PDA

View Full Version : The Sublime Knight (Chivalry and the Nine Swords)

Ziegander
2008-12-13, 08:53 AM
The Sublime Knight

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r4/Valaria_photo/Fantasy/Knight3.jpg

HD: d12

Alignment: Any (Lawful?)

{table=head]Lv | Base Attack Bonus | Fort| Ref| Will| Special | M. Known | M. Ready | Stances
1. | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Fearless, Valorous Chivalry +1 | 3 | 3| 0
2.| +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Armor Mastery (+2/-2/+5) | 4 | 3 | 0|
3. | +3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Shield Ally | 5 | 3 |1
4. | +4 | +4 | +1| +4| Earnest Loyalty| 5 | 4 |1
5. |+5 | +4| +1| +4 | Valorous Chivalry +2| 6 | 4 | 1
6.| +6/+1 | +5 | +2 | +5 | --| 6 |4 | 2
7. | +7/+2 | +5 | +2| +5| Rally Ally | 7 |4 |2
8. |+8/+3 | +6 | +2 | +6 | Resist Deception | 7 | 4 | 2
9. | +9/+4 | +6 | +3 | +6 | Valorous Chivalry +3 | 8 | 5 | 2
10. |+10/+5 | +7 |+3 | +7 | Armor Mastery (+4/-4/+10) | 8 | 5 | 2
11. |+11/+6/+1 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Improved Shield Ally | 9 | 5 | 3
12.| +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +4 | +8 | Chivalrous Intolerence |9 |5 |3
13. |+13/+8/+3 | +8| +4 |+8 | Valorous Chivalry +4 | 10 | 5 | 3
14. |+14/+9/+4 | +9 | +4 | +9 | --| 10 | 6 | 3
15.| +15/+10/+5 | +9| +5 |+9 | Improved Rally Ally | 11 | 6 | 3
16.| +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10| +5 | +10 | Loyal Beyond Death | 11 | 6 | 4
17. |+17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 |+5 | +10 | Valorous Chivalry +5 | 12 | 6 | 4
18. |+18/+13/+8/+3| +11 | +6 | +11 | Armor Mastery (Complete) | 12 | 6 | 4
19. |+19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +6| +11 | Chivalrous Example | 13 | 6 | 4
20.| +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +6 | +12 | Chivalrous Strike | 13 | 7 | 4[/table]

Class Skills (4+Int): Balance, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Local, Nobility, History, Religion), Listen, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim

Proficiencies: All simple and martial weapons, all armors and shields (even Tower Shields).

Maneuvers: As the chart provides, Knights draw maneuvers from the Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, and White Raven disciplines. A Knight recovers all of his expended maneuvers using a swift action followed by a standard (non-maneuver) attack action or full attack action against a target granting him Valorous Chivalry bonuses.

*Knight vs Crusader Balance: As a further nod to better balance the Knight with the Crusader (and the Crusader against the Wildheart and Warblade) increase the Crusader's progression of stances as follows:
1. - 1
2. - 2
3. - 2
4. - 2
5. - 2
6. - 3
7. - 3
8. - 3
9. - 3
10. - 4
11. - 4
12. - 4
13. - 4
14. - 4
15. - 5
16. - 5
17. - 5
18. - 5
19. - 5
20. - 5

Fearless (Ex): A Knight knows no fear, and is immune to all fear effects from 1st level onward. Allies within 10ft of you gain a +2 bonus to saves to resist fear effects.

Valorous Chivalry (Ex): You cleave to a code of honorable combat, and thus while you take the most honorable course of action you gain the listed bonus to AC, Attack rolls, Damage rolls, and Saving Throws against your foes in the following conditions:

-- You are the only member of your party threatening the enemy.
-- The enemy is flanking you or a member of your party.
-- The enemy possesses at least 4HD (+1HD / four HD you possess) more than you or any member of your party (Example: to gain this bonus a 10th level Knight must be attacking or attacked by an enemy with at least 6HD more than any member of his party).
-- The enemy effected an ally with a fear effect this round or during the last round.
-- You are taking a penalty to attack rolls to deal nonlethal damage.

You do not gain any extra bonuses from this ability if you meet more than one of the above conditions.

Armor Mastery (Ex): Starting at 2nd level you ignore some of the restrictiveness of the armors you wear. You add the first listed bonus to the max dex bonus of your armor. You reduce the armor check penalty by the listed subtraction. Finally, you add the second listed bonus to your speed while wearing medium or heavy armor, if that armor would reduce your speed by that amount or more.

At 18th level you may add your full dex bonus while wearing armor, you ignore all armor check penalty of your armor, and you ignore all speed restrictions of your armor.

Shield Ally (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a Knight can choose an ally within 10ft, spend an immediate action, and expend a readied maneuver of 2nd level or higher. Any time that ally is dealt damage before the start of your next turn, as long as it remains within 10ft of you, you take half that damage instead.

At 11th level, if you expend a readied maneuver of at least 4th level, you may opt to take all of the damage instead of your ally, and can choose up to two allies within 10ft when you activate this ability.

Earnest Loyalty (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a Knight's loyalty to his companions is such that he becomes immune to all charm and compulsion effects. Allies within 10ft of the Knight gain a +2 bonus to saving throws to resist charms or compulsions.

Further, whenever an enemy effects any ally with a charm or compulsion effect you gain the bonuses from Valorous Chivalry against that enemy until the end of your next turn.

Rally Ally (Ex): Starting at 7th level, a Knight can spend a swift action and expend a maneuver of at least 4th level to grant a single ally within 10ft a new saving throw against any effect currently ailing them.

At 15th level this new save is rolled with a +2 bonus and with a single swift action a Knight grants all allies within 10ft a saving throw, if the Knight expends a maneuver of at least 6th level.

Resist Deception (Ex): Starting at 8th level, a Knight's vigilance is such that he gains a +4 bonus to resist all Illusion and Enchantment effects, and gains an additional saving throw to shake off such effects or to disbelieve illusionary effects at the end of each of his turns.

Additionally, at the beginning of each of his turns the Knight may make a Will saving throw (DC 10+Spell Level+Caster's Modifier) against any active Illusion effecting any enemy within 10ft (such as Invisibility or Blur). If the save succeeds the Knight sees through it as though the enemy were unaffected by the spell until the beginning of the Knight's next turn.

Further, allies within 10ft of the Knight gain a +2 bonus to resist Illusion and Enchantment effects.

Finally, whenever an enemy effects any ally with an Illusion or Enchantment spell or effect you gain the bonuses from Valorous Chivalry against that enemy until the end of your next turn.

Chivalrous Intolerance (Ex): Starting at 12th level you gain a +4 bonus to saving throws to resist Death effects, and to resist negative levels or ability damage/drain. Allies within 10ft of you gain a +2 bonus to saving throws to resist such effects. Whenever you successfully save against such an effect or whenever an enemy successfully effects one of your allies with such an effect, you gain the bonuses from Valorous Chivalry against that enemy until the end of your next turn.

Loyal Beyond Death (Ex): Starting at 16th level, if you are reduced to 0 or fewer hitpoints by an attack that would otherwise leave your body intact, but while you are gaining the bonuses from Valorous Chivalry you can continue to act for 1 round. At the end of that round if you are still receiving bonuses from Valorous Chivalry and are still at or below 0 hitpoints you may act for 1 additional round, but forgo the bonuses, instead taking a -2 penalty to AC, Attack rolls, Damage rolls, and Saving throws for that round. After one round if you are not receiving Valorous Chivalry bonuses, or after you are able to act for 2 additional rounds you die or fall unconscious normally as appropriate for your current hitpoint value.

Chivalrous Example (Ex): Starting at 19th level, for 1 round after receiving the benefit of either your Shield Ally or Rally Ally features the effected allies also receive the full benefits of your Fearless, Earnest Loyalty, Resist Deception, and Chivalrous Intolerance (this does not enable them to gain Valorous Chivalry bonuses).

Chivalrous Strike (Ex): At 20th level, whenever you initiate a Strike maneuver against an enemy granting you Valorous Chivalry bonuses that maneuver is not expended.

Ziegander
2008-12-14, 07:43 PM
Ouch. So thoroughly ignored...

BUMP!

thevorpalbunny
2008-12-14, 10:17 PM
It seems pretty good. Where is the Wildheart you mentioned?

ErrantX
2008-12-14, 11:26 PM
Why no stances at first level and such?

-X

Ziegander
2008-12-15, 02:25 AM
It seems pretty good. Where is the Wildheart you mentioned?

Oh, the Wildheart is over at the WotC forums. I suppose I can post it here next. It's a sublime Barbarian/Ranger/Scout... thingy. Er, wait, no I posted it here... I just have to find it and I'll link you.

Why no stances at first level and such?

-X

Because Fearless is already kinda like Bolstering Voice of White Raven, but also just to balance out the increase in HD, better skills, and more and more useful class features that the Knight has over the similar Crusader.

MeklorIlavator
2008-12-15, 03:03 AM
I think this needs to be toned down a bit. A d12, full armor, Full Bab, 2 good saves(arguably the 2 most important ones), one less Maneuver than Crusaders, but equal on other fronts, 2 Unique Disciplines, good additional abilities, and a good capstone. Plus, I'm not sure that giving the crusader a slightly fast Stance Progression really balances the classes(nor do I really see any need to balance the Crusader against the Warblade).

Ziegander
2008-12-15, 03:14 AM
I think this needs to be toned down a bit. A d12, full armor, Full Bab, 2 good saves(arguably the 2 most important ones), one less Maneuver than Crusaders, but equal on other fronts, 2 Unique Disciplines, good additional abilities, and a good capstone. Plus, I'm not sure that giving the crusader a slightly fast Stance Progression really balances the classes(nor do I really see any need to balance the Crusader against the Warblade).

It may very well need toned down even further. I haven't gotten much in the way of suggestions of what exactly to tone down at my other forums though. :smallfrown:

I wouldn't have a problem lowering the Fort save to poor. The Knight also readies fewer maneuvers than a Crusader (at least initially). I have a progression which can lower it to a max of six. Consider that in a large project of mine that I offer many new disciplines to Crusaders, Swordsages, and Warblades (and looking at Krimm's and the Demented's homebrews I am sorely tempted to offer many more).

The fast stance progression suggested for the Crusader gives the Crusader an edge over the Knight throughout all of the levels except maybe 17-20. When I say this helps to balance the Crusader against the Warblade it's because I also slightly quickened the Warblade's stance progression (so he gets higher level ones when they are available instead of having to take Martial Stance).

Finally, the recovery method. What do you think of it? Should it be even more restrictive? I could require a swift + move action to be spent in reflection no more than 1 round after dealing damage to a foe granting him Valorous Chivalry.

Do you have any other suggestions for toning it down a bit?

Ziegander
2009-01-06, 05:43 AM
BUMP! For Great Justice?