PDA

View Full Version : Reasonability of Limited Wish, Wish, and Miracle options

Defiant
2008-12-14, 02:17 PM
What's reasonable and what's not reasonable about potential uses of limited wish, wish, and miracle?

For example, one of my questions on the FAQ thread:

Can you limited wish for a second contingency spell that works as another contingency on you (I know it would probably be up to the DM, I'm asking if it's reasonable)?

I.e. I cast contingency spell of bull's strength.
I limited wish for another contingency spell that would stack with my previous one, of bear's endurance. (listed spells may not be the ones used in the spells)

Yukitsu
2008-12-14, 02:19 PM
If I DM'd that, I would give you a crafted contingency as the second one, meaning you'd have it, but have an increased EXP cost for the one use item involved.

Defiant
2008-12-14, 02:21 PM
If I DM'd that, I would give you a crafted contingency as the second one, meaning you'd have it, but have an increased EXP cost for the one use item involved.

Contingency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/contingency.htm) has no XP cost. The whole point of trying this is to prevent having to use "Contingent Spell" which takes XP.

Yukitsu
2008-12-14, 02:25 PM
A crafted contingency is an item, and wishing for items has a cost. It's in complete arcane. I would not allow a player to wish for extra contingencies without attaining that item, as limited and full wish can emulate spells. Anything above emulation should try to fit into any of the other listed categories, and if that doesn't work the DM should be able to twist the wording if the effect is too great, and multiple contingencies can be.

Jasdoif
2008-12-14, 02:36 PM
Contingency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/contingency.htm) has no XP cost. The whole point of trying this is to prevent having to use "Contingent Spell" which takes XP.Casting limited wish takes at least 300XP. In the vast majority of cases you'd be better off, XP-cost-wise, simply crafting a Contingency Spell item.

Defiant
2008-12-14, 02:48 PM
Casting limited wish takes at least 300XP. In the vast majority of cases you'd be better off, XP-cost-wise, simply crafting a Contingency Spell item.

Good point. I misread it thinking there's no XP cost if you're emulating a lower-level spell.