PDA

View Full Version : oriental campaign. i need help

Hurgon Burgon!
2008-12-16, 08:18 PM
I'm going to be running an oriental style campaign and was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I have the following ideas:
This "world" is under imperial rule.
Ninjas are secretive and assassins. With no known ties to the government
There are religious and fighting monks.
It's more of a Japanese based campaign.
Spirits and Demons are a big problem.

I dont know. thats just some basics i have. If anyone can help out, i'd appreciate it

Deth Muncher
2008-12-16, 09:12 PM
The Oriental Adventures 3.0 book is great, as well as the 3.5 Web Update. Start there.

UserClone
2008-12-16, 09:42 PM
I would go a step further and say check out the Rokugan Campaign setting. I think it was done by AEG. Excellent stuff.

Hurgon Burgon!
2008-12-17, 08:26 AM
I've been looking over the oriental 3.5 book. I'm going to stress that one the most due to the setting of the adventure.

Kaiyanwang
2008-12-17, 08:52 AM
Few informaition more:

- taint system has been updatet in Heroes of Horror

- OAdv has a web enhancement, MASHARPA, but it's for an indian flavour (has psionics too. Maybe you drop the idea now, but if you want to expand the campaign in the future, Secrets of Sarlona refluffed has weapon and mechanics good for Masharpa.

- MMV has 3 new ogre mages.

Hope can be useful.

PurinaDragonCho
2008-12-17, 10:21 AM
Not to be a jackhole or anything, but I wouldn't call it an "oriental" campaign. Why not simply call it a Japanese-inspired campaign, or whatever it is?

I don't really say this because some people find it offensive (though some do), I say it because the word "oriental" really doesn't mean much. Technically, everything East of Europe is part of the Orient. An Oriental campaign could be set in Turkey, for example.

Sorry for the threadjack, and the nitpicky response.

Hurgon Burgon!
2008-12-17, 11:06 AM
Few informaition more:

- taint system has been updatet in Heroes of Horror

- OAdv has a web enhancement, MASHARPA, but it's for an indian flavour (has psionics too. Maybe you drop the idea now, but if you want to expand the campaign in the future, Secrets of Sarlona refluffed has weapon and mechanics good for Masharpa.

- MMV has 3 new ogre mages.

Hope can be useful.

The thing im doing with magic is that the natives of this country have chi, but there could be spellcasters (wizards, necromancers, etc.) who have come and tought magic to them. I don't think I'm going to include psyonics, but im not sure yet.

Hurgon Burgon!
2008-12-17, 11:07 AM
Not to be a jackhole or anything, but I wouldn't call it an "oriental" campaign. Why not simply call it a Japanese-inspired campaign, or whatever it is?

I don't really say this because some people find it offensive (though some do), I say it because the word "oriental" really doesn't mean much. Technically, everything East of Europe is part of the Orient. An Oriental campaign could be set in Turkey, for example.

Sorry for the threadjack, and the nitpicky response.

its okay, i understand what you mean.

Egiam
2008-12-17, 11:24 AM
Totally go Psionics. Also see if you can get the books Complete Warrior and [I]Tome of Battle[I]. Complete has the Samurai, and TOB is completely asian style. Also seriously consider firearms. Check this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98537&highlight=Princess+mononoke

Kaiyanwang
2008-12-17, 11:26 AM
The thing im doing with magic is that the natives of this country have chi, but there could be spellcasters (wizards, necromancers, etc.) who have come and tought magic to them. I don't think I'm going to include psyonics, but im not sure yet.

Consider that OAdv has rules for Oriental themed spellcasters Wu Jen, Shugenja and Shaman.

Wu Jen has been Updated in Complete Arcane

Shugenja has been updated in Complete Divine

Shaman has has not bee updated (sorta mix cleric druid and monk. Nice but difficult to expand the spell list without break things)

Anyway, a multiclass monk / cloistered cleric (UA) fits well with the
wandering Bonze (Italian bonzo, Japanese Bozu) concept.

I'd recommend to use Oriental Adventures Samurai, it's better than the CW, and the Iaijutsu Focus skill is nice (and nasty if used properly).

In the book you'll find a class sorta mix Paladin, Monk and Barbarian (!!!), the Sohei. Sohei has been updated in Dragon Magazine #318, has well there are in the same issue other updates for the same campaign setting.

There is also an Honor System in Unhearthed Arcana, maybe could be useful, at least as a guideline.

I think psionics are good but only for indian flavour (even if a friend of mine refluffed Psywarrior as a Ninja. I suggested them only for Masharpa).

Athaniar
2008-12-17, 11:31 AM
I do think the CW samurai is generally regarded as... sub-par.

Noneoyabizzness
2008-12-17, 12:04 PM
oa samurai trumps cw samurai in flavor. power its a little better (featmonkeying! ancestral weapons!)

now even if you dont add psionics into it, would consider the soulknife. aside for wild talent, all they are are people who have weapons grade spirit stuff they discipline into shape. slip out wt with a feat that makes setting sense.

Hurgon Burgon!
2008-12-17, 03:26 PM
Totally go Psionics. Also see if you can get the books Complete Warrior and [I]Tome of Battle[I]. Complete has the Samurai, and TOB is completely asian style. Also seriously consider firearms. Check this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98537&highlight=Princess+mononoke

there is gunpowder in the campaign, but not everyone knows about it yet. its a rare thing to some people.