PDA

View Full Version : So is this awesome or lame?

Alysar
2008-12-16, 04:26 PM
Ok, in a game that I DM, the party had encountered a green hag that was constantly disappearing to attack them. They managed to beat the hag down to like 5 HP. I had it disappear one more time, then sneak into a room that the party hadn't explored yet and cast disguise self so that she appeared to be a horribly beaten teenage girl. They found her and she claimed to have been held captive by the hag and repeatedly tortured. They healed her, giving her half her HP back, whereupon she revealed her true self and the fight continued.

The halfling rogue knew it was a trick, but she's constantly getting the group in trouble so no one listened to her. :smalltongue:

Graymayre
2008-12-16, 04:28 PM
http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp100/music_iz_life08/awesome.jpg

KeresM
2008-12-16, 04:29 PM
This is why everyone should have a rank or two in sense motive.

AmberVael
2008-12-16, 04:29 PM
Totally mean, but awesome and hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2008-12-16, 04:31 PM
Roleplaying villains - making encounters twice as hard since 2000!

Egiam
2008-12-16, 04:31 PM
I love it!! I'm only disapointed I didn't think of it first.

Tacoma
2008-12-16, 04:32 PM
I think it's awesome. They, without a rest, had to spend their healing spells on their enemy who they immediately had to fight again. And this sowed dissention among those who thought it was a trick and others who fell for it (who feel shamed for their failure as well).

It's fantastic.

The kind of thing you hope happens but usually doesn't.

KIDS
2008-12-16, 04:37 PM
It's awesome. I love such situations from either side of the DM screen :)

Ridureyu
2008-12-16, 04:41 PM
I have a solution to this. Bring her flowers and chocolate.

And a paper bag.

Graymayre
2008-12-16, 04:42 PM
I did something similar to my PCs. 3 hags had been fighting the players (while a bunch of children lay on the floor, gagged and ready to be eaten). When the last hag was felled, smoke burst out in all directions. The players believed that the hag had escaped.

When it turned out one of the children was a PC's latchkey son, they took him with them and let the others wander home (Unsupervised of course :smallsmile:).

Later, during a crucial fight, the hag had turned out of her disguise as the child and attacked the players, happily proclaiming that she had eaten the boy (though, it is still disputed whether that was a lie).

DigoDragon
2008-12-16, 04:43 PM
**Thumbs Up**
That's my kind of villiany. :smallbiggrin:

Who_Da_Halfling
2008-12-16, 04:44 PM
That's awesome, I may have to keep that tactic in mind...

-JM

Ent
2008-12-16, 04:44 PM
As a PC I'd be glad the hag didn't just wait till the party was sleeping and really gank us. How many times have your parties more or less ignored those NPCs they have just rescued? They usually just seem to tag along until they can be safely deposited in the town they were originally abducted from in the first place.

Person_Man
2008-12-16, 04:53 PM
I think it's an interesting twist on the classic succubus encounter.

DM: "You find a half naked woman chained to the wall. She begs for your help, and promises to do anything you ask if you just let her free."

Teenage Boy PC: "I get her alone and get hentai crazy with her."

DM: "Halfway into your greatest fantasy come to life, she changes into a succubus. She drains all of your levels. Get out a blank character sheet."

Since every DM has done some variant of this (All logic and characterization point toward this person being an ally. Thus, they're obviously an enemy) in virtually every campaign I've played in, my characters have a long standing policy of killing everyone and everything encountered in a dungeon. Especially women, talking animals, and seemingly inanimate statues. No exceptions. The trick is to not let the DM know that you have this policy.

Blackfang108
2008-12-16, 04:58 PM

DM: "You find a half naked woman chained to the wall. She begs for your help, and promises to do anything you ask if you just let her free."

DM: "Halfway into your greatest fantasy come to life, she changes into a succubus. She drains all of your levels. Get out a blank character sheet."

And my friends wonder why I play "Implied Celibate" characters...

Immutep
2008-12-16, 04:58 PM
I don't know wether to eye you suspiciously, or welcome you with open arms as a fellow deviant to the normal assumptions of perception!

Epinephrine
2008-12-16, 04:59 PM
Ugh, same sort of thing happened to our party, and we nearly killed each other.

Orc spellcaster used spell to look like another party member, while we were somewhat separated. Convinced me (failed sense motive) that he was the real party member, and that there was a fake, imitating him. He even healed me (he was disguised as our archivist healer), and then used a Suggestion that I should attack the fake on sight. When we joined up with another party member he charmed them, and easily convince them that we should find the villain (our actual party member). When our actual party member arrived I of course attacked, though he protested that he wasn't the fake. Confused, I was going to test to see if it was realy him by asking them both something that only the real one would know, but the fake one (who I was pretty sure was real) told us that doppelgangers can read thoughts, so it wouldn't work.

The fake then dropped to the ground, writhing in (apparent) agony, shrieking that "he's in my head! Argh, he's killing me!", so I did the only sensible thing - try to kill the real party member, who was back behind another party member that was convinced that my (fake) archivist was the fake one.

Luckily, the party's Wildrunner (between the two sets of archivists) realised he could smell the difference between them, and used his AoO to grapple me as I stepped by him. If not for someone remembering scent, we likely would have had a dead PC, as I had already done a number on our poor healer.

Vortling
2008-12-16, 05:12 PM
Since every DM has done some variant of this (All logic and characterization point toward this person being an ally. Thus, they're obviously an enemy) in virtually every campaign I've played in, my characters have a long standing policy of killing everyone and everything encountered in a dungeon. Especially women, talking animals, and seemingly inanimate statues. No exceptions. The trick is to not let the DM know that you have this policy.

I'd like to play in a game where all the players subscribed to this attitude with the DM completely unaware. The train wreck involved would be hilarious.

Another_Poet
2008-12-16, 05:18 PM
Awesome. It's awesome.

Tacoma
2008-12-16, 05:21 PM

This could be even more entertaining if you expand your definition of "dungeon" to include all places where adventure might occur. Such as everywhere all the time.

Ridureyu
2008-12-16, 05:24 PM

PC: "Anything? Here's my laundry. It's getting pretty rank. And are you any good at math? I need help with my taxes."

PrGo
2008-12-16, 05:26 PM
You, sir, are a genius :smallbiggrin:

This gave me a whole bunch of new ideas for an adventure that I can't thank you enough!

Eldariel
2008-12-16, 05:30 PM
This could be even more entertaining if you expand your definition of "dungeon" to include all places where adventure might occur. Such as everywhere all the time.

The problem with this is, after you've slaughtered a few towns, you're bound to be facing up to some level inapproprate headhunters.

LibraryOgre
2008-12-16, 05:45 PM
Reminds me of two events when I first got started.

First, we had the DM bring in a cleric NPC. Now, none of us had played a lot before (I had the most experience with 2 sessions), and none at all with him, so we figured this was just him giving us some healing.

Turns out he was a cleric of Cyric. He later tried to kill us all for the luckblade we were supposed to retrieve.

At another point, we ran into a woman chained in some magical bracelets. Our cleric, whose player was very immature, looked furtively around and said "I touch her in a naughty place."

My mage/thief, who had some issues, promptly backhanded him... and went around, composing insulting ditties about him, even in the shrine of his own deity.

Grail
2008-12-16, 05:49 PM
It's not bad, it's silly on behalf of the players who fell for the ruse. But, yeah, if you were truly cunning and evil this could have been a TPK and taught the players a valuable lesson.

Players always take Spot and Listen, but Sense Motive seems to always be a skill not taken, yet it is imperative when dealing with NPC's to know who can be trusted and who should get a fork in the eye.

I used to play in a Star Wars d20 game, where the GM would always have unknown NPC's offer to do something to help out the group in exchange for the group doing X. I was the only voice of dissension. However, everything used to come out ok for the group because the NPC's were always good guys or would always do what they promised. On occassion though, I would run the game for the group to give the GM a chance to play.

I remember one game, I wanted to teach the players a valuable lesson, so the groups starship needed repairs and they were in the Outer Rim. The only place that had the parts was selling them at an insane markup, but offered the group a deal. Do X and the parts are yours.

The group agreed, but didn't realise that the NPC was a member of a terrorist organisation that were creating a biological weapon of mass destruction. They helped get the deadly bacterial agents past their rivals and also past the Imperial presence. For their help, the group got the part, installed by the Villains. But they also had a shaped charge applied to the bottom of their vessel to explode when the ship left the atmosphere. They were just about to take off when the pilot said "I want to check the ship".

He'd never done that before, so he had everyone check it outside and in, taking 20 on all the checks - it took a very long time. Eventually, the charge was found, they disarmed it and then decided that what they had done might not have been a good thing, so they went back to try and find out what it was that they did, and what they could do to remedy the situation.

I did take it a little easy on them in this game, coz it wasn't my campaign. But it did teach them a very valuable lesson. After that, many started to take Sense Motive, and question what they were asked to do rather than doing it blindly.

The GM later told me (after I had left the group due to geographical reasons - I moved), that he had been building them up to have a big fall because they were so trusting.

Yukitsu
2008-12-16, 05:51 PM
I recall my DM trying to do this in CoC. My immediate response was to knock the person unconcious, duct tape their hands behind their back, and bring them in for questioning. Probably only did it this way because, well, it was CoC.

Scion_of_Darkness
2008-12-16, 05:58 PM
It is unquestioningly awesome. I now intend to use a similar trick on my players. I might have to make the villain appear to be dying to get my players to heal the person though.

Starscream
2008-12-16, 06:02 PM
I love tricks like this. That'll teach em not to put ranks into sense motive. Anything that makes players paranoid is a good thing.

Grail
2008-12-16, 06:02 PM
I love tricks like this. That'll teach em not to put ranks into sense motive. Anything that makes players paranoid is a good thing.

Don't need to be paranoid, just cautious.

Quietus
2008-12-16, 06:06 PM

I had this happen in my group... yesterday. The DM was using this exact trope, and is very green. She didn't know exactly how the succubus worked. Us, being good little players, A) Knew exactly what was happening and ignored it in favor of in-character thought processes, and B) Informed the DM of how precisely a succubus's powers work.

She followed along with us nicely for a while, but eventually we had to sleep. The full-blooded, 6 charisma orc whose LAST attempt at seduction involved the words "I want to put it in your bum, and pull your beard" (spoken to my dwarven cleric's sister, no less), again made a.. *coughs* "Polite" request for evening company, and the succubus, having been disguised as an elf, complies. Five rounds later, the orc is a pile of dust, and thanks to the succubus' +19 bluff mod and our average party level of 3, we're all very confused, and trying to find our friend.

AslanCross
2008-12-16, 06:10 PM
And I'd forgotten that my BBEG Half-fiend Ogre Mage has change shape. Thanks for reminding me. :smallamused:

LibraryOgre
2008-12-16, 09:25 PM
Don't need to be paranoid, just cautious.

I refer to CYA as "due paranoia."

Alysar
2008-12-17, 01:43 AM
Yeah, the only one with any ranks in Sense Motive was gone that week. Thing is, none of them even attempted to roll it, not even the halfling who knew that it was a trick.

Stephen_E
2008-12-17, 02:21 AM
I remember a campaign where there was this annoying DM's PC who was several levels higher than us, Sergent Dan. He'd hang around and do nothing unless the encounter was clearly beyond us and then save us taking the best of the loot. We all got really pissed with him and I tried to organise murdering him but some of the party wouldn't go for it because our bosses might not like it. :smallannoyed:

Turns out he was a bad guy all the time and tricked us into killing this good lich that was protecting a portal to the underworld from a bunch of undead. I almost did the kill on my own but I wasn't sure if I could pull it off (DM PCs are tough to kill).

Stephen E

mroozee
2008-12-17, 03:14 AM
Ok, in a game that I DM, the party had encountered a green hag that was constantly disappearing to attack them. They managed to beat the hag down to like 5 HP. I had it disappear one more time, then sneak into a room that the party hadn't explored yet and cast disguise self so that she appeared to be a horribly beaten teenage girl. They found her and she claimed to have been held captive by the hag and repeatedly tortured. They healed her, giving her half her HP back, whereupon she revealed her true self and the fight continued.

The halfling rogue knew it was a trick, but she's constantly getting the group in trouble so no one listened to her. :smalltongue:

THIS is why I play Paladins.

Seffbasilisk
2008-12-17, 03:48 AM
Awesomesauce.

With a side of great DMing.

You have my hearty approval.

Asheram
2008-12-17, 06:59 AM
In virtually every campaign I've played in, my characters have a long standing policy of killing everyone and everything encountered in a dungeon. Especially women, talking animals, and seemingly inanimate statues. No exceptions. The trick is to not let the DM know that you have this policy.

Oh dear... I haven't encountered the backstabbing women and talking animals yet, but I never stop being suspicious towards NPC's... I remember this one adventure where we countered a Lot of dwarven golems..

Now imagine being deep down into a dungeon, you enter a pitch-black room. You throw in a torch and it lands by the foot of a 15 foot statue of a dwarf.
Party leader with darkvision: "Hm.. Looks like the artefact is just behind the statue... think it's a chasm or something between it and us."
Other party members: "Alrighty, let's go fetch it!"
Me: "Uhm... guys? What about the statue?"
Other partymembers: "What about it? It's just a statue."
Me: "..." *looks around nervously* "..alright. Let me just take care of some things first..."
*15 minutes later and an almost empty 'Spool of endless rope'*
Me: Alrighty! Let's go get that treasure!"

Of course in the end nothing happened with the statue... but you can never be too careful when it comes to golems!

Curmudgeon
2008-12-17, 07:07 AM
No lameness involved at all. Kudos to the Rogue, and shame to the rest of the players.

newbDM
2008-12-17, 07:19 AM
I think it's awesome. They, without a rest, had to spend their healing spells on their enemy who they immediately had to fight again. And this sowed dissention among those who thought it was a trick and others who fell for it (who feel shamed for their failure as well).

It's fantastic.

The kind of thing you hope happens but usually doesn't.

Agreed. I envy your skill as a DM Alysar.

Just wondering, was that planned, or did you improvise it on the spot?

Oracle_Hunter
2008-12-17, 07:39 AM
Ah, that's a good one. But my DM did something even better/worse.

Our party cleric was also a politically connected member of her church, so when the local thieves' guild wanted someone to ransom for our minor artifact (The All Key), they popped her full of drow poison and lugged her away. Later, with the head of said church backing us up, we find and assault the Guild to rescue her. After slaughtering a bunch of guildsmen, we notice that the rest of the guild has taken up defensive positions around their "vault." This leaves us time to check through the rest of the guild hall, where we discover our cleric tied up in one room. We free her, kill a few guildsmen for good measure, and consider the matter solved.

We continue adventuring in the same town (Ptolus, if you're interested) and I think about the possibility that the guild might try to steal the All Key anyways. Since it gave a temporary negative level when we carried it around, we left it in a nice lead-lined chest we had found, hidden in the basement of my home base (the tavern where I had been raised). The cleric mentioned that she could probably get the Head Priest to look after the All Key while we were adventuring. This seemed like a good idea to me, but I wasn't going to take any chances. I got a custom-made lead lined chest I could carry around with an Amazing Lock (yes, DC 40) and put the All Key inside. Confident it couldn't be scried, I took it to the Head Priest, watched him put it in his private safe, and wore the key around my neck.

That night, we all stayed in the cathedral so that we would be nearby in case anything went wrong. In the morning, the chest was gone!

What happened?
The Guild had hired a doppleganger to impersonate our cleric, in order to find out where we were keeping the All Key and to steal it for them. Since there was a break between the session when the cleric was kidnapped and when we went to rescue us, the DM spoke to her, via email, and asked her to play the doppleganger. Since the doppleganger had plenty of time to read her mind, this wasn't a big deal. To boot, the doppleganger was a low-level cleric of some trickster god so that he could use our Wand of CLW and cast some low-level spells.

Despite fighting a large combat with the doppleganger backing us, we never noticed that "our cleric" wasn't doing her usual summoning-gig and was only using low-level spells. Personally, I had assumed that she had been captured low on spells, and didn't give it a second thought. The doppleganger had gotten us to both reveal where the All Key was, and also get it placed in a more convenient carrying case. All he had to do next was walk up to the Head Priest disguised as me and ask for the case in the morning before the rest of us got up.

So we lost our minor artifact (which we needed for our next dungeon-crawl), got chumped by the Thieves' Guild, and were totally played by our DM and the cleric's player - a novice roleplayer to boot!

Noneoyabizzness
2008-12-17, 11:45 AM
happened to a party I was in similarly we were low level sho stumble into this hell of finding part of an evil artifact. so the quest begings to put it togethr to destroy it utterly. for a while an assassin attacks us almost every night (which tached my wizard the virute of alarm and improved alarm as well as bags of flour) so the assassin eventually joins out party as a halfling merchant tryign to get goods and make money. a few other assassination attempts pass and msot of the time we assume nothign of the halfling sicne she stayed in a different room never attempted to get us alone or any other redflags.

we get close to finishing the job post battle for the last oen goto her to buy diamonds to have somethign to help res some party memebers and kills the last of us.

campaign over.

moral of the story: a good assassin is no one trick pony.

Person_Man
2008-12-17, 02:55 PM
Also, this brings up the importance of passive checks. For Spot, Search, and Sense Motive, I assume players are Taking 10 at all times unless there's a specific reason not to (they're asleep, drunk, etc). So when they encounter a sneaking spy, a deft pick pocket, or lying hag, they're not tipped off by the DM rolling dice behind the screen. They just roleplay, and the DM informs them of what they know as they figure it out.

Gerrtt
2008-12-17, 03:09 PM
I cast my vote for awesome.

Your party needs a better face, that's for sure.

Alysar
2008-12-17, 03:28 PM
Your party needs a better face, that's for sure.

:confused: ....

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/7346/bunnypancakesq8.gif

Glimbur
2008-12-17, 03:33 PM
A party face has the unfortunate responsibility of interacting with people outside of the party. For example, a bard with ranks in Sense Motive, Diplomacy, and Bluff can be an effective party face.

Lapak
2008-12-17, 04:09 PM
Ah, that's a good one. But my DM did something even better/worse.Very clever. And highlights just how dangerous a DM can be with a little bit of assistance from a willing player.

Tacoma
2008-12-17, 04:15 PM
Ah, that's a good one. But my DM did something even better/worse.

Our party cleric was also a politically connected member of her church, so when the local thieves' guild wanted someone to ransom for our minor artifact (The All Key), they popped her full of drow poison and lugged her away. Later, with the head of said church backing us up, we find and assault the Guild to rescue her. After slaughtering a bunch of guildsmen, we notice that the rest of the guild has taken up defensive positions around their "vault." This leaves us time to check through the rest of the guild hall, where we discover our cleric tied up in one room. We free her, kill a few guildsmen for good measure, and consider the matter solved.

We continue adventuring in the same town (Ptolus, if you're interested) and I think about the possibility that the guild might try to steal the All Key anyways. Since it gave a temporary negative level when we carried it around, we left it in a nice lead-lined chest we had found, hidden in the basement of my home base (the tavern where I had been raised). The cleric mentioned that she could probably get the Head Priest to look after the All Key while we were adventuring. This seemed like a good idea to me, but I wasn't going to take any chances. I got a custom-made lead lined chest I could carry around with an Amazing Lock (yes, DC 40) and put the All Key inside. Confident it couldn't be scried, I took it to the Head Priest, watched him put it in his private safe, and wore the key around my neck.

That night, we all stayed in the cathedral so that we would be nearby in case anything went wrong. In the morning, the chest was gone!

What happened?
The Guild had hired a doppleganger to impersonate our cleric, in order to find out where we were keeping the All Key and to steal it for them. Since there was a break between the session when the cleric was kidnapped and when we went to rescue us, the DM spoke to her, via email, and asked her to play the doppleganger. Since the doppleganger had plenty of time to read her mind, this wasn't a big deal. To boot, the doppleganger was a low-level cleric of some trickster god so that he could use our Wand of CLW and cast some low-level spells.

Despite fighting a large combat with the doppleganger backing us, we never noticed that "our cleric" wasn't doing her usual summoning-gig and was only using low-level spells. Personally, I had assumed that she had been captured low on spells, and didn't give it a second thought. The doppleganger had gotten us to both reveal where the All Key was, and also get it placed in a more convenient carrying case. All he had to do next was walk up to the Head Priest disguised as me and ask for the case in the morning before the rest of us got up.

So we lost our minor artifact (which we needed for our next dungeon-crawl), got chumped by the Thieves' Guild, and were totally played by our DM and the cleric's player - a novice roleplayer to boot!

This was so good and then I realized what you did. You didn't do what I thought - keep the real key on your person while putting a fake key in the lead chest in the cathedral - you kept the key TO the chest which had the real key in it.

I was thinking you got a tiny lead box, put the key in it, wore it around your neck under your plate armor, and waited to see who would steal the chest from the cathedral.

Devils_Advocate
2008-12-17, 11:28 PM
Yeah, the only one with any ranks in Sense Motive was gone that week. Thing is, none of them even attempted to roll it, not even the halfling who knew that it was a trick.
Players shouldn't have to declare that they're making a Sense Motive roll. Like Spot and Listen rolls, you should call for them when appropriate. Or roll them secretly for the characters, so as to avoid unnecessarily giving your players metagame information.

Of course, they'll still know that you are rolling, so you can go even further and do what Person Man suggests. But that robs you of opportunities to freak your players out just by rolling dice for no reason. :smallamused: (Also, it doesn't seem to me like you should be able to take 10 on "notice" type skills. It certainly doesn't seem realistic that the group's likelihood of noticing someone would depend entirely on the highest Spot modifier, and bringing 5 extra sets of eyes with him doesn't help the one guy with the highest Spot mod at all.)

I'd like to play in a game where all the players subscribed to this attitude with the DM completely unaware. The train wreck involved would be hilarious.
DM: So, before we start, why don't you guys describe your characters a bit for me? Tell me their races, classes, personalities, goals. What do they do, what do they hope to accomplish?
Player 1: I made a greedy and opportunistic goblin rogue. His long-term goal is to acquire vast amounts of wealth so he can retire to a life of luxury and hedonism.
Player 2: I made a human dread necromancer. He's looking to eventually obtain a vast army of powerful undead so he can force people to do whatever he wants.
Player 3: I made a human cleric of Erythnul. He's strongly devoted to the path of killing things and taking their stuff.
Player 4: My orcish barbarian is mostly good at brutally slaughtering things, which is also his favorite activity. His long-term goal is to brutally slaughter lots of things.
DM: ... Um. OK. Good. Obviously you guys have talked to each other and created characters that will work well together as a group. That's great. They definitely have, um, a sort of unifying theme going. ... Um, could you guys maybe discuss strategy or something amongst yourselves for the next, like... ten minutes or so? I think I may want to tweak a few plot hooks and encounters just a tad. To, um, tailor them more specifically to your group. If there's no objection?
Player 3: Yeah, OK, that's cool.
Player 4: Totally feel free to cut down on any lead-up to killing things.
Player 2: And then turning them into zombies.
Player 1: And getting lots of treasuere!

Vazzaroth
2008-12-18, 12:12 AM
I love it!! I'm only disapointed I didn't think of it first.

Seconded. Genius. Props and such, Alysar.

@Tacoma: I lol'd.We had a campaign like this. We dubbed it "The Evil Campaign". My character's name was Varrin the Slasher, and his reputation as a ruthless slaughterer of entire towns preceded him. :smallamused: