PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] HALP! 4th level Paladin needs it!

Random NPC
2008-12-16, 07:08 PM
So....

After some time of dabbling in 4th edition with my new players, I decide it's time to crack open those 3.5 books. They were flabbergasted by the complexity and they enjoyed it. We spend 5 hours creating three characters.

Since they are decent with the average mechanics and since they lack people, I decided to throw in some Gestalt at them. A gestalt in the Legend of Zelda Universe (Ocarina of Time)

So they rolled a Rito(Raptoran) Ranger/Rogue, a Hylian (Half-Elf with some bonus skills) Paladin/Fighter and a Goron (Goliath with Slam and Roll!) Cleric/Monk.

The Goron quickly figured out how to become a Melee power house with the Strength Domain and his enhanced size, and it's quite the amazing feat considering he's the newest member and even newer to RPGs.

The Rito went a total skill monkey focusing on ranged attacks and he devised a tactic with the Goron to help him jump in the air. So now he'll be the "Fastball Special".

Then, the Hylian. He wanted to be Paladin/Fighter since he loves Link. And I allowed it. Then he goes on to create a Mounted Kill Machine.

This is a problem. I do not mind the huge damage he can give with his lance, but I do mind that the little adventure I designed has little place for horses.

I don't want to gimp him, nor do I want to make another adventure....

So, what's a good "Link-like" build for him?

tl;dr version: I need a non-mounted build for paladin//fighter at 4th level, plz

Tokiko Mima
2008-12-16, 07:14 PM
What are the restrictions? Core only? Because if you have access to the Tome of Battle, I'd recommend Crusader or Warblade instead of Paladin or Fighter, respectively. They epitomize master of blades and the maneuvers they get would be a good substitute for the insane amount of versatility Link has with his strange relic items.

Random NPC
2008-12-16, 07:16 PM
What are the restrictions? Core only? Because if you have access to the Tome of Battle, I'd recommend Crusader or Warblade instead of Paladin or Fighter, respectively. They epitomize master of blades and the maneuvers they get would be a good substitute for the insane amount of versatility Link has with his strange relic items.

I would allow one side, but not the other. And for him the fighter side is pretty settle, so maybe a Crusader//Fighter, but then again, what can he do with the Fighter side?

EDIT: Not so many restrictions. All of the Completes, I believe, and various assorted books, including Tome of Battle.

ForzaFiori
2008-12-16, 07:18 PM
I would allow one side, but not the other. And for him the fighter side is pretty settle, so maybe a Crusader//Fighter, but then again, what can he do with the Fighter side?

the fighter side will be to get all the feats to make the crusader side awesome.

Tacoma
2008-12-16, 07:20 PM
Pick a weapon. Specialize in it. You're low level, you can't do much or qualify for much.

Side note: it's okay to have a party that's missing an Arcane caster or a skillmonkey. You can kind of get by with a Bard pulling those jobs plus minor healing.

Heck, if you did a Bard, a Druid, and a Fighter you'd be set.

That said, Gestalt might ruin them for 3E and they might think regular characters are funky and lame. I've never used Gestalt in play or seen it used in play. It just seems like you're playing siamese twins joined at the feat (groan).

Yeah Link is definitely an Elven Fighter. I was going to say Bard but ... maybe pick up one level of Bard for the music and the UMD. Link is mainly about the toys.

KevLar
2008-12-16, 07:28 PM
Charging Smite: Paladin variant feature from PHB II.
You lose the special mount and gain an extra 2xCha bonus damage if you charge and smite (effectively, tripling your smite damage when charging). Could work well in gestalt, using the fighter feats for a charging build.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-12-16, 07:30 PM
Make him a Halfling or other small race. Then he can ride a vicious dog into combat, rather than a horse.

Tacoma
2008-12-16, 07:36 PM
Or, should he gain Leadership later, he can ride his Cohort, a Half-Orc!

This is nice because he could use Ride skill/feat to avert damage to the orc.

Does this mean a familiar with Ride can avert damage to the Wizard he's riding?

Keld Denar
2008-12-16, 08:10 PM
I'd actually say go Paladin//Crusader. You get better Cha synergy, and the 2 classes are pretty good together. First level do Extra Granted Maneuver, and 3rd level do PA. When he hits 6th level, Divine Might gives him +cha to damage for a round in return for a turn attempt. All of this can be used effectively while hitting with Crusader Strikes. If you wanted to squeak something out, 4 levels of Bard on the Crusader side with Song of the White Raven would net you a decent IC bonus, which can be further augemented with Song of the Heart, Inspirational Boost, and a Badge of Valor. Keep advancing full Pally on the other side, and consider picking up the Awesome Smite feat or Battle Blessings from CChamp at some point.