PDA

View Full Version : Gamma World Adventure 20XD6: OOC

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-16, 06:41 PM
Play by Post "Etiquette"

I hope I don't sound too shrill, but I think we should lay some basic rules out for these games. I don't want to be a Nazi about this, but I don't want this game to simply fizzle out and die due to inertia.

1) You should not let more than 48 hours go before posting.
Even if you aren't going to do anything, you should at least write "I'm here, I'm reading all this but simply waiting to see what happens." If you don't post, we don't know if you are simply not reading the tread, don't have internet connection, can't get on Giantitp because the servers are down, have simply walked out of the game because you thought it was boring, ect. In short, it is annoying, and somewhat insulting to the DM, who is going through all this trouble to post material that you are not responding to. It is also insulting to the other players, who want to see the game move forward and not stall out because one person is not posting. This is especially annoying during combat.

2) If you cannot post for a time, because you don't have access to the internet, let the DM know.
The PC can go in "dummy mode" so the story does not lose momentum. That is, the PC is under DM control, but performs only very basic tasks. The PC does not make any spectacular leaps of logic to solve a puzzle the DM has created, and the PC does not make any genius combat manuevers. For the most part, the PC simply attacks whatever enemy is closest to it, or aids allies that are badly wounded. The DM-controlled PC can respond to requests made by other Player-controlled PC, such as "hey, so-in-so, you know a lot about engineering, what does this contraption do?"

That's all, really. I myself try to check the message boards at least once a day (in reality it is whenever I get a chance, up to four times a da). I can't make everybody else do that, but I think this is simply common courtesy.

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-16, 07:00 PM
The community in which you will start the game (Calsag) is small, housing roughly 40 families. It’s primary industry is fishing and there are not too many learned people in the village. Archaic Technology is the most prevalent type, although a voluntary militia does have access to some firearms. It is located about 20 miles from the nuked-out city of Chicago at the confluence of the (now choked with silt) Illinois and Michigan canal and the Des Plaines River.
So...what are you all doing in Calsag? Were you born there? Just passing through? Working there?

Rettu Skcollob
2008-12-16, 07:43 PM
Irfan's just passing through the small town. It doesn't have anything in the way of tech to interest him, but he's been able to hang around for a few days and help the few sick or wounded people in town as best he can. There hasn't been much to do lately, (Despite getting close to hitting it off with the daughter of a man laid down with a broken leg) and he's thinking of leaving pretty soon. There's little enough work in the town as it is, especially for an outsider. There's no-one else willing to pay even his extremely low rates for medical treatment, (He sells medicine and antibiotics at cost to small towns like this.) so there isn't much left keeping him there.

BDEYE
2008-12-16, 08:52 PM
Dog's only motivation for being anywhere near a human settlement is to get access to fresh water, which he still needs despite his ability to get by eating soil and wood. Whatever supply he was drinking from before has been defouled, forcing him to sneak into town by night and try to scavenge something drinkable. Townspeople have likely found suspicious piles of shorn hair on the outskirts of town.

Otogi
2008-12-16, 08:55 PM
I think The Dragon has spent his time here for about a month or two. He's been steadily trying to convince the people of the town to construct more structured rules and to build in community, and for a few people it's worked, but not everybody's willing to give up their freedoms so somebody else can have it. He's more or less a swindler of beliefs. Should anybody in the game know him?

EDIT: What's the racial background of this development?

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-16, 09:40 PM
Mostly stock human, with some inevitable mutations thrown in the mix. Nothing too horrendous though; everybody gets along fine.

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-16, 10:07 PM
Otogi: You know the "Mayor," Tom. This village doesn't really have any type of government, he is the Mator by popular decree alone.

If you want, he could be a "Contact." He has some power in the town, but not the mantle of absolute authority.

Otogi
2008-12-16, 10:13 PM
It depends, I guess. Does everyone else get contacts, and if so, how many/

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-16, 10:45 PM
Yeah; because you are a Charismatic hero. See pg. 211 for info on "contacts."

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-16, 10:46 PM
I mean only Charismatic heroes have contacts. Mayor Tom would be an "Information contact."

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-16, 10:48 PM
Oh yeah...you all start with 6 Action Points. (I'm assuming you used all your Action Points up in previous levels.)

All 6 Hero types get 5 + 1/2 level AP at each level; therefore you get 6.

Otogi
2008-12-16, 11:04 PM
Alright, sure.

Jokes
2008-12-17, 02:02 AM
Doc has been in town for a few weeks, it's on his usual tour of duty, fixing up the inhabitants, doing check-ups and doing (or removing, a job he finds more fulfilling) implants for those that can afford it.

I guess Doc and Irfan would have met or been working together.

Are there any advanced classes other than those in d20 modern PHB and Gamma world allowed? The Gamma world ones don't really cater for Luddites :smallbiggrin: But Field Medic is probably what I'll end up taking. There is one in Machines and Mutants, Robots Bane that looks interesting.

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-17, 11:23 AM
Jokes:

Is Machines and Mutants somewhere where I can download it absolutely free? If so, you can use it. I don't want to have to buy that many more books to run this game.

souldoubt
2008-12-17, 12:40 PM
Natsuko is here looking for her sister, of course. She spends most of her time asking around, her charming but somewhat limited capacity for verbal exchange causing both bemusement and mild amusement among the locals she has approached.

I don't know the local attitude towards self-willed machines, but since Natsuko's appearance and manner seem relatively harmless, besides the fact that she carries a weapon (which I'd guess most travelers/visitors to the town do anyway), I imagine that so far she hasn't been hassled. The people she's encountered have either thought her a quaint novelty (if they realize/believe she is actually a self-willed machine) or a weirdo/simpleton (if they don't) and left her mostly to her own devices.

Natsuko has just arrived in town, and her presence has not become widespread knowledge yet.

souldoubt
2008-12-17, 02:41 PM
Is Machines and Mutants somewhere where I can download it absolutely free? If so, you can use it. I don't want to have to buy that many more books to run this game.

I checked and you can find it on that same page I linked in the second post of the recruitment thread. I just downloaded it myself. I think there's some other Gamma World stuff there that people can take a look at too.

EDIT: Re-link (http://4megaupload.com/download_file.php?qq=gamma%20world%20d20&file=1115156&desc=D20+Modern+-+Gamma+World+-++Play..pdf).

EDIT 2: Cryptic Alliances and Unknown Enemies looks like it could be useful for Gamemastering.

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-17, 05:49 PM
Okay, just for the record, I'm cool with using stuff from the link that Souldoubt provided.

From a philosophical point of view, however, I'm more interested in actually playing this game than looking for rules variations from the far-flung corners of the internet.

Otogi
2008-12-17, 06:18 PM
Which then opens the question: when are we going to play?

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-17, 07:45 PM
I'm waiting for puctheplayfull

BDEYE
2008-12-18, 04:46 PM
Still attending. Ready for action.

souldoubt
2008-12-18, 10:01 PM
Ready for action.

Liar. Dog doesn't have his skill points allocated yet. :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Jokes
2008-12-19, 09:20 AM
Okay, just for the record, I'm cool with using stuff from the link that Souldoubt provided.

From a philosophical point of view, however, I'm more interested in actually playing this game than looking for rules variations from the far-flung corners of the internet.

I was asking because I wasn't sure if I should burn skill points in Knowledge: Technology (advanced). Ah, which reminds me, Field medics class skill lists Knowledge: Technology. Converted to Gamma world, would this be Pre-war or advanced? Again, I need to know if its going to be cross-class (so I should start putting ranks in now) or a class skill (only bother when I get into FM).

Other than that, I'm good to go :smallbiggrin:

Rettu Skcollob
2008-12-19, 09:27 AM
I guess Doc and Irfan would have met or been working together.

That'd be cool. I wonder what Doc's attitude would be to Irfan's providing of medical services at cost/free will be?

Sorry about not posting for a little while, I thought I'd bookmarked this page, but I hadn't.

Jokes
2008-12-19, 09:35 AM
That'd be cool. I wonder what Doc's attitude would be to Irfan's providing of medical services at cost/free will be?

"What? This is an outrage! Get the hell out of my town!" :smalltongue:

Rettu Skcollob
2008-12-19, 09:40 AM
"What? This is an outrage! Get the hell out of my town!" :smalltongue:

"Ah, it's nice to meet a fellow practitioner of the medical ar-aaaaa! Stop hitting me with that stick!" :smalleek:

*Flees*

Jokes
2008-12-19, 09:51 AM
I'm sure your patients get what they pay for :smallwink:

Come to think of it, I'm gonna repost Doc (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=96765) here so people can find it.

Rettu Skcollob
2008-12-19, 10:02 AM
I might as well do the same (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=95506).

Irfan really only comes into his element when dealing with tech, machinery and computers. He's also a passable dancer and makes a mean omelet.

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-19, 11:17 AM
I was asking because I wasn't sure if I should burn skill points in Knowledge: Technology (advanced). Ah, which reminds me, Field medics class skill lists Knowledge: Technology. Converted to Gamma world, would this be Pre-war or advanced? Again, I need to know if its going to be cross-class (so I should start putting ranks in now) or a class skill (only bother when I get into FM).

Other than that, I'm good to go :smallbiggrin:

It would be Tech: Advanced, as you'd be trained in the most advanced medical science available.

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-19, 11:25 AM
Rules stuff:

Many of you haven't added your Defense Bonus to your AC. You'll want to do that.

Many of you also get one extra HP. Calculation for HP are: Full Hit Die at 1st level, half Hit Die rounded down at even number levels and half Hit Die at odd levels rounded up. In other words, if you were a d6 Hit Die Hero class, it would come out to getting 3.5 HP per level.

Rettu Skcollob
2008-12-19, 11:28 AM
Fixed. Still waiting on Puc? Maybe chuck him a PM.

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-19, 11:29 AM
Because puctheplayfull hasn't posted for some time, I'm going to assume that he doesn't want to play. Are you guys ready to start the adventure this weekend?

Rettu Skcollob
2008-12-19, 11:31 AM
I'm ready to start whenever, but if you begin on Saturday, (GMT +8) I most likely won't be posting, as I have plans that'll eat up the whole day, and most of the night.

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-19, 11:35 AM
I'm ready to start whenever, but if you begin on Saturday, (GMT +8) I most likely won't be posting, as I have plans that'll eat up the whole day, and most of the night.

It's cool, I know you are in Australia (I am in Chicago.) My previous experience is that having people from Europe and Australia in games is that it actually doesn't effect the game play all that much. I'm a grad student, so I have bizarre hours, and I plan on looking at this thread throughout the day.

Rettu Skcollob
2008-12-19, 11:37 AM
Honestly; playing games on GitP is my favourite pastime, and I find that unless the DM and a couple of other players all log on at the same time, my posting rate often vastly outstrips the ones of those in similar timezones to the DM.

souldoubt
2008-12-19, 11:38 AM
Okay, I know I linked my character a few times in the last couple of threads, but to go ahead and jump on the bandwagon, here she is again (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=95489).

EDIT: I am also ready to start whenever.

Otogi
2008-12-19, 07:08 PM
I have shamefully delayed my response because I thought we were still waiting. Anyway, I and The Dragon are ready.

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-20, 03:58 PM
Here is the IC thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5512104#post5512104

BDEYE
2008-12-20, 06:22 PM
Thank you for your patience, everybody. I'm going to finish my char and post to the IC forum tonight.

Jokes
2008-12-20, 08:05 PM
I just made a couple of changes to Doc, traded Point Blank Shot for Light Armour Prof, and bought a bulletproof vest.

souldoubt
2008-12-20, 09:11 PM
I just made a couple of changes to Doc, traded Point Blank Shot for Light Armour Prof, and bought a bulletproof vest.

Considering that firing into melee is difficult and risky without Precise Shot, and Point Blank Shot leads to Precise Shot, I'd personally recommend sticking with the original if you want your rifle to be useful in most fights. But if the extra protection is worthwhile to you then go for it.

Jokes
2008-12-21, 12:35 AM
Considering that firing into melee is difficult and risky without Precise Shot, and Point Blank Shot leads to Precise Shot, I'd personally recommend sticking with the original if you want your rifle to be useful in most fights. But if the extra protection is worthwhile to you then go for it.

Hmm, you know, I think I will stick with PBS, and take LAP with the bonus feat from Dedicated. It's just that LAP is a requirement for Robots Bane, and I took it without really thinking it through enough.

Edit: Lucky I forgot to save my sheet before I went out for xmas lunch :smallwink:

BDEYE
2008-12-21, 10:06 AM
Just for the sake of everyone else's planning, I've decided to ditch the Tough/Fast multiclass idea and just go into the Survivalist prestige class from the GW book as soon as possible.

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-21, 11:02 AM
Just for the sake of everyone else's planning, I've decided to ditch the Tough/Fast multiclass idea and just go into the Survivalist prestige class from the GW book as soon as possible.

You Aussies celebrate X-mas before us Americans? Interesting.

Jokes
2008-12-21, 06:14 PM
You Aussies celebrate X-mas before us Americans? Interesting.

I just have a very large family, so we can't celebrate xmas day with everyone on the day.

But technically, yes, while you Americans are sound asleep I will be having lunch on christmas day.:smallwink:

S.K.U.M.M.
2008-12-26, 06:27 PM
Is anybody here?

If somebody wants to do something, speak up. (I.e. "Hey, where would somebody find old tech around here? Where can somebody make money around here?) I'm trying not to railroad you guys; I have several story ideas, and the good part of playing by post is that the DM can make up scenarios as they go along.

Rettu Skcollob
2008-12-26, 06:38 PM
I expect people are still dealing with all their Christmas commitments. Mine are pretty much done though, I'll probably post later today.

souldoubt
2008-12-27, 06:06 PM
It's starting to look like Natsuko has the android equivalent of ADD. :smalltongue: Or at least her brain is running enough data simultaneously that it seems like ADD to an outside observer.

puctheplayfull
2008-12-31, 12:56 AM
Hey Otogi, I am loving The Dragons rustic style of speech. Not quite Arendish, but I suppose that is a good thing since they were really crazy, and way to formal... long winded... big mouthed... they talked too much. Lol.

Jokes
2009-01-03, 12:34 AM
I'm up for a "later that day" if people want to skip drinks and head straight out.

BDEYE
2009-01-03, 02:17 AM
Works for me.

puctheplayfull
2009-01-03, 05:15 PM
Works. My character would be a rather quiet drinker anyway.

S.K.U.M.M.
2009-01-03, 07:24 PM
Okay, I've been pretty open-ended so far. What exactly is it you guys want to do?

puctheplayfull
2009-01-03, 07:34 PM
I think the Doc and Irfan want to explore the waste for people to heal and tech to salvage. My character is of course dealing with his own background the easiest way he can, keep moving, and will be going with as a body guard. I'm not sure if they are planning on going somewhere specific, but Doc said west.

puctheplayfull
2009-01-03, 08:23 PM
Oh!! Hey, I almost forgot, Happy Winter-een-mas guys.

souldoubt
2009-01-04, 02:33 PM
I'm all for the time lapse if that's what people want. Natsuko wouldn't drink anyway.

Jokes
2009-01-06, 01:23 AM
Go West, young man! You said something about bandits out that way. So that sounds interesting.

BDEYE
2009-01-06, 08:42 AM
Sounds good. Dog is going to follow Natsuko.

souldoubt
2009-01-09, 12:26 PM
Okay, I think everyone should be well and done with holiday stuff, so let's pick up the pace on this game a bit.

It sounds like out west there would be people to heal and probably faux-mongol horse nomads to fight, but probably no tech to salvage. Natsuko is not going to have any real opinion about the direction of travel, but if anyone thinks west is lame, speak now or forever hold your peace.

If no on has any objections, S.K.U.M.M. please assume that we're all heading West.

S.K.U.M.M.
2009-01-09, 04:22 PM
Okay:

Who is still in this game?

BDEYE
2009-01-09, 04:53 PM
Yo. (expanded to ten characters)

puctheplayfull
2009-01-09, 06:54 PM
I am still in the game. As I said before, Adrian just has to keep moving, doesn't matter where, which is why he is more than happy to head west and act as protection for the two Doctors or in any direction they want but south really.

Jokes
2009-01-09, 10:43 PM
Still in, but I'm not really used to 'free form' style, so I'm not really sure what to do :smallredface:

Rettu Skcollob
2009-01-09, 10:56 PM
I'm doing Science and I'm still alive.

Irfan would much prefer to go where there's some tech to salvage and investigate, he really is useless in a fight though.

souldoubt
2009-01-10, 12:17 AM
Still in, but I'm not really used to 'free form' style, so I'm not really sure what to do :smallredface:

The impression I get is that once we actually get going somewhere stuff will begin to happen, but our illustrious GM was waiting for us to agree where we're going. (Correct me if I'm wrong, S.K.U.M.M.)

Irfan would much prefer to go where there's some tech to salvage and investigate, he really is useless in a fight though.

If Irfan's the only one with a real preference, as seems to be the case, maybe we should head in whichever direction would be the most likely to yield salvageable tech.

Any objections?

puctheplayfull
2009-01-10, 12:34 AM
Except south. I will voice that preference if it comes up and explain that I came from that direction and there is little there.

S.K.U.M.M.
2009-01-10, 08:06 PM
Well, it would appear that the only place left to go, by process of elimination, is the ruined city of Chicago.

BDEYE
2009-01-10, 08:41 PM
Fine with me.

souldoubt
2009-01-10, 09:16 PM
Or we could go north. But the Ruins of Chicago sound more likely to draw scavengers and techies such as the likes of (some of) us.

Unless Doc would prefer to go to a more populated region where his healing skills would be in demand? I know he isn't too fond of technology....

@S.K.U.M.M. - Forgive me if this sounds like backseat GMing, but, in the interest of keeping the game moving forward, unless anyone objects within the next 48 hours I'd recommend that you go ahead and post with the assumption that that we're going Post-Apocalyptic Indiana Jonesin'.

puctheplayfull
2009-01-11, 03:18 AM
That sounds dangerous and isolated, I'm in.

souldoubt
2009-01-13, 09:34 PM
I apologize for the self-important insert, but I finally uploaded Natsuko (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=95489)'s character portrait (drawn by someone with more artistic skill than me). Go admire it (or not). :smallbiggrin: You can right click to view the full image which is less horribly pixelated.

puctheplayfull
2009-01-14, 01:55 AM
Sweet!!! Nice portrait. I am rather lazy, and will probably hunt a portrait. Hey Mr. GM sir... can I have a hat? I kept thinking I had one searching for a pic, but forgot to buy one. Just an old beat up hat like this:

http://pro.corbis.com/images/CB019036.jpg?size=572&uid={494FD4C5-0BA1-48A3-96EB-7033D48A9D6A} Or http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3296021/2/istockphoto_3296021_battered_old_cowboy_hat.jpg

only faded black to match my coat? It is more an ascetic thing than anything else.

S.K.U.M.M.
2009-01-14, 08:34 AM
Sweet!!! Nice portrait. I am rather lazy, and will probably hunt a portrait. Hey Mr. GM sir... can I have a hat?

Go for it man.

souldoubt
2009-01-20, 12:54 PM
Okay, how exactly do we go about rolling Climb checks etc. to scale/cross the gap? I'm thinking with the rope linking us, it would be like everyone was Aiding the people next to them. However, that get's kind of complicated, with everyone having to roll 2-3 Climb checks, and figuring out which checks are aiding whom. A simpler way to do it would be to just say everyone has a +2 circumstance bonus (except the two at the ends?) and be done with it. If someone rolls low and falls, the two people on either side of them would then roll a Climb check to keep their hold. Unless we can all reasonably take 10.

S.K.U.M.M.
2009-01-20, 04:48 PM
Because you all created a genius method of getting across the bridge, you can all take 10 and cross the chasm without having to roll anything.

puctheplayfull
2009-02-12, 02:29 AM
Hey, do any of you use twitter?

Rettu Skcollob
2009-02-12, 02:34 AM
No, but I'm always on MSN, whether I'm doing work or slacking off.

souldoubt
2009-02-14, 12:28 AM
Hey, do any of you use twitter?

I try to avoid as many forms of communication distractions as possible. :smalltongue: