PDA

View Full Version : My first earthquake!

Miklus
2008-12-16, 03:15 PM
At 6:20 am I was most rudely awakend from my beauty sleep by someone shaking my house back and forth! My very first thought (still asleep) was "Stop that!". Then I realised that the closet might fall on me. Well, It didn't and the shaking stopped in about 10-20 seconds (I can not tell more accurately because I was half asleep). So I went back to sleep.

But earthquakes are not supposed to happen in Denmark (aka Hobbitville). Nothing happens here. According to the experts, this is the biggest quake in Denmark evar! And the epicenter was in Sweden...4.7 in the scale.

Damage report: Many people awakend before time and several pets scared.

Joking aside, I'm glad I don't live anywhere that has really big quakes.

Syka
2008-12-16, 03:35 PM
I've just gotta ask...why would your closet have fallen on you? In America, at least, the closets tend to be part of the room. Although, it would be amusing.

Congrats on surviving your first earthquake. :) Your first thoughts made me laugh.

Silence
2008-12-16, 03:42 PM
Hmmm... Never been part of an earthquake. As Syka said, how did the closet fall on you?

Tempest Fennac
2008-12-16, 03:50 PM
I think he meant it may have fallen on him, Silence. Closets are often separate pieces of furniture in my experience (mine are built into my room, though). That sounds like one which happened over here a few months back, which is really unusual for Lincolnshire.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-12-16, 04:23 PM
At least in the part of America I'm from, we consider a closet to be a small room or section of a room. Perhaps in Denmark closet = Wardrobe = Schronk?

I experienced a very minor earthquake when I was in college in Virginia, and it was very confusing.

Brain: The earth isn't supposed to shake like this! Something must be wrong with my senses!

AslanCross
2008-12-16, 04:38 PM
I'm in Ring of Fire country, so minor quakes come far more often. I've only been through one MAJOR quake, though. It was a 6.5 here in Manila, but it totally trashed the cities in the north. I was 7 years old and staying at home because of a dentist appointment. It was pretty bloody terrifying, since we have these heavy glass sliding doors that banged really loudly. No damage or injury in our household, though the power was knocked out all afternoon. Scary stuff.

insecure
2008-12-16, 04:44 PM
I live in Denmark too, and this was also my first earthquake. Really, this is kind of like Shire. Nothing happens and our capital city has been declared the city with the happiest inhabitants in Europe several times.

Also, Miklus might be referring to cupboard, although I'm not sure.

Exeson
2008-12-16, 04:50 PM
I have always thought it would be interesting to experience and earthquake. Not a big one that is very dangerous, but just the whole ground moving thing.

My dad has been in a bomb blast, apparently all the people in the dorm/barracks/thing woke up with glass all over the place from the shattered windows.

Madmal
2008-12-16, 04:53 PM
I'm on the Ring of Fire too. 4.7? pffft; i've slept though higher ones, though there has been a couple that actually shook me, and one that REALLY got me out of my apartment. (yes, that one from last year that ravaged the region of Ica and that carried all the way over to the capital city.)

Maroon
2008-12-16, 05:18 PM
My first and only (alleged) earthquake was when I was little. I slept through it. According to my parents it was like a truck driving past the house, but without the noise. Yeah, that's about it. We're more concerned about wind and water around here (I live on a hill in a brick and mortar building, though).

Tirian
2008-12-16, 06:20 PM
My first and only (alleged) earthquake was when I was little. I slept through it. According to my parents it was like a truck driving past the house, but without the noise. Yeah, that's about it. We're more concerned about wind and water around here (I live on a hill in a brick and mortar building, though).

That's more of an earthstretch than an earthquake, and depending on how close you were to the epicenter it's probably along the lines of a 2.0-2.5 on the Richter Scale. Being close to a 4.7, you are definitely allowed to brag about it to your friends, but you can't wear the T-shirt until you experience a 6.0 or greater.

rayne_dragon
2008-12-16, 06:39 PM
Darn it. I've only been around minor tremmors that I weren't even sure were technically earthquakes. I'm jealous now. :smallwink:

Closest thing to an earthquake I've experianced was the explosion from the propane thingy that blew up in TO this past year. I thought my apartment building was going to collaspe.

Miklus
2008-12-16, 07:22 PM
Yes, by closet I ment wardrobe or whatever. But it did not fall on me. That would have been a rude awakeing indeed.

sktarq
2008-12-16, 07:33 PM
*watches earthquake reactions amusedly* welcome to the I know what ground motion feels like club
(is from California-we put the weeks earthquakes in the paper on a map in the paper each week-generally something in the 3's a dozen or more 2's a couple score 1's-a 4 ever couple months-and get rarer as you go up)

Miklus
2008-12-16, 07:47 PM
Well, there was this one thing that happend in "Hobbitville" back in 2004:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG_7Izfo0oY

An Enemy Spy
2008-12-16, 08:31 PM
I was once in a 6.8 quake. My room was a mess

Syka
2008-12-16, 08:37 PM
Evidently we felt the shock waves here in Florida from an earthquake somewhere up north. I had a bunch of friends telling me they felt it.

I didn't feel a thing.

I was a little sad.

I'll stick with the hurricanes, though. :)

Falconer
2008-12-17, 12:02 AM
Welcome, good Danes, into the Worshipful Knows-What-Its-Like-to-Be-in-an-Earthquake Society. As has been said, here in Californy earthquakes are very common (in my region we get little tremors all the time, but i've never been in a large one, thank God).

That said, any idea what is magnitude was?

Khanderas
2008-12-18, 08:57 AM
Swede, though as far from the epicentrum as the Danes would be. Was half asleep, debating if I should procastrinate another 5 minutes before going up and take a shower.
Then the room was set to "vibrate" and I was amused. Then I took the shower.

Nothing more to contribute though.

three08
2008-12-18, 07:25 PM
i've heard denver often suffers tiny, largely unnoticeable ones. i wouldn't know - i never noticed any.

i did sleep through a respectable sized one once in hawaii though. apparently it made national news. the folks on the 9th floor of the dorm i was in at the time were apparently woke wide awake and running for the tequila cos they didn't want to die sober, but i didn't even bat an eyelash, and i'm a really light sleeper so that's weird and i am a little sad.

Uncle Festy
2008-12-18, 09:00 PM
Um.
Congrats?

insecure
2008-12-19, 04:27 PM
Swede, though as far from the epicentrum as the Danes would be. Was half asleep, debating if I should procastrinate another 5 minutes before going up and take a shower.
Then the room was set to "vibrate" and I was amused. Then I took the shower.

Nothing more to contribute though.

There's nothing like having the wrath of nature itself against you.:smallwink:

KilltheToy
2008-12-19, 06:34 PM
Congrats on surviving your first earthquake! I wouldn't know what that's like, as southeast Texas isn't known for being earthquake country.

At least in the part of America I'm from, we consider a closet to be a small room or section of a room. Perhaps in Denmark closet = Wardrobe = Schronk?

I experienced a very minor earthquake when I was in college in Virginia, and it was very confusing.

Brain: The earth isn't supposed to shake like this! Something must be wrong with my senses!

Actually, it's schrank, and that's German. You typed the phonetic spelling. And according to Wikipedia, the Danish for closet is "skab".

Taking German over French FTW!

Aotrs Commander
2008-12-19, 06:41 PM
Well, allow me to congratulate you heartily. Enjoy the novelty and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

(Remembering when we in the UK had a quake last time and we all got very excited about it, the large number of miserable old toads who told us to stop getting worked up about it. (Yes, it might have been tiny, but it was British so it was of a higher quality than foreign quakes for no readily apparent reason. Or something...))

(And obviously be thankful you don't live in a place where these things happen with a degree of serious danger.)

DigoDragon
2008-12-20, 09:45 AM
I'll stick with the hurricanes, though. :)

Me too! The scary part of an Earthquake to me is that there's no warning beforehand. With hurricanes, they at least give you about 3-5 days advanced notice before striking. :smallsmile:

Fredthefighter
2008-12-20, 10:15 AM
I think that the biggest Earthquake we've ever had where I live is a 1.0, and I slept through it without even noticing until we were told at school the next morning!

Ashen Lilies
2008-12-20, 10:37 AM
I was once caught in the aftershock of the 2004 Indonesian Earthquake (one that caused the Tsunami). My response was to sit up in bed, wonder why everything was vibrating, then go downstairs to see the pool going crazy and my parents sort of staring at it.

Saithis Bladewing
2008-12-20, 12:32 PM
My first earthquake was a 5.5 when I was like 4 years old. I slept right through it, didn't even hear a thing, and was very confused about the fact that there were some broken windows. At least you knew what happened. :smalltongue: I've only lived through one noticable earthquake since...

Stormthorn
2008-12-20, 12:43 PM
I live in a 'relativly' earthquake free part of California. Couple of small ones or the heavily dissapated waves from larger ones further off.

More interesting was the lightening strike, which was almost blindingly bright though windows on opposite sides of the house and shook it more than the earthquakes (although it didnt last nearly as long).

But yeah, its a somewhat surreal experiance; being woken up by an earthquake.

Vuzzmop
2008-12-20, 04:38 PM
When I lived in Wellington, we had small to mid sized earthquakes all the time, but now that I live in Auckland, we've only had one, and I barely felt it, yet everyone around me panicked. It was quite funny to watch the reaction to such a tiny quake.

sktarq
2008-12-20, 05:30 PM
But yeah, its a somewhat surreal experiance; being woken up by an earthquake.

For surreal waking up during an earthquake try this one.

Dream about something wacky by quite plesant.
Have said dream start shaking as per a medium strength earthquake.
Wake up.
Wonder why/how the world is still shaking without missing a beat
Realize the reality of an earthquake.
Dive under desk
Get legs tangled in bedclothes miss under desk area and slam forehead into desk itself.
Groan and shaking subsides and realize you have to be up anyway in two hours.

Cue subsequent earthquakes in dreams that don't translate into real ones for next week or so....except when they do....gotta love aftershocks.

That was the Northridge quake for me.

_Zoot_
2008-12-23, 07:43 AM
I live in Denmark too, and this was also my first earthquake. Really, this is kind of like Shire. Nothing happens and our capital city has been declared the city with the happiest inhabitants in Europe several times.

Ok, now i really want to come and live there...... but, I’m crap at learning other languages so i guess that rules that out.:smallannoyed:

Yeril
2008-12-23, 10:05 AM
I remember a few months ago there was a teeny earthquake in England at about 1am.

I was just nodding off reading a book and the house started shaking, however my house is close to the train-tracks so when we get a big freight train go past the house shakes also.

so I thought to myself "huh, that was a big train" then went back to reading.

Jonesh
2008-12-23, 10:20 AM
Another swede here. I was up watching TV when the quake struck and I became very confused so I looked out the window, realized there wasn't a crash, explosion, fire or invading aliens... so I just chilled and made some breakfast.
When I read that it was really an earthquake I was a bit surprised, but eh, it has happened before. Only like, a hundred years ago :smalltongue:
I'm still very thankful I don't live in an area where I might come to harm because of things like this :smallsmile:

Saithis Bladewing
2008-12-23, 11:18 AM
Ok, now i really want to come and live there...... but, I’m crap at learning other languages so i guess that rules that out.:smallannoyed:

In my experience, the majority of Scandinavians are fluent in English, and if you move in with friends, language difficulty shouldn't be a problem in the slightest. :smalltongue:

Jonesh
2008-12-23, 03:04 PM
In my experience, the majority of Scandinavians are fluent in English, and if you move in with friends, language difficulty shouldn't be a problem in the slightest. :smalltongue:

I second this, although many normal people talk with a kind of "school" accent. It's hard to describe, it's just bad. But we begin learning english in school when we are like 9 years old or something so the knowledge is there. However, I do know a girl up north who barely understands english so yeah, of course it differs from person to person :smalltongue:
Also, learning swedish is easy-peasy and it sounds beautiful too :smallbiggrin:

Back on topic, how close we're everyone around here (i.e. we swedes and danes) to the epicenter near ystad (y-city :smallcool:)?
I was around 40-45 kilometres away I think.