PDA

View Full Version : Help [Planescape] Torment a Lich...

Aotrs Commander
2008-12-13, 12:40 PM
Okay, yet again, I find myself in an odd quandry and it is to the denziens of the Playground I turn as the Highly Useful Repatoire Of Random Knowledge In The Absense Of Somewhere More Readily Apparent To Ask At, or the HUROKITAOSMRATAA for...short.

I got the urge to reinstall Planescape Torment this afternoon (the four CD version), for the first time in...well, yonks. All went swimmingly well, not batting an eyelid running on XP, except it stuck on the intro movie (skipping past it via space allowed me to at least get into the rest of the game.) CD problem, I thought to myself. So, I thought, "I'm sure there are clever people out there who can tell me how to install the whole thing to the hard drive". One google search later, I found I was right! (And a whole raft of patches to correct one or two of the only issues I ever had with the game!)

However, then the problem made itself known, when as directed, I copied the files to the hard drive. The file on CD2, movies2.bif, which contains said intro movie among others, is, not to put too fine a point on it, knackered. Dead, FUBAR, pushing up the posies and being more dead than sideways iron flares with pockets in the knees. I even tried using CDChecker, but the disk has clearly become damaged in that area and is well and truly spifflicated.

So, I did another google search to see if I could find anything about it. I found that more than one person seems to have had this problem in the past (not too mention that even when it ran properly, that disk's movies were notoriously screwy at the best of times).

But I found nothing helpful. I would have gone and asked what I'm about to ask on the GameBanshee boards, where there seems to be a thriving Torment community. Except that due to some de-lightful quirk, that when I went to register, the picture for the "write these letters in to prove you're human a Lich...ah...not an automated thingumy" doesn't display. No matter what I do. (And I'm not going to the lengths of installing another browser for one kacking website...) Typical...

So, finally getting the point (congratulations if you made it this far, by the way), it is to you (and also to the much less prevelented Gamespot Torment boards) then I turn to in my hour of need...

Does anyone might know of a site I could acquire a fresh copy of that particular file (or perhaps, if possessing Torment, large amounts of bandwidth, and an extremely generous nature would be kind enough to email me with it)? Or knows of some other, less obvious but more elegant solution?

At this late stage in time, my only other alternative, given the game is nearly 10 years old, might be to download a torrent of it (and then ditch everything apart from that one file), but I'd rather not have to go through that rigmarole for one freakin' file (and I'm really not fond of using torrents at the best of times).

Can anyone help?