PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Scooby-doo villain?

Ebonsword
2008-12-14, 09:50 AM
I picked up the first two seasons of Scooby-Doo on DVD recently, and I've really been enjoying watching them.

I think what I always liked about Scooby-Doo, particularly during the early years, is that--despite all of the comedy--the background art, monsters, and sound effects are actually pretty damn creepy (especially if you're, like, six).

So, which Scooby-Doo villain scared you the most as a child (or as an adult, if applicable)?

For me, it was the alien from the "Spooky Space Kook" episode. I mean, come on, the dude's got a freakin' skull for a head! And it lights up an evil red when he laughs! Oh, and what a laugh! I think I had to watch that episode through my fingers when I was little...

Renegade Paladin
2008-12-14, 10:14 AM
Scrappy Doo, of course. :smalltongue:

bosssmiley
2008-12-14, 10:14 AM
Scariest villain in Scooby Doo?

Freddy. If you've seen "The Venture Bros" you'll understand exactly how that abusive Monson-esque sociopath manipulates the other members of the gang into doing his bidding. :smallwink:

Oregano
2008-12-14, 10:17 AM

Freddy. If you've seen "The Venture Bros" you'll understand exactly how that abusive Monson-esque sociopath manipulates the other members of the gang into doing his bidding. :smallwink:

I've always thought Fred was a bit of a dawg and a player, notice how he goes off with at least one of the females and dissappears for a while, often he dissappears with both of them.

I don't really remember the villains that well, but some of bad guys had like really scary faces(when they were unmasked I mean).

Z-dan
2008-12-14, 12:53 PM
I only remember the bank manager... I think he was some sort of electric abominable snowman type thing, but then almost every bad guy was the bank manager :smalltongue:
but scariest CHARACTER? definitely Scrappy...
Freddy was annoying, always disappearing with Daphne whilst Velma gets left with Shaggy and Scoob...

Rogue 7
2008-12-14, 01:38 PM
Scariest Scooby-Doo villain is like asking for the "manliest Teletubby".

Tirian
2008-12-14, 02:28 PM
Oh, come on. Dipsy totally rocks that hat. There really isn't a contest.

As for SD, I recall being inordinately afraid of the robot creature that was at :49 in the intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hutiv8J0rTA). No idea why. I'm not even sure that I saw the episode that featured it.

I've always thought Fred was a bit of a dawg and a player, notice how he goes off with at least one of the females and dissappears for a while, often he dissappears with both of them.

I heard an interview with one of the lead animators a few years ago, and evidently they had no idea that we were all assuming that Fred and Daphne were rounding second base back in the van for ten minutes of every episode. His claim is that it they were too lazy to draw the entire team.

LordOfXoriat
2008-12-14, 08:25 PM
-edit_deleted-

Assassin89
2008-12-14, 08:27 PM
Once you get down to it, the Scooby-doo villains cease to be scary once you figure out that everyone is some guy in a costume.

Tirian
2008-12-14, 08:39 PM
Once you get down to it, the Scooby-doo villains cease to be scary once you figure out that everyone is some guy in a costume.

But that's what made it so great. The greatest cartoon series of the seventies, week in and week out, was about real estate fraud, because the bad guy was haunting the property to make the owner sell out at a sacrificial price.

freerangetroll
2008-12-14, 08:40 PM
Sorry for this not being Scooby Doo, but the scariest cartoon monster for me was the Boogeyman from the original ghostbusters cartoon.

*shiver*

TheDeeMan
2008-12-14, 09:38 PM
Sorry, folks. The scariest Scooby villain would be "The Miner 49er". LOL! :)

Dee

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-12-14, 09:42 PM
I agree. Miner 49er wins.

KKL
2008-12-14, 09:43 PM
I dunno if this counts, but the Scooby-Doo movie with the pepper plantation and the catwomen with the voodoo crap was terrifying, especially as a kid.

Mewtarthio
2008-12-14, 10:09 PM

I don't know about that. I recall an episode I once saw as a kid in which the villain was dressed up in a rather un-scary clown outfit. He had mind control powers. The explanation was some poorly-researched hypnosis trick that was probably outdated back in the 90's, but mind control always scared me as a kid. At least he didn't use it to, say, make the heroes murder each other; he just made unqualified people perform potentially lethal circus tricks.

turkishproverb
2008-12-14, 10:15 PM

This.

Also, Live action.

kopout
2008-12-14, 10:36 PM
I agree. Miner 49er wins.

Never scared of Miner 49er. Don't know why. when I was 4 I saw the episode with the Werewolf Ghost while I was chanal surfing, scared me away from Cartoon network for years, also got me hooked on the show.

Destro_Yersul
2008-12-14, 10:41 PM
Yeah, the Miner was never that bad. What scared me was the Space Ghost. And considering the tar monster was the first one I ever saw, he was pretty creepy too.

kopout
2008-12-14, 10:50 PM
Yeah, the Miner was never that bad. What scared me was the Space Ghost. And considering the tar monster was the first one I ever saw, he was pretty creepy too.

I never saw the tar monster, or the pirate with the iron mask.:smallfrown:

Destro_Yersul
2008-12-14, 11:09 PM
Oh, the iron mask pirate was great. Not really scary, but I did like the episode.

Avilan the Grey
2008-12-15, 05:03 AM

That's why I hated the show after a while. As a kid I was too disappointed at the monsters never being real that I just couldn't stand watching it. I mean what's the point with all these great monsters if they were just a middle-aged looser behind a mask?
This is the main reason I actually enjoyed the first live-action movie.

Revlid
2008-12-15, 08:08 AM
The Zombies from the movie Zombie Island. I only saw them for a minute or so, on a friend's crappy recording, but it still scared the hell out of my young self. The brown, leathery skin... ugh. Always scarier than green zombies.

kopout
2008-12-15, 12:19 PM
The Zombies from the movie Zombie Island. I only saw them for a minute or so, on a friend's crappy recording, but it still scared the hell out of my young self. The brown, leathery skin... ugh. Always scarier than green zombies.

That . Totally that.

nothingclever
2008-12-15, 12:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2namHzxp6Sk

Closet_Skeleton
2008-12-15, 12:49 PM
That's why I hated the show after a while. As a kid I was too disappointed at the monsters never being real that I just couldn't stand watching it. I mean what's the point with all these great monsters if they were just a middle-aged looser behind a mask?
This is the main reason I actually enjoyed the first live-action movie.

But the sequel series are full of real ghosts and terrible.

Orzel
2008-12-15, 01:13 PM
"You will pay attention for a time
And your thoughts will all be mine.
Watch the pretty coin of gold
and you will do as you are told!"

Dun Dun DUNDUN!

Ghost Clown was creepy

snoopy13a
2008-12-15, 01:19 PM
I can't remember being scared during Scooby-doo as I knew that the "ghost" was just some guy in costume and that he'd get caught in the end.

I used to like the Harlem Globetrotters episodes though (and the ones with Scooby-Dumb).

kopout
2008-12-15, 01:55 PM
"You will pay attention for a time
And your thoughts will all be mine.
Watch the pretty coin of gold
and you will do as you are told!"

Some times I recite that softly while rubbing my fingers together or playing with a coin.:smallbiggrin:

T-O-E
2008-12-15, 02:43 PM
Scooby Doo was supposed to be scary?

Closet_Skeleton
2008-12-15, 02:44 PM
Scooby Doo was supposed to be scary?

It doesn't have to be intended to be scary.

Castaras
2008-12-15, 02:51 PM
The Creatures from Zombie Island. Best Scooby Doo of them all.

The cat-people were scarier than the Zombies for me though, because of shock at it being them.