PDA

View Full Version : I miss Thog.

Datatroll
2008-12-15, 01:38 AM
That's it. That's the whole thread.

I just miss Thog and wondered if anybody else did.

Scion_of_Darkness
2008-12-15, 02:26 AM
I actually wouldn't mind another storyline featuring the villains again. Both Xykon and Co. and the Linear Guild should get some screen time. I would prefer if this came after Roy's resurrection and the Order's reunion though.

Greep
2008-12-15, 02:31 AM
I'd rather the focus went to reuniting the order. 5+ parallel storylines may work for a novel... but a graphic novel? Nah. The comics have been truly epic lately, but even still I'm almost liking the early comics better even though they weren't this level of awesomeness. Heck even in novels 5+ stroylines tends to be terrible, who in god's name liked "the two towers" in the LotR trilogy? (the book I mean, not the movie. The movie I rather liked :))

Euron
2008-12-15, 04:28 AM
I'd rather the focus went to reuniting the order. 5+ parallel storylines may work for a novel... but a graphic novel? Nah. The comics have been truly epic lately, but even still I'm almost liking the early comics better even though they weren't this level of awesomeness. Heck even in novels 5+ stroylines tends to be terrible, who in god's name liked "the two towers" in the LotR trilogy? (the book I mean, not the movie. The movie I rather liked :))

I, for one. I hated the movie (1, 3 were pretty... decent).

Jan Mattys
2008-12-15, 04:30 AM

The book was totally cool. The Rohan part was awesome.

The movie, was horrible.

:smallsmile:

This said, I think the most epic part of OOTS so far has been the huge showdown at Azure City. Absolutely awesome.

Greep
2008-12-15, 04:55 AM
which incidentally looks a lot like a LotR battle. See? I was going somewhere with that XD

TempusCCK
2008-12-15, 04:59 AM
The Two Towers was amazing.

As for all the storylines going on at once, I rather like the narrative, though I'd love to see the Order get back together and hope it happens soon. We're all here because we love this silly little stick figure comic, I have faith that Mr. Burlew knows what he's doing and will tell me a good story.

DBear
2008-12-15, 05:00 AM
:thog: Compared to Crystal, Thog is genius!

Greep
2008-12-15, 05:17 AM
eh well I guess there's the two towers people and the fellowship people. Curse them for taking out Tom bombadil in the movies! Anyways. Umm.. thog >.> I guess my going this far off-topic shows how much I care about thog. I mean he's kind of like this comic's "bun-bun" only with an I.Q. of 3.

Athaniar
2008-12-15, 05:23 AM
I agree, thog (lowercase intended) is an amusing character. I would like to see more of him, and the rest of the Guild.

And for the LotR thing, I liked them all, both books and films.

Querzis
2008-12-15, 07:52 AM
I definitly wanna see the Linear Guild again, not just Thog. Seriously, what have they been doing all this time? Its been what, about 10 months? Well at least, I hope we'll get a book about their backstory sooner or later.

And the movies are better then the books. The books are still great but the movies are just plain awesome.

The Minx
2008-12-15, 07:56 AM
I definitly wanna see the Linear Guild again, not just Thog. Seriously, what have they been doing all this time? Its been what, about 10 months? Well at least, I hope we'll get a book about their backstory sooner or later.

Probably they're stuck somewhere on the Western Continent, since Nale probably wasn't quite as smart as he thought he was. Remember, he was dismissive of Sabine's concerns as to whether he could master the gate over there with the words "Xykon thought he could and I'm smarter than him" or some such. :smallwink:

And the movies are better then the books. The books are still great but the movies are just plain awesome.

Do not concur. The movies were good, but the books were better. :smallsmile:

Mercenary Pen
2008-12-15, 08:04 AM
Would like to see the return of the linear guild... especially if they mixed up the equal opposites a bit...

For example: Running Thog as Belkar's evil opposite (or potentially Belkar's not-really-evil opposite), and Nale as Roy's evil opposite- the way they probably should have been all along...

Studoku
2008-12-15, 08:20 AM
:thog: thog sad when thog not in comic.

TheSummoner
2008-12-15, 09:12 AM
I miss Thog too...

:thog: thog more intel-uh-gent than badly dressed C-list villain with girly sword.

Still, I'd like to see the current thieves guild problems solved first. At the very least, Haley, Belkar, and Celia need to get away from Old Dead Pete's house (hopefully killing Bozzak in the process). They can go back for Roy's body later.

Yoyoyo
2008-12-15, 10:41 AM
Can't have :thog: while :roy: is a walking corpse (they are opposites, after all). Although, Thog may finally be able to out-wit Roy.

:thog: thog smaht, not like evey buddy says!

Mariel Dragon
2008-12-15, 11:04 AM

Indeed. Also, see my signature for my opinion on Thog's return

yanmaodao
2008-12-15, 03:25 PM
The longer Thog goes without making an appearance, the more innocent people die from sugar-rush boredom-induced rampages. Bringing him back is the only conscionable thing to do.

Zevox
2008-12-15, 04:32 PM
On :thog: : he's fun, but we're getting a lot of :belkar: at the moment, so I'm quite happy. We'll see the big green oaf again sooner or later. For now, I'd rather bask in the awesome that is our Sexy Shoeless God of War. Who knows how much longer he has to live, after all...

On LotR: The novels were definitely better than the movies. There's a lot about Tolkien's world and mythology that simply could not be captured in movies like that and still make sense to the larger audience, but which are absolutely fantastic reads if you explore the novels and his other writings. Plus there were a few changes made in the movies that just bugged me... but I'll restrain myself from making a tangential discussion or rant out of that.

Zevox

David Argall
2008-12-15, 04:41 PM
A LG chapter is a definite possibility. We had such a foreshadowing in NCPB. But it is clearly not going to happen for a few strips. Come back next year.

[TS] Shadow
2008-12-15, 05:34 PM
I miss Thog. I expect at least a few strips of the LG soon. Probably inbetween Haley contacting Durkon and Elan/Durkon coming to Haley. They will probably only get about as much screen time as they got in No Cure for the Paladin Blues, though.

On LotR (I don't know why we're even talking about this, though): All three movies are over-rated to the extreme. Not bad, just over-rated. I haven't read the books, but you shouldn't have to read a book in order to like or dislike it's movie translation.

So you should all be able to know my feelings on the Twilight movie, then. :smalltongue:

Zevox
2008-12-15, 05:42 PM
Shadow;5482755']I haven't read the books, but you shouldn't have to read a book in order to like or dislike it's movie translation.
:smallconfused: Er, you don't. The first movie was actually what prompted me to read the books in the first place. They actually left a lot out of the movies most likely because they didn't have the space to explain it in their more limited format, and thus it wouldn't make sense to anyone who hadn't read the books.

Zevox

Greep
2008-12-15, 05:54 PM
well I feel personally respoinsible for this LotR sub-topic, so here's a thread started for that :D (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99704)

But yeah thog... eh, rich does many things well, but crazed psychopathic funny murderer I think is just too overdone.

People missing him should write fanfics (or shipping *puke*)

[TS] Shadow
2008-12-15, 05:56 PM
:smallconfused: Er, you don't. The first movie was actually what prompted me to read the books in the first place. They actually left a lot out of the movies most likely because they didn't have the space to explain it in their more limited format, and thus it wouldn't make sense to anyone who hadn't read the books.

Zevox

It's just that a lot of people combat my semi-dislike of the movies with "you haven't read the books, noob?" I hate the internet sometimes. This site is actually full of smart people; I'm surprised.

Greep
2008-12-15, 05:58 PM
bad part about smart people>>> arrogance. Then, when you have a forum full of smart people, the not so smart people end up being arrogant to fit in,too. It gets messy.

A forum full of thogs tho? even messier!

Linkavitch
2008-12-15, 08:36 PM
Probably everyone who reads this comic does. (Including me!)

Kranden
2008-12-16, 12:03 AM
eh well I guess there's the two towers people and the fellowship people. Curse them for taking out Tom bombadil in the movies!

I think it was the right thing to do for 2 reasons.

1. They would have had to at least put him in the movie for half an hour already increasing the immense amount of time in the movie otherwise it would have been like huh?

2. Tom Bombadil is in his own way a symbol of naturalism is a constrasting force to the industrialism of evil. How would you portray a force of nature and philosophy in a movie without cheapening it and not spending a ton of time doing it.

whitelaughter
2008-12-16, 05:57 AM
prison changed Thog quickly.

What will too many strips without him do? :smalleek:

Hydro Globus
2008-12-16, 06:03 AM
You mean the strips on his prison uniform?

(ok, ok, sorry) *runs away*

Samurai Jill
2008-12-16, 10:54 AM
That's it. That's the whole thread.

I just miss Thog and wondered if anybody else did.
...Yeah. Kinda.

Liwen
2008-12-16, 11:30 AM
If I miss him? Well has a funny character who makes me laugh at times, yeah I'd like to see him soon. But I don't actually want to meet him in person. His idea of fun is... rather deadly (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0362.html).

mec
2008-12-16, 11:34 AM
You miss Thog.
Thog hit you!
Thog roll d12 ...

Kagehime
2008-12-16, 11:40 AM
You miss Thog.
Thog hit you!
Thog roll d12 ...

Thog hack at forum member in head with axe!
It mangled!
Right eye torn out! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DwarfFortress)

Ceric
2008-12-16, 09:16 PM
I miss the whole Linear Guild. :smallfrown:

Assassin89
2008-12-16, 09:31 PM
Thog and the Linear guild will show up, but the Giant is the one who decides when it will happen.

Captain Six
2008-12-16, 10:42 PM
I go through the archives once and a while so I don't miss anyone that much. As for the sub-topic I tend to gloss-over/ignore imagery in books to make up my own, focusing my attention on actions and dialogue. I got halfway through Fellowship before realizing I hadn't read a damn thing and put it away. It's probably why I read more comics than books.

Ramidel
2008-12-16, 11:38 PM
I'd rather see the Order of the Stick get back together, Roy get True Resurrected, Belkster get off the crack awesome high, before we worry about the villain storylines and the chess games between Redcloak and Nale (and the Return of Dark Miko).

Hardcore
2008-12-17, 09:23 AM
I miss :thog: too. The Linear guild less so but I wish to congratulate Rich for creating such successful villains for OOTS. (But then ALL the evil guys in OOTS rock)

Btw. the books show their age and so does, in another sense, the movies :smallyuk::yuk:

AceofDeath
2008-12-17, 10:37 AM
Yeah Thog is a funny character but, just has other people allready hav said, i rather see the team back togheter before more side stories.
But Thog is Great, i ones played Gurps with some friends and one of them, who by the way never have heard about Oots, was playing this really dumb and funny Half-orc who had a axe and a pig and lived behind a tavern with the pigs. To me he was just the perferct person to play a character like Roy, and i always figure Thog sounds like him.

:thog: Go Thog go!

Shatteredtower
2008-12-17, 12:16 PM
Thog and the Linear guild will show up, but the Giant is the one who decides when it will happen.

Sometimes, I suspect even he doesn't get to decide. It's curious how many times both personal matters and story needs have forced the postponement of certain events.

Much as I enjoy their antics, I'm kind of hoping the Giant won't ever cut to the Linear Guild before they're encountered by our heroes. It gives events more of that "Dun dun dun!" feeling I enjoy. I wouldn't mind a handful of background filling strips after the reveal, though.

Optimystik
2008-12-17, 03:32 PM

Not to derail the thread from Thog-dom, but I disagree. I read the books LONG before the movie was made and there was too much that didn't make sense. If Tom Bombadil was so powerful, why didn't he help out in any of the battles? If Treebeard knew that Saruman was cutting down trees (as he did in the book, but not the movie until Pippin and Merry showed him), why didn't he do anything about it before? The elves also didn't help out at Helm's Deep in the book, continuing their age-old tradition of utter ineffectiveness. I also liked Theoden's possession and subsequent exorcism in the movie better than his simply being "convinced" by Wormtongue that Gandalf was evil.

The LotR movies were Adaptation Distillation at its finest.

Kagehime
2008-12-17, 05:21 PM
Not to derail the thread from Thog-dom, but I disagree. I read the books LONG before the movie was made and there was too much that didn't make sense. If Tom Bombadil was so powerful, why didn't he help out in any of the battles? If Treebeard knew that Saruman was cutting down trees (as he did in the book, but not the movie until Pippin and Merry showed him), why didn't he do anything about it before? The elves also didn't help out at Helm's Deep in the book, continuing their age-old tradition of utter ineffectiveness. I also liked Theoden's possession and subsequent exorcism in the movie better than his simply being "convinced" by Wormtongue that Gandalf was evil.

The LotR movies were Adaptation Distillation at its finest.

1. Some say that Tom is meant to represent the reader, as well as his wife Goldberry, and thus his only function is to set up a mental base from which the reader can identify--not the Shire, as that's being scoured at the moment. Storywise, Tom will continue to exist after everything else is gone, so he doesn't give a rat's --- about the battles.
2. Treebeard was locked in filibuster with the other Ents, and remember that Ents can take days to speak a single sentence.
3. Ineffective nothing. Where were you at the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, or at the end of the First Age when they beat Melkor?

Evil DM Mark3
2008-12-17, 05:40 PM
thog is thankful for high AC. all these people miss thog.

littlequietguy
2008-12-21, 02:32 AM
I actually wouldn't mind another storyline featuring the villains again. Both Xykon and Co. and the Linear Guild should get some screen time. I would prefer if this came after Roy's resurrection and the Order's reunion though.

I believe nale will appear when we least expect it. His last appearence had strips leading up to it.

krossbow
2008-12-21, 02:47 AM
I do miss thog.

I almost expect him to come rushing on screen at any time in a leprachaun suit, joyfully dismembering all in his path.

Ah, the childlike joy.

Adderfield
2008-12-21, 12:32 PM
Of all my favorite strips in this comic's archive, a large number of those are the ones where Thog has the punchline. Take that as you will.

:smallwink: Thog not sharpest axe in armory, but Thog have good comedic timing.

OOTS_Supporter
2008-12-21, 01:25 PM
:thog::thog::thog::thog::thog:

He is the best half-orc of them all. Actually, he is tied with Therkla.

So sad.

But Thog was awesome.

Let's bring the Linear Guild back!

:nale::sabine::thog:

The Bookworm
2008-12-29, 09:20 AM
Yes, the Linear Guild hasn't showed up since 458, about a year ago.
We want a cutaway!

Feefers
2008-12-30, 09:17 AM
I would like to echo my missing of Thog.

I also miss the demon roaches.

David Argall
2008-12-30, 06:59 PM
Yes, the Linear Guild hasn't showed up since 458, about a year ago.
We want a cutaway!

It's a definite possibility. LG should figure heavily in the next book, and so a little foreshadowing could easily happen, and LG has been in every book so far.

Berserk Monk
2009-01-03, 07:42 PM
Don't worry. During the several months in the comic they've been gone, Thog's been in an ice cream parlor.

Anyway, I'd rather see the order meet up again or at least get Roy's corpse back before we see the Linear Guild.

Optimystik
2009-01-03, 08:19 PM
1. Some say that Tom is meant to represent the reader, as well as his wife Goldberry, and thus his only function is to set up a mental base from which the reader can identify--not the Shire, as that's being scoured at the moment. Storywise, Tom will continue to exist after everything else is gone, so he doesn't give a rat's --- about the battles.
2. Treebeard was locked in filibuster with the other Ents, and remember that Ents can take days to speak a single sentence.
3. Ineffective nothing. Where were you at the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, or at the end of the First Age when they beat Melkor?

I'm supposed to identify with an omnipotent forest sprite? :smalltongue: Well, at least the Ent-explanation made sense.

As for the elves, sure they did great stuff back in the day, but clearly they didn't do their job well enough if existence found itself once more on the brink from effectively the same villain. Though I suppose it can be hard to truly stop a villain that can infuse every atom of reality with a portion of his essence.

Dudde
2009-01-04, 11:21 AM
:thog: Thog helped!

I love Thog. Looking forward to seeing him again.

/Dudde

CrimsonAngel
2009-01-04, 11:36 AM
:thog:: thog improvise!

I miss yah green buddy!

SilentDungeon
2009-01-04, 09:02 PM
.....No more leprchaun?

*swings*
Still misses thog.

<:(

Harperfan7
2009-01-05, 06:32 AM
Come on, People!

"I" miss Thog?

"Me" miss Thog!

Puppeteer
2009-01-05, 06:35 AM

I did, the Two Towers and the Return of the King (book of course) were way better than the first one.
If I think back about Tom Bombadil, shivers of pure terror pass through my spine.

Cracklord
2009-01-05, 06:41 AM
I have a theory about thog, that no one seems to agree with. I figured this would be the place to post it. Roy's evil opposite is set to change. I believe it will be changed to Yor, and thog will lose his place. There shall be redemption for thog, and he will join the order.

:thog: nale got lost, but not-nale let thog be with his frends while we look for nale. thog like not-not-nale, he let thog break stuff and eat little ice cream friends. he not let thog have puppy though.

Taekwondodo
2009-01-05, 07:45 AM
I didn't realise I missed him till I saw this thread. Bring back Thog and the linear guild!!!

(would also mean the order was back together so good:smallbiggrin:)

The Neoclassic
2009-01-07, 05:13 PM
On :thog: : he's fun, but we're getting a lot of :belkar: at the moment, so I'm quite happy. We'll see the big green oaf again sooner or later. For now, I'd rather bask in the awesome that is our Sexy Shoeless God of War. Who knows how much longer he has to live, after all...

I love Belkar too, though no character makes me laugh as hard as Thog does. He's just too amazing. Also, if Belkar does kick the bucket (for good, unlike Roy), I would die happy with Thog replaced him. Unfortunately, that seems highly unlikely (and I suppose :thog: would get old a bit quickly, as much as I hate to admit it).

:thog: thog come back now? :thog:

Dilvish
2009-01-07, 08:38 PM
Thog, Elan, and Belkar as the new Three Stooges. I think it could work.

Or Elan and Thog could get their own sidecomic.

I lift a glass of diet cranberry ginger ale in salute to Thog.

dilvish

Assassin89
2009-01-07, 09:07 PM
I hit Thog for 1d8 damage.

I do not miss specific characters, especially in an extended absence, because either said characters will make a reappearance, have no major impact on the story or some other condition.

Kastanok
2009-01-08, 07:41 AM
:thog: oh, little halfling fiend! kast delays thog-deprivation rampage only for you!

There is nothing that can't be improved by adding more Orc (or half-orc if your cupboards are a little bare).

Cubey
2009-01-08, 08:04 AM
I do not miss Thog. Too much of a flat character. He's good for only the following:
1. Killing stuff.
2. Acting childishly.
3. Both of the above at the same time.

And these get old very fast, if they were amusing in the first place. He also has an annoying tendency to create fandoms of people who believe he's not Evil, because he acts in an affable way. Despite, you know, killing people for no reason and stuff.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-08, 07:36 PM
I do not miss Thog. Too much of a flat character. He's good for only the following:
1. Killing stuff.
2. Acting childishly.
3. Both of the above at the same time.

And these get old very fast, if they were amusing in the first place. He also has an annoying tendency to create fandoms of people who believe he's not Evil, because he acts in an affable way. Despite, you know, killing people for no reason and stuff.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Who said we love him because he's not evil? Yeah, I wish he was CN. But he's not. He's CE. It would not be sensible to argue that, and I have yet to see anyone do it. I mean, denying his evilness because he's amusing would mean we'd have people arguing about Xykon's alignment! I find Xykon absolutely hilarious a lot of the time, but that in no way affects that he is supremely evil.

Also, so what if the humor with Thog is immature (as you seem to be suggesting). I usually am not amused by slapstick, but the sheer randomness (yes, I know it isn't really random) and enthusiasm which seems to accompany Thog always brightens my day. The webcomic panel that has made me laugh hysterically, out loud, more than any other is the one where Thog crashes through the window in his leprechaun (sp?) suit. It's not just becauase of him; the build up to it is what makes his entrance so fantastic.

I like variety in my humor. Thog is one facet of humor(ousness) which I very much enjoy. Too much of him would get old, I am sure, but I still love him and do want to see him again.

To each, their own. I can see your dislike, but I can also hold an entirely different view. That is, that :thog: is still my favorite.

Cubey
2009-01-09, 06:59 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Who said we love him because he's not evil? Yeah, I wish he was CN. But he's not. He's CE. It would not be sensible to argue that, and I have yet to see anyone do it. I mean, denying his evilness because he's amusing would mean we'd have people arguing about Xykon's alignment! I find Xykon absolutely hilarious a lot of the time, but that in no way affects that he is supremely evil.
No, I'm not saying you believe Thog is not evil. Nor anyone on this thread - I think, I didn't doublecheck. But that doesn't mean it did not ever happen. I recall long threads of people arguing that he's CN, if not Good.

I like variety in my humor. Thog is one facet of humor(ousness) which I very much enjoy. Too much of him would get old, I am sure, but I still love him and do want to see him again.

Yes, and it's also what I said. Too much Thog is never funny. Small quantities of him may or may not be funny.

FoE
2009-01-09, 07:03 AM
I do recall some threads to that effect. I think people didn't want to equate Thog with being Evil due to his childlike nature.

However, the debate over Thog=Evil was relatively small compared to Belkar=Not Evil.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-09, 11:01 AM
No, I'm not saying you believe Thog is not evil. Nor anyone on this thread - I think, I didn't doublecheck. But that doesn't mean it did not ever happen. I recall long threads of people arguing that he's CN, if not Good.

Yes, and it's also what I said. Too much Thog is never funny. Small quantities of him may or may not be funny.

Excellent, than for the most part (other than how much we love :thog: or not), we agree. Forgive me if I got a little overenthusiastic in my response. :smallsmile:

Vectner
2009-01-09, 12:16 PM
I miss :thog: too. They Linear guild has been gone for a very long time, but i know they will return. Probably at the end of this story arc we will flash to them at Girad's Gate.

Kish
2009-01-09, 01:06 PM
Roy's evil opposite is set to change.
Why would Roy's evil opposite change?

Fredthefighter
2009-01-09, 01:19 PM
Possibly because of a Headband of Intellect or spending a few stat points in Intelligence.