PDA

View Full Version : Duel of rule of cool-Soul Eater vs Mahou Sensei Negima!

Oslecamo
2008-12-13, 09:14 PM
Ok, one trend I notice in VS threads is that one side will demand victory because their side relies more on the rule of cool, wich aparently can't be beaten.

So, what happens when both sides completely relie in the rule of cool?

Thus, I started searching for the two most absurd managa series wich rely on the rule of cool.

I also wantedto keep out planet destroying level series like that other robot serie or Dragonball, since nobody wins if the universe is obliterated in the battle.

Found myself with those two mangas:
Soul Eater
-School teaches kids how to project their soul wave into powerfull bursts of energy and how to transform into weapons in order to kill magic users.

Mahou Sensei Negima
-Ten year boy is magic and martial art prodigy. Starts traininig an all girl class in the use of magic, ending up with a mighty fighting force used to save the world.

Both series strongly rely on the rule of cool. It doesn't matter how absurd is your fighting style, it's gonna work if you have the right spirit. Deadly wounds are nothing to you as long as you can scream really high and wave your exotic weapon of choice(or your fists) around.

Seting
Luckily this isn't very hard. Witch hunters on one side. Witches on the other. Conflict is inevitable.

Let's just say that while daily raping reality, Neji and his class get sucked into a random portal and get teleported to the universe of Soul Eater. As soon as detected, the shinigami school delivers orders to capture the witches at all costs. Or, failing that, eliminate them.

Personally, I think it comes down to the side who manages to bring forwards any kind of basic tactics. Like, ganking the oponents, instead of dividing your forces into several evenly matched 1 to 1 battles. But I have no idea if either side has the brains to do it.

So, what do you say that happens?

(No, the universe doesn't explode, since none side has planet destroying power level)

Innis Cabal
2008-12-13, 09:22 PM
Soul Eater. They have Black Star (sorry cant get a Star in form here). Thats all the need.

Ridureyu
2008-12-13, 09:56 PM
Which one was Al Capone in, again?

Innis Cabal
2008-12-13, 10:01 PM
Soul Eater. Black Star. Again.

Oslecamo
2008-12-14, 06:25 AM
Soul Eater. They have Black Star (sorry cant get a Star in form here). Thats all the need.

Care to specify a little more why would he win?

I admit that Black Star is inhumanly tough, since he gets directly hit by blades and other hard stuff and only bleeds a little, and his attacks pack quite a punch.

However he's also probably the dumbest member of the Soul eater crew.

In the manga, he's been fighting on a standstill against a normal human whitout powers or soul wave or anything besides a collection of swords, even despite having unlocked his ultimate black sword power.

Personally, I don't see him being stronger than the Negima heavy hiters, like the ninja girl, Setsuna or the wolf boy, all more than specialized in close combat. Damn I'm bad with names.

And even if he manages to overcome them, there's still Evangeline and her robot army, able to freeze down greater demons whitout much effort. Well, assuming her curse gets lifted off while on the Soul Eater verse, even tough this is a little cheesy.

Revlid
2008-12-14, 06:35 AM
I hated the first half of Naruto whenever the main character started mindlessly bragging - very annoying. Why would I care for a character who is essentially an Expy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Expy)of those moments? Black Star is hardly all Soul Eater needs. He'd be fairly whipped by Kaede (ninja) or Setsuna (swordswoman), and Kotaro (half-dog demon) would be at least even with him. I can't see Kid doing much better (even in the OCD induced rage that would undoubtedly ensue from Setsuna's haircut), especially when compared to Mana (ridiculously good gunwoman) or Ku-Fei (martial artist who defeats Mana by using a scarf as a spear. Without magic).

I honestly can't see Maka and Soul Eater, whose best attack is essentially an energy-based Razor Wind (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RazorWind), having much of a chance against Negi and Asuna, or even Negi alone, even before his Dark Magic upgrade.

Soul Eater is just on the lower end of the power scale than Mahou Sensei Negima. The Big Bad/Prominent Dragon of Soul Eater (Medusa) seems to be on about the same level as Negi at the end of the Chao arc, and is viewed as one of the more powerful beings in that world. The Big Bad/Prominent Dragon of Mahou Sensei Negima is demonstrably stronger than this, and is also demonstrably weaker than several other members of the cast (Evangeline, for one, who deals with an ancient, world-destroying demon by casually dropping a couple of icebergs on it).

thubby
2008-12-14, 06:39 AM
Care to specify a little more why would he win?

I admit that Black Star is inhumanly tough, since he gets directly hit by blades and other hard stuff and only bleeds a little, and his attacks pack quite a punch.

However he's also probably the dumbest member of the Soul eater crew.

In the manga, he's been fighting on a standstill against a normal human whitout powers or soul wave or anything besides a collection of swords, even despite having unlocked his ultimate black sword power.

Personally, I don't see him being stronger than the Negima heavy hiters, like the ninja girl, Setsuna or the wolf boy, all more than specialized in close combat. Damn I'm bad with names.

And even if he manages to overcome them, there's still Evangeline and her robot army, able to freeze down greater demons whitout much effort. Well, assuming her curse gets lifted off while on the Soul Eater verse, even tough this is a little cheesy.

the samurai guy? he has plenty of powers. maybe not "oh ah" flashy ones, but if you think what he does is anywhere close to physically possible, you need a doctor. isn't the guy's soul worth like 99 normal ones?!?

i think chrona would be more of a problem, can't say i'm familiar with the opposing series, but she(?) is near indestructible when it comes to physical dmg.

Wraithy
2008-12-14, 12:23 PM
I'm going to (reluctantly) agree with the Negi side winning, on power alone its in a different league.
However if you only measured coolness, Soul Eater wins hands down, Negima never struck me as particularly cool, even in the vastly superior manga.
You just can't beat a setting where the only route to power involves a mirror-cracking grin.

Hex-Master
2009-07-24, 05:41 PM

Normal Human? Dude, have you been watching the stuff Mifune can pull off? Anyone who hasn't played Silver Age Sentinels might not get this, but Mifune has clearly put all of his points into Dynamic Power: Swords!

The Negima crew if pretty tough, especially with Negi having recently learned Super Saiyan 2, but I'd say the Soul Eater crew could definitely match them in power. They're specialty is fighting Witches, which already takes out one of Negi's heavy hitters, Eva. In fact, it still cracks me up that Eva has a chant like the Soul Eater witches. They'd have little problem with her, although the rest of the crew could prove difficult.

Personally, I'm gonna bet on Soul Eater, even though I think the Negi cast have probably got an edge in power. Soul's guys have a tendency to pull off completely unlikely victories at the last second. Also, I wouldn't doubt Medusa's combat ability. She's never going to face someone unless she's got the advantage, and even when she loses, it only furthers her overall plan. Honestly, she's like a sexy, japanese batman!

Also, can we assume Chachamaru will bring a clothes-stripping beam? Because me and the other Soul Eater fans have been trying to figure out Crona's gender forever!

Prime32
2009-07-24, 06:47 PM
Soul Eater. They have Black Star (sorry cant get a Star in form here). Thats all the need.Without knowing anything about Black Star or who he is, I have three words:

JACK. Frigging. RAKAN. (http://obd.wikispaces.com/Character+Profile+-Jack+Rakan)
http://media2.onemanga.com/mangas/00000020/00000200/06.jpg

Imagine if Kenpachi Zaraki, Master Roshi, Archer and Burk (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PathToGreaterGood) became fused into one being. That's pretty close to Jack Rakan.

Zeful
2009-07-24, 07:04 PM
The Negima crew if pretty tough, especially with Negi having recently learned Super Saiyan 2, but I'd say the Soul Eater crew could definitely match them in power. They're specialty is fighting Witches, which already takes out one of Negi's heavy hitters, Eva. In fact, it still cracks me up that Eva has a chant like the Soul Eater witches. They'd have little problem with her, although the rest of the crew could prove difficult.Ahahahahahahaha! Eva is immortal, she had a stone spike the size of her abdomen rammed through her body, and showed no sign of that damage seconds later. I doubt even Death The Kid using his soul resonance ability would actually kill her. She's a lot like that werewolf dude with the stolen eye (name starts with an F, is awesome).
And the Magica Erebera isn't anything like the Super Sayan mode, it's far more versatile, as it allows him to absorb any magical power he can produce. Before he learned the anti-infantry thousand bolts spell, he was capable of moving freakishly fast, enough to knock down three experienced bounty hunters in the same moment. Afterwards, if he has 40ish seconds of time to prepare (and with people like Kaede and Mana on his side, that's not hard), he can reach the speed of light.

Personally, I'm gonna bet on Soul Eater, even though I think the Negi cast have probably got an edge in power. Soul's guys have a tendency to pull off completely unlikely victories at the last second. Also, I wouldn't doubt Medusa's combat ability. She's never going to face someone unless she's got the advantage, and even when she loses, it only furthers her overall plan. Honestly, she's like a sexy, japanese batman!Unless she fights Jack Rakan, or Evangeline, in which case she will either be too humiliated to use her backup plan, or be frozen in several ton block of ice.

Also, can we assume Chachamaru will bring a clothes-stripping beam? Because me and the other Soul Eater fans have been trying to figure out Crona's gender forever!I don't think she has one in canon, but I'm pretty sure that several of her attacks that won't overcome the power of Crona's black blood, would leave her naked.

Without knowing anything about Black Star or who he is, I have three words:

Black Star is like a younger, less powerful version of Jack Rakan.

Hex-Master
2009-08-25, 04:07 PM
Without knowing anything about Black Star or who he is, I have three words:

JACK. Frigging. RAKAN. (http://obd.wikispaces.com/Character+Profile+-Jack+Rakan)

Rakan is pretty f'ing tough. I'm starting to think he didn't actually learn any of the magic he uses, he just decide it was possible for him to do it and- presto! Just like with that one Shinmeryuu Sword Technique.

However, we've got at least one heavy hitter that could match old Jack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa4-7A9rE14

That's right, seeing as Jack Rakan is a member of the Ala Rubra and the old Guard, I posit the following: Jack vs. Death

Also, as a side-note: Kishin Asura, you know, the guy who just took a direct noggin' chop to the face? The crazy god of invincible insanity? Yeah, we nominate him to fight Fate Averruncus.

Zeful
2009-08-25, 04:25 PM
Rakan is pretty f'ing tough. I'm starting to think he didn't actually learn any of the magic he uses, he just decide it was possible for him to do it and- presto! Just like with that one Shinmeryuu Sword Technique.He has forty years of experience fighting, he knows the limits of magic better than almost anyone in the series.

However, we've got at least one heavy hitter that could match old Jack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa4-7A9rE14

That's right, seeing as Jack Rakan is a member of the Ala Rubra and the old Guard, I posit the following: Jack vs. Death Death would be a good match for Jack, but there is very little shown in Soul Eater about his fighting capacities so it's kind of unfair. We only know one half the equation.

Would be an Awesome fight though.

tyckspoon
2009-08-25, 05:05 PM
Death would be a good match for Jack, but there is very little shown in Soul Eater about his fighting capacities so it's kind of unfair. We only know one half the equation.

I'm thinking Death would probably win. No particular reasoning, especially because we do indeed not know much about how strong he really could be. The Kishin implied Death had become weaker since settled down to anchor Death City, but then in that fight Death didn't actually use any of his Scythes either, and the bond between Weapon and Meister is one of the keys of strength in Soul Eater. Death Resonancing with any of his Scythes should be a thing of awesome.

In the general case, tho, I'm pretty sure Negima has it in the bag. Soul Eater's main characters are simply much earlier in their progressions than their Negima counterparts. Give them several more arcs and they can fight (Kid's stripes connect, Maka and Soul get over the Black Blood thing, BLACK*STAR gets closer to his apotheosis into Jack Rakan..), but at current point Soul Eater's team has to be made up of matured characters to compete- Stein, the Death Scythes, Free and the Witches..Sid (because that's the kind of man he was.) Or somebody can go partner with Excalibur :smalltongue:

Zeful
2009-08-26, 12:32 AM
In the general case, tho, I'm pretty sure Negima has it in the bag. Soul Eater's main characters are simply much earlier in their progressions than their Negima counterparts. Give them several more arcs and they can fight (Kid's stripes connect, Maka and Soul get over the Black Blood thing, BLACK*STAR gets closer to his apotheosis into Jack Rakan..), but at current point Soul Eater's team has to be made up of matured characters to compete- Stein, the Death Scythes, Free and the Witches..Sid (because that's the kind of man he was.) Or somebody can go partner with Excalibur :smalltongue:

There would be some good fights in there. Death the Kid vs. Asuna would be amusing considering her eyes (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BoatLights). Blair vs. Negi would be hilarious. And there's even a sense of morbid curiosity in a fight between Jack and Black Star.