PDA

View Full Version : Emperor Gargoyle 3.5e (new monster)

magic_unlocked
2008-12-15, 07:43 AM
Emperor Gargoyle

Huge Outsider (Chaotic, Earth, Evil)
Hit Dice: 24d8 +552 (744)
Initiative: +16
Speed: 60 feet, fly 80ft (average)
Armor Class: 46 (+22 natural, +16 Dex, -2 size), touch: 24, Flat Footed: 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +22/+48
Attack: Claw +40 melee (2d6 +17, 19/x2)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +40/+35/+30/+25 melee (2d6 +17, 19/x2), and bite +38/+33/+28/+23 melee (4d6+17, 20/x2) and gore +38/+33/+28/+23 melee (2d10+17, 20/x2)
Special Attacks: Overwhelming Smash
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 15/Epic, cold iron and good, darkvision 180ft, freeze, hardness 10, regeneration 25, spell resistance 30
Saves: fort +36/ reflex +30 / will +25
Abilities: Str 45, Dex 42, Con 54, Int 18, Wis 33, Cha 21
Skills: 288 total skill points. +6 racial bonus on hide, listen and spot checks. +8 bonus to hide checks when against a background of stone (this stacks).
Feats: Awesome Blow, Dodge (B), Improved Critical (Claws) (B), Improved Bull Rush, Improved Flyby Attack, Improved Multiattack, Improved Natural Attack, Improved Toughness, Mobility (B), Power Attack, Multiattack.
Epic Feats: Perfect Multiattack*, Epic Prowess
* Perfect Multiattack works exactly like Perfect Two Weapon Fighting, except it applies on each of the creature’s natural attacks.
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or horde (1 Emperor Gargoyle and 100 gargoyles)
Challenge Rating: Pending
Treasure: Standard + double goods
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 25—40 HD (Huge); 41—55 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjust: —

An Emperor Gargoyle’s natural weapons are treated as Chaotic, Epic and Evil magic weapons for the purposes of penetrating damage reduction.

Overwhelming Smash (Su): The Emperor Gargoyle uses a full round action to use this ability. It slams its massive fist onto a creature or object, at its highest base attack bonus, +40, and deals 20d6 +25 damage. In addition to this effect, it must make a fortitude save DC 39, or take double damage and be stunned for 1 round. A successful save results in normal damage and the creature being dazed for 1 round.

Freeze (Ex): An Emperor Gargoyle can hold itself so still that an observer must make a DC 60 spot check to see if it is really alive.

So, i made this thing because my players wanted me to make an Epic-level game. I'm in the planning stages and made this BBEG. So... what does the playground say about his CR? o_O

Edit: Fixed the name of the Thread and reduced DR to 15. Changed the name from megaton punch to overwhelming smash.

Debihuman
2008-12-15, 11:25 AM
Epic Gargoyle...interesting. How many arms does this thing have to get 8 claw attacks? Also, monsters do not get additional attacks based on their base attack like Player Characters do. It gets 8 claws + 40 melee (2d6 +17, 19/2) for its full attack.

DR 30/epic is a bit too much for the number of hit dice this creature has. You should probably scale it back to 15. Look at other epic creatures with similar hit dice for examples.

If you give it +30 to 9 of its skills, you can maximize its skills. This gives it skills with 9 skills at +30 (adjusted of course for abilities and racial bonuses) and an additional 18 points to go into another skill.

Debby

DracoDei
2008-12-15, 11:51 AM
All it needs is a pair of feats from Draconomicon to get that attack routine.

Name is misspelled I think should be "Emperor", I believe.

Nothing about the length of this necessitates spoiling.

magic_unlocked
2008-12-16, 05:55 PM
What feats?

DracoDei
2008-12-16, 06:40 PM
Ok, technically it shouldn't apply to Outsiders it looks like... but that can be overlooked, especially for an Epic creature.

Rapidstrike gives a second attack with one of the paired natural weapons.

Improved Rapidstrike gives up to three MORE attacks, each at -5 from the previous...

Ok, so on second look maybe it isn't quite the same thing.... just make it a special ability and call it good I say...

Innis Cabal
2008-12-16, 06:40 PM
DR 30/epic is a bit too much for the number of hit dice this creature has. You should probably scale it back to 15. Look at other epic creatures with similar hit dice for examples.

Show me one balanced Epic level creature outside of MM's. The others are few and far between.

Lappy9000
2008-12-16, 06:43 PM
Ok, technically it shouldn't apply to Outsiders it looks like... but that can be overlooked, especially for an Epic creature.
It's true. Once you reach Epic levels, the rules no longer matter :smalltongue:

I like the gargoyle, but he's almost too huge for me to find myself using him. Guess that's the other problem with Epic monsters....

Just curious, why is the Emperor Gargoyle an Outsider? The gargoyles from the Monster Manual are Monstrous Humanoids.

EDIT: HA! Epic Ninja'd :smallbiggrin:

magic_unlocked
2008-12-16, 08:58 PM
It's Epic. Does type/subtype really matter at that point?

DracoDei
2008-12-17, 06:01 AM
Given that rangers and bane weapons are still around, technically yes... buit I think that was not the sense in which you meant it.

magic_unlocked
2008-12-18, 12:39 AM
Indeed. But, Epic monsters are hard to make, mostly because, the rules at that point have broken down into cheesy mush.

Lappy9000
2008-12-18, 01:24 PM
Indeed. But, Epic monsters are hard to make, mostly because, the rules at that point have broken down into cheesy mush.

Delicious cheesy mush. I see your point, though. Epic adventurers are much more likely to encounter a gigantic gargoyle outsider than one who just chills inexpicably outside town.

magic_unlocked
2008-12-18, 04:55 PM
Very good cheese. Maybe we can turn all this cheese to cheesy sticks? o_O