PDA

View Full Version : Opera and Italic Text

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-13, 10:06 PM
I'm having some trouble with Opera web browser displaying italic text. On certain sites, the italics just don't show up. For example, on this site, writing "I just love italics!" results in the word "love" being rendered with italics. But there are other forums and websites where they just don't show up at all. It's only a problem when I view the page in Opera, so I know it's not just a coding error. It's happened on pages that use the <i> tag as well as pages that use the <em> tag. Heck, one site even specifies that <em> should be italic within the stylesheet just to drive home the point.

One site that has the problem is http://bchri.net/portfolio.php. The lines that say "School Project" and the titles of the Software used on various projects should be rendered in italics. But it's not showing up.

I'm running Opera 9.62 on Mac OS 10.4.11.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Lupy
2008-12-13, 11:15 PM
No clue. But since Opera Ten (http://www.opera.com/browser/next/) scored a 100 on the Acid 3, it will never fail to render anything. In theory at least.

adanedhel9
2008-12-14, 09:51 AM
Looks fine to me. I'm running Opera 9.60 on Windows XP - might be a Mac-specific bug?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-15, 10:24 AM
Looks fine to me. I'm running Opera 9.60 on Windows XP - might be a Mac-specific bug?
Wouldn't surprise me. Just hoping someone around here might have some background info if not a fix for the end user.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-15, 11:32 AM
Found the problem: Unlike my other browsers, Opera doesn't appear to do faux-italic. It needs an italic version of the font to use rather than modifying the normal version. Neither of the pages being used specify an exact font, so my browser is using my default sans-serif font, which does not have a regular italic file stored on my system. If I change it up to, say, Arial, my problem will be solved.

Lupy
2008-12-15, 10:32 PM
Found the problem: Unlike my other browsers, Opera doesn't appear to do faux-italic. It needs an italic version of the font to use rather than modifying the normal version. Neither of the pages being used specify an exact font, so my browser is using my default sans-serif font, which does not have a regular italic file stored on my system. If I change it up to, say, Arial, my problem will be solved.

*stores in brainbin*

Glad you got that solved. :smallsmile: