PDA

View Full Version : Cameos you would like to see

Assassin89
2008-12-15, 11:56 PM
Everyone remembers the crew from Final Fantasy VI, if I might assume this. This has given me the idea of thinking about characters in other media who could work in the OotS world.
As you list certain characters, please give a reason how they could work in the comic.

For example:
Gilgamesh from Final Fantasy
How he would function: wandering swordsman looking for a blade of legend. Believes Roy's sword to be one such weapon and challenges Roy in order to claim the Greenhilt. Or Gilgamesh challenges Elan for the rapier of Julio Scoundrel.

disclaimer: the Giant is not responsible for fulfilling any of these requests. Although I am not associated with the Giant in any way, I assume that he will not use any of the ideas in these threads. Anything in the comic that follows the ideas is purely coincidental.

EyethatBinds
2008-12-16, 12:38 AM
Betty Paige going to heaven the way Gary Gygaxz did, with a special reappearance by Gary Gygax.

Hydro Globus
2008-12-16, 12:41 AM
Minsc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minsc) claiming that Mr Scruffy is a miniature giant space cat.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-12-16, 12:03 PM
Rich did do some cameos in On the Origins 0f PCs...

Frodo and Gandalf
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Elric of Melniboné

And I think a few more, but I don't have my copy handy. Frudu and Samwose (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0415.html) make an appearance here, so I wouldn't be suprised to see a few more. And of course, don't forget Zz'dtri! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0044.html)

Theodoriph
2008-12-16, 06:43 PM
Honestly none. For the most part, cameos are lame. The humour derived from them is dated and fades over time and with multiple readings. Or to put it another way: They're just not that funny.

P.S. Frudu and Samwose was not a cameo. That scene was a parody LoTR, but did not fulfill the criteria for being a cameo.

As per Dictionary.com

Also called cameo role. a minor part played by a prominent performer in a single scene of a motion picture or a television play.

If we extend that to print media, the strip with Gary Gygax had a cameo appearance, as did the strip with the cast of FFVII (I've never played FFVII, so I don't know how accurate Rich was).

Frudu and Samwose is not a cameo, because it isn't Frodo and Samwise. They're different characters (for copyright reasons maybe? Though I thought parodying was ok under copyright). I think it's just a parody.

rayne_dragon
2008-12-16, 06:58 PM
If we extend that to print media, the strip with Gary Gygax had a cameo appearance, as did the strip with the cast of FFVII (I've never played FFVII, so I don't know how accurate Rich was).

I think you mean FF6. It was also pretty accurate, at least in terms of how they looked. They didn't act much, so I suspose one could make a case that they were a parody rather than a cameo.

Speaking of FFVII though, a cameo of them wouldn't be so bad... well, at least Vincent and Sephiroth. Rydia too, although that's FF4.

Assassin89
2008-12-16, 07:00 PM

I do not see a blond haired man with a giant sword (cloud) , a black haired woman wearing a white tank top (Tifa) , a red lion (Red XIII), or a brown haired woman (Aeris/Aerith) in #388 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html). Instead I saw the a white haired man (Setzer), a samurai with a mustache (Cyan), a blond haired woman (Celes), a green haired woman (Terra), a blond haired man carrying a drill (Edgar), and a little girl and her grandfather (Relm and Strago).

T-O-E
2008-12-16, 07:05 PM
Minsc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minsc) claiming that Mr Scruffy is a miniature giant space cat.

I think Minsc is notable enough to not even need the link.

LuisDantas
2008-12-16, 07:12 PM
Never heard of Minsc before, myself.

Speaking of parodies: there's that wizard boy that Nale considered recruiting in the linear guild. The one who talks in faux-latin to power his spells. Back in #253 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0253.html).

someonenonotyou
2008-12-16, 07:17 PM
Cameos I would like to see hmm ME! :smallbiggrin:

Assassin89
2008-12-16, 07:26 PM
I think you mean FF6. It was also pretty accurate, at least in terms of how they looked. They didn't act much, so I suppose one could make a case that they were a parody rather than a cameo.

Speaking of FFVII though, a cameo of them wouldn't be so bad... well, at least Vincent and Sephiroth. Rydia too, although that's FF4.

I would also enjoy seeing Tellah from Final Fantasy IV because of the following possible scenario:
Tellah arrives in Celestia and meets with Eugene Greenhilt. Tellah describes the circumstances of his death (casting Meteor in order to fulfill a blood death against Golbez). Tellah then tells Eugene that he was consumed by revenge and begins berating Eugene for the treatment of his family.

theinsulabot
2008-12-16, 07:35 PM

never heard of him

Hydro Globus
2008-12-17, 01:09 AM

I thought it too. But, as you can see, better safe then sorry.

theinsulabot, LuisDantas, if you like AD&D, if you don't know AD&D and if you'd like to play the single best (IMHO) computer RPG, try Baldur's Gate and BG2. I doubt you'll regret it.

RosesOnConcrete
2008-12-17, 01:38 AM
Yeah, more Final Fantasy-related gags would make me a happy little fangirl. Problem is that I can't think of one that wouldn't fall under the heading of "You got the good crack, huh?"

Assassin89
2008-12-17, 11:27 AM
If we do see the crew from Final Fantasy VI again, we could see the real Locke and real Mog go after Elan, along with the other people on the airship and Gau and Sabin.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-12-17, 03:16 PM
I would also enjoy seeing Tellah from Final Fantasy IV because of the following possible scenario:
Tellah arrives in Celestia and meets with Eugene Greenhilt. Tellah describes the circumstances of his death (casting Meteor in order to fulfill a blood death against Golbez). Tellah then tells Eugene that he was consumed by revenge and begins berating Eugene for the treatment of his family.

Actually having a part in a character's development? That's more than just a cameo, there.

Scarlet Knight
2008-12-17, 04:43 PM
Conan & Red Sonja!

Still, it will be hard to beat Fruitpie the Magician....

Terrace
2008-12-17, 07:20 PM
Ranma from Ranma 1/2 running from unwanted fiancees while cursing his father for putting him in this situation. Naturally, this would be a one-off joke.

Assassin89
2008-12-17, 08:37 PM
The following pieces of dialogue would result from a cameo by Orthros from Final Fantasy VI

Orthos: Don't tease the octopus, kids!
(Towards Lien) Delicious Morsel, I'd love to get my tentacles around her!
[Lien summons Razor and proceeds to beat Orthros to a squishy mass]
Random passenger on Hinjo's Junk: What is on the menu tonight?
Cook: Seafood soup.
Random passenger on Hinjo's Junk: Again?

TheBlackArcher
2008-12-18, 09:27 PM
I'd really like to see Vivi from final fantasy 9, the black mage lol.

Also, from neverwinter nights, get neeshka, good personality.

Fan
2008-12-18, 09:29 PM
I think you mean FF6. It was also pretty accurate, at least in terms of how they looked. They didn't act much, so I suspose one could make a case that they were a parody rather than a cameo.

I would squeal a fanboi squeal for the Vincent one.
I would pay Rich for it. Seriously.

NeonRonin
2008-12-18, 11:28 PM
I'd like to see Miko sitting in the Afterlife waiting room, waiting to be processed, talking with other maniacs/heroes who went over the top while in the pursuit of their own brand of justice. Rorschach from Watchmen springs to mind...

Still, on the other hand, so does Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, with his own twisted view of the world and its injustices. (And Johnny's practically skinny enough to be a stick figure in his own right.)

Assassin89
2008-12-18, 11:58 PM
In addition to Tellah, it would be interesting to see characters who sacrificed themselves for the sake of family. Galuf from Final Fantasy V also comes to mind. Not only did he defeat a being similar to Xykon, he died in order to save his granddaughter. If the theme of people that Eugene encounters does not give an epiphany to Eugene, we see Eugene beaten by all of those characters.

Any comments on the following scenario?

Miko meets Siggy from Dominic Deegan.

Calintares
2008-12-19, 03:48 AM
I think it was sort of a Vincent cameo in strip 474

Assassin89
2008-12-19, 09:02 AM

No that was Roy as a shadow. Vincent does not have dark skin, a blue hat or a two toned cape.

Setra
2008-12-19, 03:28 PM
Gatsu/Guts

EmperorSarda
2008-12-19, 03:31 PM
I would like to see Snoopy.

fangthane
2008-12-19, 04:21 PM
Hmm. Maybe a flashback to the Snarl discussing tactics with Tetsuo Shima? :)

Berserk Monk
2008-12-19, 11:02 PM
Edward Elric as a gnome transmuter and Alphonse Elric as a warforged.

AceOfFools
2008-12-20, 10:59 AM

Roy as a shadow is a parody of "The Shadow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow)," a superhero from old radio dramas (and apparently other media).

One of the shows catch phrases (said either during the intro or on a return from comercial) was "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!!"

Linkavitch
2008-12-20, 01:10 PM
Stan Lee. 0123456789

David Demola
2008-12-20, 06:54 PM
I would like to see Cameo.

Whaaat's the word up, word up?!

Assassin89
2008-12-21, 12:25 AM
I would like to see Cameo.

Whaaat's the word up, word up?!

*Stabs irrelevant statement X-1 number of times where X is the number of posts in this thread*

Who is this Cameo character anyway?

Anyway back to relevant topics.

Ex-Death from Final Fantasy V - Creates an opportunity for Durkon to say that trees are evil.
Fusoya from Final Fantasy IV - would create an interesting scenario in which V attempt to interrogate him for arcane secrets.
Palom and Porom from Final Fantasy IV - this would surprise Nale since he would not expect twins not homicidal towards each other.

Nimrod's Son
2008-12-21, 12:37 AM
Alfred Hitchcock.

Assassin89
2008-12-21, 06:29 PM
Jack Vance - V might want to beat this guy #345 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0345.html)

Wes Craven - Haley would want to kick him #519 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0519.html)

Naruto - have him killed for being highly visible in an orange jumpsuit, unlike the other ninjas.

Ron Wesley and Hermione Granger - Larry Gardner needs his friends to join him #253 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0253.html).

Steiner from Final Fantasy IX - wonder how he and Haley would get along? I would expect hatred at first, provided his initial personality is used.

Fall-From-Grace from Planescape Torment - How would Sabine react to a succubus who is not "an incarnation of elicit sex"

RMS Oceanic
2008-12-21, 06:33 PM
A bit of Playground Solidarity: Stanly the Tool!

TheRagi
2008-12-22, 10:10 AM
The Chrono Trigger crew. :smallamused:

Z-dan
2008-12-22, 03:39 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing the Doctor from Doctor Who :smallamused: Possible accidental killing when he was going to stop the Snarl...

Kroy
2008-12-22, 03:51 PM
never heard of him

Ditto

Vivi would be nice, so would the rest of the cast from LotR.

Assassin89
2008-12-23, 02:27 PM
How about the following pirates in the Final Fantasy Series?

Lelia from Final Fantasy II
Faris from Final Fantasy V

Bonus if an appearance by Faris sparks more V gender debate.

Or if we see training for the Azure City troops, it would be interesting to see a variation of the soldier from TF2 saying his dialogue from "meet the soldier" (http://store.steampowered.com/app/985/)