PDA

View Full Version : Cavalry Soldier [PrC]

Triaxx
2008-12-17, 09:07 PM
Just a quick, dirty PrC I conjured up from an alternate idea with my Cavalier. Couldn't find enough tricks to make it worth a whole class though. Thoughts?

Cavalry Soldier

Alignment: Any

Hit Die: d8

Prereq: Mounted Combat, Ride 7 Ranks, BAB +5

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+1|
+0|
+0|Combat Path, Ride-by Attack

2nd|
+2|
+2|
+1|
+1|Path Feat 1

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Path Feat 2, Bonus Feat

4th|
+4|
+3|
+2|
+2|Path Feat 3

5th|
+5|
+4|
+2|
+2|Path Feat 4, Spirited Charge
[/table]

Combat Path: The first level of Cavalry Soldier requires a Combat path be picked, either Heavy Cavalry, or Light Cavalry. Each level gains the Cavalry Soldier one feat regardless of prerequisites.

Ride-by Attack: At first level, a Cavalry Soldier gains Ride-by Attack, regardless of whether they qualify for it.

Bonus Feat: At third level a Cavalry Soldier may pick a Bonus Feat from the Fighter Bonus Feat list, as well as any feat with Mounted Combat as one of it's prerequisites, provided they qualify for the feat normally.

Spirited Charge: At fifth level, a Cavalry Soldier gains Spirited Charge, regardless of whether they qualify for it.

Combat Path
{table=head]Level|Heavy Path|Light Path
1st|
Improved Shield Bash|
Mounted Archery

2nd|
Trample|
Improved Mounted Archery

3rd|
Mounted Fighting|
Bow Slinger

4th|
Cavalry Charger|
Ranged Threat[/table]

Al-Ashrad
2008-12-18, 04:08 PM
Why would someone taking the Light Cavalry track need to have a shield proficiency? Wouldn't a proficiency with a short composite bow make more sense, since they're horse archers...

Triaxx
2008-12-18, 05:41 PM
Because I wasn't thinking? Most classes get it free anyway. Suggestions?

Triaxx
2008-12-18, 05:44 PM
Because I wasn't thinking? Most classes get it free anyway. On the other hand if I dump it, and a Rogue comes into the class for Heavy Cavalry, he's getting Improved Shield Bash without any proficiency in shields.

Perhaps proficient in any ranged weapon?

Al-Ashrad
2008-12-18, 08:00 PM
Because I wasn't thinking? Most classes get it free anyway. Suggestions?

Actually, it's a very easy fix. Just make the requirements (a) Shield Proficiency for the Heavy Cav track, and (b) Composite Shortbow Proficiency for the Light Cav track.

I do think that Heavy Cav should get Ride-by Attack. That is a staple of Heavy Cav (the joust).

Maybe try this...

{table=head]Level|Heavy Path|Light Path

1st|
Ride-by Attack|
Mounted Archery

2nd|
Improved Shield Bash|
___?____

3rd|
Cavalry Charger|
Improved Mounted Archery[/table]

I really can't think of anything to put in that Second level for the Light Cav path. Maybe Ride-by Attack, maybe a Bonus Feat for any archery-related feat.

The thing is that two very distinct groups of cavalry are lumped into this class together. There's nothing wrong with that, but it does lead to a couple minor issues.

I do like this class. Maybe it could be a 5-level class, but 3 levels really seems to work nicely, especially considering how limited this PrC is in its scope.

Triaxx
2008-12-18, 09:34 PM
That's why he's got Trample actually. He hits you with his lance, and bowls right over you as he goes. Cavalry Charger even lets him try and knock you off your horse. Ride-by is a definite must for Light Cavalry. Hmm... I'll have to re-work it a bit.

Al-Ashrad
2008-12-19, 12:19 AM
...Ride-by is a definite must for Light Cavalry...

Considering Ride-by Attack has a much greater use in melee combat than in missile combat, I don't entirely agree with this. After all, Ride-by Attack is basically Spring Attack for mounted combat. However, I can see the feat's uses in mounted missile combat too.

Triaxx
2008-12-19, 01:19 PM
It's a matter of riding into range, shooting and then riding out. Parthians were masters of it. Plus when light cavalry attacks, they ride in, attack with sabers, and then ride away.

Heavy Cavalry is Knights in armor style of smash into the enemy, then beat your way out so you can have another go at them. On it's basic level, 3.5 favors the Heavy Cavalry method.

Al-Ashrad
2008-12-19, 02:55 PM
It's a matter of riding into range, shooting and then riding out. Parthians were masters of it. Plus when light cavalry attacks, they ride in, attack with sabers, and then ride away.

Heavy Cavalry is Knights in armor style of smash into the enemy, then beat your way out so you can have another go at them. On it's basic level, 3.5 favors the Heavy Cavalry method.

Honestly, on its basic level, 3.5 favors melee combat over missile combat. How often does a Deepwoods Sniper really get to use their huge range limits to full advantage?

Keeping that in mind, Ride-by Attack is more useful to a Heavy Cav as it allows them to do a melee attack and then get out of the way. A Light Cav, in theory, would be way out of melee range when doing their attack.

Heavy Cav would not just be the classic idea of knights in full plate armor. They would also apply to the mounted Normans and French, who weren't much better armored than the "light cav" Turks they fought in the First Crusade. Turkish cavalry wouldn't get into melee combat until the enemy was already routed. Their general tactic was to shoot at the enemy lines with their horsebows. Meanwhile, the Normans and French were charging through the enemy lines with their cavalry.

Maybe Ride-by Attack is a must for both paths...

Deepblue706
2008-12-19, 03:06 PM
Maybe Ride-by Attack is a must for both paths...

I would say so.

However, by granting the same feats, you lose much of what separates both paths. Perhaps add bonuses to-hit for specific weaponry intended to be used with each path, to allow for some greater disparity? For instance, the Cavalier PrC (basically your Knight-in-shining-armor, from CWar) gets bonuses with the lance and longsword while mounted. The Light cavalry might use scimitars (as a substitute for sabre) and bows. The Heavy cavalry might...iunno...use something else.

Triaxx
2008-12-19, 07:30 PM
Alright, I can simply give them both. I've also edited the entry requirements.