PDA

View Full Version : Mass spells as a metamagic feat?

mikethepoor
2008-12-17, 09:07 PM
I was flipping through the PHB and Spell Compendium the other day, and looking over the mass spells that existed (cure, inflict, the ability score enhancers, etc.) How appropriate would it be to allow a metamagic feat that turned a normal spell into a mass one, that affects one target per caster level and with a spell level adjustment of +4?

bosssmiley
2008-12-18, 09:20 AM
I was flipping through the PHB and Spell Compendium the other day, and looking over the mass spells that existed (cure, inflict, the ability score enhancers, etc.) How appropriate would it be to allow a metamagic feat that turned a normal spell into a mass one, that affects one target per caster level and with a spell level adjustment of +4?

Hmmmm. Potentially problematic. The reasoning behind it is clear, but the potential for abuse is colossal!

Used on single target offensive spells (magic missile, lightning bolt, power word:*, disintegrate, etc.) this is an uber++ version of chain spell or split ray. It gives the full casters who take it even more flexibility than they have already, and that's even before you get into Batman wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500) arcane thesis metamagic cost mitigation abuse. :smalleek:

The kind of "I cast, everybody die!" cheese this is open to belongs in Epic, if anywhere.

Fan
2008-12-18, 09:22 AM
Defintely a epic feat iwth soem harsh pre reqs (ability to cast that spell without using a spell book, and atl east 2 feats.)

Tormsskull
2008-12-18, 09:25 AM
Like most things, it would work just fine if you only thought of its application towards a set of spells that aren't overpowered with it. The problem is, with all of the spells out there, and all of the additional splatbook spells, and homebrew spells, etc, I am sure it would be optimizied to be overpowered.

What would be a good idea, though, IMO, would be to create a PrC to can use such a metamagic feat but only with the spells they derive from their PrC its self. Then go through that spell list with a fine-tooth comb looking for abusable spells.

Once you're satisfied, don't add any new spells to that list unless you also go over them very carefully.

Then, try them out in actual play, and adjust as you see fit.

DracoDei
2008-12-18, 01:32 PM
Used on single target offensive spells (magic missile, lightning bolt, power word:*, disintegrate, etc.)

Lightning Bolt is NOT single target... if you aren't hitting at least two enemies with it in most cases you aren't doing it right.

Baron Corm
2008-12-19, 12:32 PM
If you mean apply it to spells with a save of Harmless, then it's fine. Even otherwise, spreading out your damage among many targets is generally not as game-breaking as doubling your damage to one target. Especially for a whopping +4 spell level cost. I think it deserves playtesting.

Draz74
2008-12-19, 12:40 PM
Even if you allow it with offensive spells, I don't think it would be broken if:

- it's targeted spells only, no area effects or even rays
- you don't combine it with other cheap-metamagic cheese.

Shades of Gray
2008-12-19, 12:41 PM
I think it should only apply to touch spells. Mass Shocking Grasp, Chill Touch, Ghoul Touch, etc.

Considering it's 4 levels higher, most of the nasty touch spells aren't usable/ are really high level.

Neithan
2008-12-19, 12:56 PM
Lightning Bolt is NOT single target... if you aren't hitting at least two enemies with it in most cases you aren't doing it right.

Neither are Magic missile or disintegrate. They create missiles or a ray that are fired at a target and would not be affected by the feat like I see it intended.
I think you could allow it in your campaign but with telling your players that you decide to which spells it can be applied and to which not, and that you may change your descision for the future of it turnes out you completely miscalculated.
If the players are fine with that, just try it out.

Boci
2008-12-19, 01:38 PM
How about making it only applicable to harmless spells for a start?

Shades of Gray
2008-12-19, 01:44 PM
But Inflict light wounds mass isn't harmless. And mass cure is harmful to undead.