PDA

View Full Version : Police outside my house. (No, I'm not getting arrested)

Adumbration
2008-12-17, 03:42 PM
So, just as we - me and my family - were about our preparations for the night, the doorbell rang. My dad went to open. It was a police officer, apparently. I didn't see him. Apparently some people (or someone, this is second-hand, I didn't hear what he said) are "playing with guns", and we were told to stay away from windows and remain calm. The police was apparently in full gear with helmet and body armor, and from what my dad just looked is still outside our house on the street.

Speculation is abound; perhaps it's a siege situation of some sort. This might take a while. It could be that we'll be evacuated. Once the situation is resolved, however, the police will come and tell us.

I have absolutely no idea what this could be. I live in a fairly small town in Finland, in an area where there are no "bad neighbourhoods."

Just thought to let you know. I'll keep you posted.

Fostire
2008-12-17, 03:45 PM
:smalleek: That's kind of scary

Adumbration
2008-12-17, 03:47 PM
Jeah, the funny thing is, they came in silent. We heard no sirens, saw no lights.

Kroy
2008-12-17, 03:48 PM
Finland, Finland, Finland,
The country where I want to be,
Pony trekking or camping,
Or just watching TV
Finland, Finland, Finland,
It's the country for me.

(Couldn't help myself)

Adumbration
2008-12-17, 03:49 PM
I'm sorry, I don't get the joke.

Occasional Sage
2008-12-17, 03:50 PM
Eesh, freaky. Hope everything turns out OK!

Kroy
2008-12-17, 03:51 PM
I'm sorry, I don't get the joke.

Does this help?:smallconfused: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgTyVkpJY3g

Adumbration
2008-12-17, 03:56 PM
Does this help?:smallconfused: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgTyVkpJY3g

I'm surprised, I've never heard this one before. Very nice.

EDIT: Since there has been no dramatic turn of events, we're going to sleep now. I'll be back tomorrow.

RS14
2008-12-17, 05:25 PM
Good luck not getting shot and all that.

Reminds me of two things, both of which occurred during a year I spent in England. The first was a murder just down the block---the police found the corpse and came by to ask if we had heard anything. The second was a run-in with a "Royal Ordinance Corp Bomb Disposal Unit." We'd pulled off the M1 at a rest stop, and they waved us over immediately. Apparently a car parked by the on-ramp was suspicious. They got out their robot to investigate, but it turned out to be a false alarm.

Metal Head
2008-12-17, 06:13 PM
Playing with guns? That's pretty vague...

FoE
2008-12-17, 06:18 PM
Heh.

The last time I went home to see my mom ... it was early in the summer ... this guy had gotten into an 'altercation' with the cops next door. And by altercation, I mean he got shot to death. With bullets. Don't feel too bad for him, though; he charged the cops with knives duct-taped to his hands.

So all day the street was blocked off, and the cops came a-knockin' next door. So did the media, but my mom didn't answer in that instance.

We did get to see her house on the news, and we had a good laugh about the shooting. :smalltongue:

Linkavitch
2008-12-17, 06:32 PM
And by altercation, I mean he got shot to death. With bullets.

No, I thought he would get shot to death with peanuts. (sorry. sarcasm is my strong suit.)

Uncle Festy
2008-12-17, 07:51 PM
Good luck, Adumb! :smallbiggrin:
… don't get shot or anything… :smallfrown:

Raiser Blade
2008-12-17, 07:57 PM
No, I thought he would get shot to death with peanuts. (sorry. sarcasm is my strong suit.)

Well you may want to take note that saying you are being sarcastic totally ruins the effect of the sarcasm.

FoE
2008-12-17, 08:00 PM
I was going for a Dr. McNinja reference, actually.

"I can't believe they're all dead.

Killed by their one weakness.

Bullets.

From a gun."

Doran_Liadon
2008-12-17, 08:05 PM
When i was younger me and a couple of friends were having a sleepover. While we were playing D&D the phone rang and my friend answered it. He looked scared and listened to it and then hung up. He told us it was a recording saying somthing like some "Killers and rapists" were on the loose in the area (we live in a nice township too). He also heard the recording say "Lock the doors and hide your children." So we went to tell his mom who had also heard the recording. Turned out to be a recording about thanking people for voting for Schwarzenegger. And there were no killers or rapists and it said nothing about locking doors and "hug your children." It was kinda funny...

SoD
2008-12-17, 11:54 PM
Whoa. Geez man, look after yourself. I hope it all gets sorted out soon!

Adumbration
2008-12-17, 11:56 PM
Ok, so I'm all right, and I've found out what it was about. Apparently someone fired shots at the roof at a house at the other end of our street. The police are still looking for the guy, but they're not worried. He has no former criminal record and he never really threatened people who were present.

SoD
2008-12-19, 12:23 AM
...he never threatened them, he just fired shots at their roof?

reorith
2008-12-19, 12:35 AM

you can shoot someone to death with shot
or slugs
or flechettes
or a stack of dimes

bullets aren't the only projectiles in the world :(

Krrth
2008-12-19, 09:52 AM
...For real fun, try this: A number of years ago, I was playing on the computer when the front door opened. Someone in full swat gear(including weapons) walked in, waved, and went into the kitchen. A few moments later, they walked back out with a couple of two-liters of soda and glasses. They waved again and went out the front door.
It was all good, and once I realized what was going on I was cool, but I was kinda stuck in WTF mode for a little bit....

Jack Squat
2008-12-19, 12:03 PM
Adumbration: Glad everyone's alright. Do they know who did it? Unfortunately, this'll toss a bad light on responsible gun owners.

Krrth: umm...what? A SWAT guy went in to your house and stole some pop and cups? What was the SWAT team doing over by you anyways?

Krrth
2008-12-19, 12:20 PM
Adumbration: Glad everyone's alright. Do they know who did it? Unfortunately, this'll toss a bad light on responsible gun owners.

Krrth: umm...what? A SWAT guy went in to your house and stole some pop and cups? What was the SWAT team doing over by you anyways?

Heh. They didn't "steal" it, my roommate at the time (an EMT) was on call and on location with the SWAT. It turns out, they had been deployed across the street. So....my roommate told them to just go on in the house and grab something to drink for everybody. They had forgotten I was home....

Jack Squat
2008-12-19, 12:37 PM
I figured it was something along those lines...still, what was going on over by you? Last time we had SWAT anywhere near us was when some crazy guy shot and killed someone in a bar, then hid in a closet for 4 hours.

St.Sinner
2008-12-19, 12:49 PM
A guy walks around firing rounds at people's roofs and police say they're not worried? :smalleek:

A couple of days ago in my city there was an incident where someone drove up in a car and fired 25 shots into a house. A toddler who was sleeping inside was injured, and now police are still looking for the perps. Apparently it's the fifteenth drive-by shooting in sixteen days in this city.

Krrth
2008-12-19, 12:51 PM
I figured it was something along those lines...still, what was going on over by you? Last time we had SWAT anywhere near us was when some crazy guy shot and killed someone in a bar, then hid in a closet for 4 hours.

Turns out the guy across the street took hostages and was threatening to kill them. Not a real good idea in the South, especially not in the South where most of the people in the neighborhood are military or retired military....

Adumbration
2008-12-19, 12:59 PM
More information: the man was apparently a bit drunk, got into a fight with his girlfriend, fired a few shots at the roof, the girlfriend and her son left and called the cops. The police had the house surrounded for four hours before noticing that he was gone, after which they went after him with dogs.

The following day the man turned himself in at the police station, and was seen later that afternoon return home after interrogations.