PDA

View Full Version : Ebon Bowman PrC [3.5, PEACH]

Risek
2008-12-16, 01:57 AM
So, I created this as part of my mass shadow magic project (basically converting prestige classes and other things to be used by shadowcasters). It was supposed to be simply an Arcane Archer remake, but things got out of hand, and it became it's own prestige class. It's under construction, but I'd like to get the mechanics looked at while I finish the fluff.

Anyhow, I give you: The Ebon Bowman. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Ebon_Bowman_(DnD_Prestige_Class))

(I apologize for the link, but I'd rather not rewrite the whole beast.)

Risek
2008-12-16, 01:25 PM
.......Bump?

Lorien077
2008-12-17, 01:20 AM
I don't know much about shadowcasters, but I think for a full casting PrC its right where it needs to be. Extra abilities are flavorful, and not terribly more powerful than bonus feats.
Though this is reliant on how powerful shadowcasters are. IIRC they're not as powerful as a wizard. If they are as powerful as a wizard then you might reconsider the sneak attack. If not then it should be fine.

Lert, A.
2008-12-17, 02:04 AM
Looks good. Well balanced.

If you are using the "fix" I don't see how allowing the bonus feats for paths completed would be a problem. In fact, I always saw the fact that shadowcasting prestige classes don't get the feats as a hassle and a pile of extra bookkeeping for what is not a real problem (the feats don't make anything overpowered really).

I would allow the ranged sudden strike to work along with far reaching shadows - and only this ability - just to make the class a bit more different from all the other SA classes. Don't think it would break the class to have a 60ft range SA by character level 18?

Unless I read the prerequisites wrong this could be a high entry only since 2nd level mysteries would be level 3+ (unless I'm missing something) which would give you a BAB of +1. So you need another 5 levels of a full BAB class just to reach the prerequisite +6 BAB. Level 8 might be a little too high for entry.

Risek
2008-12-17, 09:23 AM
I don't know much about shadowcasters, but I think for a full casting PrC its right where it needs to be. Extra abilities are flavorful, and not terribly more powerful than bonus feats.
Though this is reliant on how powerful shadowcasters are. IIRC they're not as powerful as a wizard. If they are as powerful as a wizard then you might reconsider the sneak attack. If not then it should be fine.

They are far weaker in most people's opinions, mine as well. Really, I jut like them for the flavor and that little boost they give stealthy characters, plus they're really cool..

Looks good. Well balanced.

If you are using the "fix" I don't see how allowing the bonus feats for paths completed would be a problem. In fact, I always saw the fact that shadowcasting prestige classes don't get the feats as a hassle and a pile of extra bookkeeping for what is not a real problem (the feats don't make anything overpowered really).

Hmmmm.... Do you mean Ari Marmell's fix?
I've never used it honestly, I really despise "fixes" (adaptions are a whole other thing, but acceptable in my mind). I'll think on the feats, but it might be a bit much.

I would allow the ranged sudden strike to work along with far reaching shadows - and only this ability - just to make the class a bit more different from all the other SA classes. Don't think it would break the class to have a 60ft range SA by character level 18?

Really? Originally, it was supposed to do that, but (as I said in the OP), things got a little out of hand. I ended up changing a lot of stuff, and deleting even more. I really like the idea of it, I think I'll change it back and see what people think.

Unless I read the prerequisites wrong this could be a high entry only since 2nd level mysteries would be level 3+ (unless I'm missing something) which would give you a BAB of +1. So you need another 5 levels of a full BAB class just to reach the prerequisite +6 BAB. Level 8 might be a little too high for entry.

No, you're right, it was intended to be available at 8th. I dunno...I thought it'd be balanced better that way...

Lert, A.
2008-12-17, 04:09 PM
Hmmmm.... Do you mean Ari Marmell's fix?
I've never used it honestly, I really despise "fixes" (adaptions are a whole other thing, but acceptable in my mind). I'll think on the feats, but it might be a bit much.

If you aren't using the fix then it can be too much. Of course, the 1 feat for every 2 paths you can access can be abused for a single class Shadowcaster as well....

Really? Originally, it was supposed to do that, but (as I said in the OP), things got a little out of hand. I ended up changing a lot of stuff, and deleting even more. I really like the idea of it, I think I'll change it back and see what people think.

It's a nice feature to include, since not every SA class can do it, but it's not overpowering.

No, you're right, it was intended to be available at 8th. I dunno...I thought it'd be balanced better that way...

Well, since you mentioned that it was based of of the Arcane Archer, I looked at that for prerequisites. AA is available one or two levels earlier with a good build, mostly because of the support that magic has, while this PrC can only be built effectively using a certain build since there is only one base class to get mysteries from. Knocking down the BAB requirement by one point would make this class balance with the AA a little better.

Risek
2008-12-23, 03:01 PM
Well, since you mentioned that it was based of of the Arcane Archer, I looked at that for prerequisites. AA is available one or two levels earlier with a good build, mostly because of the support that magic has, while this PrC can only be built effectively using a certain build since there is only one base class to get mysteries from. Knocking down the BAB requirement by one point would make this class balance with the AA a little better.

Anyway, I did indeed drop the BAB a bit as well as making Far-Reaching shadows apply to SS. What do you think now?

Lert, A.
2008-12-24, 09:36 PM
Anyway, I did indeed drop the BAB a bit as well as making Far-Reaching shadows apply to SS. What do you think now?

As I see it, it becomes a good option for both PCs and NPCs without overshadowing other PrCs or being too weak.

In other words, balanced. Me likey.

JackMage666
2008-12-24, 09:44 PM
Looks good... I'd like to see emphasis on Arrow of Dusk, personally, rather than a constructed bow, but that might be just me.

Risek
2008-12-24, 10:19 PM
As I see it, it becomes a good option for both PCs and NPCs without overshadowing other PrCs or being too weak.

In other words, balanced. Me likey.

YAY!

Looks good... I'd like to see emphasis on Arrow of Dusk, personally, rather than a constructed bow, but that might be just me.

Meh, I adore shadowcasters, but I resent the fact that Arrow of Dusk is like their only vaguely useful damage-dealing mystery at lower levels.

Thanks though.