PDA

View Full Version : Colorweaver PrC, need advice/criticizing

Eloel
2008-12-14, 02:27 PM
Colorweaver
There is no strong nor weak colors. There's the right, and the wrong ones.
Coltwe the Colorweaver

A Colorweaver utilizes the power of colors to destroy their enemies and help their allies.

BECOMING A COLORWEAVER
Colorweavers become what they are by committing themselves to understanding colors and their effects on the world.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
: Neutral on good-evil axis, Colorweavers, unlike many other neutral-aligned people, are not neutral because of a lack of commitment to good or evil, but are neutral because of their commitment to neutrality.
: No innate energy resistance or immunity
: Knowledge (any 2), 8 ranks each

Class Skills
The Colorweaver's class skills are....Appraise, Balance, Craft, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Hide, Knowledge (all, taken individually), Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spot, Swim, Tumble

Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int
Hit Dice: d8
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Color Force (+1), Primary Color(1), Colorful Rush
2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|-
3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Primary Color(2)
4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Color Force (+2)
5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Secondary Color(1), Share the Color
6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Primary Color (3)
7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Secondary Color(2), Color Force (+3)
8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|-
9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Secondary Color(3)
10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|Black and White, Color Force (+4)[/table]
Weapon Proficiencies: A Colorweaver doesn't gain proficiency in any weapon or armor.

Class Abilities

Colorful Rush(ex)
A Colorweaver gains +2 to initiative checks and +10 to base land speed when not wearing any armor or wearing light armor.

Color Force(ex)
A Colorweaver has the ability to manipulate colors of his choice. The colors and their effects are described under their respective abilities. A Colorweaver can turn off their power of the currently active color as a swift action, and can turn another one on as a free action. The Colorweaver can't have more than one color active at a time. (It can't be dispelled or supressed, because it's an extraordinary ability, and not merely magic)
A Weaver, although able to use Color Defense as much as he desires, is only able to use Color Touch 1 minute/level for every color. It need not be continous, yet the smallest interval is 12 seconds, except Black and White touches, which have their own limitations.

Color Defense

-Resistance to EnergyType, 5 * Color Force
-Orange, Black, White are exceptions, see color descriptions

Color Touch

-A Colorweaver can make a melee touch attack with the color of his choice. That touch attack is considered an unarmed strike, for all purposes. Upon hitting, the Colorweaver deals his normal unarmed strike damage, and color effect with the color he's currently using. Color Touch can apply to all unarmed strikes, so it can be used in conjuction with Flurry of Blows done with unarmed strikes.

-The Colorweaver can also choose to make a ranged touch attack with the color of his choice. Such an attack has a range increment of 30 ft, and can be used to make as many attacks as your base attack allows. When used ranged, the Color Touch can be used in conjuction with feats like Rapidshot and Manyshot.

The Colorweaver has +1 modifier to Color Force at 1st level, and it increases by 1 every 3 levels.

Primary Color
A Colorweaver is proficient with the primary color of his choice. Once chosen, it can't be changed, yet new ones are added as Colorweaver's experience in weaving goes up. The Colorweaver can choose one primary color at first level, one at third level, and one at sixth level.

Red; Fire
Red Touch deals 1d8*Color Force fire damage for every hit.

Blue; Cold
Blue Touch deals 1d6*Color Force+Half Enemy's HD (upto 3) cold damage for every hit

Yellow; Electricity
Yellow Touch deals 1d6*Color Force electric damage, and you get +2 to attack rolls if enemy is wearing metal armor, or +1 to attack roll, if the enemy is bearing a metal shield or weapon.

Secondary Color
A Colorweaver, in addition to his proficiency with Primary Colors, gains proficiency with Secondary Colors. At level 5, he gains one Secondary Color, at level 7, he gains another, and finally at level 9, he completes his palette of colors. First Secondary Color has to be the mixture of the first 2 primary colors you choose. Purple for Red/Blue, Green for Blue/Yellow, Orange for Red/Yellow.

Purple; Sonic
Purple Touch deals 1d6*Color Force damage, and ignores hardness of any object, when attacking objects.

Green; Acid
Green Touch deals 1d4*Color Force damage when you first deal your damage, and half that damage for next 2 rounds.

Orange; Earth
Orange Touch deals 1d6*Color Force damage. As there's no Earth Resistance, the power of Orange Touch is improved. When dealing Orange Touch with unarmed attacks, the unarmed attacks bypass DR. Orange Defense provides you with 2*Color Force/- damage resistance.

Share the Color
As a swift action, you may lend one or both of your color abilities to anyone you touch. When you lend them your ability, you can't use it till you recall the ability from the person you've lended, as a free action that doesn't need touching.
If you change the color you're using when you've lended an ability, that ability also changes accordingly, and you don't need to touch them again to bestow it again, unless you've recalled your ability since the last time you bestowed it. The sharing lasts until you recall or 10 minutes, whichever is sooner.

Black and White
Upon reaching tenth level, the Colorweaver gains the ability to make use of Black and White colors.

Black; Negative
Black Touch bestows 1d4 negative levels per touch, and you can only use Black Touch equal to your HD every day. Black Defense reduces the negative levels you get by 1, if you're ever on the receiving end of negative level dealing.

White; Positive
White Touch, instead of dealing White Damage, heals 4d8 damage per touch, and you can only use White Touch equal to your HD every day. White Defense provides you with 10 resistance to every energy.

As normal, every negative level to be dealt on an undead instead gives them 5 temporary hitpoints, and healing instead damages them.

PLAYING A COLORWEAVER
A Colorweaver lives behind the meatshields of the team, giving close support, holding breaches whenever necessary.
Combat: Colorweavers generally rush in fast, deal considerable damage, then fall behind the main fighting line to support them. Their Colorful Rush helps them use this tactic, yet other tactics are possible.
Advancement: Most Colorweavers advance to classes focused on unarmed striking, as their main power is using unarmed attacks in conjuction with Color Touches.
Resources: Colorweavers usually see nature's adjustment to circumstances as the ultimate way of surviving, so they live in nature, with harmony with it.

COLORWEAVERS IN THE WORLD
Those are not light effects, that's a Colorweaver!

Colorweavers are usually treated with respect by those who want to learn more about the forces of color and elements. Anyone who first encounters a Colorweaver looks down upon them, until they realize the force they bear.
Daily Life: Most Colorweavers live in the wilderness, although there are a few that live in cities. The ones living in the wilderness work on improving their bond with the nature, and their force upon the colors, while the ones in the city are usually those that believe they've reached the limit of the force of colors.
Notables: The most notable Colorweaver is Coltwe, the founder of the forces of color. Colorweaving is not learned in a school, it's learned by experience, and from other Colorweavers.
Organizations: When said organizations, Rainbow Guild is the first that comes to mind about Colorweavers. The Rainbow Guild's sole purpose is to understand colors deeper, and find powers of other colors. The organization, although mostly joint by Colorweavers, is home to many monks and druids who want a deeper understanding of the power acting upon the world.

COLORWEAVERS IN THE GAME
Resistance/Immunity to a damage type won't stop experienced Colorweavers, as they can quickly change their color and keep on pummeling with the new force.
Adaptation: Most Colorweavers are monks who went for a deeper understanding of forces. PCs, and NPCs could be seekers of force, which they would gain as they gain experience with the usage of their force.
Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

Sample Encounter
Traon, a Colorweaver, blames the town of disturbing nature and tipping the balance of colors. The PCs arrive right at the moment Traon starts blasting the people in the town, and they should put a stop to his fury, although they know he isn't evil.
EL 15: Traon's only aim is to make people understand the balance of the nature, and the colors. He won't attack who's willing to come to terms with him, yet he attack anyone who sounds threathening to himself or the balance.

Traon Colorweaver
Lawful Neutral/Male/Human/Monk 5/Colorweaver 10
Init +10, Senses: Listen +20, Spot +20,
Languages
Common, Terran
------------------------------------------------
AC 23, touch 17, flat-footed 19
HP97 (15d8 HD)
Fort +10, Ref +11, Will +10
------------------------------------------------
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares)
Melee 16/11/6 (for unarmed)
Base Atk +11/+6/+1, Grp +15
Atk Options
Flurry of Blows, +15/+15/+10/+5, 2d8
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities 8 Str , 18 Dex , 15 Con , 14 Int , 13 Wis , 12 Cha
SQ Flurry of Blows, Evasion, Still Mind, Ki Strike (Magic), Slow Fall 20 ft, Still Mind, Colorful Rush, Primary Color(Red, Blue, Yellow), Secondary Color(Purple, Green, Orange), Share the Color, Black and White, Color Force(+4)
Feats Improved Initiative (Human), Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple (Monk 1), Combat Expertise (Level 1), Combat Reflexes (Monk 2), Weapon Finesse (Unarmed) (Level 3), Improved Disarm (Level 6), Weapon Focus (Unarmed) (Level 9), Improved Natural Attack (Level 12), Deflect Arrows (Level 15)
Skills Listen 18, Spot 18, Knowledge (arcana) 18, Knowledge (religion) 18, Tumble 18, Balance 18
Possessions
Monk's Belt, Bracers of Armor +6, 10k worth of other stuff.

Eloel
2008-12-15, 08:49 AM
Shamelessly bumping

Owrtho
2008-12-15, 08:57 AM
You should colour the text. To make it awsome! As for balance, etc., I still need t. read it more in depth (lust did a quick look)

Owrtho

Heliomance
2008-12-15, 09:20 AM
Why do you require not having any natural immunities?

Eloel
2008-12-15, 09:29 AM
Because that would make the character biased towards one color, ruining the perfectly balanced view of the PrC. :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2008-12-15, 05:16 PM
I have printed out a copy of this and made some suggestions in pen on it... will type in when I have the energy... for now...

"Tweaker" seems a poor word to use...
To fit the theme better, consider requiriing ranks in Craft(Painter), and/or Craft(Glass-cutter) {For stained glass windows} instead of some random knowledge skills...
Knowledge(The Planes) would be a good specific on IMHO.

For black, it is a number of times per day equal to your character level (not class level?) that you can use the power, right? Not a number of negative levels inflicted?

The phrase "per day" needs to be tacked on at after the word "times" in several places I think.

You do realize that energy damage bypasses all DR, right?

Eloel
2008-12-19, 03:16 PM
"Tweaker" seems a poor word to use...

It was the first that came to my mind, and I'd like it to stay that way, majorly due to me getting used to the name that way.

To fit the theme better, consider requiriing ranks in Craft(Painter), and/or Craft(Glass-cutter) {For stained glass windows} instead of some random knowledge skills...
Knowledge(The Planes) would be a good specific on IMHO.

Specifics to knowledge limits the classes that can enter the PrC, I want it to be an option to everyone (or mostly everyone).

For black, it is a number of times per day equal to your character level (not class level?) that you can use the power, right? Not a number of negative levels inflicted?

It's character level + racial HD, e.g total HD.
It's power/day, not level/day, it's only fair for a class based on colors (and colors only), to get enough uses to be useful with a color-based ability, after all, they had 10 levels of this PrC to reach there, and it should be worth it.

The phrase "per day" needs to be tacked on at after the word "times" in several places I think.

Will look into that.

You do realize that energy damage bypasses all DR, right?
I do. Orange Touch deals damage ignoring DR if dealt by an unarmed attack (e.g, the unarmed attack is not subject to the DR), if that's what you're referring at.
(Looks like poor wording on my part, will work on fixing it)

Reptilius
2008-12-19, 03:51 PM
It was the first that came to my mind, and I'd like it to stay that way, majorly due to me getting used to the name that way.

Okay, but your example character his this class listed as colorweaver. While I think that sounds better, it's a pretty easy typo to make. More than once I've written a word I had written immediately prior in place of a similar one.

Anyway, Color Tweaker makes me chuckle whenever I hear it.

Eloel
2008-12-20, 12:43 AM
My subconc. is telling me to make it colorweaver I guess. Thanks for pointing that out.