PDA

View Full Version : Halp! I don't know what to get my brother!

Mr. Moon
2008-12-14, 05:15 PM
So, my brother is coming home on Boxing Day, so on the way to the airport, I'm gonna stop at EB Games and pick up something while the prices are low. Only problem is, I don't know what to look for. I wanted to get him Left 4 Dead, but A) Mom won't let me, and B) I'm to young to buy M rated games. I think. If Mom would let me get them anyway.
He told me that he might be able to get a copy of FFVII for me, so I'd like to at least get him something good in return.

So, he's into zombie shooters, and FPS's. Preferably something funny. He has access to a PS2 and an XBox 360. Although, since the PS2 is mine, I'd prefer if it was for his XBox. I don't have a clue what he already has, but we'll deal with that later. Any suggestions?

Oregano
2008-12-14, 05:17 PM
Maybe Timesplitters : Future Perfect, it's quite old but definately fun and zombies are only in for a while but they're in it and it's two player!

Crispy Dave
2008-12-14, 05:24 PM
Dead space
gears of war 2
fallout 3(gouls are like zombies)

more to come after lunch check this post.

edit:

IF its no M games then any of the above good 360 games wont work

Fable 2
Lego games
COD4
COD5(not as good as 4 but there's zombies)
Civilization Revolution(only game less then a T rating that is at least a 8/10)
Shadowrun(only if he has xbox live)

warty goblin
2008-12-14, 05:30 PM
Damn, no M games and zombie shooters don't exactly go together that well. It's sort of like asking for a pecan sundae without nuts...

I'd suggest the Orange Box if he doesn't have that. It's M, but not nearly* as hard an M as Left 4 Dead, although ironically I found the zombies to be about 200% more disturbing/terrifying than those of L4D, and there's a reasonable chance that one could convince one's parents to allow the purchase of that.

Barring that the Halo games feature zombies, and also are not that hard an M. Really can't think of any T games that have zombies though.

* About as violent as it gets in Half-Life 2 + Episode 1 (haven't gotten to Ep. 2 yet, but I assume consistency) is being able to cut some zombies in half by throwing sawblades at them. There's some blood, but honestly not that much more than some T games. In L4D one can enter a room then proceed to blow the heads off of upwards of twenty zombies with a high powered rifle in skull-spattering glory as a matter of course, something you do roughly every three minutes seconds.

onasuma
2008-12-14, 05:49 PM
I dont know the rating system, but team fortress 2 is a great game, loads of replayability, and easy to get by parents due to the cartoony asthetic.

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-14, 05:54 PM
Give him the greatest gift of all.
Portal.

Kane
2008-12-14, 06:00 PM
EDIT: Curse you, Stupendous Man! Ninja'd!

Portal? Kind of random, but it's a good game, and everyone I know who's played it has liked it...

Fallout 3 (Mutants are kind of like zombies, too!)

In the same vein as Portal (random, but good.) maybe Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, if it's for the 360/PS2

And if your parents will accept old games, it's possible to get modern-pc-friendly copies of System Shock 2 online, and fairly cheaply. It's FPS-shooty goodness.

Tried to hit off-the-wall ideas. Hope I helped.

chiasaur11
2008-12-14, 06:12 PM
Portal is pure joy.

It's like Christmas made of Bacon and love. If you can't get M games...

Mr. Moon
2008-12-14, 06:21 PM
But isn't Portal for the computer?

Although, I must admit, I was considering Spore, although it takes ages to get a game installed onto our computer.

chiasaur11
2008-12-14, 06:23 PM
Or the 360.

It's called Portal, Still Alive, and is available for downloadable purchases.

Crispy Dave
2008-12-14, 07:05 PM
Or the 360.

or included in the orange box

Player_Zero
2008-12-14, 07:22 PM
Cardboard box.

Tell him to make his own fun.

Back in my day all we had was our imagination!

Stupendous_Man
2008-12-14, 07:23 PM
Cardboard box.

Tell him to make his own fun.

Back in my day all we had was our imagination!

You kinds don't know how good you had it. In my day, we didn't even have imagination! We had to make do with sticks, stones, and mud.

Sometimes, we didn't even have the mud.

warty goblin
2008-12-14, 07:32 PM
You kinds don't know how good you had it. In my day, we didn't even have imagination! We had to make do with sticks, stones, and mud.

Sometimes, we didn't even have the mud.

And if we did have mud, we couldn't play in it, because all our bones had been broken by the sticks and stones.

Shades of Gray
2008-12-14, 07:35 PM
And if we did have mud, we couldn't play in it, because all our bones had been broken by the sticks and stones.

And back then words DID hurt us.:smallannoyed:

Crispy Dave
2008-12-14, 07:39 PM

in my day we were lucky if we ever got our bones broken.

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-14, 08:01 PM
in my day we were lucky if we ever got our bones broken.

And back in my day, we didn't derail threads!

are there any other games he's interested in aside from zombie shooters?
And in a similar vane, is there anything aside from a game he's interested in?

Mr. Moon
2008-12-14, 08:09 PM
Or the 360.

Heh. I've already got Still Alive of my iPod.

or included in the orange box

The whut?

By the way, how much is Portal? In Canadian, if possible.

Edit:

are there any other games he's interested in aside from zombie shooters?
And in a similar vane, is there anything aside from a game he's interested in?
Uhmmm... I don't know? It doesn't have to be a zomie game. He's just happy to be shooting things. :smallsigh:
And again, I don't know. He likes R.A. Salvator, but I don't wanna get him those books. He's into Twilight, too... :smallsigh::smallsigh:

chiasaur11
2008-12-14, 08:20 PM
Heh. I've already got Still Alive of my iPod.

The whut?

By the way, how much is Portal? In Canadian, if possible.

Edit:

1200 microsoft points for Portal, Standard game price for the Orange box, which is a collection with Half Life 2, the episodes, Team Fortress 2, and (Angelic Choir) Portal. Still Alive is Portal with a few more bonus levels. If you can get it, however, I recommend the PC version. You need Steam, but you get user created content and free Valve tech fixes and new levels and weapons.

Mr. Moon
2008-12-14, 09:37 PM
Telling me it costs 1200 Microsoft points is like telling me it costs 950 Yupes. I have NO idea what you're talking about. I can haz explunashun plz?

JeffreyToTheMax
2008-12-14, 09:46 PM
1000 Microsoft points = 12.50 USD, about 15.50 CAD.

So 1200 points is equal to 15 American dollars, and 18.59 Canadian.

That's the conversion I found for Canadian dollars, but I'm not sure if maybe it's priced much differently up there. Also it might be different if it's available on Steam.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-12-14, 10:09 PM
If he doesn't have it, grab him the whole orange box. If its just no M rated games, no questions asked, then its probably out of the question. But just looking at the box art and the back of the game, etc, and maybe a little research, it shouldent turn your mom off unless she is ultra anti-violence. If thats the case, then I wonder how your brother got into zombie games in the first place... :smallconfused:

Mr. Moon
2008-12-14, 10:21 PM
How much is the orange box?

Yes. I am aware I sound like a broken record, why do you ask?

chiasaur11
2008-12-14, 10:21 PM
If he doesn't have it, grab him the whole orange box. If its just no M rated games, no questions asked, then its probably out of the question. But just looking at the box art and the back of the game, etc, and maybe a little research, it shouldent turn your mom off unless she is ultra anti-violence. If thats the case, then I wonder how your brother got into zombie games in the first place... :smallconfused:

Yeah. Heck, the price dropped to 30 US dollars on Steam, so you have no excuse.

If you don't get it on computer for your brother, get it for yourself.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-12-14, 10:29 PM
It's pretty freakin' cheap. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8533848&st=the+orange+box&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1186008219097)

Raroy
2008-12-14, 10:32 PM
I could never resists a cry for halp. A cry for help? Sure. I ignore cries for help all the time. But never halp.

Does he have dead rising(the zombie game in the mall. I think it's this one. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)? It's not an fps, but it is funny.

Crispy Dave
2008-12-14, 11:15 PM
I could never resists a cry for halp. A cry for help? Sure. I ignore cries for help all the time. But never halp.

Does he have dead rising(the zombie game in the mall. I think it's this one. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)? It's not an fps, but it is funny.

oo I still havent played that I keep forgeting all the games I need to play.

Knaight
2008-12-15, 12:15 AM
If you have a chance at Indie games, download Lugaru. Just do it. Its the best martial art game in existence when it comes to system, beautiful controls, you can download the demo, and then pay about 20 dollars(US) to get the real version. Totally worth it. And a sequel is coming out soon(not soon enough, but soon).

tokonaut
2008-12-15, 02:24 PM
Get Bioshock or Dead rising and put it in an unmarked box no one will ever know.:smallbiggrin:

Crispy Dave
2008-12-16, 03:05 PM
ok the breakdown

Orange box: comes with Half life 2+episode 1 and 2, Portal and team fortress 2.

Portal still alive: is availible for download from xbox live and has bonus maps for portal if you buy a 1600 microsoft point card($20) your brother could use it for this plus have points left over.

ps make sure he has xbox live before getting him the point card.

Mr. Moon
2008-12-16, 07:39 PM
@Myatar_Panwar: Huh. To bad I hate Best Buy. Stupid store's got it's logo all over the city. :smallmad:

@Raroy: Actualy, I think he does. Dunno, but it seems like the kinda game he'd get.

@Knaight: Forgive my ignorance, but when you refer to Indie games, are you talking about the music genre or some brand I've never heard of?

@tokonaut: Ahh... No.

@crispydave: Meh. I think I'll just get him the Orange Box. He can do all the fancy stuff on his own.

Anyway, I went down to EB Games yesterday, and asked if they had any copies of the Orange Box for the PC yesterday - turns out they have three in stock. I should be able to afford it tomorrow. To bad I'll never get to play it... *sigh*

Edit: So, yeah. Thanks, guys. :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2008-12-16, 08:52 PM
Just get it for yourself through steam.

30 bucks is a small price for the glories of Portal.

And you get Half Life 2, the episodes, and TF2 in the bargain. And Peggle Extreme.

Oh, and Indie games basically means small developer. You know, the titles that get lost in the holiday shuffle like World of Goo, Darwinia, etc.