as it certainly looks it. This is not necessarily an insult though, as the characters LOOK distinctive enough and everything is lighthearted and pleasant enough to look at. Undoubtedly it could be improved, but as it is it works well enough (Lampshading the fact I used three enoughs just then makes it OK :smallwink:).

So yeah. Like I said, I did like it, and there were some good lines, but I really cannot emphasize the originality thing more. It does not have to be revolutionary, but it should have that something that makes it, if not BETTER than other comics, then at least DIFFERENT, which is hugely important.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-12-17, 12:37 PM
Not too bad, but you need to increase the posting rate.

Do you have a long term story planned out, or are you just sort of "winging it?" I'm sort of waiting on them to actually take off and do something besides snipe at each other... :smallwink: