PDA

View Full Version : A Pantheon of Gods for my Homebrew Setting: Suggestions?

chronoplasm
2008-12-15, 11:40 PM
The Red Druids believe in three truths, one of which is
"For every three that are visible, there is a fourth that is hidden."

The civilized people of Runa believe in three trinities and a dragon god that unites them. The surest way to upset the three goddesses is to suggest the notion of a fourth.
Anyone who worships a goddess of winter is banished from the forests to the mountains.

The dwarves worship The Son who guards the southern stronghold, The Father who guards the western stronghold, and The Grandfather who guards the northern stronghold. The dwarves do not journey to the east, for it is a land of traitors.
Anyone who worships a god of the east is banished from the mountains to the forests.

The humans worship The King, The Queen, and The Knight. These three gods have protected the empire of Kire for centuries from an evil god named The Fool, but now a new threat is rising. The three once held the one in check, but a fifth has appeared to disrupt the balance; he is The Bastard.
The Bastard and The Clown are gods of the banished who have returned from the untamed mountains and forests to ursurp the civilized.

The dragon god unites the elven, dwarven, and human trinities together into a single pantheon to do battle against the gods of evil and savagery. He is haunted however, by three mysterious dark gods that have some kind of strange connection to him.

There are a total of seven noble gods of civilization here (3x3+1) who The noble gods do battle against the evil and savage gods. The prophecies say that the evil gods are gathering an army in the nine hells, but that this legion will not be sufficient to defeat the seven noble gods. What the prophecy does not mention is that the nine hells are actually sixteen.
The nine hells are divided into three groups of three, but for every three there is a secret fourth, and there is a fourth completely secret grouping of four, making a total of nine visible hells and seven secret hells for a total of sixteen (4x4).
The elite forces growing within the secret hells may prove the prophecies of heroic victory to be sadly unreliable.

OK, so... your thoughts?

Assassin89
2008-12-16, 12:11 AM
slight miscalculation on your part, because there are ten gods, but it could work.

chronoplasm
2008-12-16, 12:14 AM
Did I mention that, though I am fascinated numbers, I am incredibly bad at math?
:smalleek::smallredface:

Crabs Magee
2008-12-16, 12:29 AM
It may be easier to give feedback if you give us the relationships the different races have with each other? If each race worships some sort of trinitarian pantheon (which, in essence, are the exact same gods, correct?), and don't like the concept of a fourth god (embodied by a different region of the world?) then it makes sense that the races dislike each other?

Maybe I'm just really confused.

chronoplasm
2008-12-16, 12:41 AM
Sure thing.

The humans, elves, and dwarves consider themselves a noble trinity. They support each other in war and commerce and consider any other races outside of their trinity to be untrustworthy at best.