PDA

View Full Version : Petty Lamentations

Cpt. Soup
2008-12-17, 10:27 PM
Hello! I have noticed in my long standing two day old account that there is a certain something lacking in this forum, something which I shall now provide!! I bring you Petty Lamentations!! Was there ever something that bothered you? Something that truly wormed its way into your being, like a festering cancer slowly eroding away your sanity. When you mention this thing to those around you you are perplexed by their lack of understanding and apathy, they give you queer looks for thinking so much about this thing.

These fools lack your clarity, with which you see this horrible flaw in in the world, this vile blemish with will likely haunt you even to the grave!!

Share the horrific truths you and you alone have seen! You need not bear this burden alone! Breath a sigh of blissful release as you dump the rotting boil on those foolish enough to read your post!! Don't let others around you live free form the curse of your dread knowledge, spread misery, despair and woe upon your fellows!!

At this point I shall admit that many think I am a thoroughly unpleasant person, many find me to be overly negative. I once met Lemony Snicket's associate and representative-to-the-press, Mr. Daniel Handler. After a short conversation he was of much the same mind and sought to place a great deal of distance between himself and me.

-----------------------------------------

Somewhere in my feverish rant you may have gotten a gist of what this thread is all about.

This thread is for those of you who are extremely bothered by something in this world but your dull and cow like neighbors are completely and blissfully ignorant of this scourge! This blight on the world must be completely unnoticed by all others you know or thought to be inconsequential and irrelevant. mention of something like say global warming or a similar something would be incredibly dull of you to do.

As an example for you masses I will share one of my most nightmarish burdens....

In the movie Mystery Men (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Men) the character Dr. Annabel Leek, Casanova Frankenstein's psychiatrist and girlfriend abruptly disappeared from the movie after Casanova gathered together all the gangs in Champion City. This horrendous plot hole has rarely left my mind, Even today I wake up screaming from the night terrors brought about by it.

And so share your own despair in this thread! Let none who read these posts see this world as before! I may yet spew forth more bile later on so that all may drown from the poisonous truth they drink in!!

Get to it now and feel free to discuss revelations between the expected bouts of sobbing and suicidal inclinations.

Edit: With the decisive aid of Pyrian I have managed to pluck this thread if not the entire forum from the cruel clutches of a dastardly spelling error!!

Player_Zero
2008-12-17, 10:30 PM
She was there during the party with all the gangs around the table, but then wasn't of much plot importance during the finale... Not really a plot hole, per se.

Cpt. Soup
2008-12-17, 10:48 PM
Behold the ignorance of the masses! He would think me insane! This creature, this Player_Zero sees though this obvious fracture in reality as if it were a barely discernible breeze!

This Player_Zero perhaps thinks that I'm overblowing the unscrupulous canker eating through the foundations of reality!! He dismisses this as "not much of a plot hole."

Pyrian
2008-12-17, 10:50 PM
I lament that you spelled the thread title wrong. :smalltongue:

Cpt. Soup
2008-12-17, 10:59 PM
I suspect that rather then a true sharing of your despair that was merely a jib meant to mock me..

Well no matter! Such things as this can be corrected and the world saved from more vileness as a result!!

Pyrian
2008-12-17, 11:06 PM
No, no, that sort of thing really bothers me, so thank you. :smallcool:

Lord Magtok
2008-12-17, 11:11 PM
Hannibal Lector is called an Affably Evil (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AffablyEvil) villain on tvtropes, when he's so obviously WickedCultured (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WickedCultured) instead. However, I'm too darned lazy and afraid to go and edit this foul error away from the site myself, for fear that the foolish mistaken fools and their mistakes will try to brainwash me into siding with them on the matter.

bluewind95
2008-12-17, 11:19 PM
Several people I know tend to spell "than" as "then". AND they go and say "to" and "too" without distinction. AND they spell "character" as "charecter"This leads to horrible sentences such as "This charecter is more evil then this other one. More crazy, to." It makes me want to claw someone's SOMETHING out.

Innis Cabal
2008-12-17, 11:35 PM
Those born with life threatening deformities that could not have survived without the best our times medical information and technology irritate me. Not only that, but then going on to TV to explain how they live life to their fullest no matter how "honorable" it may seem to be only really says "your life is shallow in comparison".

This irritates me beyond words. Not simply because the attitude such programs have, but(warning. Not nice words comming next) they are only alive because we have the technology to keep them that way. Not 20 years ago they'd almost certainly not make it bast their second week. 1% maybe making it to 2 years old.

More a rant.

Fostire
2008-12-17, 11:37 PM
Several people I know tend to spell "than" as "then". AND they go and say "to" and "too" without distinction. AND they spell "character" as "charecter"This leads to horrible sentences such as "This charecter is more evil then this other one. More crazy, to." It makes me want to claw someone's SOMETHING out.

add "a" and "an" to the list of often misused words

Player_Zero
2008-12-17, 11:41 PM
add "a" and "an" to the list of often misused words

What about people who don't know when to use 'whom'?

Fostire
2008-12-17, 11:48 PM

Actually I'm guilty of that one :smallredface:

Mauve Shirt
2008-12-17, 11:49 PM
Those born with life threatening deformities that could not have survived without the best our times medical information and technology irritate me. Not only that, but then going on to TV to explain how they live life to their fullest no matter how "honorable" it may seem to be only really says "your life is shallow in comparison".

This irritates me beyond words. Not simply because the attitude such programs have, but(warning. Not nice words comming next) they are only alive because we have the technology to keep them that way. Not 20 years ago they'd almost certainly not make it bast their second week. 1% maybe making it to 2 years old.

What kind of deformities are you talking about? :smallconfused: I mean, that kind of preachiness gets to me too, about various diseases.

Innis Cabal
2008-12-17, 11:55 PM
Things like the mermaid disease. Gross(By which I mean extreme) Physical deformities that compromise the bodies vital systems.

Player_Zero
2008-12-17, 11:56 PM
Actually I'm guilty of that one :smallredface:

Following a preposition.

'Of whom', 'to whom', 'for whom', etc.

Other usage is improper.

Z-dan
2008-12-18, 05:36 AM
oooh fun- I have many petty lamentations to impart upon thee...

My current one is that of the game Little Big Planet- everyone's raving about it but I dont see the point in it... From what I gather you spend ages creating a level that you get to spend 30 seconds running around on... I don't see a 5-star or 10/10 game there, yet that's what it scored on every review site I've seen- this makes me sad :smallfrown:

Also, one that will perplex many of you, is angry druids. I blame them for the events of last night, i.e me having to clean up the flat all night because of people viewing it today, then having to deal with my gf being incredibly drunk from her office Christmas party. I fully believe that angry druids are to blame.

And finally, for now, my third is concerning Doctor Who. Or rather, his companions. First off, Martha Jones- seen in the episode with Canary Wharf, except she died and when Martha becomes a companion it's hand-waved as it was actually her cousin- I don't believe it's possible to have identical cousins... Oh and then there's all the stuff going on about the 'new' doctor... Why can't we go back to the good old days when we actually had suprises? Instead everyone knows what's going to happen months before it actually happens. Also slightly annoying in that the current person they have lined up to be the next doctor has already appeared in the series, and the only way they'll be able to hand-wave that is by coincidence. Then there's all number of loose ends with other characters, like the woman he met in the library who claimed to recognise him and indeed said she married him, and the doctor's daughter who flew off never to return...

OK I'm done for now- had to relieve my Doctor Who geekiness somewhere :smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2008-12-18, 06:21 AM
I don't really have anything to contribute to the conversation, but I'd just like to say that Captain Soup is officially awesome.

And in only two days of being here - thats a near record!

Fostire
2008-12-18, 06:55 AM
Following a preposition.

Other usage is improper.

And now I know :smallsmile:

Roland St. Jude
2008-12-18, 10:28 PM

More a rant.

I suppose the preachiness of such programs is lamentable. But blame that on the programs' authors/producers. But to lament the existence of those who have such deformities makes little sense. Many, many of us would not be here today if it were not for advances in medicine. Consider the infant mortality rate of medieval times before germ theory was accepted.

Consider also if you had been dealt such a regrettable hand in life. Would you want to seek as normal an existence as possible or would you say "well, I shouldn't exist because I'm not normal." I say kudos to those people who I'm sure frequently think the latter but strive for the former.

Moff Chumley
2008-12-18, 10:48 PM
I don't really have anything to contribute to the conversation, but I'd just like to say that Captain Soup is officially awesome.

And in only two days of being here - thats a near record!

Agreed. And as an observer and chronicler of forums-goings-ons for the last year and a half, I can definately say that you're destined for greatness. And then you will get banned for some arbitrary reason forcing everyone to rid their sigs or your awesome quotes. And then, for an inadequately explored reason, Marty McFly will aid you in going into your past and keeping you from making that fateful post that started it all. Such has happened MANY times in the playground. :smile:

Flame of Anor
2008-12-18, 11:14 PM
Following a preposition.

Other usage is improper.

Aha, but then do you deny the correctness of such sentences as "Whom did you stab just then?" Ludicrous, I say! "Whom" usually is simply the object form--the accusative case, for those who know what that means. Of course, it is also the dative, genitive, and ablative case, as you proved above, but it is mostly used as the accusative case.

And add "substitute" to the list of misused words. People think "substitute A for B" means "put B in, instead of A", but it is, of course, the exact opposite. I am also peeved by cavalier dropping of commas, use of commas for semicolons, use of quotations marks for emphasis, and the dropping of the "Oxford comma" immediately after the penultimate item on a list such as this.

Also, I absolutely HATE it when people use archaic Middle English words and endings, such as thou, thee, ye, dost, doth, thy, thine, -st, -th, etc., without knowing what they mean. Such despicable monster phrases as "we doth", "haveth at thou!", "I will eateth thine braaaains!", and the like, I abhor utterly. If you're interested, by all means PM me for a primer on the usage of these words. Even if you think you know what they all mean, I'll bet there are one or two you've missed.

Innis Cabal
2008-12-19, 12:35 AM
I suppose the preachiness of such programs is lamentable. But blame that on the programs' authors/producers. But to lament the existence of those who have such deformities makes little sense. Many, many of us would not be here today if it were not for advances in medicine. Consider the infant mortality rate of medieval times before germ theory was accepted.

Consider also if you had been dealt such a regrettable hand in life. Would you want to seek as normal an existence as possible or would you say "well, I shouldn't exist because I'm not normal." I say kudos to those people who I'm sure frequently think the latter but strive for the former.

I do understand the first part, but there has to be a want to go on a show(Be it parent or child want) for the show to actually be aired. If its parental...one has to wonder why. And while I understand that medical break throughs have made our life expectancy grow...not to sound cruel but lets look at this in a more naturalistic way. If a dog/cat/what have you is born deformed be it missing legs or such. They die. Simple as that. Germ and bactieral resistance is common place and medicine is if nothing else an evolutionary step for mankind. For all the goods its done us there are now diseases and bacteria that are super resistant and far more deadly then before, because we crossed the line and worked against it.

No time in history have they had easy lives. My point wasn't "we should let them die" I don't support wanton or whole sale killing by any means. I simply mean to point it out like its a triumph is....wrong, and the message conveyed that "more people should life like X becuase they don't know what it means to struggle" is an awful petty message that really makes everyone else look shallow. And that really irks me.

As to the second point. I can't answer that. I was born with problems, everyone is but not to that extent. Its ultimatly not a question I -can- answer, because I have not walked a day in their shoes.

I guess the point i'm ultimatly trying to make here is...placing any group on a pedestal and saying "look how amazing X is because of this" is actually not solving the problem. If you want to be treated as a normal person in any regard taking the route of "Look at X and see how far they have come because they are disabled/have a birth defect" is the wrong way to go. Pointing out what makes you different takes attention away from what makes you look like everyone else.

Cpt. Soup
2008-12-19, 02:07 AM
What!? Someone dares speak about something annoying stark from the view of the masses!? Begone!! I'll have nothing the unenlightened see as a legitimate and understandable opinion.

I'll give an eye full of dreary dust to the next person that perverts this thread with something like that. Its sort of like fairy dust only not shiny and its mostly skin flakes gathered from lepers.

And so I urge you all onwards! we've barely scratched the surface of the horrid truth of all things!!

Fri
2008-12-19, 02:39 AM
Hmm.. sometimes, the attitude of webcomic fans (including myself) irks me, especially for non gag-a-day webcomic like OOTS. How they overanalyze each panel and strips... basically that annoys me. I like analyzing a story as much as the poster above and under me, but sometimes...

Examples (I use OOTS since we're in oots' forum).

-There's a thread once that proposed a theory that Lien is a butch lesbian because of her hair style. No, seriously. And it seems that it's not a joke or sarcastic thread.

-Someone wrote that he and his friends would stop reading oots because... the thief guild beat haley. Haley's losing it and she will be killed soon. Giant, how could you make the heroes lose? Seriously? I bet he also stopped reading return of the king when gondor was losing (there is no way in hell that they could get any reinforcement, could they? What rohan?) and he stopped watching return of the jedi when han solo and princess leia were captured by the imperial troop at death star's shield generator.

Terry576
2008-12-19, 02:57 AM
When a word is randomly misspelled in the middle of a sentence. Example:

I believe that this is unbielivable!

Chat speak. Nuff said.

"Y r u being so mean 2 me? I am a good persn and ppl lyk me!"

Nychta
2008-12-19, 03:06 AM
There are two types of errors with 'whom', in my opinion.
1. Those who don't use when they should.
2. Those who try to use it to make themselves sound smarter, but really fail because they're not using it in the right place.

The second error bugs me more. If you don't know when to use 'whom', find out when to use it. Don't just sprinkle it over your writing.

Also, people who say "could of". It does not make any sense.

Multiple exclamation marks. Though I'll forgive Cpt. Soup because this thread is obviously pretty awesome.

unstattedCommoner
2008-12-19, 06:18 AM

I concur.

I hate it when English scriptwriters of police procedurals and courtroom dramas set in England get the most basic points of English law and procedure wrong.

B-Man
2008-12-19, 01:19 PM

Well, "could of" should be "could've". I know that I say could've more often could have.

Just a few (okay, a lot) of things irk me with the English language in a downtown Canadian city. Road signs that say 'City Center', 'Neighborhood Watch', meters (for measure of length), and other miscellaneous spellings on signs really annoy me. I know that we're close to the border but come on! :smallannoyed:

Mauve Shirt
2008-12-19, 01:50 PM
When a word is randomly misspelled in the middle of a sentence. Example:

I believe that this is unbielivable!

Chat speak. Nuff said.

I had a friend who would purposefully misspell words. For example, instead of "secret" she would write "cecryt". Annoying to no end. I assume she's stopped doing that, since she's in college now.

V Yeah well, I'm typing with one hand and eating. :smalltongue: Not purposeful.

Jack Squat
2008-12-19, 01:51 PM
I had a friend who would purposefully misspell words. For example, ibnstead od "secret" she would write "cecryt". Annoying to no end. I assume she's stopped doing that, since she's in college now.

just sayin'

Moff Chumley
2008-12-19, 03:55 PM
I am annoyed by people who would be as presumptuous as to correct obvious mistakes, when those are obviously for me to catch and feel smart about, not actual intelligent people!

Jack Squat
2008-12-19, 04:05 PM
I am annoyed by people who would be as presumptuous as to correct obvious mistakes, when those are obviously for me to catch and feel smart about, not actual intelligent people!

Or you know...I just felt like pointing out that someone who's annoyed by misspellings didn't check for typos, and the inherent irony in the situation.

Moff Chumley
2008-12-19, 04:21 PM
Or you know...I just felt like pointing out that someone who's annoyed by misspellings didn't check for typos, and the inherent irony in the situation.

...THIS IS NO PLACE FOR LOGIC!

rubakhin
2008-12-19, 04:38 PM
My social worker won't stop calling me at nine in the morning!! I go to bed just after salat al-fajr (is it okay to mention my towelheaded ways on the forum in passing?) which means I've just fallen asleep at like, 6:30 AM.

And she calls me up asking all kinds of hard questions about my future and I'm like, "duhhhhhh i dunno health insurance and homeless shelters huh wouldn't it just be easier if I joined the French Foreign Legion maybe you could look into that for zzzzz" Then she gets mad at me because I'm not coherent!

We're currently deadlocked. She believes that if she inconveniences me enough I'll learn to go to bed at a reasonable hour, I believe that if I inconvenience her enough she'll learn to call at a reasonable hour. She is stubborn, but I am a very patient man.

Mauve Shirt
2008-12-19, 06:19 PM

I'm annoyed by someone misspelling something on purpose and in the most ridiculous way possible. "Secrit" I could ignore, or "srcret" if they were typing fast. :smalltongue: But "Cecryt", sorry, no.

Z-dan
2008-12-19, 06:58 PM
I have a new one, and that's people that don't understand/ know the true meaning of Christmas... That's all I'll say and all I expect anyone else to say, as I know the forum policy on religious discussions :smallwink:
And I'm deliberately not starting to rant about misspellings otherwise I'll be here all night, when Monkey Island is calling out to me to play it. All I'll say is what's the point in misspelling 'boy' as 'boi' when it takes just as long to type/text... This applies to all other forms of text speak, and by extension encompasses all aspects of the entire chav culture.

Thufir
2008-12-19, 07:07 PM
I lament that my friends seem to have a problem with making all my decisions for me.

Flame of Anor
2008-12-19, 08:08 PM
Just a few (okay, a lot) of things irk me with the English language in a downtown Canadian city. Road signs that say 'City Center', 'Neighborhood Watch', meters (for measure of length), and other miscellaneous spellings on signs really annoy me. I know that we're close to the border but come on! :smallannoyed:

Hate to break it to you, but the US doesn't use meters. Much as I would love to be on the metric system, you can't pin your metricity on us.

B-Man
2008-12-19, 08:13 PM
Hate to break it to you, but the US doesn't use meters. Much as I would love to be on the metric system, you can't pin your metricity on us.

I know that the States don't use metres but the US spelling of it is wrong. That's why I'm annoyed with the spelling of it here.

Jack Squat
2008-12-19, 08:19 PM

...at least heading on I-40 east and I-75 south, you'll run into signs that say Knoxville 12 mi/19 km That's about the extent that I've seen outside of school...well that and the little mini-circle under some speedometers that show km/hr.

Mr. Moon
2008-12-19, 10:10 PM
I HATE the DDR narrators/DJs/whatever.

I swear, Konami has NO idea who to market DDR for. Who plays it? Teenage Japanaphiles. (And, of course, Japanese people, but that's beside the point.) It gets incredibly annoying to play DDR and have someone shout massive amounts of gangster slang at me while dancing to some J-Rock song. I am not a "dawg", and I will not "get down". I don't care if a song is "wik-wiki-wikiti-wak!". (WTF? :smallconfused:)

And you can't turn him off, nooo. That wouldn't be annoying enough. Oh, sure, you can turn him off for the songs, but not for the menus, where he's the most annoying. :smallannoyed:

And further more!
Bands that sell Konami their songs so that they'll put it on DDR. Usually, these songs are popular, and therefore slow, with staggered steps and no beat. And rap. How am I supposed to dance to RAP? Gah! The beauty of DDR is that whenever I buy a new disc, I discover some new band. (That, and I actually exercise...)

Stupid Konami.

Edit: Oh, yeah. The OP = Win.

Mauve Shirt
2008-12-20, 01:17 AM
Heh. The disembodied black guy thinks I'm not an ordinary fella. :smalltongue:
I have those same problems with the DDR music. I don't want to dance to some Britney Spears song, I came here to flail about wildly to techno.

Madmal
2008-12-22, 10:32 AM
I lament that i don¿t know what is ddr

also, i think 9:00 am IS a reasonable hour to call. But of course, i rarely get calls from other people.

Partof1
2008-12-22, 11:40 AM
Short Wii rant:

Its a fun system, even without the 10-lb graphics package that the other consoles have(seriously, those are heavy). The Wii deserves some more support, rather than Mario Party 26. i'm surprised Nintendo hasn't milked the first person shooter possibilities as much as they could. At least we get some Star Wars lightsaber games. And the new Call of Duty.

Also:my feet get sweaty when I wear a certain pair of slippers, and if I don't wear them, i freeze.

The OP talks funny but is still awesome. :smallamused:

OzRic_The_Unhinged
2008-12-22, 11:49 AM
Outlook 2007 Grammar check. its must be it's, even its' should be it's. Begone from my life you vile pustule...........

Jack Squat
2008-12-22, 11:50 AM
Short Wii rant:

Its a fun system, even without the 10-lb graphics package that the other consoles have(seriously, those are heavy). The Wii deserves some more support, rather than Mario Party 26. i'm surprised Nintendo hasn't milked the first person shooter possibilities as much as they could.

Yeah, I'm hoping for some James Bond games to come out soon...and I'm still waiting for Duck Hunt on Virtual Console.

At least we get some Star Wars lightsaber games. And the new Call of Duty.

I'll wait for the lightsaber games until we get Wii motion plus released.

UnrulyPoets
2008-12-22, 12:11 PM
Chat speak. Nuff said.

*shudders*

...at least heading on I-40 east and I-75 south, you'll run into signs that say Knoxville 12 mi/19 km That's about the extent that I've seen outside of school...well that and the little mini-circle under some speedometers that show km/hr.

Actually parts of Massachusetts and New Hampshire both have highway signs posting how many mi/km away your exit is as well... however, my lamentation is that it is seemingly random! Not EVERY sign uses them, they're sporadic! I wish it were consistent. :smallmad:

Moff Chumley
2008-12-22, 12:53 PM
I am annoyed that my friend started a website design company, which I bet him would fail miserably, and now he's rolling in cash. :smallmad:

UnrulyPoets
2008-12-22, 01:27 PM
Ohh..... I've thought of one that irks me to no end. I cannot stand it when people spell/ pronounce things incorrectly in Italian, be it in a recipe or people who have "American-ized" their last names and no longer pronounce them as they are intended to be pronounced. Grrr!

Dragon555
2008-12-22, 02:04 PM
Having recently watched the movies "Wanted" and the first few minutes of "Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" (I couldn't take any more than that), I feel the need to complain about movies which try to set themselves in the "normal" world. If they were clearly in their own universe, then they could pull such idiotic moves as allowing characters to completely ignore gravity until desired, curve bullets, and have a refrigerator (as well as its contents) survive a nuclear blast. It's just one of the things I can't handle. :smallannoyed:

Jack Squat
2008-12-22, 02:37 PM
Having recently watched the movies "Wanted" and the first few minutes of "Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" (I couldn't take any more than that), I feel the need to complain about movies which try to set themselves in the "normal" world. If they were clearly in their own universe, then they could pull such idiotic moves as allowing characters to completely ignore gravity until desired, curve bullets, and have a refrigerator (as well as its contents) survive a nuclear blast. It's just one of the things I can't handle. :smallannoyed:

RE: Indiana Jones...do you like the original movies? They're no more ridiculous (sneaking onto a German U-Boat and riding it on the outside back to port, for example)

Quincunx
2008-12-22, 02:54 PM
My fingertips are sore (minus one--I only have one thimble) and the sewing is not yet done. Typing is only making them worse. Back to sewing.

Dragon555
2008-12-22, 03:41 PM
RE: Indiana Jones...do you like the original movies? They're no more ridiculous (sneaking onto a German U-Boat and riding it on the outside back to port, for example)

Nope, I'm not a fan of any of the Indiana Jones movies or whatnot. I was just watching this one with family because my older brother said that it was bad enough that it was funny. He's generally right on this sorta thing, but I couldn't watch after seeing "Wanted" just a couple days prior.

Faceist
2008-12-22, 03:41 PM
I prefer to think of those movies as set in "hyper-reality", which I view as an exaggerated world the same as ours except for those niggling, annoying differences. If you suspend your belief in that way it helps you enjoy the film. And it's certainly helped my blood pressure since I started doing that, especially after "Signs". :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2008-12-22, 04:18 PM
Multiple exclamation marks. Though I'll forgive Cpt. Soup because this thread is obviously pretty awesome.

Ditto!!!!!!!!!! :smalltongue: