PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Dvati

arguskos
2008-12-16, 02:03 PM
So, in the Dragon Compendium, one of the new races is a race of twins with one soul called the Dvati.

The book doesn't really explain how being a Dvati works that well, so I have a number of questions:
-Does each twin attack/move/act on it's own?
-Can I send one twin off to be awesome somewhere and have the second being awesome somewhere else? If so, and they both enter combat, do they use the same initiative, or different ones, even though they are technically the same person?
-How do spells with Target: Self/Caster work on Dvati? Do they affect both twins, just the one who uses it, or do I have to pick? I know I can shift it around, implying that each spell affects one twin, but does that mean I can't cast the same spell twice, once on each twin?

Lastly, is +1 LA worth it to play a pair of linked twins?

AKA_Bait
2008-12-16, 02:34 PM
Although I am unfamiliar with exactly what you are talking about, they seem like an ideal race to use if you want to make something like a Days from the Runelords series.

Beyond that, I got nuthin.

Prometheus
2008-12-16, 08:08 PM
I don't know how it works, but given how it has a level adjustment, it is meant to be played by a single person. Therefore I would speculate whichever twin is not active, the other is in a coma. A DM would have to set what kind of action it would be to switch between the two, which might determine if, say if you killed one twin whether or not it had time to switch to the other like the spell Clone.

starwoof
2008-12-16, 08:15 PM
So, in the Dragon Compendium, one of the new races is a race of twins with one soul called the Dvati.

The book doesn't really explain how being a Dvati works that well, so I have a number of questions:
-Does each twin attack/move/act on it's own?
-Can I send one twin off to be awesome somewhere and have the second being awesome somewhere else? If so, and they both enter combat, do they use the same initiative, or different ones, even though they are technically the same person?
-How do spells with Target: Self/Caster work on Dvati? Do they affect both twins, just the one who uses it, or do I have to pick? I know I can shift it around, implying that each spell affects one twin, but does that mean I can't cast the same spell twice, once on each twin?

Lastly, is +1 LA worth it to play a pair of linked twins?

I don't have my dragon compendium on me, but I'll try to answer as best I can.

1. Yes.
2. I think that they can be seperated, but I don't think its the sort of thing they would do. If they are in the same combat, I think they use the same init, but otherwise they would roll separately.
3. It sounds to me like it affects one, but you can move it around.
4. Uh, yeah. This is one of the most broken races I can think of. You are in essence playing two characters, even if the stats are split between them. There's nothing stopping you from playing twin rogues that flank and then deal sneak attack damage twice to every monster. Theres probably better ways to break this, but thats the thing that immediately comes to mind.

Innis Cabal
2008-12-16, 08:16 PM
Its utterly not worth it outside of flavor reasons. The race is at best a hinderance for any class but fighter or rogue.

As to the questions.

1. Only one can attack a turn
2. They have to be in a certain area of each other
3. They target both. Only the one who it applies to acts with it.

More or less. Its your HP split into two seperate bodies who can both get attacked but you can only attack once a round dispite having two of you. Spell casting is split between the two, one does the motion the other does the words etc etc.

Not worth it.

Starsinger
2008-12-16, 08:19 PM
Not worth it.

As a PC, has some badass NPC potential though.

UserClone
2008-12-16, 08:35 PM
Well, the fact that the Pair Link ability mentions specifically that one can Aid Another with one's Dvati twin to get a +4 rather than the regular +3, one has to assume 2 sets of actions. The only restriction that is explicitly put out there on taking two turns' actions is that you can only cast one spell per turn, and that both twins have to do this at the same time, which seems like one has to delay to the other's initiative.

Edit: also, personal range spells affect both as long as they are on the same plane. Touch range spells that one casts on oneself can be transferred from one to the other as a move action. You can't use this ability with spells cast by anyone but you (well, one of you).

Innis, you are mistaken. Not only is it worth it, but for anything that doesn't cast spells, it is ridiculously broken.