PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Metamagics

Ixahinon
2008-12-16, 07:47 PM
Scenario:

Human Mage took Sudden Empower and Sudden Maximize as a feat. He can only use the metamagics 1/Day, but he can basically Empower and Maximize a Fireball, and still keep it third level while taking the 'normal' feats would require him to bump that spell 9th level.

Problem:

Is a Sudden Empowered, Sudden Maximized Fireball treated as a 9th level spell for the effects of dispelling, or a 3rd level spell. I'm assuming 3rd level spell, as it is not actually taking higher spell slots, and any other way would be incredably powerful, even for mage standards.

Edit: Hmm..now that I think about it, I don't think fireball can be dispelled, if I recall correctly. It's an instantanous effect. In that case, subistute the fireball spell for some spell that can be dispelled.

Tacoma
2008-12-16, 07:48 PM
Generally metamagic other than Heighten Spell doesn't increase the spell
s level for any purpose other than the memorization slot it takes up.

Save DC doesn't go up, etc.

This is why they included Heighten Spell.

Ixahinon
2008-12-16, 07:50 PM
Generally metamagic other than Heighten Spell doesn't increase the spell
s level for any purpose other than the memorization slot it takes up.

Save DC doesn't go up, etc.

This is why they included Heighten Spell.

*slaps forehead* I'm stoopid.

RebelRogue
2008-12-16, 07:55 PM
Edit: Hmm..now that I think about it, I don't think fireball can be dispelled, if I recall correctly. It's an instantanous effect. In that case, subistute the fireball spell for some spell that can be dispelled.
It can be counterspelled, though.

Douglas
2008-12-16, 08:01 PM
It can be counterspelled, though.
And it's still the same spell, too, so even a Heightened-to-9th Fireball with every sudden metamagic in the book piled on can be countered with just a regular Fireball out of a 3rd level slot with no metamagic at all.

Also, spell level is completely irrelevant to dispelling. Only caster level affects the DC.