PDA

View Full Version : Pack Sled [peach]

xPANCAKEx
2008-12-17, 10:50 AM
Howdy playgrounders

*as fair warning this is my first homebrew so don't maul me too visciously for any glaring errors*

so thinking about the arctic settings (not just frostburn) - the obvious means of transport from a real world analogy would be a dogsled. The downside is, RAW, they cost about 1220 to put together, sled with dogs... and thats just cost prohibitive before 3rd level (and even then would pretty much take out all of your WBL allotment). Generous DMs might let you use standard guard dogs to draw it, but that will still clock in at about 220. Not exactly wallet friendly unless the entire party chips in

So for all the loners, drifts, and general nobby-no-mates out there, i present the packsled

PackSled
medium vehicle; Handle Animal +2; Spd drawn (clumsy);
Overall hp 30 (hardness 5); Overall AC 3; Ram 2d6; Face 10
ft. by 5 ft.; Height 5 ft.; Crew 1; Weight 150 lb., Cargo 0.5 ton;
Cost 15 gp.
Drawn across ice or snow, the sled is an almost entirely
exposed structure. 2 riding dogs, (or 4 guard dogs) can pull the sled over
ice or packed snow at a speed of 40 feet, even if it’s fully
loaded. Untracked snow slows the speed by one-half, and
deep snow cuts it to one-quarter
1 passenger may be carried, although their weight must be taken into account in the cargo. Attacks made by passengers incur a -2 penalty due to the confined nature of the packsled

savage away, playgrounders

DracoDei
2008-12-17, 10:02 PM
IRL I would think that the training for a sled dog would be easier than that for a war-mount dog or even a trained attack dog... do the Handle Animal rules reflect this?

What about the concept that the lead dog is the only one that needs a LOT of training since the rest just have to recognize the lead dog AS the lead dog and go where he goes?

xPANCAKEx
2008-12-18, 08:18 PM
does it seem fairly balanced/well priced to you playgrounders?

Innis Cabal
2008-12-18, 09:21 PM
There is something like this in frostburn, though it looks ok here as well

xPANCAKEx
2008-12-18, 09:22 PM
There is something like this in frostburn, though it looks ok here as well

frostburn has pretty much the standard sled from PHB last i checked?

RS14
2008-12-19, 12:12 AM
It looks fine. I'd certainly allow something like it.

I think the problem with the dogs is that a) they're overpriced, and b) the MM presents statistics only for small dogs and for large dogs trained for war. There's no large, untrained dog. I don't know much about sled dogs, but I'd imagine the training required is certainly less than for a war-trained mount. The way I see it, any commoner should be able to get a mutt with a bit of meat, and purebred working dogs should cost a bit of gold. 25GP sounds about right for just about any sort of dog with minimal training, except perhaps greyhounds and similar.