PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Create a Solar racial progression Class.

Kizara
2008-12-15, 01:36 PM
As the title says, I am in need of a racial progression class for a solar for my next campaign.

Backstory:

The fluff is that the character was a solar in service of Hieronious who was overly prideful, zealous, spirited and often troublesome to the ruling council. She had a childhood friend who was an astral deva. Said deva at one point voluntarily underwent an Atonement to become LE as a heroic sacrifice in order to save the lives of many captured paladins. Regardless, she still fell from grace and commited many atrocities under her new alignment.

My character managed to win her back by virtue of her bravery and previous close friendship, and in bringing her to face the council of archons had to try to convince them to allow her to repent and be allowed back into their ranks.
She managed to convince them, but at a price: She was given a quest on the mortal realm, stripped of her power and forced to atone for her friend's misdeeds by doing good in said realm (it also serves to teach him some humilty, something desperately needed). If she succeeds and rises again to her former status, she can reclaim her place with more power then ever.

So, the class, some stipulations:

-22 level progression, in keeping with its HD.
-Ignore LA. Only concern yourself with the Racial HD. This isn't supposed to be balanced with a normal character, its a special thing for this campaign only.
-I want functional wings before level 8, at most. Preferably much sooner.
-The clerical casting can simply be +1CL/level, which would give level 22 casting at 22 HD, but that's fine.
-All abilities, ability score modifers, nat armor, etc must be included.
-Don't concern yourself with the skill points, as she will be re-learning them for the most part (knowledges being the exception). I'm not sure about the feats ethier, so include them in the progression if possible.
-Try to give a natural, logical progression of gaining abilities that simulates regaining her former glory.

If it matters, it will be a gestalt character with 1WA's Rebalanced Paladin on the other side.

Also, her friend may be joining her if I know my DM, so a astral deva class would be useful as well (again, no LA).

Finally, if anyone wants to give me character build ideas they are welcome to, but such is not the main purpose of this thread.

Also, I really need some good name ideas. Right now I have in my mind "Celeste" for her name and "Angela" for her friend's, but I shouldn't have to explain to you how incredibly lame those names are for these characters. Celeste the Celestial and Angela the Angel? Zzzz.... help please.

Solaris
2008-12-15, 01:41 PM
As I understand, one of my players-to-be (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99251) is already at work on an astral deva progression with minimal LA. I'll see about throwing him/it your way once he's done (should be about tomorrow).

Kizara
2008-12-15, 02:12 PM
As I understand, one of my players-to-be (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99251) is already at work on an astral deva progression with minimal LA. I'll see about throwing him/it your way once he's done (should be about tomorrow).

Awesome, at least that's something. Thanks.

insecure
2008-12-15, 04:57 PM
For names, if you want a name sounding slightly like celestial, might I suggest...

Celinda
Celen
Lestian
Kelial
Teslesti

... and so on. Just add a lot of 'E's, and it should do the rest itself.

Glooble Glistencrist
2008-12-16, 02:46 PM
the project sounds interesting, and I do have a fair amount of free time this week. When do you need it by?

By the way, did you know there's already an Astral Deva progression in Savage Species?

Edit: just looked at the Solar more closely: there's gonna be no way to balance this with other classes. Not even going to try. Just so we're clear on that.

Edit: Pretty much done now, I'll post it tonight.

Glooble Glistencrist
2008-12-16, 08:13 PM
Okay. Here it is. Early levels are balanced against the Astral Deve progression in Savage Species, the rest I pretty much played by ear. Hope this is what you wanted. If not, make whatever changes you will.

The Solar
hit die: d8

{table=head]Level|
BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Natural Armor|Ability scores|Special Qualities
1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|
+0|
Cha +2, Int+2| Good Subtype, Low-light vision, Feat
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|
Wis +2| Resistances (acid 5, cold 5)
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+2|
Str. +2| Immunity (petrification), Tongues, Spellcasting, Feat
4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+3|
Dex +2| Wings (Fly 30 ft, Average Maneuverability) Darkvision 20 ft.
5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|
Cha +2, Int +2| Speed +10 ft., Lesser Solar Powers, 1/day
6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+5|
Wis +2, Con +2| DR 5 / epic or evil, Protective Aura (Magic circle against evil, Radius 5 ft.), Feat
7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+6|
Str +2| Fly 50 ft, Lesser Solar powers 3/day
8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+7|
Dex +2| Resistances (acid 10, cold 10) Darkvision 40ft.
9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+8|
Cha +2, Int +2| Protective Aura (Radius 10 ft.), Feat
10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+7|
+9|
Wis +2 | Fly 80 ft., Speed +10 ft., Solar Powers 1/day
11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+7|
+10|
Con +2| Resistances (electricity 5, fire 5)
12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+8|
+11|
Str +2| DR 10/ epic or evil, Darkvision 60 ft., Protective Aura (+4 bonus), Feat, Lesser Solar Powers at will / continuously active
13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+8|
+12|
Cha +2, Int +2| Fly (Good maneuverability), Regeneration 5, Extraplanar subtype
14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+9|
+13|
Wis +2, Dex +2| Resistances (acid 15, cold 15), Solar Powers 3/day
15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+9|
+14|
Con +2, | Protective Aura (Radius 15 ft., Lesser Globe of Invulnerability), SR 18, Feat
16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+10|
+15|
Str +2, | Fly 100 ft., SR 2, Greater Solar Powers 1/day
17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+10|
+16|
Cha +2, Int+ 2| Resistances (electricity 10, fire 10), Regeneration 10, SR 22, Solar Powers at will
18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+11|
+17|
Wis +3| Large size, Reach 10 ft., DR 15/ epic or evil, SR 24, Feat
19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+11|
+18|
Con +2, Dex +2| Fly 120 ft., SR 26, Greater Solar powers 1/day or 3/day
20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+12|
+19|
Str +2| Immunity (acid and cold) Protective Aura (Radius 20 ft.), SR 28, Angel subtype
21st|
+21/+16/+11/+6|
+12|
+12|
+12|
+20|
Cha +2, Int+ 2| SR 30, Feat, Greater Solar Powers 1/day or at will/continuously active
22nd|
+22/+17/+12/+7|
+13|
+13|
+13|
+21|
Wis +3, Con +2, Dex +2| Fly 150 ft., Dr 15/ epic and evil, Regeneration 15, SR 32, Outsider type
[/table]

Lesser Solar Powers:
Beginning at 5th level, a Solar can use the following spell-like abilities once per day: aid, continual flame, detect evil, detect snares and pits, dispel magic, invisibility, lesser restoration, remove curse, remove disease, remove fear, resist energy, see invisibility and speak with dead. At seventh level, these abilities are usable 3 times per day. At twelfth level, all these abilities are usable at will except for detect evil, detect snares and pits, and see invisibility, which are continuously active.

Solar Powers:
Starting at 10th level, the Solar can use the following spell-like abilities once per day: commune, discern lies, dimensional anchor, holy smite, permanency, polymorph, and waves of fatigue. At fourteenth level, these abilities can be used three times per day. At seventeenth level, all of these powers can be used at will except for permanency.

Greater Solar Powers:
Beginning at level 16, a Solar can use the following spell-like abilities once per day: animate objects, blade barrier, earthquake, greater restoration, heal, greater dispel magic, imprisonment, mass charm monster, power word blind, power word stun, power word kill, prismatic spray, resurrection, summon monster VII, true seeing, waves of exhaustion, and wish. At nineteenth level, animate objects, blade barrier, earthquake, greater dispel magic, heal, imprisonment, mass charm monster, resurrection, summon monster VII, true seeing and waves of exhaustion can be used three times per day. At level 21, animate objects, greater dispel magic, and imprisonment can be used at will. True seeing becomes continually active.

Solaris
2008-12-17, 09:29 AM
the project sounds interesting, and I do have a fair amount of free time this week. When do you need it by?

By the way, did you know there's already an Astral Deva progression in Savage Species?

Edit: just looked at the Solar more closely: there's gonna be no way to balance this with other classes. Not even going to try. Just so we're clear on that.

Edit: Pretty much done now, I'll post it tonight.
Yes, but WotC hates on monster races like you wouldn't believe. I trust Savage Species as far as... no, scratch that, I can throw the book pretty far. But you get the picture.

jacob.swadron
2008-12-17, 09:47 AM
For names, if you want a name sounding slightly like celestial, might I suggest...

Celinda
Celen
Lestian
Kelial
Teslesti

... and so on. Just add a lot of 'E's, and it should do the rest itself.

Caelum=Latin word for sky/heaven. Hence you get these names. The only strange one is the last that seems to be labled after the famous scientist, tesla.

As for the "e" sound, it is actualy an I with a macrom, which would come from "caelī" which is the plural form of caelum. Oddly enough, adding this ī to the end of a word makes it masculin and plural... hardly the definition for angelic:smallsigh:

I like nomenclature...

Athaniar
2008-12-17, 11:36 AM
Other good suggestions for names might be to take the name of a Bibilical angel or order of angles and tweak it a bit.

jacob.swadron
2008-12-17, 05:04 PM
Another way to find the names is to apply common phonetic sounds of ancient languages, in such a way that like in hebrew, b is often switched with v, which is even more true with the translation. This is because when things like the bible where traslated (mainly names), V sounds would become B sounds, because there was no V sound in latin, and the V character was a W sound.

So gabriel would be gavriel.

And then theres also the addition of extra a's so that bal would be baal. This is because many ancient languages such as the pheonician language was created with no vowels so that hll would read hello, and you'd be assumed to know where to insert the vowels. Later a vowel system was be created so that each letter could have a vowel attached to it in writing. This created a need to created a silent letter to add an extra vowel to, so that it could represent an extra vowel for a vowel blend such as "ia" as in "mitochondria". This ended with what we'd consider weird blends such as the "aa" in words like baal (means lord).