PDA

View Full Version : The Caretakers of Levitos (race, 3.5)

starwoof
2008-12-15, 08:19 PM
The Caretakers

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/starwoof2/luminoth.jpg
A Luminoth from Metroid Prime 2:Echoes. They were a major inspiration
to the Shadish, among other aspects of the setting.

Levitos is a world split between light and darkness. Random portals between Light and Shadow Levitos open frequently, and unless they are closed, the balance will be shifted and one side will be destroyed. The Shadish remain constantly vigilant of the planar status, moving in to monitor, stabilize, and seal portals. Without the Shadish, the worlds would fall into anarchy and war.

Shadish Physiology and Outlook

Shadish are the guardians of Light Levitos. They are tall, wiry humanoids covered in thin chitin. They have large red eyes that are nevertheless very wise and kind. Shadish have two large hairy antenna growing from their foreheads. Their barrel chests are covered in soft hairs, and two small, non-functional wings grow from their back. Shadish have 3 digits on their hands and two on their feet.

Adult Shadish stand about 6 to 7 feet in height. When a Shadish is finished with his education (usually at around ten years) he is in the stage that most races would consider adulthood. Most leave the temple that they were raised in to further their studies abroad, learning as much as they can about the world they live in and their chosen professions.

All Shadish are expected to attempt to close portals to Shadow Levitos that open near them. If they are not capable of closing it themselves they will search for someone who can. The Shadish are supposed to be politically neutral, so in theory they can enter any city at will. Some places, like Artor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96402) and Dragonhammer Delve, are too dangerous for most Shadish younglings to enter. When a portal opens in these places, it is up to the locals to close... or a task force of elders may appear in the night...

When a Shadish reaches his 200th year, he returns to the temple of his birth and spins a chrysalis around himself. He will remain in hibernation for several weeks, growing and changing the whole time. He emerges as an Elder Shadish. His physical and mental abilities have now peaked. He can float through the air and generate force shields at will, among other things. The elders usually retire from adventuring, returning to the temples to meditate and discern the locations of active portals.

Shadish Temples

Shadish do not have lands of their own. The world is their home country. Shadish temples are scattered across the world, however, and these are the gathering places of the Shadish. Other races are always welcome inside the temples, which always have more food and beds than the resident's need. They never ask for material compensation for aid in the temples.

The Shadish do not have their own god. They do not see the need to worship deities, instead finding their own inner peace. Shadish rarely discourage other people's beliefs. Shadish clerics are not uncommon.

Shadish temples often contain hidden catacombs. A secret that the Shadish hide from the other races is that they sometimes maintain stable portals to Shadow Levitos, and other planes. These portals are for emergency use only, and the Shadish have very strict vows to not reveal the presence of these portals.

Shadish Alignment and Relations

Shadish get along with almost everyone. Some notable exceptions are the Dragonhammer Delve dwarves (who don't get along with anyone), the Drake-Kin, and the Illithids. The Shadish have particularly good relations with the Sentinels, but not the wizard-lords of Artor. Shadish are usually lawful in alignment, and most are good as well. There are many examples of non-lawful and neutral Shadish, but evil Shadish are very rare.

Playing a Shadish

These stats are for an Adult Shadish. The Elder Shadish template should be applied to this race to make a Shadish Elder.

Adult Shadish
+2 Wis, +2 dex, -2 str. Shadish are wise, but they are also very light.
40 ft move, 40 ft flight (perfect). Shadish are not capable of true flight, but they hover a few inches above the ground or other mostly flat surface, such as water.
Medium Size Monstrous Humanoid
Portal Sense - Shadish can always tell if there is a portal to another plane within 5 miles of their current location. They can discern the number of portals and their general directions.
+2 racial bonus to Knowledge (The Planes) checks. Luminoth always count Knowledge (The Planes) as a class skill and may make checks untrained.
+1 Racial Bonus to saving throws.
Conjure Light: Shadish can conjure an orb of light at will as a move action. It projects a pale golden light at the same brightness as a torch. This orb must remain within 2 feet of the Shadish that conjured it at all times.
Automatic Languages: Shadish, Common. Bonus Languages: Any.
Favored Class: Wizard or Psion.
Level Adjustment: +1

Elder Shadish

Elder Shadish is an aquired template that may be added to any Shadish that is at least 200 years old and has at least 12 hit dice.

Speed: The Shadish's ground speed remains the same, but it gains a true fly speed of 40 feet (perfect manueverability).
Armor Class: The Shadish gains +2 natural armor.
Special Qualities:
Spell Like Abilities: At will; Shield, Silent Image, Floating Disc. 3/day; See Invisibility, Scorching Ray, Nondetection. 1/day; Dimensional Anchor.
Sense Portal: Elder Shadish can pinpoint the exact number, location, and destination of any portals within 50 miles.
Abilities: +2 str, +2 con, +2 int, +2 wis.
Level Adjustment: +2

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been working on a new campaign setting, but I've been taking a new approach to it. instead of starting with a map and a list of goals I'm making races, classes, and regions as I think of them. I do have some overall ideas about the setting (I want to use incarnum, airships, and a light/dark world mechanic).

I've been playing a lot of metroid prime, so I decided to make the Luminoth into a playable race. I also decided to keep their light/dark world shtick from the game. I take a lot of ideas from videogames.

C+C appreciated! I left my manual of the planes at a friends house, so I can't access a bunch of portal mechanics, otherwise I'd post some of that stuff. I'm also looking for another ability or two for the Adult Shadish, because right now I don't really see them as being a very attractive race.

EDIT: I'm planning a prestige class called the Planar Warden that will focus on the Shadish and the portals.

Owrtho
2008-12-15, 08:37 PM
Just a thought, but as hovering would protect them from varios hazards, I'd suggest that you give them a fly speed with a max height of a few inches. But it's up to you. Also, do they know the location, direction, or number of portals to other planes, or just that there is one or more within 5 miles?

Owrtho

starwoof
2008-12-15, 08:49 PM
I gave them a fly speed and allowed them to hover over water and other liquids, and now I'm a little less concerned with giving them more abilities. :smalltongue: I also tightened up the wording on portal sense. Thanks for the criticism.

RS14
2008-12-15, 09:33 PM
I don't think I would allow the adult Shadish as a LA 0 race. My gut feeling is to give them LA +1 and +2 Dex, for example.

I can see using them in a game, though; they seem interesting.

SilentNight
2008-12-15, 11:08 PM
I agree, flight is not becoming of an LA +0 race. At the very least bump it to +1. Other than that, they look good.

starwoof
2008-12-16, 12:18 AM
Well the flight is very weak, but I gave them +2 dex and bumped them up to LA+1. Looks good to me! Next on my list is the Drake-Kin.