PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge is best collected at nighttime [PrC, APRICOT]

insecure
2008-12-15, 02:59 PM
Stargazer Sage

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs7/i/2005/246/3/8/Night_Sky_by_InuGirlTeen.jpg

"The soul, bound by mortals, is able to see, what we cannot comprehend. Darkened by the shadows of doubt, only achieving clearance when we look outward, when we untie the shackles of sinew through flesh, we shall find true visions of memories untold. Lighting our minds through moments of reality, diffusions of forgotten truths, unraveling the stories of the past with the sky's grace, is the might of the sky at night.
Join us, free yourself from mortal coils, and perceive true wonders."

-Teserian, Diviner of the guild "Unraveled wonders"

Watching the movement of the stars, envisioning past tales by the power of the moon, defines the Stargazer Sage. Often living secluded or in sects, they believe in the unmatched might of the signs sent by the sky. Known for their nightly inspections, they are a cult of diviners extraordinaire, and some even reaches a point where they can align themselves with the stars, gracefully soaring through the night cloaking themselves in the moon's embrace. Inquired by others for their insight into past happenings, present deeds, and future events, the Stargazer Sages follows how the time flows and shapes, seen through the lens of the night.

Requirements
Feats: Spell focus (Divination), Alertness
Caster level: 5th
Spells: At least two divination spells, of which one of them must be of third level or higher
Skills: Knowledge (Nature) +4, Knowledge (Arcana) +8

Class skills (2 + int modifier): Concentration, Decipher Script, Knowledge (All), Listen, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival

Hit Dice: d4

The Stargazer Sage
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Sky's wonders|--

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|No possibilities denied|+1 level of any spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Future watchings|+1 level of any spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|--|+1 level of any spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Join the stars|+1 level of any spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Timeflow unraveled|--

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Hindsight|+1 level of any spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|---|+1 level of any spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Moonlight vision|+1 level of any spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Into the night|+1 level of any spellcasting class[/table]

Class features:

Weapon Proficiencies: You gain no proficiencies with any weapons or armor.

Sky's wonders (Su): Steadily unlocking secrets from the sky, you expand upon your immense heap of facts, experiences, and knowledge.
At each level, choose an insight from the list below. You gain the ability described.

{table=head]Insight|Gain|Times able to be taken
Night's blessing|60 ft. Low-light vision|1
Tongue's treasure|Bonus language|Unlimited
Unveiled lore|+2 insight bonus to a Knowledge check|Unlimited
Untangled sorcery|Bonus 1st level spell|3
Clear thoughts1|2 skill ranks in any skill|5
Star's favor|+2 insight bonus to one save|3
Diviner's grace|+1 insight bonus to DC on divinations|1
Unnatural senses|+1 insight bonus to Wis-based checks|1
Moon's resolve|+1 bonus on saves vs divinations|1[/table]
1: This insight can't raise your ranks in a particular skill above the maximum

No possibilities denied (Su): Every single, little opportunity for adding to your experiences and improving on yourself won't go unnoticed past you.
At second level, you gain the ability to re-roll a single roll once per day. You must declare that you are going to re-roll before you know the outcome of the action, and you have to use the re roll in place of the original roll, no matter which one was best.

Future watchings (Sp): You are always prepared, letting thoughts go before action and gathering knowledge before deciding, making it second nature for you to research at each opportunity you have got.
At third level, this develops into something supernatural, making divinations almost a part of you. You gain the spell-like ability to cast Augury once per day.

Join the stars (Su):
"Be free and let your thoughts stride among the stars. There you will find the silence needed for your studies."
-Teserian

At the time you reach fifth level, you have spend so much time on watching and analyzing stars, almost to the point of sharing your feelings with them. You gain a fly speed of 30 ft. and (Perfect) maneuverability, but you don't grow wings or gain any physical sign on your new ability.

Timeflow unraveled (Su): You can comprehend even the most intricate secrets and have studied the smallest details through time. This time, instead of studying, you can recall the knowledge already gathered.
Three times per day, you may as a standard action gain a +5 competence bonus on your next skill check, attack roll, damage roll, or ability check. In addition, you also gain a +2 competence bonus to all Knowledge checks.

Hindsight (Sp): The stars have watched everything since the creation of the world. Drawing on this power, you can unlock secrets from times past.
At the time you reach seventh level, you gain Legend lore as a spell-like ability, usable once per day.

Moonlight vision (Su): The moon has blessed you, giving clarity to your sight and letting your gaze perceive everything, as the moon's light shines upon all and illuminates the hidden lore.
At ninth level, you are considered under the effects of True seeing constantly. As long as you are outside and the moon shines, you may also add the effects of Arcane sight.

Into the night (Su):
"Do you feel it? Give in, and let your eyes see further, your hearing catch the slightest sound. Take a step forward, join the blackness, feel the starlight's embrace, take upon the cape of moonlight. Let your senses perceive the greatest things while you remain veiled by... the night."-Teserian

Add tenth level, you reach the pinnacle of your abilities as a Stargazer Sage. Once per day, you may enter a stance as a standard action, where you gain the incorporeal subtype. In addition, while you are in this stance, your caster level increases by +4 for all divination spells you cast. This stance lasts for ten minutes.

--------------

Note: I've got this feeling that this class is horribly overpowered, so please criticize the hell out of it.

insecure
2008-12-19, 06:56 PM
No love for the Stargazer Sage? Awww...:smalltongue:

ZeroNumerous
2008-12-19, 09:46 PM
Wait. You can get 2 ranks in a skill? So if you took this to get 24 ranks in, say.. Know(Arcana) you can get Epic Spellcasting. If this isn't an Epic PrC, then that should be fixed.

Project Icarus
2008-12-19, 10:28 PM
I like this idea. It's very well done and original. I think it's fairly well-balanced. Some of the abilities could be considered overpowered in some cases, but the class revolves around divinations, so the abilities become balanced out.
Unless the skill bonuses let you go over your maximum, I don't see a problem with them. But then again, I don't use or even know the epic rules, so that kind of screws over anything I say on the subject, huh? I could see someone taking the bonus to saves over and over for one save to make them really good at that particular save, but they're giving up other abilities for it, so once again I don't see much of a problem.
The abilities make it more of a class for adventures based on getting information, and less on fighting. And most the abilities are divination spells a wizard could prepare anyway. The only real advantage is that a Stargazer doesn't have to prepare the spells, which isn't much. If anything, it's a little underpowered! (But just a little!)

Like I said at the beginning, I like the idea.

Draken
2008-12-20, 12:30 PM
It is interesting. And yea, it doesn't seen overpowered.

Nitpick: Insight Bonuses do not stack. So Moon's Resolve is absolutely pointless if the character took Star's favor for Will. The fact that Insight Bonuses do not stack also means Star's favor has a hidden limit of only three takings because you can only take it once for each save, any others are redundant.

Also. I wonder where Zero got the idea that Clear Thoughts could allow this prestige class to take Epic Spellcasting before... Well, epic, at which point it makes no difference anyway. Dragonwrough Kobold Cheese? It's not like there isn't much worse cheese out there without homebrewed stuff.

Besides, if it does not say it can go past the level limit, well, main rule trumps no rule.

insecure
2008-12-21, 05:12 PM
Fixed the Insight problems: Clear thoughts can't exceed your maximum skill ranks, Star's favor can only be taken three times, and Moon's resolve now grants an untyped bonus.