PDA

View Full Version : Shadow/Dark element damage. How would that feel?

Stormthorn
2008-12-15, 07:30 PM
What would it be like to take shadow or dark damage in one of those games with a wide array of possibly elements?

How would it feel?
What sort of physiological and psychological effects would it have?

SurlySeraph
2008-12-15, 07:33 PM
It'd probably make you feel tired and empty, like part of you was missing.
Physiologically, maybe a sudden drop in ATP production in all cells.
Psychologically, afraid and uncertain.

Stormthorn
2008-12-15, 08:09 PM
It'd probably make you feel tired and empty, like part of you was missing.
Physiologically, maybe a sudden drop in ATP production in all cells.
Psychologically, afraid and uncertain.

That makes sense but also makes me wonder how a Shadowbolt from WoW could instantly kill anything.

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-15, 08:25 PM
That makes sense but also makes me wonder how a Shadowbolt from WoW could instantly kill anything.

is this bitterness I'am senseing?

Stormthorn
2008-12-15, 09:49 PM
is this bitterness I'am senseing?

No im working on a system. I came up with an idea for Light or Holy or Good or Divine (whatever you want to call it) type damage.

Now im stuck at shadow damage, described in my setting as a semi-liquid that rapidly expands across the target and then evaporates with what appears to be a black flame. Thing is, i already got flame itself covered for the type of damage, so while shadow resembles dark fire it has to do something else.

As a side note: When i played WoW, i prefered Warlock.

SurlySeraph
2008-12-16, 01:33 AM

Perhaps by shutting down all cellular activity instantly, causing breathing and circulation to cease. The person doesn't technically die for a few minutes, because brain damage from lack of oxygen doesn't set in until then, but with medieval-level medicine they'd be considered dead.

Breltar
2008-12-16, 09:25 AM
I always figured it was kind of a shadow that went inside the victim and kind of gave that 'deathly touch' of cold on the inside that can't really be described very well. The heart would slowly stop functioning and the victim would 'slip into the shadow'.

Neo
2008-12-16, 10:01 AM
yeah, its usually like a dark energy or fluid that passes through the subject leeching away their life force.

Been animating all day so minds a bit fuzzy, but physically you'd feel drained, and your muscles would become hard to move and you'd feel cold.

Psychologically you'd probably feel dazed and find it hard to think, as your neural activity was diminished.

The shadowbolt probably is either focused on specific organs or it just stops everything dead.

sihnfahl
2008-12-16, 10:24 AM
You could make it akin to hypoxia and/or hypoglycemia. One or the other isn't a very comfortable feeling. Together, they're rather distressing.

Or a vasovagal episode.

Stormthorn
2008-12-16, 11:21 AM
I need it to be scaleable, like a burn. I could "spash" some on or hand or expose you whole body to it.

Oregano
2008-12-16, 11:35 AM
Describe it like cutting off the circulation, you hands/arms go purple and everything and the veins look black and pop out a bit. Then expand that?