PDA

View Full Version : [SWSE] KotOR Campaign - After the Darkness, Comes the Light

Kiero
2008-12-14, 10:49 AM
For a long time now, I've had it in my head that I'd love to run a Star Wars game set just after the end of the second KotOR game, drawing heavily on both that and the kinds of things we see in the new KotOR comics. I simply love the era and the openness of having everything happen after the "canon" for the time period ends. You get all the richness of being able to draw on what's been done by other people, yet at the same time it's wide open to do what you want with it.

I'll probably never run this, but that's no reason not to share my ideas with other people. While I'm unlikely to use Saga Edition were I to do so, it's still a nice fit for a large part of my ideas, and a neat system. Again, means it's more useful to other people than just a bunch of ideas.

Inspirations

I love the Old Republic. For me when the first KotOR game came out, it was the first time in a long time that something really felt like Star Wars again, without just rehashing all the tired old crap with the characters from the original trilogy. No Skywalkers, no secret Imperial Remnant superweapons, no Rebellion, no baggage. We had Star Wars distilled back down to it's essence and given a new lease of life and creativity.

I love the sweeping scale of it, I love that the Republic is vast and unwieldy, chaotic and yet still vibrant, there's still a sense of wonder. Dodgy **** happens, but it's not sclerotic and corrupt like that in the Rise of Empire era. Furthermore, the Jedi are more interesting. They similarly haven't yet ossified into a monastic order of puritan killjoys so scared of the dark side they'd bleed the life and spontaneity out of everything they touch. The Unifying Force hasn't triumphed at the expense of the Living Force.

I love the backdrop of all these galaxy-spanning wars that bring change. The Great Sith War (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Sith_War), the Mandalorian War (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian_Wars), the Jedi Civil War (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Civil_War), The Dark Wars (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Wars). It's a galaxy in turmoil and change, one ripe for heroes to save the day. Because ultimately that's what Star Wars is really about for me - heroes who rise up to oppose the dark. That's why I really hate Imperial campaigns, or mercenaries who are only in it for profit. It's also why I don't have much time for tramp freighters smuggling and trading from system to system, just trying to stay alive.

What I loved about the second game was the dark atmosphere of it all. The Republic and the galaxy were really in danger. If the Exile didn't do something, the light of all that was good would be forever expunged.

My campaign assumes the light-side endings to both games, as per canon on Wookiepedia. Both Revan and the Exile have disappeared, though their disciples are hard at work helping with the serious task of rebuilding. The whole point is that the darkest of times have now passed, but that doesn't mean life is easy. A lot was destroyed or harmed by the wars, winning the peace will take just as much effort as winning the war did.

The shattered remnants of the losing sides are still active and can be a local threat in places far from the heart of the Republic that are ignored or just too far away to be responded to quickly. It's in one such place on the Outer Rim that the game will take place.

When

3,950BBY, the end of the Dark Wars. The Sith have collapsed and the monumental task of rebuilding the Republic after 15 years of near-constant warfare and strife must begin.

It's a deliberate choice that puts us immediately after the events of the second KotOR game. Those events are complete, but not resolved.

Where

The Nilgaard Sector (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nilgaard_sector), on the Outer Rim. It borders the Meridian Sector and is along the Perlemian Trade Route (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Perlemian_Trade_Route).

As somewhere on one of the major spacelanes, it has strategic importance. However it's a long way out, and isn't among the first priorities of the Republic to restore it's authority to. It's on their wish list of places they'd like to bring back into the fold, but it's simply beyond their present resources to do so.

Who

The Republic

A decade and a half of war nearly broke the Republic. Not just politically, with many worlds deciding they could do better on their own, but also financially. Trade broke down, infrastructure critical to the functioning of entire systems was destroyed, populations slain or displaced. The efforts of the Exile to create some alternatives for the worst-hit places prevented outright collapse. But there is still a lot to do for the best minds the Republic has.

This has created something of a vaccuum, into which the criminal elements and other enterprising individuals have rushed. Some worlds have yet to formally return to the fold, choosing to remain independent, and treaties have to be re-negotiated. New Senators, with differing ideas of where the Republic should now go struggle with the old guard of survivors who just want things back to the way they were.

The Republic has little formal presence in the Nilgaard Sector, and it does not have a Senate representative. Republic agents are active in the region though.

The Jedi Order

None of the Masters of the previous era survived the series of wars that shook the Republic. Not even Master Vandare Tokare, who survived the Jedi Civil War, made it through the Dark Wars. A new generation of Masters, who were Knights or even Padawans during the wars have grown up and stepped into the role of leading the rebuilt Order.

The Council consists of the disciples of two Jedi who were pivotal in the galaxy's salvation: Revan and the Exile. Bastila Shan and Jolee Bindo are some of the few survivors from the old era, and they are joined by Mical, Brianna, Mira, Atton Rand, Bao-dur and Visas Marr. They spend little time on Coruscant, their attentions taken up with two missions; aiding the Republic wherever they are needed, and training a new generation of Jedi.

They've had to be pragmatic in how they approach these goals, Bindo is a strong voice for moderation over dogma. They accept anyone who can be trained, no matter what their history, and they have even made peace with some former enemies. One such former enemy is the Watchman of the Nilgaard Sector.

The Jedi Watchman

Overseeing the Nilgaard Sector as the Jedi Watchman for the region is Master Tyro Sken. He is a former Revanchist (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Revanchist_(faction)) who was dispatched here with a small force during the Mandalorian Wars. Then as now it was an important sector, yet one which little could be spared to defend. So he was left to do what he could, working with the local peoples to organise a defense force and discourage Mandalorian advance troops. It cost the peoples of the sector greatly, but they held. The Mandalorians never managed to get a foothold in the sector, and eventually decided other places were a better use of their resources.

When Revan and Malak turned on the Republic, Sken ignored their call, preferring to stay in the region and help them deal with the fallout of the war. He was called upon to lead once more when one of Malak's fleets tried to take the region, and this time the allied forces trounced the interlopers. They were even aided by a band of Mandalorian warriors who had come to call the region home.

With the Dark Wars, Sken was badly wounded by an assassin, and left for dead. But thanks to his allies, he survived. The experience made him realise how important the Jedi were to the region, and if he died that would be the end of them here. So he founded a school in the wilderness of Reaper's World (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Reaper%27s_World) (NB: this is pre-ecological desolation) and began recruiting.

He would train anyone with the gift of the Force, but had one condition: he wouldn't take children. Infants found strong in the Force he would note and ask that their parents sent them to him when they were much older, but he preferred to train older students, teenagers and young adults. If he had learned anything in his time as a warleader, it was that people from a range of backgrounds made for a stronger team.

He doesn't have many Padawans, but already he trusts them with taking the lead in dealing with the myriad disputes and problems that arise in trying to maintain peace and security in the sector. They are aided by the Volunteers, a cadre of non-Force-using individuals who assist the Jedi.

Who are the PCs?

Senior Jedi students and Volunteers working for Master Sken. They're all 4th level, and those who are students at the school cannot take their 1st level in Jedi. Each character's 1st level class represents their life before they came to the school and began training. There's no requirement for students to take on all the tenets of the Jedi way (ie they don't have to take Jedi levels at all), Master Sken believes in strength through diversity. Some of his older students (including the PCs) aid in the training exercises and tend to take the lead.

What are the hazards?

There are all sorts of problems. Overzealous Republic agents trying to scheme the sector into the Republic, and opposing independence activists. Roving bands of Mandalorians and pirates taking advantage of the absence of the Republic's fleets. While the sector has a security force comprised largely of war veterans, they're underfunded and sometimes hamstrung by rivalries between the various worlds and cultures. Occasionally Sith survivors and artifacts turn up and cause mayhem, which require a response from Master Sken's students. The Exchange (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Exchange)has a powerful chapter run from a moon orbiting Dalos IV (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dalos_IV).

People are generally mistrustful of the Jedi, though they haven't had a lot of contact with them. They often know who Master Sken is and are glad he's around, but that doesn't stop them being suspicious they'll all go mad and start killing each other. After all there's little difference to them between a Jedi and a Sith. They also tend to struggle to see past their own city, or their own world. It's the frontier out here, and people look to their own interests. Furthermore, many of the leaders amongst the communities of the sector are secretly envious or even fearful of Master Sken. He's personally popular where some of them are not, some see his school as training the next generation of rulers in a Jedi-led empire.

Kiero
2008-12-14, 10:50 AM
So if people want to play along, who might some of those principal students/Volunteers (ie PCs) be? Let's say 4th level characters, 28-points for stats.

There's a whole host of native species besides humans in the region, and feel free to make up some more planets besides the handful that are on Wookiepedia. The main theme for any Jedi character is that you had a life before you were a Jedi.

Also, comments are more than welcome. Are there things I've missed out in outlining this? Could there be more threats to factor into the mix to make things more interesting for the PCs?

Juhn
2008-12-14, 03:16 PM
You, sir, are making me want to buy the SWSE books.

Aren't Revan and the Exile assumed to have left for the Outer Reaches or whatever they call it, though? Battling some threat that Revan foresaw?

Kiero
2008-12-14, 05:21 PM
You, sir, are making me want to buy the SWSE books.

It's well worth a go, better than any previous D20 incarnation, and some say even better than D6. The KotOR-era sourcebook is pretty good as well.

Aren't Revan and the Exile assumed to have left for the Outer Reaches or whatever they call it, though? Battling some threat that Revan foresaw?

They are, both have gone off to do some Big Important Thing away from everyone else.

cloneof
2008-12-14, 05:38 PM
The text that you just wrote there made my day.

It is beatiful.

Just makes me feel that my purchase of the Saga edition core rules was worth it, even thought I have not been able to test it out as my party consist of D&D hardliners and the Saga edition brings some 4th edition elements (such as half of level points to certain things).

If you ever consider running this campaign in the forums, I would love it :smallredface:.

Other then that, this gave some great ideas.

Kiero
2008-12-14, 06:08 PM
The text that you just wrote there made my day.

It is beatiful.

Just makes me feel that my purchase of the Saga edition core rules was worth it, even thought I have not been able to test it out as my party consist of D&D hardliners and the Saga edition brings some 4th edition elements (such as half of level points to certain things).

If you ever consider running this campaign in the forums, I would love it :smallredface:.

Other then that, this gave some great ideas.

Glad you liked it, it's been in my head needing to be let out in some form for a while.

While reading the fourth KotOR trade, I was thinking a shorter game set on Taris during the Mandalorian invasion could be cool in it's own right.

But good luck with persuading your group to try Saga Edition. Something I'd recommend is starting the characters at 3rd level (at least), that really gives each one a chance to be something different, and be competent right off the bat.

Doomsy
2008-12-14, 06:11 PM
If you've mentioned somewhat friendly Mandalorians, people are going to want to play them pretty badly. They're awesome. Are you going with them being multi-racial and including 'conquered' species, or pure human strain?

For races it really depends on the mix you want. Hutt crimelords are generally easy to fit in anywhere and were used pretty well in KoToR2 as quest hooks more than merely Jabba repeats. Given how well the system you're using seems to have survived the chaos you're probably looking at a good influx of refugees too. It also depends on the planets you want in that sector.

Also the amount of retraining and rebuilding going in the Jedi Order would seem to suggest that you'd have more Jedi going somewhat dark side or just plain washing out - partly due to a massive recruitment drive and partly due to the fact that they would have lost a lot of experienced instructors, along with inheriting a fear of traitors and a kneejerk reaction to casting out the tainted. I'd expect to see more Force Adepts and others about - possibly including people who were forced to defend themselves during the Siths little recruitment drive. Roving bands of half-trained or washed out padawans trying to prove themselves in the style of the Exile or Revan might actually be good plot hooks.

cloneof
2008-12-14, 06:23 PM
If you've mentioned somewhat friendly Mandalorians, people are going to want to play them pretty badly. They're awesome. Are you going with them being multi-racial and including 'conquered' species, or pure human strain?

Mandolorians were never "pure human", they were "pure Mandolorian species" once, but before the Mandolorian Wars the Mandolore called other species to bolster his ranks.

Pretty much after that it turned into an ideology.

Kiero
2008-12-14, 07:05 PM

As cloneof says, even by this era, the Mandalorian "race" (the Taungs) are long-dead. To be Mandalorian is a question of culture, rather than species.

People could play them, if they were Volunteers or Jedi students at the school. One of the main themes is that everyone has a life before they step up to serve, Mandalorians are no different.

For races it really depends on the mix you want. Hutt crimelords are generally easy to fit in anywhere and were used pretty well in KoToR2 as quest hooks more than merely Jabba repeats. Given how well the system you're using seems to have survived the chaos you're probably looking at a good influx of refugees too. It also depends on the planets you want in that sector.

Indeed, and by way of native species, aside from the usual humans there's a host of others including Barabels, Rodians, Ithorians and Gammoreans in the planets detailed already. Could easily add some others, as well as feature refugees.

Also the amount of retraining and rebuilding going in the Jedi Order would seem to suggest that you'd have more Jedi going somewhat dark side or just plain washing out - partly due to a massive recruitment drive and partly due to the fact that they would have lost a lot of experienced instructors, along with inheriting a fear of traitors and a kneejerk reaction to casting out the tainted. I'd expect to see more Force Adepts and others about - possibly including people who were forced to defend themselves during the Siths little recruitment drive. Roving bands of half-trained or washed out padawans trying to prove themselves in the style of the Exile or Revan might actually be good plot hooks.

However on the hand, standards are lower and students aren't treated as harshly as the old Order once did. Master Sken doesn't kick anyone out - but that doesn't stop people leaving. Students are free to come and go as they choose. Some might decide they don't want to train anymore, or have gotten as much as they need. Not everyone wants to become a Knight, after all.

Jedi have rebuilt from almost nothing many times, so I don't think the lack of experienced instructors is really that big an obstacle. Furthermore, in some ways mature students with experience of real life are better suited to dealing with the temptation of the dark side than cloistered types who have known no other life but whatever they're told by their masters.

There'll be a lot of Force Adepts and people of other traditions anyway; in the KotOR era there were a lot of Force-sensetive people around. Much moreso than in later eras.

Kiero
2008-12-14, 07:12 PM
Does anyone want to hazard a go at making one of the leading students/Volunteers? As above, they're 4th level characters with 28-point buy stats.

You don't even have to own the books to play, the SagaSheet (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=866480)has everything you need. A few paragraphs of background, plus your stat-block that the sheet generates would be much appreciated.

Juhn
2008-12-14, 07:53 PM
If I can manage this without any books, I'd be happy to participate - assuming I can find the time. I played the edition previous to SAGA, so I know my way around somewhat. Last time I played a Rebellion-Era Kel Dor pilot whose line of work was pretty much a shameless ripoff of the protagonist from the Transporter movies. He was fun to play, though.

Kiero
2008-12-15, 12:23 PM
Had a go at the first Volunteer, Talos Morr an ex-Mandalorian Neo-Crusader persuaded to do some good with his life. I'm hoping he's not completely awful, effectiveness-wise.

Talos Morr CL 4

Medium Human scout 1/soldier 3
Init +9; Senses darkvision, low-light vision; Perception +10
Languages Basic, Mando'a

Defenses Ref 22 (flat-footed 19), Fort 20, Will 15; Evasion
hp 54; Threshold 20

Speed 6 squares, fly 6 squares
Melee combat gloves +5 (1d6+5) or
Melee vibroblade +5 (2d6+4)
Ranged blaster rifle +5 (3d8+2) or
Ranged blaster rifle +0 (3d8+2) with autofire
Base Atk +3; Grp +5
Atk Options autofire (blaster rifle), Point Blank Shot
Special Actions Shake It Off

Abilities Str 15, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 10
Talents Armored Defense, Evasion, Improved Armor Defense
Feats Armor Proficiency (light), Martial Arts I, Point Blank Shot, Shake it Off, Skill Training, Weapon Proficiency (advanced melee, pistols, rifles, simple)
Skills Athletics +9, Endurance +9, Initiative +9, Mechanics +8, Perception +10, Pilot +9, Stealth +9, Survival +8
Possessions blaster rifle, combat gloves, Neo-Crusader light armor (+6 armor, +2 equipment), vibroblade

He's probably a walking arsenal, with a blaster pistol and knife in addition to what's there, but the SagaSheet seems to go buggy with more than three weapons.

Kiero
2008-12-15, 01:28 PM
And a student, a classic pilot-type. Not sure if I'd have been better off sticking with Scoundrel, rather than getting that last level of Jedi. Not everyone has to swing a lightsaber, after all, and the only reason they've got Weapon Finesse is so they don't completely suck in melee. She went with Force Pilot, and used the Skill slot for something else, rather than getting Pilot as a trained skill. I reasoned it to someone who uses instincts, rather than actual practised ability to fly. She likes to "vibe it" at the controls.

Hilmi Inrull CL 4

Medium Duros Jedi 1/scoundrel 3
Init +10; Senses Perception +9
Languages Basic, Durese, Huttese, Mando'a

Defenses Ref 19 (flat-footed 16), Fort 15, Will 17; Deflect, Vehicular Combat
hp 27; Threshold 15

Speed 6 squares
Melee lightsaber +6 (2d8+2)
Ranged blaster pistol +6 (3d6+2)
Base Atk +3; Grp +6
Atk Options Point Blank Shot

Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 15
Special Qualities expert pilot
Talents Deflect, Force Pilot, Spacehound
Feats Force Sensitive, Point Blank Shot, Vehicular Combat, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers, pistols, simple)
Skills Acrobatics +10, Initiative +10, Mechanics +9, Perception +9, Pilot +5 (may reroll but must keep the result of the reroll even if worse; may Use the Force +9 instead), Use Computer +9, Use the Force +9
Possessions blaster pistol, lightsaber

Kiero
2008-12-15, 04:15 PM
So thinking about planets, there's only three detailed on Wookiepedia:
Emmer (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Emmer)- a high-grav industrial world with orbital stations and colonised asteroids.
Dalos IV (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dalos_IV) - a jungle world with a large non-human population
Reaper's World (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Reaper%27s_World) - an idyllic garden of a world (the ecological despoiling comes centuries after the game) and the sector capital, which is also where our Jedi school is.

I'm wondering if my earlier plan to put the Exchange chapter house in orbit of Dalos IV would be in danger of overcrowding that planet with details. Although it does make sense, it's a major refugee-point for non-humans and criminals can often profit from misery. At the very least there's probably a strong pirate/slaver presence trying to take advantage of the flows of people.

I'm thinking another planet to add to the Dalos system, a small mountainous world ruled over by the Exchange like their private fief. Not much by way of population, perhaps the only inhabitable parts of it (due to poisonous gases) are the heights (kind of inspired by Phantine from Double Eagle). Ecological disaster or natural occurence I'm not decided, but it seems to fit the kind of place the crimelords would want. Perhaps the gas itself is a valuable resource?

I'm not entirely sold on mono-ecology worlds, I do like a bit of variation. But I think you always need a desert planet. Perhaps for a little variation, the deserts are salt-flats, rather than traditional sand dunes? The planet was once a water-world, but it's orbit was changed and the vast oceans dried up. All the moisture is now locked in the freezing poles. Let's put this in the same system as Reaper's World, and perhaps it was once a sister planet?

What I'm also thinking is having a small Sith sect on some relatively remote planet. They're the survivors of one of the episodes of the Jedi Civil War; Master Sken managed to llure to Sith commanders to the same world, and they immediately set upon each other. Not too many survived the fratricidal battle, but those survivors are now here, plotting their revenge.

Juhn
2008-12-15, 04:19 PM
Hmm. Well, if you've already got a pilot build up there, I suppose there's no reason to reuse the old idea.

Doomsy
2008-12-15, 05:51 PM
I'll try to get something out to you later tonight, character build wise. Anything you're looking for in particular besides 4 levels and Force-using?

And the Exchange seems slightly more suited to an urban world with a lot of trade like Emmer, unless the world you're talking about putting them in orbit of has special qualities or a special inhabitant - like how Jabba chose Tattooine and made it important, etc.

The Sith idea is pretty awesome - I could imagine them on an isolated moon constantly warring with each other until they're essentially at a Somalia-like state of barely keeping the essentials going. Mini-Korriban, maybe with more intrasystem capability but still pretty reduced.

I'm not entirely fond of the one-ecosystem thing myself but it seems to be the main theme of planets in Star Wars.

Kiero
2008-12-15, 06:00 PM
I'll try to get something out to you later tonight, character build wise. Anything you're looking for in particular besides 4 levels and Force-using?

They don't even have to be Force-using - there's the Volunteers after all who generally aren't.

And the Exchange seems slightly more suited to an urban world with a lot of trade like Emmer, unless the world you're talking about putting them in orbit of has special qualities or a special inhabitant - like how Jabba chose Tattooine and made it important, etc.

That's why I'm thinking of another world in the Dalos system, perhaps with some serious industry on it as well, but still above the gas-clouds. If it's got some important mineral resource then it'll still be on the local trade routes.

The Sith idea is pretty awesome - I could imagine them on an isolated moon constantly warring with each other until they're essentially at a Somalia-like state of barely keeping the essentials going. Mini-Korriban, maybe with more intrasystem capability but still pretty reduced.

I'm not entirely fond of the one-ecosystem thing myself but it seems to be the main theme of planets in Star Wars.

I like the thought of "mini-Korriban". :smallamused:

Greg
2008-12-15, 06:26 PM
Are you running this on the boards?

Kiero
2008-12-15, 06:35 PM
Are you running this on the boards?

No, this is just some stuff I'm conjuring up for my own fun (and I might run it face-to-face one day). If someone wants to take it and use it, they're more than welcome, though.

Kiero
2008-12-16, 05:39 AM
I had a go at doing Master Sken (who doesn't have the Jedi Master PrC, it's an honourific after all), who's 14th level:

Tyro Sken CL 14

Medium Human Jedi 9/scout 1/soldier 1/Jedi Knight 3
Init +14; Senses darkvision, low-light vision; Perception +16
Languages Basic, Mando'a

Defenses Ref 32 (flat-footed 29), Fort 30, Will 28; Block, Deflect, Evasion
hp 146; Threshold 30

Speed 6 squares, fly 6 squares
Melee lightsaber +17 (2d8+9) or
Melee lightsaber +17 (2d8+11) with both hands
Ranged by weapon +15
Base Atk +13; Grp +15
Atk Options
Special Actions Battle Meditation, Improved Battle Meditation, Jedi Battle Commander, Quick Draw, Shake It Off
Force Powers Known (Use The Force +19) battle strike (2), farseeing, Force slam, mind trick (2), move object, negate energy, rebuke, surge (2), vital transfer
Force Techniques Improved Mind Trick

Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 14
Special Qualities build lightsaber
Talents Armored Defense, Battle Meditation, Block, Deflect, Evasion, Force Pilot, Improved Armor Defense, Improved Battle Meditation, Jedi Battle Commander
Feats Armor Proficiency (light), Force Sensitive, Force Training (4), Martial Arts I, Quick Draw, Shake it Off, Skill Focus (Use the Force), Skill Training, Weapon Focus (lightsabers), Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers, pistols, rifles, simple)
Skills Acrobatics +14, Athletics +14, Endurance +14, Initiative +14, Knowledge (tactics) +13, Perception +16, Pilot +9 (may Use the Force +19 instead), Survival +14, Use the Force +19
Possessions lightsaber (self-built), Neo-Crusader light armor (+6 armor, +2 equipment)

Yes, he's a Jedi who wears Mandalorian armour. :D

Kiero
2008-12-16, 01:50 PM
A nice suggestion elsewhere is on the character of Sken, and the nature of the Jedi school. He's utilitarian in his morals and views the Force as just another tool. Years of warfare have battered the idealism and spirituality out of him, and he no longer views the Force as a source of enlightment or moral development. He's always been one to find his own path, rebelling against the Council to join Revan in the Mandalorian War, but then ignoring his commander's call to arms when he turned against the Republic.

He's an arch pragmatist, viewing life more like a soldier than mystic. He doesn't teach children, because he views the Force as something potentially dangerous in immature hands, just as you wouldn't give a child a blaster. But he's blind to the wisdom a young mind could develop being trained early. He's a hard, cold, man, he avoids the dark side not through serenity but through detachment almost to the point of lacking emotion. While soldiers can appreciate a commander who's "harsh but fair" that's not necessarily the ideal for training Jedi.

He's taken on some aspects of Mandalorian life and culture, which is something that helped him beat them. However what he doesn't realise is that in doing so he became more like them. Because they were successful, there were things to emulate. Such as his preference for wearing Mandalorian armour in battle. He took it from a Marshal he killed in single combat.

He views his school almost like an officer training academy for his army, composed of the Volunteers. While the various community leaders don't fear the Jedi taking their children, they are unease about his private army. He's no diplomat.

There's also a nascent faction in the school formed around one of the senior students who is more interested in the religious aspects of the Force, feeling that connection to all.

SydneyLosstarot
2008-12-17, 04:27 PM
Well, maybe you'll help me?
I have a pretty solid concept, but some trouble realising it mechanically.

meet Nyzar Kreen, the Miralukan Seer.

so he's basically something like a Noble 3/Jedi 1
He's been hanging out with Luka Sene guys back at homeworld.
His ultimate goal is to understand the nature of the Force most deeply, so he's constantly searching for means of improving his Force Sight. So he does see quite a lot, and goes wandering around the galaxy. And where can one find a better Force training than at a Jedi Conclave.
he would be charismatic, arrogant and mystic at the same time, one moment uttering some prophetic riddles, the other pranking someone, yet another duelling with the man he's just insulted. Still those things are secondary to his obsession with the Force itself. Places where it runs freely attract him like notjing else. However, he always draws the line between improving his abilities and giving in to his obsession, and he's never left a friend in real need.

Str 10, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 14 (28 point buy, don't know where to put those adjustments)

1st level feat: Force Sensitivity(then gets Training as a racial bonus). Dunno about two other feats.

Force Powers: i want them divination and perception oriented, so Farseeing is a must. I'm also considering Mind Trick("so fun messing with people's heads!"), Rebuke("you call _that_ a Force lightning?") and Battle Strike("That guy, Achilles, i guess we should cut his heel off").

Talents: i'm certain only with Noble Fencing Style. Maybe Improved Force Sight and Illusion("How come you've got two more eyes than me and can't see the damn rancor?")

Skills: Use the Force, Deception, Persuasion, Perception, Knowledge(galactic lore, social sciences), Initiative.

And he's gonna be wielding a lightfoil. I just like the idea and it fits the noble fencing thing.

Kiero
2008-12-17, 06:00 PM
Some Weapon Focus? He's going to have a hard time hitting anything with neither a good Str, nor good Dex (if he had the latter at least you could get Weapon Finesse).

SydneyLosstarot
2008-12-18, 03:08 AM
he's got Cha to hit from Noble Fencing.
Maybe get another Force training+Force Focus and make him the battlefield controlling guy?

Kiero
2009-02-13, 07:59 PM
Turns out I will actually be running this as a short campaign of about six sessions or so. Just for clarity, I won't be using Saga Edition, but rather an adaptation of FATE 3.0 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103051). I've got three players, two of whom are thoroughly sold on the idea, the third who knows it's KotOR and is pretty accomodating (but couldn't be at the brainstorming session).

The pitch was simple; the PCs are troubleshooters attached to Master Sken's academy, trusted to get out there and fix things. I really stressed that Sken is an absent kind of commander/mentor, he won't be ordering the PCs around or interfering in what they're doing.

I've started off their character ruminations (and I hope I'm doing them justice in my summations). First up, we have an Omwati (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Omwati) Mandalorian (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian). Once a scribe doomed to live the same existence as all her ancestors, her life was simultaneously destroyed and liberated by the Neo-Crusaders. Her talents with book-keeping and a knack for logistics, at exactly the time when Cassus Fett was trying to organise the Mandalorians into an army rather than a mob, meant she found a way off the front lines. She became a logistics officer and engineer, finding time to indulge a new hobby of hers - tomb raiding. After the Mandalorian Wars, she wandered with her clan, settling here in the Nilgaard Sector. Where she's ended up in the Volunteers.

The second who is still coalescing, is an alien war veteran, turned Sith assassin (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_assassin), turned Jedi. Who might also have once been an Arkanian (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Arkanian) experiment, designed to fight some insectoid alien invaders, but arrived too late for that conflict. He fought for the Republic in the Mandalorian Wars, went Sith in the Jedi Civil War, and was drafted into the Sith Assassins. His part in the Dark Wars was as a member of the squad sent to kill Master Sken, and he was the only survivor. Somehow he went from there to becoming a Jedi. We know he's a Jar'Kai stylist, possibly a rare twin-shoto (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shoto) variant.

Third is yet to come, but given we already have a skill-monkey and warrior, a face-man would seem the natural role for them. Whether that's a noble/politican type, or grifter/scoundrel, or something else entirely, remains to be seen.

I came up with a solution to something that came up in the game. Which is where Sken's academy gets money from, given the newly-reformed Jedi Order on Coruscant is skint. Aside from a small stipend the various governments provide, they also get a share of spoils. Bust a pirate ring, they get a percentage of the pirate's hoard. And so on. If they openly identify themselves, they are also exempt from a lot of official charges like docking fees, and may even get free accomodation and meals and such.

I figure they'll have themselves a battered Dynamic-class freighter (confiscated off some pirates), with a pilot and a couple of astromechs to keep it running.

So I need to come up with an intro situation that will pitch the PCs right in at the deep end in sorting out the mess.

My first thought was something involving slavery, which is endemic in this part of space, but I don't know if that's not a bit cliche. There's always pirates, too.

A random idea I had was a Basilisk war-droid (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Basilisk_war_droid) turning up at some point. Either deactivated or gone crazy. Because they're cool, and we have a Mando PC who could recruit/repair it. For...profit!

Ideas welcome! :D

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-02-13, 08:11 PM
The awesomeness of this whole thing just cannot be described in words!:smallcool: