PDA

View Full Version : SW Saga: Riposte

Talya
2008-12-16, 09:16 AM
Riposte is a jedi talent in the KotOR guidebook.

Functionally it is identical to Redirect, except that it keys off of block rather than deflect, and is a melee attack rather than ranged.

Redirect is usable once per round.

Riposte is usable once per encounter.

Was this intended? Why the difference? The ability is no more powerful than redirect even usable once per round.

Kiero
2008-12-16, 09:20 AM
Have you had a look at the extensive errata? Is there one for the KotOR sourcebook yet?

I think it makes sense that Riposte and Redirect should be identical in their effect.

Saph
2008-12-16, 09:40 AM
Rodney discussed this one on the WotC SW forums.

Basically it came down to the fact that Redirect gives you a free ranged attack, while Riposte gives you a free melee attack. Since most Jedi are way stronger at melee than ranged, the Riposte ability is effectively more powerful.

Short version: yes, it's intended, and isn't going to be errata'd.

- Saph

BardicDuelist
2008-12-16, 09:55 AM
Rodney discussed this one on the WotC SW forums.

Basically it came down to the fact that Redirect gives you a free ranged attack, while Riposte gives you a free melee attack. Since most Jedi are way stronger at melee than ranged, the Riposte ability is effectively more powerful.

Short version: yes, it's intended, and isn't going to be errata'd.

- Saph

I suppose that makes sense mechanically.

Realistically, I fence, and it's much easier to riposte off of a parry than to attempt to deflect a projectile (I've never tried that, but I'm fairly certain that I couldn't even catch it, let alone direct it against a specific target).

Kiero
2008-12-16, 10:17 AM
Basically it would seem, Redirect is a trivial little blaster bolt which won't do much harm, Riposte is a full-on lightsaber attack for free, which could put an enemy down.

Jack Zander
2008-12-16, 10:45 AM
What happens when two Jedi have the Riposte talent and are fighting each other?

What happens when a Jedi has a blaster pistol in one hand and a lightsaber in the other, and fires his blaster at another Jedi?

Attilargh
2008-12-16, 10:52 AM
Deflect Shot and Riposte can only be used once per turn and once per encounter, respectively. So while you apparently can riposte a riposte and deflect a deflected shot, neither can be used to start a proper loop.

Jack Zander
2008-12-16, 10:55 AM
Deflect and Block can be used as many times as you want, you just suffer penalties to each additional time you use it in the round.

Uin
2008-12-16, 10:55 AM
What happens when two Jedi have the Riposte talent and are fighting each other?

What happens when a Jedi has a blaster pistol in one hand and a lightsaber in the other, and fires his blaster at another Jedi?

1. Each Jedi can make one Riposte during the fight. Best pick the right opportunity to use it.

2. Theres actually a PrC for Melee+Pistol fighting in the tFUCG, Master Privateer. Anyway, the the blaster bolt is just played out as usual, with a deflect attempt and redirect if the defender wishes.

Jack Zander
2008-12-16, 10:56 AM
1. Each Jedi can make one Riposte during the fight. Best pick the right opportunity to use it.

2. Theres actually a PrC for Melee+Pistol fighting in the tFUCG, Master Privateer. Anyway, the the blaster bolt is just played out as usual, with a deflect attempt and redirect if the defender wishes.

So you can't redirect a redirected shot?

Attilargh
2008-12-16, 11:14 AM
Deflect and Block can be used as many times as you want, you just suffer penalties to each additional time you use it in the round.
I did mean to type "Redirect Shot", but the Force was not with me. That's the once-per-round one.

And you can deflect (and thus redirect) a redirected shot, because it plays out just like any other blaster bolt.

Kiero
2008-12-16, 11:16 AM
I did mean to type "Redirect Shot", but the Force was not with me. That's the once-per-round one.

And you can deflect (and thus redirect) a redirected shot, because it plays out just like any other blaster bolt.

I've now got the image of two lightsaber-wielders playing blaster bolt tennis.

Jack Zander
2008-12-16, 11:18 AM
Alright, so you can fire the blaster, redirect the bolt twice, and then deflect it harmlessly away.

Why is this not a Jedi sport?

Attilargh
2008-12-16, 11:19 AM
No. I'm sorry that I'm not making myself clear enough, but no. Any given character can only use Redirect once per turn. However, you can use Redirect against a blaster attack someone else Redirected at you. If you choose to Redirect it back, that someone can't Redirect it again.

Savvy?

You need a whole team, because any given Jedi can still Redirect only once. So more like volleyball.

Actually, uncannily like volleyball.

I feel the urge to write up some rules for one of those sports from the EU now.

SydneyLosstarot
2008-12-16, 11:21 AM

Actually, in Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy you could play rocket tennis with dark jedi: shoot at 'em with a rocket launcher, they Force Push it back at you, you Force Push it back at them - until someone runs out of ammo and gets blasted.

I would've allowed it if i were to DM an SW game, just for fun and with stacking penalties. Looks like a decent lightsaber action scene.

Jack Zander
2008-12-16, 11:28 AM
No. I'm sorry that I'm not making myself clear enough, but no. Any given character can only use Redirect once per turn. However, you can use Redirect against a blaster attack someone else Redirected at you. If you choose to Redirect it back, that someone can't Redirect it again.

Sorry, I didn't mean you can redirect it twice, the bolt itself can be redirected twice, once for each person.

It's good to know that in a case like this, the attacker still has the overall advantage.

Mando Knight
2008-12-16, 11:29 AM
Great. Now all I can think of is Yoda and Windu playing Laser Volleyball...