PDA

View Full Version : The Downloadable D&D Character Builder

exodus_dragon
2008-12-17, 10:54 AM
Ok I dont know if there is a thread about this already so if there is i appologize if not then would like to discuss it.

I downloaded the new D&D character builder and found it to be quite sweet. Of course its only a demo. But it puts all the 4ed rules into it and is quite easy to use. And there is supposed to be more programs to follow that allow you to create dungeons, and a program for actually building your character figurine that you can order. You supposed to be able to customize it and everything. Just wanted to know if anyone else has tested out the beta demo for this and what they think. Also curious as to what you think about all the programs making D&D a computer based game thats still very table top like. Its just computer generated and such.

dbmeboy
2008-12-17, 11:07 AM
I like the character builder except for the bugs still present, especially how it cuts off the bottom of the first page of the character sheet.

Hzurr
2008-12-17, 11:53 AM
Any chance you could post a screen-shot of you using the creator in action? I haven't seen any images of the character creator in several months, and I'm curious to see how it looks now.

Awesomologist
2008-12-17, 12:19 PM
If you have a PC you can download the Open Beta for free. It's only levels 1-3 so it's usefulness is limited.
If you're a subscriber to DDI then you'll get more levels unlocked sometime in mid January.

Mando Knight
2008-12-17, 12:38 PM
Here's what the Race page looks like on my computer...
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq128/Mando_Knight/DDCBBRace.jpg

And here's a Dragonborn Fighter at the equipment selection screen.
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq128/Mando_Knight/DDCBBEquip.jpg
Hm... he seems to only have 81 lbs of carrying capacity left for a normal load...

I like the thing... but I don't have the funds to buy a subscription to DDI.

lisiecki
2008-12-17, 02:06 PM
For the life of me
I have been unable to get this program to work for me in any way

RTGoodman
2008-12-17, 02:10 PM
For the life of me
I have been unable to get this program to work for me in any way

Yeah, neither have I. I just deleted the whole thing after trying for about an hour to get it to work a week or two ago. I may try again once they update it, but I'm not sure. I mean, yeah it's neat, but putting together a character (at low levels, anyway) is pretty easy in 4E.

Lord Herman
2008-12-17, 02:17 PM
Have you installed .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1? The Character Builder won't work without it.

Anyway, I've built a few characters with the builder, and I'm very impressed so far. The program looks and feels very professional. I'm really looking forward to the final version with all the levels.

Morty
2008-12-17, 02:34 PM
It looks preety good, even as a beta. Then again, before high levels it's neat but putting together a character is preety easy even without it. It's main advantages are keeping track of retraining and stat placement, I think.

lisiecki
2008-12-17, 02:39 PM
Yeah, neither have I. I just deleted the whole thing after trying for about an hour to get it to work a week or two ago. I may try again once they update it, but I'm not sure. I mean, yeah it's neat, but putting together a character (at low levels, anyway) is pretty easy in 4E.

True, but for some reason whenever i try to create a PC for pretty much any game, i have a brain freakout. Also i want this more for the races, from the screenshots ive seen it looks like MOST if not all of the races put out so far are on it.

Have you installed .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1? The Character Builder won't work without it.

Doing that right now, Had no idea i was supposed to (eventhough odds are it says it in big redletters some where)

Beleriphon
2008-12-17, 03:28 PM
True, but for some reason whenever i try to create a PC for pretty much any game, i have a brain freakout. Also i want this more for the races, from the screenshots ive seen it looks like MOST if not all of the races put out so far are on it.

True, all races currently in full production are available, as are the test artificer and barbarian for classes.

Doing that right now, Had no idea i was supposed to (eventhough odds are it says it in big redletters some where)

It actually tries to install it before the DDI Builder, the problem is that its clunky so just downloading from Microsoft is faster.

RTGoodman
2008-12-17, 03:41 PM

Indeed, that was apparently the problem. I noticed when I went to re-download the Character Builder that it actually told me that, but I guess I never noticed it before.

That said, it is pretty cool. It's gonna be GREAT for building high-level characters, I think, and I'm glad it has (or will have) stuff from all the books AND magazines so I don't have to search for stuff myself.

Istari
2008-12-17, 04:29 PM
mines not working for some reason
all I get is a black screen with a little box with links in it

lisiecki
2008-12-17, 04:30 PM
True, all races currently in full production are available, as are the test artificer and barbarian for classes.
It actually tries to install it before the DDI Builder, the problem is that its clunky so just downloading from Microsoft is faster.

V00T it is working! YAY!

Exarch
2008-12-17, 04:46 PM
I'm had a lot of fun messing around with it. If for no other reason, I love having every article compiled together in one place and not having to cross reference everything.

My only gripe is that it doesn't allow for alternative methods of stat creation. For instance, I can't type in I'm going to do 32 point buy or something. Other than that, everything goes together swimmingly.

Mando Knight
2008-12-17, 05:42 PM
My only gripe is that it doesn't allow for alternative methods of stat creation. For instance, I can't type in I'm going to do 32 point buy or something. Other than that, everything goes together swimmingly.

It'll probably be included in the houserule options when the system is complete.

exodus_dragon
2008-12-23, 07:05 AM
I'm had a lot of fun messing around with it. If for no other reason, I love having every article compiled together in one place and not having to cross reference everything.

it does sort of lol...it has the option to do it homeruled where you roll for the stats...you can do the point by .... or you can do preset...or auto set