PDA

View Full Version : The Demon (Adventure Thread)

Pages : [1] 2

dresdor
2008-12-17, 10:41 PM
It has been two days since the escape of the hell-spawn. The King Draym, and the church of Jalatar have mustered every guard and militia man in the capital to find the brigand without success. Last night, a clue had been found: a town guard smote with electricity and smelling of brimstone. Dispatched mages and clerics confirmed the presence of an otherworldly energy. It seems the Demon was heading west, to the far reaches of the Kingdom and the outer provinces.

The King has decreed a bounty on the Demon's head. One million gold pieces, a vast fortune beyond any that any single man has held, save the King. It would nearly empty the coffers of the Nation of Draymor. Every brigand and bounty hunter in the kingdom has shown up to take on this mission. Some set off on their own, but a good number are mingling in the courtyard of the castle, awaiting the King's announcement.

As you gather in the courtyard it seems that a vast number of the people there have already formed into distinct groups. Some are mercenary bands wearing similar markings, others seem to be leary of one another, but still standing in a fashion that marks them as together. There are a few individuals, but very few of the groups look like they need additional member.

The King stands before the assembly, dressed in his full trappings of court. A mighty Helmet of steel and gold rests on the ground before him, on it's crest the symbol of Jalatar. On either side behind him are two old men, wearing similar crests around their necks. The king, who is a beautiful human, if not a decade past his prime, speaks with a commanding voice:

"You are here assembled to hunt the Demon spawn who has mocked our justice and escaped his punishment. Those who have come from outside our province may not know, but he was sentenced to the Trial of Larnok, of which none have passed. The monstrous dungeon consumed him, and then shook itself from the ground some hours later. It shook with mighty power, before expiring. Our mages and cleric have confirmed that the demonic energy of the Demon spawn caused the Larnok's demise. We want this abomination returned so it can face justice. We are offering a million gold coins, a vast sum for any of you, to the person or group that captures the Demon and returns him here alive."

Grumbling starts in the crowd at the demand that he be brought back alive.

"He is dangerous, but not even he will be above the law. The law has the sole rights to his execution, and as executor of the law, it is by my hand I demand he fall." He takes his helm and places it over his head, before leaving the assembly area. The priests walk away with him. Soon after, two more men walk into the front of the assembly.

"It was we that found the Demon's works, the smote guard and the scent of brimstone. It was outside a village not a day's walk from here, and those are the main details that we recall. It is likely he has made a far pace from there, as it has been two days hence. Ask what questions you have of us, and be on your way."

Rathgar
2008-12-17, 11:41 PM
Lege

A loud voice broke out from towards the front of the crowd. "I have but one question, what are the exact specifications of our authorization, to the letter of the law. I do not wish for us to cause more havoc trying to contain he whose name must not be mentioned." All who turned to see the man who belted out the sound saw someone who didn't look large enough to even startle a crow. He was wearing a heavily used scale mail tunic and had a similarly worn cabasset helm upon his head. A by his side hung a light mace, the official weapon of the church of Jalatar, and on his back hung a rather large crossbow. Many had seen this man as he patrolled the streets in the aid of the town watch, and despite his insistence that even the slightest of laws and regulations be followed out exactly as they had been written, nearly everyone liked him (though he may be annoying from time to time).

dresdor
2008-12-17, 11:54 PM
"The King has decreed that any force may be used to subdue it, save mortal force. If he threatens the lives of others, use what force is neccesary, except for mortal force. For this miscreant, even the Law is willing to overlook the underhanded tactics of most bounty hunters, for he is a greater threat to the destabalization of our nation."

DJDeMiko
2008-12-18, 01:18 AM
Shorrusshumm

A very tall person, wearing a hooded cloak and thick leather gloves watches and listens quietly.

lostsole31
2008-12-18, 03:25 AM
"Finally, your time has come to arise from your simple pleasures knocking miscreants' heads about town, Lege," says a voice quietly behind the stout enforcer, just so he can hear. "It is time for you to embrace your destiny. This is what the Lawbringer meant for you, this quest you wonder to haggle through."

The voice is tenorous and sweet, but rich and noble, and upon his breath the scent of something sweet, yet not cloying or too strong. His voice carries with it strength to share with you, hope to hearten you, wisdom to guide you, but more than that . . . It is Purpose.

Rathgar
2008-12-18, 07:47 AM
Lege

Lege turned to the man behind him. "Do not be mistaken, I am not trying to negotiate anything. I just wish to operate entirely within the bounds of the law." He began to smile. "I don't know that we've met before, though it sounds like I've made more of a name for myself than I ever intended." The man is scale armor extended his hand to offer a handshake. "The name is Lege. It's means "The Law" in an old mariner's tongue. What is your name? Oh, and if I misunderstood what you said, I apologize. I'm not used to hearing your dialect around here." Lege began to look puzzled. "Actually, where exactly are you from?"

Fixer
2008-12-18, 09:12 AM
Marali

Marali wanders around these taller folks, looking for available groups similar to her stature. She sees the rather loud person who was trying to talk to the king. Obviously not one on protocol, which endears him to Marali immediately.

"Begging your pardon, boys, but you two look like a couple of individuals, as opposed to members of one of these groups that surround us. I am a War Surgeon from the northern lands and came to be here after my last adventuring party had a bad run-in with some wights. Can you tell me anything more about this Demon or the town for that matter?"

When the two direct their attention downwards towards the voice they notice a very stocky dwarven woman (tall for a dwarf). If she hadn't spoken they probably would never have noticed her as she seems to naturally blend in. Her eyes are so blue they appear to glow even in daylight. Her hair is dark brown and is kept in a tight ponytail reaching down halfway to her waist. She is dressed in form-fitting and functional studded leather armor. On her back is a backpack and attached to her hip is a morningstar whose metal has been dyed deep blue. Around her neck is a small, ghostly, and blue amulet, glownig as her eyes do, shaped like a serpent of some kind that seems to move on its own.

"Oh, sorry, was never good at introductions. I am Marali."

dresdor
2008-12-18, 09:36 AM
Lege
Though you're not sure exactly what the being behind you is, you recognize that it is of celestial descent or a resident of the celestial planes by it's shimmering and godly appearance. Beyond that you don't glean too much information from your memory. Something in the back of your mind says that this being is of a lawful tendency, though, but you're not sure what that tendency is (i.e. Lawful _______)

Valnorath
Valnorath ponders the nobility of the region, and recalls a small cache of information he learned at some point, though he doesn't remember where. The King Draym is the son of the Thunderfist, a mighty ruler and warrior who combined martial might with arcane magic. It was through his father that the kingdoms were united. The King Draym married young, but his wife died in childbirth about sixteen years ago. His first and only son, Draymon, has not been seen in public for some time, and it is widely believed that he is extremely ill and not long for this world.

You don't spot anything out of the ordinary.

Sir Shadow
2008-12-18, 10:03 AM
Jaggers (HP 6/6, AC 18) (1st 3/3) (Exp 0/1000)

The small kobold tried to get into a good position to see the terace where the king was speaking, but there were far too many tall beings in the way. Sighing, he folding his arms and listened to what the people had to say. The first to ask a question was nearby... and tall.

Cocking his head, the kobold watched a creature walked up behind it. How... interesting... that's definitely not of this world... Then another shorter creature approached them, and Jaggers realized that this might be his only chance to join a group! Leaping towards them, the kobold tried to go as fast as he could, but his chain shirt and the heavy crossbow on his back made it difficult. Due to the weight of his load, he was nearly out of breath as he stopped near the dwarf.

Heya! Are you guys going together to find the demonspawn? If so, might I join you? I am a servant of The Arbiter, and desire to see this foul creature face justice! The little creature smiled winningly and held up a medallion with the symbol of The Arbiter, wondering just what their disposition towards kobolds was.

lostsole31
2008-12-18, 10:08 AM
Valnorath

"No, not fame ... not yet," says the stranger, lifting back the cloak with gloved hands so you may see the face better ... and for Marali below them both. "But this quest is for you, and I shall go to assist you on it. I am Valnorath of the Lawgiver."

The figure standing before you is one of supernatural beauty. From the point of bodily shape, he(?androgynous in appearance, hard to tell) looks like a 6-foot-tall, 150-pound elf complete with pointy ears. The colors identify him as something completely different, something that smacks of another world ... and not lightly at that. His skin is green; a nice, moderate shade of green - which is greener than a classic "orc" green. The sheen of his skin is wondrous and unblemished. He is absolutely bald, not a single hair on his head, and it doesn't look like his head was ever shaved; no, it is also perfectly smooth. Then there are his piercing, knowing eyes of pure gold - almost as if they were made out of that metal, flecked with silver in parts.

His carriage is noble and regal, and he wears obvious clerical vestments - a golden cross set into two concentric circles, with ruby adornments completes the tabard that covers a serviceable suit of chainmail. He dresses with gloves on and cloak up so as not to scream out what he is lest someone look him directly in the face, which he otherwise would have facing downwards. He carries a sturdy greatsword at his back with the pommel to the right. Slung on his left is a quiver with three javelins. He appears to already be outfitted for travel, with a backpack upon him, and a healer's kit at his side.

Valnorath looks down towards Marali, being careful not to "look down" on her. "Peace be with you both - Lege, Marali."

MorhgorRB
2008-12-18, 12:16 PM
Xis

She sits on a bedroll in the middle of the crowd, looking between the clustered legs at the king, leaning back and forth trying to get a better view. Instead she notices the shimmering emerald skin and hops to her feet, grabbing the bedroll swiftly, and beginning to weave through the crowd to get closer to this interesting fellow. She was just behind him when someone bumped into her and she fell against his back, "Whoops, sorry!" She exclaims quickly, fixing her hood to try and cover up the copper curls that had fallen free.

"Hello there um... you!" She says, still tugging at the tree embroidered shoulders, and sleeves of her loosely laced leather tunic. She glaces past him, at the others who had gathered with him, including a little kobold. "Oh, are these your friends?" She asks, peering at them with her silvery-green eyes.

Fixer
2008-12-18, 01:01 PM
"Wow, Lege! I bet when you got the idea of talking to the king you never thought you'd attract such a unique group of people. Unless you actually intended on that, in which case I am not giving you enough credit."

Marali looks at the crew that suddenly developed. Herself, a hyperactive kobold, a celestial being, a woman of unknown race, and a seemingly normal human man.

"If nothing else, this group is odd enough to be mentioned in stories, if we should all decide to work together and accomplish anything. I am game for going after this demon if you all believe we can work together towards that end. I am not all that interested in what this demon has done or might do but it sounds like fun and I do enjoy helping people when I can."

Marali glances around and attempts to take notice if anyone else is taking notice of their little group.

DJDeMiko
2008-12-18, 03:08 PM
Shorrusshumm

He stands in the crowd, keeping his peace, listening and learning. He does not hide his lineage, but his cloak, hood and clothing keep it from being obvious.

lostsole31
2008-12-18, 04:04 PM
[OOC: I was ninja'ed by an evil spellcaster before the kobold introduced himself. Valnorath, having been transfixed because some evil being cast the powerful 9th-level spell "Time/Internet Stop/Lag" on him, manages to break free of the spell. .... And it was only here at Giants! Grumble, grumble, grumble. And on a snow day of all things!]

Not meaning to be rude, but half-ignoring the scaly creature and the female[describe Xis?] Valnorath reaches out but does not quite touch the glowing blue snake-amulet around Marali's neck. "Incarnum ..." he whispers to himself, half questioning and half-declaring. "... soul magic.

"That's an interesting necklace you have there Marali. Is that all you can do with the power of your soul, or is there more?"

"Jaggers, what service do you offer Lege? Your size seems like its own advantage if used right, but what do you bring in the hunt for this demon? Beyond that, I know not what race you are, but your bravery in being willing to undertake this quest surely outstrips your diminutive stature."
"Well-spoken, Marali, and I am here to help you all accomplish that very thing. Of course, I do have a vested interest in seeing the successful vanquishing of this demon, and I do care what it's done. If nothing else, it can help me figure out what exactly we are hunting."

Fixer
2008-12-18, 08:24 PM
[OOC: The Giant updated his comic. That causes everyone who reads it to suddenly download the image and lag the server.]

Marali seems to be paying attention to your surroundings and only barely responds with a, "I was born with it. I am not sure what you mean."

lostsole31
2008-12-18, 08:36 PM
"That must have made for an interesting childhood, Marali. That is evidence of a type of magic called incarnum; it is formed by the magic inherent in your soul's connection to the universe. From what you've said, it sounds like you have a natural affinity for it, if you've ever pursued such a course. There are people who are able to tap into that wellspring and make real, rather than happenstance, use of it. Consider it a blessing, if nothing else," smiles Valnorath.

Sir Shadow
2008-12-18, 08:51 PM

"Jaggers, what service do you offer Lege? Your size seems like its own advantage if used right, but what do you bring in the hunt for this demon? Beyond that, I know not what race you are..."The small creature looked slightly annoyed at the large green archon. "Um... are you serious?" As there was no indication otherwise, Jaggers continued, "I'm a kobold... you know... small reptilian humanoids that are the descendants of dragons..? Any of this ringing a bell???"

Jaggers crossed his arms and lifted an eyebrow at Valnorath, which was, in all honesty, fairly comical. With a sigh, the small creature rolled his eyes and continued. "As for what I have to offer, well... as a servant of The Arbiter, I am gifted with certain power over Death!" His somewhat squeeky voice foiled any attempt he made at sounding impressive, "I'd like to see the undead that could stand up to me!" Though he tried to strike a bold pose, his facial expression told otherwise.

Taking his heavy crossbow (unloaded) from his back, he hefted it in his hands. "And I've got this... which is about as much as anyone can say..."

Hellbore
2008-12-18, 09:54 PM
-Vaen-(pronounced VAY-en)

Leaning against the side of a building near the front edge of the crowd, Vaen Tairen was unimpressed by the king’s speech. He suspected that the church was responsible for the demons escape, and this was their way of keeping their hands clean. Picking up his staff lying against the building as well and hoisting his backpack, he made his through the crowd to get closer to the king. He stopped when he noticed the shimmering being a few feet in front of him. He caught the tail end of his words to a group of others.

"Excuse me?" he ventured, "You are hunting this demon, yes? Then allow me to offer my services. I am Vaen, a sorcerer of some small talent."

ForzaFiori
2008-12-18, 10:10 PM
Amras Telperiën

Amras walks up to the group assembling around the man who appears to be a cleric of Jalatar. You are going after the demon? Would you care if I were to join you? My god and I are always willing to help send evil away from the world.. The ones who turn towards him see a man in a breastplate with the symbol of Bahamut on it. On his waist is a longsword on one side and a quiver of arrows on the other. A bow and a coil of rope are across his back.

Rathgar
2008-12-18, 10:17 PM
Lege

Lege turned to Xis. "No ma'am, I'm afraid that these are no more my friends than you are. Nor are they my enemies. In fact, we are just meeting each other for the first time today. Though Mr. Whatshisname here already had some idea of who I am," he said as he gestured towards the large cloaked man. "So, what can you bring to the quest to go after The Demon?" Lege turned to the Kobold. "And what about you, fine sir...ma'am...I never can tell with reptiles."

[OOC - I would have posted earlier had the Lag Gods not conspired against me.]

lostsole31
2008-12-18, 10:41 PM
"I have some knowledge of demons and their ilk, and other denizens and matters beyond your world. In addition, I have studied history, heraldry, and legal codes [also in K:N&R], as well as negotiations - skills which may prove useful to help you all on your adventure, especially when that adventure is not immediate. You are all skilled, from the looks of things, at the battle, but my wisdom will help and guide you in those slower times when you must deal with the rest of the world. When battle is nigh, I am strong and sturdy and a competent warrior that values teamwork in combat," replies Valnorath to Lege.

MorhgorRB
2008-12-18, 10:42 PM
"Oh, well... I'm sure we'll all be friends if we're going to stay together, right?" She smiles at the others, and tilts her head curiously to look up at the taller members of the party, seeing as she was only of average hieght, and with her hood pulled up over her fiery hair, she was hardly a striking figure, being quite lithe, and the worn longbow strapped across her shoulders wasn't a paticularly interesting piece either.

"Oh, a kobold... So um... your a cleric?" She asks inquisitively, turning her silvery gaze to him, and letting out a soft giggle at his attempted heroic posture.

[[OOC : Editt'd. The first person to post was one! XD ]]

dresdor
2008-12-19, 01:52 AM
OOC: sorry been working on a paper all day, and been busy.

IC:

Jagggers recognizes that the Archon is some sort of celestial or blessed or descendant from celestial being. Other than that, no idea of lineage or alignment.

(Ruling that you cannot take 20 on a Spot check, or a search check in this case)

Marali, looks around but doesn't notice anyone paying any attention to them at all. Most seem interested in their individual groups.

Lege, you know that the arbiter is a law-based god, and that he is LN. That's about it.

Vaen, you watch the King and have a gut instinct that this matter is closer to him than just a violator of the law escaping, or a threat to his kingdom. He also seems to be looking back at the priests a lot for someone in absolute control of his kingdom.

Xis, you listen closely to try to overhear some conversation, and catch snippets here and there. A majority of the groups are heading straight for the area the Demon was last seen, but one or two are heading to more distinct locations. One is heading towards the Blighted Lands, believing that the evil being is trying to unite with the sorcerous enemies of the nation there. Another has mentioned a contact they have in Krakal, and that the dragon riders have been fighting some demonic entities down there. A third group is heading for Lindan, since that is to the due west, and a place where even something like a Demon could loose himself among the poorer folk, and where Draym's might is less than the rest of the kingdom.

Valnorath gains nothing more than what he already knows (and has stated) about the Incarnum, nor any hint to its purpose.

I'll let you mingle a tad more and ask any questions you have and we can get moving.

lostsole31
2008-12-19, 02:05 AM
"The demon may possess more subtle means, but being a demon it is prone to fits of passion that it cannot control. Even still, a brute force energy attack was used. Are any of you skilled at healing? The reason I ask is we could go to see the corpse - Jaggers? - and actually get a feeling for our adversary's capacity from that.

"That is only a suggestion, though. Malari, Xis, how good are you at unearthing that which others wish to remain unseen?"

[Dice...]

dresdor
2008-12-19, 02:27 AM
Valnorath gets no sense on the whether or not the King is hiding anything, nor notices anything out of the ordinary with him.

Fixer
2008-12-19, 07:25 AM
Marali finishes looking around, not seeming to notice anyone.

"I am no expert in intelligence. I am a War Surgeon. My training was in infiltration and the disarming of traps, and I make a good scout for troop movements. I was trained for war, not subterfuge. I can hold my own in a fight, as need be. In my case, my bite is far worse than my bark.

Marali shifts her weight and closes her armor a bit, to avoid any further proddings of her amulet, or subtle attempts at her cleavage.

"Are we going to just stand around the square here or do people actually have a place to stay? I just walked into town and have never been here before, so any suggestions about accommodations would be handy. I suggest we also choose somewhere to be our default meeting place, in case we ever get separated for a length of time. I believe in having such strategies laid out before engaging in any operations."

MorhgorRB
2008-12-19, 12:30 PM
Shakes her head sadly, "I'm not great at finding things out either... But wouldn't people want to help?" Reaching up with one hand, she rubs one of her pointed ears, thoughtfully. "Anyway... what's our plan? I mean... all of these people want that gold too, I'd rather split it between us, than get none at all..."

ForzaFiori
2008-12-19, 12:33 PM
I'm afraid that I too just got into town, and so have no lodgings. Nor do I have the funds to gain a place to stay for any long period of time. Amras turns to the man that appears to be leading this group (Lege) You never answered my question good sir. May I join your group against the demon?

Fixer
2008-12-19, 12:43 PM
"So, wait. We have no one who knows how to collect intelligence? We truly are the runts of this particular collection. This makes it sound even more like one of the bards' stories. Now all we need is for some random street battle to occur that we only manage to survive by a random turn of events and our roles as comic relief will be assured!"

Marali sighs deeply, pondering her situation and giggling gently to herself.

"Ok, we need to decide on someone to be leader, if we can accomplish nothing else. The best candidate would be someone who can come up with ideas we can actually make happen. I would also like it to be someone who I won't feel bad about conveniently ignoring. They also shouldn't take offense to the fact I have ignored them. Any volunteers?"

Marali beams a huge, innocent looking smile at everyone.

Sir Shadow
2008-12-19, 12:57 PM

Though impercievable to others, the kobold blushed slightly and sagged in semi-despair as the woman(elf?) asked him if he was a cleric. "N-No... not really... I have just been favored by The Arbiter and given some portion of Its power, however small it may be." For minute, Jaggers considered telling her that he was a Favored Soul, but those outside of religious circles rarely knew of those--then again, the numerous clerics, paladins, and celestial creatures would probably recognize the term.

When asked if he could question the dead guards, his expression diminished even further, if that was even possible. "Sorry, I'm not capable of such things yet... Besides, I'm sure the king has already had the Clerics of Jalatar do so. Though... we could always entreat a Cleric of The Arbiter speak to the dead guard for us! I'm sure they wouldn't have any qualms about helping us, considering our mission."

dresdor
2008-12-19, 01:41 PM
The other groups start packing up and moving out. Xis notices that three of the groups that said they were heading to the site of the dead guard are heading the same way.

The other groups are heading out different directions. After a few minutes you are the only ones left in the courtyard, though the other groups are still visible.

Rathgar
2008-12-19, 02:49 PM
Lege

"Well, we might as well go to the scene of the crime. See if we can pick up any clues before the scene deteriorates too dramatically. Who's with me?"

lostsole31
2008-12-19, 02:49 PM
"A leader doesn't know all that must happen, but depends on those who are expert in their respective fields for advice. A good leader's job is to keep a cool head in a crisis, filter out that data, and then commit to action." Valnorath looks at Lege, "I will provide counsel, but I believe you to be that leader among us, Lege."

"And I agree, Marali," Valnorath continues, "a safe-point, a return area is a very good idea. Well done."
[When Jaggers mentions about questioning dead guards ...]

Valnorath blanches and stops with a jerk of his head and his eyes going slightly wide, before he composes himself. "Ahem, Jaggers, I didn't mean that you should 'question' them. I merely figured that if you are very knowledgeable in the bodies of the dead, that you might have skill with the bodies of the living as well. Are you a skilled practitioner of 'mundane' healing arts? That is what I meant ... not ripping a fraction of a man's soul from his deserved afterlife to play 20 questions! Such things are meant for those who lived an ill life."

"In any case, it seems we are being left behind. May I recommend the Mystic Ale Lodge [OOC...] here in town? We are, it appears, of some limited means, and I have heard that they offer decent fare and board for an appropriate price.

"Lege, is that acceptable? Shall we leave now?"

Fixer
2008-12-19, 02:55 PM
[When Valnorath mentions ill life]

"Hey, I can assure you those times in the bar were not enough justification to be questioning me after I might happen to die! I prefer to consider my life colorful."

Marali smiles immensely, then laughs at her own joke.

"I am going to go make some contacts, then get information out of them. I will meet one of you back here at nightfall so you can tell me where we're staying."

With that Marali quickly dashes off after one of the groups NOT going towards where the dead guards remains were found.

[OOC: If the GM wants to stop Marali from separating, this last part can simply not happen.]

Rathgar
2008-12-19, 03:00 PM
Lege

"I'm sorry, I though everyone already had a place to stay. I still have a place in the barracks, at lest for a little while longer. But if someone doesn't have lodging yet, we should go ahead and find somewhere before it gets dark. Though I am still a little worried about the crime scene. Oh well, I'm sure it's already fairly well documented by the watch."

DJDeMiko
2008-12-19, 03:04 PM
Shorrusshumm

"I will join you . . . for a-ssss long a-sss we find each other usefull," Shorrusshumm says with sibilant s's. "I wield dangerouss magicss, but am sstill only one . . . man . . . and their is ssafety in numbersss."

lostsole31
2008-12-19, 03:07 PM
"I volunteer to stay here for you, Marali. I believe that there are skills a person can best do alone or with limited company, and I would not want to dissuade you from an excellent course of action simply because of some misguided sense of 'unit integrity.' The Saint speed you on your journey.

"Lege, I require neither food or sleep, and in truth there are many of my kind - more powerful than myself for I am lowest among my kind - whose very purpose is eternal vigilance."

[Ninja'ed by DJ! Dice...]

dresdor
2008-12-19, 03:36 PM
To the two motive sensors:

You both feel that this individual means no harm to you and is looking to be of use to the party (for whatever reasons). He does genuinely believe he wields powerful magic.

Beyond that, nada.

Sir Shadow
2008-12-19, 03:50 PM
COLOR="Green"]"That is what I meant ... not ripping a fraction of a man's soul from his deserved afterlife to play 20 questions! Such things are meant for those who lived an ill life."[/COLOR]Despite any trouble they others might have had noticing a blush from him, they would certainly see the color of his scales deepen with splashes of red. "WHAT??? How dare you!? No true servant of The Arbiter would think of manipulating a soul against its will! To speak with the dead, is merely to learn what is in the mind of the corpse, the soul is never touched!!!"

Visibly, he took deep breathes to calm himself down. "Anyways, the spell wouldn't work if somebody else had already used it on the corpse for information... So it's an unreliable way to go about getting information, we'd have to hope nobody else had gotten there first. No, I'm not a skilled physician. My skills are more focused on putting down the living dead, not mending those that still breath. I guess I could join Marali and try to find out something..."

He glanced around, noticing that the hour was growing late and the other groups were already setting out. As he heard the latest stranger approach, he felt a different type of outrage burning inside him. That accent was all too familiar.

Hellbore
2008-12-19, 08:10 PM
Vaen

"I will accompany you also" Vaen said. "I wish to see the crime scene for myself, though we should probably wait until tommorow. I will abide by your decision... Lege, was it?"

Turning to the elf cleric, he spoke in elven, "It's probably best if you just follow. Your skills will likely be needed."

At the approach of the newcomer, Vaen wondered at the strange accent, but let it pass. He began thinking back on what he has learned, to see if he could think of anything that may help.

Rathgar
2008-12-19, 09:32 PM
Lege

"Well, we might as well go ahead and begin stocking up on any equipment we'll need for our trip to the scene. It'll take us about a day to get there, so we need to go ahead and get everything together today so that we can get up early in the morning and depart. Unless you want to either travel through the darkness or stop midway."

[OOC - Fixed based upon below statement]

dresdor
2008-12-19, 11:15 PM
OOC: only problem I see is that the crime scene is 1 day's journey away from here.

MorhgorRB
2008-12-20, 03:51 AM
"Well! It seems we know where we're going, if not the order of the walking line!" She says, lifting her hood back onto her shoulders, and shaking out her hair. "So... we going to the Inn first? I mean, walking all night might be alright with you people... but I'm accustomed to a more comfortable way, you know?"

Rathgar
2008-12-20, 04:20 AM
Lege

Lege laughed in response to the girl's statement. "I'm sorry, sometimes I come across as being more serious that I really am. I was only being sarcastic about traveling in the middle of the night." Lege looked at the girl for a second or too. "I'm sorry, I don't think I've introduced myself to you yet. My name is Lege. And your name would be...?"

ForzaFiori
2008-12-20, 07:15 AM
Amras

I too will come with you. I know little of the mundane arts of healing, but it is possible that there may be other clues to sort out. Amras says to Lege. However, before we go, I for one would like a nights rest, preferably at a fairly cheep in to conserve my coin.

DJDeMiko
2008-12-20, 11:56 AM
Shorrusshumm

"SSleep? but it isss only midday. Their are many hourss of daylight left and the other groupss will have an entire day on usss."

MorhgorRB
2008-12-20, 02:41 PM
Shorrusshumm

"SSleep? but it isss only midday. Their are many hourss of daylight left and the other groupss will have an entire day on usss."

Extends her hand to Lege, "Well, you can call me Xis. It's easier than bothering with my full name." She tilts her head to the more serpentine tongued one, "Well, of course we're not wasting today... but there's no point in travelling through the night when we spent all this time coming to hear this proclamation... We'll be too tired on our feet to manage anything! Besides, I need a bit of time in civilization, I've been almost week on the road here, and camping is great, but I need a hot bath just about now..."

Hellbore
2008-12-20, 08:39 PM
Vaen

"I agree with Xis. It might be an idea to for some of us to to stock up on supplies, while others secure rooms for tonight." Pulling back the hood of his cloak, he ran his hands through his short dark hair. "I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one plan to spend tonight in comfort."

Rathgar
2008-12-20, 09:21 PM
Lege

"Well, I guess it's settled then. We'll stay tonight and meet back here at 0900 hours. I already have everything I'll need, plus lodging for the night, so I'll go and see if I can get any more clues from the authorities here before we leave. I know that they most likely weren't there, but they can at least send us on the right path.".

ForzaFiori
2008-12-20, 10:04 PM
I'm set for supplies, so I think I'll head to the inn. Where are we meeting tomorrow?

MorhgorRB
2008-12-20, 10:04 PM
Xis

"Well, if that's all then!" She waves, heading off down the road, pausing only a moment to call back, "See you in the morning!" She looks about town for a while, checking at various inns and stopping by a few of the roomier taverns to see how the accomadations are.

lostsole31
2008-12-20, 10:09 PM
"Well, in that case, I shall leave the vigil of the yard here, and return at mid-morning tomorrow. I wish you all excellent endeavors, rest, and care."

Valnorath bows and departs the group.

[Valnorath's intentions from now to tomorrow are listed in the OOC thread.]

Rathgar
2008-12-20, 10:11 PM
Lege

"Sorry for the lack of clarity. I meant where we now stand, more or less."

ForzaFiori
2008-12-20, 10:30 PM
Excellent. I will see you tomorrow then. Amras walks into the city, heading towards the Mystic Lodge Inn that was mentioned earlier in the conversation. As he goes, he marks the way back to where they are to meet.

Hellbore
2008-12-21, 02:52 AM
Vaen

"Very well, see you tomorrow" Unlike the others Vaen still had something to pick up, before heading to the Mystic Lodge Inn. One of those things included a crossbow.

dresdor
2008-12-22, 12:22 AM
To ease things a bit, here is what those information gatherers (except Xis who did indeed just get a little drunk and flirted with) got:

It seems that several groups set off yesterday and got special information from the King.

Most groups seem to think heading West will lead them to the Demon.

A Lord General and his military escort headed West for unknown reasons yesterday.

Additionally, it seems that the King has recently been awarded the position of Lord Commander of the Knights of Jalatar.

For simplicity's sake, those of you heading to an inn end up at the same one: The Mystic Lodge Inn (various others not having decent enough prices, available rooms & what-not). It is a simple inn with very decent prices (everyone who stays overnight subtract 2 silver for room & board). The fare is simple, but filling.

For those of you who are waiting for a certain dwarf, she eventually returns, smelling of smoke and stale ale.

Specific messages have been dispatched to those that saw more or differently than above, check your PM mailbox for info.

Time: about 6PM. The sun is setting.

DJDeMiko
2008-12-22, 12:34 AM
Shorrusshumm

Shorrusshum does not hide his annoyance at spending a day in town. He is a military "man" who wants to charge off after the monster and he views any time here as "wasted" considering that the meeting was over early in the day. When he turns in he makes pointed comments about needing an early start to make up for the fact that all the other groups have a days head start.

Sir Shadow
2008-12-22, 10:52 AM
Jaggers

A lone kobold stands in the middle of the court that had been filled before. A few passerbys milled around, but he payed no heed to their inquisitive glances.

He yawned momentarily, Where is that dwarf? The little guy was actually surprised that he had arrived first. His information gathering had not gone so well, and he hoped that maybe she had faired better. There were rumors aplenty, but nothing really substantial that they could go off on. It appeared that the other groups had been rather tight-lipped.

Rathgar
2008-12-22, 08:51 PM
Lege

After gaining what he deemed a satisfactory amount of information on the subject, Lege decided to return to his room in the barracks to think the clues over.

dresdor
2008-12-23, 01:15 AM
In the interests of speeding this along a bit.

Those that wait for her to show up, your dear dwarf "War Surgeon" is a no-show.

Those at the inn, you wake refreshed and ready to start the day. It will take you about 8 hours at a brisk pace to get to the Black Dragon and where the guard was killed.

Hellbore
2008-12-23, 01:48 AM
Vaen

Refreshed after a night's sleep, Vaen headed out of the inn, his new crossbow, slung across his back. Making his way to the square were the king's announcement was made he sits back and waits for the other's.

Rathgar
2008-12-23, 05:32 AM
Lege

Walking into the square only shortly after Vaen, Lege pulled out his waterskin and took a sip of water. "Good morning, Vaen! I'm glad to see that at least one person heard the time. But the others still have about five minutes left. I sure hope none of them are no-shows." The Enforcer began to smile. "I hope you slept well last night, for we have a long day ahead of us." Lege pulled out the small mirror he kept in his bag and began to look at himself. I mustn't allow myself to appear sloppy, or I might give the followers of Jalatar a bad name. How can one portray an image of order if one can't even keep their own hair combed. Lege pulled out his comb and began to comb his hair. Besides, that one team member of the feminine persuasion sure is cute. Maybe...no, Lege, get a hold of yourself! I must stay professional here. This may be one of the greatest problems of our time, I mustn't goof off.

After a moment of just standing there deep in thought, Lege did the one thing he could think of to distract himself and began to talk to Vaen again. "So, did you hear anything important yesterday that might help us on our quest?"

Hellbore
2008-12-23, 07:10 AM
Vean

Thinking that this follower of Jalatar should really lighten up some, Vaen answered, "Well, I did learn that several groups set off yesterday and got special information from the King and that a Lord General and his military escort headed West, though no one could say why. Most of the other groups that left yesterday also went West." He looked sidelong at the enforcer from beneath his hood. "Did you also know that King Dreym has recently been awarded the position of Lord Commander of the Knights of Jalatar. He is turning to the priesthood more and more."

What he had seen yesterday of the kings behaviour was merely hardening his suspicions that the king was a puppet for the church. He wouldn't be talking about those in front of this man though, no sir. He liked his freedom too much for that.

MorhgorRB
2008-12-23, 08:15 AM
Xis

Makes her way into the courtyard slowly, stopping to peer into the occasional shop window, brushing her hand through her hair absently whenever she does. Upon spotting others already in the courtyard before her she waves cheerily to them and continues to walk relaxedly down the street, "One for being right on time, hm?" She smiles, momentarily, as she gets closer, "Oh, I didn't catch your name yesterday... Want to share?" She asks Vaen.

"And has anyone seen our Dwarven friend from yesterday?"

EDIT'd. >.>

Rathgar
2008-12-23, 12:29 PM
Lege

"Yes, Vaen, I heard that too. I can't really blame the man for seeking the help of..." Lege stopped when the lady walked up. He couldn't tell what it was about her that drove him wild. Maybe it was her hauntingly beautiful eyes. Lege, calm down and keep professional.

Lege turned to Xis. "So,...good to see you here so early." He paused for a second. "So...um, no, I haven't. Have you Vaen?"

DJDeMiko
2008-12-23, 12:50 PM
Shorrusshumm

"Sshall we be departing ssoon or do you need another day sspent ressting while the otherss get headsstartss on ussss?"

lostsole31
2008-12-23, 02:08 PM
Valnorath steps forward ... "I have been here since an hour before midnight this past evening. Marali did not come." Lege, do we seek her out, or wait for her here? I think we could use her very focused skills.

Rathgar
2008-12-23, 02:57 PM
Lege

Lege shook his head. "I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. Does anyone know where the dwarf might have gotten off to? I guess we should look a little bit, but not very long. If nobody has any ideas, we should split up looking. I'll stay here in the square and keep an eye out for her. In about ten minutes, I'll blow this whistle three times, pause, then two times. That's guard code for a search party to regroup at the designated meeting place. I designate the meeting place to be here.

Lege's eyes begin to look around the square, trying to see if the dwarf is trying to pull some joke. "Before we split up, does anyone have any special training for finding things? Honestly, my training is more conducive to duty on the B.R.U.T.E. Squad than finding people in hiding, not that I haven't tried."

lostsole31
2008-12-23, 03:27 PM
"Lege," Valnorath says, "You are a man of the people and know this town; you should lead the search. I offer to stay here, if you hand me the whistle and tell me an appropriate amount of time to wait before blowing it as you have instructed."

Rathgar
2008-12-23, 03:31 PM
Lege

[color=blue]"I am afraid I cannot let you borrow this whistle, sorry. It was given to me by my father when I entered school, and so it has special significance to me. However, there is no need to lend you the whistle, even if I depart from here. It's a loud whistle, and could be heard from most parts of town."[/blue]

lostsole31
2008-12-23, 03:51 PM
Valnorath

"Fairly spoken, Lege. I will await others return here upon the sounding of your whistle."

MorhgorRB
2008-12-23, 04:01 PM
Xis

"That poor dwarf, she got herself lost already... I call looking for her!" She exclaims, heading toward a nearby alley, "Oh... you want it all organized... I could get up on the rooftops and run messages back and forth... and we could split up to cover more streets that way..." She saunters her way over to one of the shorter homes nearby, "If someone would give me a hand up?"

[[OOC: This is just an idea, if the rooftops aren't workable for this sort of plan, just tell me. >.> ]]

Hellbore
2008-12-23, 08:00 PM
Vaen

Turning to Xis, he bowed his head slightly and said, in elven, "I am Vaen, a sorcerer. I am glad to make your acquaintance." Turning back to the others he said, "It'll take about 8 hours at a brisk pace to get to the Black Dragon and where the guard was killed. Do we dare waste more time, many others have a large head start on us. If the dwarf wants in she can catch up."

Every moment wasted took him further from the reward and if the dwarf was not part of it, then it was more gold for him.

Rathgar
2008-12-23, 08:23 PM
Lege

"Ten minutes or so isn't going to make that much of a difference. Besides, this isn't about money, it's about justice. And besides, a field surgeon's skills would be most beneficial to our cause. But if finding her takes too long to be found, we must press on."

Sir Shadow
2008-12-23, 09:16 PM
Jaggers

The kobold wasn't too inclined to go searching after the Dwarf. Though he didn't need much sleep, he was nevertheless put off. He inclined his head toward the Sorcerer as he mentioned leaving the dwarf behind and letting her catch up. It was a good point, the other groups were quickly getting ahead of them.

Hellbore
2008-12-23, 09:50 PM
Vaen

Seeing that kobold at least agreed with him, Vaen held fast to his stance. "If you want to look for the dwarf, go ahead. I can't do this on my own so I'll wait right here for your return. Just don't be surprised if she's already left ahead of us." With that, Vaen crossed his hands over his chest and leaned on the quarterstaff tucked into the crook of his arm, willing to wait out the no-doubt fruitless search.

Rathgar
2008-12-23, 10:16 PM
Lege

"Well, here we go. I'm going towards the apothecary's. One of her craft might need to pick up ointments or salves for the journey." Saying that, Lege left the square. HE looked for the dwarf or any clues as to her whereabouts, including asking the occasional passerby.

dresdor
2008-12-24, 01:25 AM
Those that are still waiting quickly hear two dwarves talking boistrously. The conversation they catch is:

"...believe old Bartlebrew found some young dwarf lass needing a way to the Black Dragon? So he said "Hop on up lass'

"And she did? Ha! These young dwarves are far too trusting. Where were the trusting dwarf lasses in our day, Goln?"

"None like that lass existed in our day, Burin. She was a fine young lass. Long hair all the way down her back. And did you see her weapon?"

"Aye, I've never seen a metal dyed so professionally that deep blue color. Close to steel's natural hues, so that makes it hard...."

The conversation fades into the distance.

lostsole31
2008-12-24, 01:37 AM
"It would seem," says Valnorath to those staying with him (such as Vaen), "that we have been abandoned by our war surgeon ... unless there is some other reason of which I know naught. Let's wait here, yet; Lege should not be long. Then, we'll let him know what we heard and be on our way."

[dresdor ... dice]

DJDeMiko
2008-12-24, 01:44 AM
Shorrusshumm

" . . . you don't think . . . of all the damn groupss I choosse to team up with . . ."

lostsole31
2008-12-24, 01:58 AM
Valnorath

"Don't worry, Shorrusshum," at least we have Xis to help us in matters of stealth. "Now, had we lost you ... things might be more dire. It's not often that a group is blessed with a warmage such as yourself."

DJDeMiko
2008-12-24, 02:16 AM
Shorrusshumm

Shorrusshumm's leathery face remains still and it is hard to tell if he feels complimented or thinks he is the butt of a joke.

"I dessided on this group becausse I believed mosst of the it looked confident and it had already attracted thosse . . . well people who would be lessss quesstioning of my appearansse," Shorrusshumm says pointedly. "I now think that I wass wrong to exspect the ssame level of disscipline in an adventuring group that I found in the army . . . and i fear that we have already losst a ssignifigant amount of time. That being ssaid, the dwarf attached hersself to uss, we can not leave an ally behind. We musst track her down."

MorhgorRB
2008-12-24, 01:59 PM
"Guys? I know we just met her and all... but she is part of the team..." She sighs softly, "Well, we need a way to tell them where we're going. Just following everyone else that's headed west?" She looks appraisingly at Shorrusshumm, "Maybe you could tell them where we're off too, then we can all meet back up there? We should be able to find a bit out by the time you catch up, and it'll waste less time, which seems to be what you like to fret over..."

ForzaFiori
2008-12-25, 01:49 AM
Amras

Amras comes running up to the party, stopping and breathing heavy for a few seconds. Whew. Sorry about being late. I got carried away in a conversation with a new friend at the inn. What all did I miss? Speaking of missing things... our group seems smaller. Where are our fearless leader Lege and the war surgeon dwarf?

lostsole31
2008-12-25, 05:33 AM
Valnorath of the Lawgiver

"Lege is looking - briefly -in town for the dwarf. However, we overheard that Marali has left without us and is out of town. Lege should be here momentarily, Amras."

ForzaFiori
2008-12-26, 12:27 PM
Excellent. I long to be on our way. The night in town was nice, but I agree with the dragonborn. We've lost alot of time.

Rathgar
2008-12-26, 05:59 PM
Lege

The shrill sound of a whistle being blown could be heard resounding through the city streets three times, then, after a pause, two more times. After a minute or two, Lege returned to the square. "I do believe I have discovered what happened to Marali. I spoke with some guards while I was gone, and they said that a dwarf matching her description was seen last night heading west. I'm afraid that is all I've heard. Does anyone else have any information they'd like to share?"

lostsole31
2008-12-26, 11:52 PM
Those that are still waiting quickly hear two dwarves talking boistrously. The conversation they catch is:

"...believe old Bartlebrew found some young dwarf lass needing a way to the Black Dragon? So he said "Hop on up lass'

"And she did? Ha! These young dwarves are far too trusting. Where were the trusting dwarf lasses in our day, Goln?"

"None like that lass existed in our day, Burin. She was a fine young lass. Long hair all the way down her back. And did you see her weapon?"

"Aye, I've never seen a metal dyed so professionally that deep blue color. Close to steel's natural hues, so that makes it hard...."

The conversation fades into the distance.

Valnorath relates what he heard (above) to Lege.

Rathgar
2008-12-27, 12:11 AM
Lege

Suddenly, a wave of shock poured over the face of Lege. "By the honor of Jalatar, that sounds serious!" He took a deep breath to calm himself down. "I have seen things like this before, if what I'm thinking of is what actually happened. If not acted upon, I fear for the worst. I am afraid that we should conduct a rescue mission immediately. I'm sure that the scene of the incident is well enough combed over by now, anyway. Does anyone have any reasonable objections?"

lostsole31
2008-12-27, 12:26 AM
"None from me," replies Valnorath.

dresdor
2008-12-27, 01:01 AM
*The DM watches evilly from behind his screen, laughing evilly, and eating nachos evilly*

So....are we finally heading out west in search of clues for the whereabouts of your dwarven lass?

lostsole31
2008-12-27, 01:17 AM
Yes, for the sake of all that is good and holy ... can we, please?

EDIT: How exactly are nachos eaten evilly, I wonder?

dresdor
2008-12-27, 01:42 AM
The salsa is made of kitten blood. Cute kittens that god loves.

*munch*

lostsole31
2008-12-27, 01:44 AM
ROFLMAO!!!! :belkar:

Sir Shadow
2008-12-27, 03:28 PM
Jaggers

The small kobold cursed in his native language (draconian) and rolled his eyes several times as he listened to the large folk talk. Although he liked their dwarven companion, he was getting annoyed at the amount of time they were wasting by just standing and talking. "ALRIGHT, THEN LET'S START LOOKING FOR HER! SHEESH!"

Jagger's purple scaled reddened slightly with anger, as he tapped his foot. "Well, lead the way!"

dresdor
2008-12-28, 01:00 AM
In the interest of moving this along, let's assume that we all agree (if you don't agree, PM me and let me know what you'd like to do as a course of action)

The party quickly sets to work to rescue their fair dwarven lass, and after searching for any sign or clue, finds that the old dwarf that was last seen with her was making a delivery to one of the watchtower garrisons North of Jalam, the city of the prophet. If you hurry you can make it there by nightfall.

lostsole31
2008-12-28, 01:22 AM
Unless I missed something important ... why are we saying we are "rescuing" her?

Rathgar
2008-12-28, 02:19 AM
Lege

Being convinced of what needed to be done, Lege decided there was no time to lose. "To the holy city of Jalam!" Lege couldn't help but half shout this, because not only was this the first operation he'd led, it was also the first time since he'd been to the holy city since the pilgrimage he went on as a child.

lostsole31
2008-12-28, 03:28 AM
And so we go ... "May the Saint show us success on our mission to smite the demon!" prays Valnorath softly.

DJDeMiko
2008-12-28, 11:00 AM
Shorrusshumm

Shorrusshum raises a scaly eyebrow at Lege's exuberance. "Yess," he says, "Letss go."

Shorrusshumm begins walking with the others.

ForzaFiori
2008-12-28, 11:45 AM
Amras follows along with the others. He walks up to Lege, and quietly asks a question. What makes this holy city so holy? Please excuse my ignorance, but I am not from this land, and your god is not my patron, so I have little knowledge of your religion.

Rathgar
2008-12-28, 03:45 PM
Lege

Lege told Amras the story of why Jalam is considered a holy city. "Many years ago, this land knew not of the true virtues of order that it knows of today. Then came Jalatar, the Just. After he began to preach and teach what came to be known as the Ordena Publiko, many people of many different ethnic and racial backgrounds began to see the light. The early priesthood of the blossoming religion established themselves in Jalam, the place where Jalatar resided for many years. Now, these many years later, numerous pilgrims travel to this most venerable of cities to see where everything began." Lege began to smile. "Jalam is not a holy city in the sense that it is filled with nothing but good, for even those living in the Seven Mounting Heavens are deluding themselves to believe any such city might exist. This city is considered holy because of the deep rooted religious and historical significance that can be felt in the city. I'm sorry if you thought that it was the former rather than the latter, but our language is sometimes ambiguous and a little bit difficult for foreigners, this region's dialect especially."

dresdor
2008-12-28, 11:03 PM
The party leaves the fair metopolis and heads for the village of Jalam. Through the journey, Lege tells everyone of the wonders of the Temple there and his boyhood journey to the village.

About a half hour before they expect to reach the village, smoke can be seen and the smell of burnt flesh. The direction of the smoke seems to be along the path you are travelling: To Jalam.

Time: about 2 in the afternoon
Conditions: Clear and Sunny, warm (75 degrees F)
(Just FYI it is late summer, and I will just be using earth calendar for convenience sake, with the Draym notation included. days of the week are the same)
Tuesday, 23rd of August (23rd of Thunder)

Rathgar
2008-12-28, 11:20 PM
Lege

A look of sheer shock poured over the face of Lege. "By the justice of Jalatar, what is going on?! We must make haste, for it appears that some truly fiendish forces are afoot!" Lege lowered his head. "I sure hope that the town militia is getting this under control," he muttered under his breath. Then, Lege's look of dispair changed to one of determination, and he began to shout. "We must get as soon as possible, for there are likely many who need our help! Hurry, and be ready for trouble at a moment's notice! We may have foes come at us at any time and from any direction, so be observant! We don't want to be ambushed, not at this time of great need for the people of Jalam!"

lostsole31
2008-12-28, 11:25 PM
Valnorath gets a javelin out and continues to travel - at whatever pace Lege sets.

Sir Shadow
2008-12-28, 11:42 PM
Jaggers (HP 6/6) (1st 3/3) (Exp 0/1000)

The small creature wore a grim expression as he followed close behind Lege. Burning flesh was not a new smell to him, considering he had cremated his share of corpses in sevice of the Arbiter--not to mention the funerary house.

This didn't bode well for their dwarven "friend". Sure, he liked the girl, but if it seemed like only death awaited them at Jalam, the little kobold was certainly pragmatic enough to get the heck outta danger's way.

Jagger Grimfingers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=97588)
Male TN Kobald Dread Necromancer, Level 1, Init +2, HP 6/6, Speed 30 ft.
AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Crossbow, Heavy +3 (1d6, x3)
Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size, +1 Natural)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 18
Condition

DJDeMiko
2008-12-28, 11:50 PM
Shorrusshumm

Shorrusshumm twists the knots off his spell component pouches and draws his weapon. Without a word he follows the others towards the smoke.

Rathgar
2008-12-29, 01:13 AM
Lege

Lege drew his mace, for he knew not when someone might raise their hand in aggression.

ForzaFiori
2008-12-29, 09:23 AM
Amras

Amras draws his bow, quickly saying a prayer to Bahamut to see him through whatever difficulty is in Jalam

dresdor
2008-12-29, 11:03 AM
As you reach the outskirts of Jalam, Lege's heart drops. The once beautiful village, with it's towering temple to Jalatar, is now a smoldering ruin. Stone masonry lies crumbled and burnt out. In the center of town there is a hole surrounded by crumbling masonry, as if something huge was ripped out of the earth. On the far side there is a large burned area of ground that looks like something massive was set to flame.

There seems to be nobody left in the town. All of the buildings are destroyed, most to the point you cannot tell they were buildings.

Rathgar
2008-12-29, 11:22 AM
Lege

Lege couldn't believe his eyes. "This can't be. Who could do such a thing? Is this the work of The Demon? Or has he gained followers? I swear, you will be avenged, Jalam! We must find who did this and bring them to justice!" Lege swapped out his mace for his sap. "Take them alive if you can. That way we can question them. But first, we must search this place for any clues that may help us. Let's start here at the entrance to town, then work our way to the temple. We mustn't split up, for there is no telling what danger still lingers."

Fixer
2008-12-30, 09:57 AM
Marali comes over the top of a pile of rubble, looks at the group, then around her, and quickly states the following: "Before I say anything else, I want you to know that THIS (gesturing to the village) was SO not my fault. In fact, I wasn't even here when it happened. It was like that when I got here. I swear!" With that said Marali walks over to the group.

dresdor
2008-12-30, 10:19 AM
As the party searches through the ruined city, they come accross a small number of interesting facts.

First, they find in the burned out area bones of a massive creature, at least 100 feet long and 50 ft wide. Why it was burned or what it was is a mystery. The rest of the town is more or less just a ruin, and not much is found. Until Xis makes a startling discovery. She finds Marali, hiding in part of the ruins.

DJDeMiko
2008-12-30, 11:25 AM
Shorrusshumm

"Iss that sso little dwarf . . ."

Fixer
2008-12-30, 11:40 AM
"Have you met a lot of big dwarves to need that extra qualifier?" Marali quipped with a grin. "So, which is it? Did I finally catch up to you or did you finally catch up to me?"

lostsole31
2008-12-30, 11:51 AM
"Marali, so good to see you! What happened? Why did you leave us? Have you learned anything?"

"Amrath, perhaps while those more suited to searching continue that endeavor, we should conduct some manner of funeral for the souls who perished here. I would like to assist you in this terrible burden, if you'll let me."

Rathgar
2008-12-30, 12:20 PM
Lege

"Well, we came here to rescue you, Marali. But it appears that you weren't the one who needed rescuing. Who did this, and where are the other survivors? They probably need help right about now."

Sir Shadow
2008-12-30, 12:56 PM
Jaggers

"It would appear that we caught up to you." The kobold stated in a rather matter-of-fact way. It was easy to tell he was getting a tad annoyed by this wild goose chase.

lostsole31
2008-12-30, 01:05 PM
Valnorath's face suddenly slackens in shock as his eyes widen.

"M-my friends," he stammers lightly. "Whereas many of you mayhaps chose this quest for the glory and the gold, I would have seen it completed for the end goal of ridding this world of a demon. So, honestly, it is less important to me that WE succeed in this quest; rather, it is more important that the quest succeeds."

"That being said," he continues, "how many of our 'competitors' do you think came here last night? We made easy time ... what was it, three teams of adventurers?"

"Gone. Obliterated. Three groups of persons that might have hindered us for competition - or just as easily might have made worthy allies as the quest came to close. Regardless, the main bulk of those that might have the capacity to help us should our own numbers dwindle came here ... the initial site of the attack."

"Lege, I know that you and the others may not wish to double back ... but I feel that word must be sent back to the king as soon as possible. I believe we should - for safety's sake - all go. But if you do not think it wise, then I am am fleetest of foot and offer to go myself to the capital to tell of what I have seen here, and then to return here and try to find you as best I can. But something that can wipe out a town must be brought to the king's attention immediately!"

Fixer
2008-12-30, 01:07 PM
"Ah, I see. Last night, when none of you were waiting for me at dusk, I thought you had left town to get a head start on things and I have been working hard to follow your trail. It appears instead of following your trail, I have been making it." Marali laughs brightly at this unusual turn of events, then listens to Valnorath's response.

"Well, all is not for naught! I have learned a great many things in the time we have been separated. However, what I have learned has also caused me to realize that I do not know any of you as well as I need to to know if you SHOULD be told this information." Marali pauses for a moment, as if to consider her words carefully. "I must ask of each of you a single question. If you answer honestly, it will tell me if you can be told. I can assure you the King is already aware of what has happened here."

"Which is more important to each of you personally? Loyalty, or Truth? Yes, you must choose one or the other."

DJDeMiko
2008-12-30, 01:12 PM
Shorrusshumm

"Yess, the authoritiess musst be told . . . however, we should sscan the area and ssearch. A few minutess will not sslow us overly and we may find ssomething important . . ."

Shorrusshumm does not seem at all phased by the destruction around him. In fact, he seems to be surveying it callously, as if he sees it as a curious problem rather than a horrible event.

Sir Shadow
2008-12-30, 02:44 PM
Jaggers

The kobold was more surprised at the dwarf's question than what little she revealed. He had been waiting in the square all night, no matter what the girl's sense of time told her. Snorting, he thought for a moment. How could this matter at all? "Well, Loyalty and Truth... both are manipulated for various purposes... Absolute Truth cannot be revealed until the end, when the Arbiter strips away the layers of deceit and lays it before all to see... Therefore, I must say Loyalty is most important. By being loyal to ideals you can strife to find the truth you are searching for, not to mention loyalty between comrades may at times be more important than sharing all information."

lostsole31
2008-12-30, 03:37 PM
Valnorath whispers quietly in Marali's ear: "I would speak with you in private about your hand's new adornment and how you came by it, for I know what it is."

EDIT: [OOC, sorry, I missed several posts including your explanation of the evening's events.]

Fixer
2008-12-30, 03:39 PM
Valnorath whispers quietly in Marali's ear: "I would speak with you in private about your hand's new adornment and how you came by it, for I know what it is."
Marali would whisper back, "I would prefer an answer to my question first. It is not for myself that I ask."

lostsole31
2008-12-30, 04:06 PM
"Truth," says Valnorath. "There are many virtues, mind you, but to uphold Truth is key among them all. Loyalty can be had by murderers and thieves, yes, even more than just respect for power. But even a dissembler who uses honesty as a 'weapon' still deceives.

"Truth, however, is a function of purity; in fact, it is the most powerful, universal concept for purity that most philosophers can name. It is because of its elusive nature and inherent power that people seek it out their entire lives: believing they have found it, only to realize there are deeper truths within the truth they initially sought.

Loyalty, though paramount for any group not ruled by fear or despotism, holds no such latent power all its own."

Rathgar
2008-12-30, 06:27 PM
Lege

"If a prisoner were to be sentenced to deal with the Larnok, this is where they would go. But now, all that remains is this large skeleton, quite possibly incinerated to purge the world of its lawlessness before its anarchic taint could spread like a plague."

Lege turned to the celestial. "Valnorath, as for your idea to warn King Draym of the horrific fate of Jalam. We shall remain here and await your return, for some of the slower ones of us, such as myself, would do naught but slow you down." The enforcer looked around at the remainder of the party. "Unless one among us has some other, faster means of communication, though I don't recall anyone brought a carrier pigeon with them."

"To answer your question," Lege said to Marali, "Truth is more important than loyalty, though not necessarily the knowledge of truth. Within truth there is pure order, though the order might not be apparent without actually knowing all available information. Truth contains patterns, and it is those patterns that govern the very existence of everything, which then have an influence on truth. The truth isn't always pleasant, but one thing it always is is true.

"Any organization worth anything will be built upon the truth, even if it is just the limited perception of the truth available to the founders. Loyalty to such an organization will be inevitably better than loyalty to an organization that is built upon anything but the truth, just as a well oiled machine is a better way to do work than performing said work without a plan. It is not necessary for the cogs in the machine to know the full truth, only that the operator can get the machine to perform the intended goal.

"Luckily for us, Jalatar laid out for us in the Ordena Publiko the truth necessary for the establishing of the highest level of organization: the state. As long as our fair kingdom follows the guidelines laid down by that book, all shall be well; at least, all shall be more or less well as a whole. In light of these facts, we can be assured of the wisdom of loyalty to both the church of Jalatar and the kingdom that was built upon its teachings.

"However, we must always be on the lookout for any attempts at subverting their stability in truth, either by external force internal sabotage. The Demon proves to be a such an external threat, and we must make sure that he is brought to justice, so as to ensure that the loyalties of its people are loyalties towards an organization of truth. Therefore, we must contribute all we can towards the pursuit of The Demon, regardless of any credit or monetary rewards that we may or may not receive."

After his rant, Lege was surprised that he could be so incredibly long winded. Then, following a brief pause, he spoke to the party as a whole again. "With the exception of Valinor, who shall be going to inform the king, we should all continue to search this town for any clues. However, even though we could cover more ground by separating, we should remain together, for I have a bad feeling about this, and I don't want any threats to be able to single us out."

Lege then pulled out his chalk and approached the skeleton. "Before we go searching, though, I need to mark this before I forget." He then proceeded to draw an outline of the skeleton (with a dashed line, so as to save on chalk with such a large amount to draw). After a while, Lege was finished. "There. This will help keep a record of the exact location and position of the remains, in case it may help in the near future."

Fixer
2008-12-30, 07:28 PM
Marali answers Lege's and Valnorath's responses as follows: "I am 90% sure that the King already knows about this. I came here BECAUSE someone told me about this happening a couple days ago, and if they knew then I find it unlikely the King wouldn't know. I have also already spent all morning searching, but by all means knock yourselves out. I could find no survivors and only limited clues. Any chance any of you know Ignan, Auran, or Aquan? I know Terran and could only read one of the set of runes I found. Perhaps with some more readers we can piece together some more clues."

OOC: If the party decides to search the village, Marali will start to search other areas of the village she hasn't already searched. Preferably somewhere that looks like it had money or something sale-able, as she largely ignored those areas previously.

lostsole31
2008-12-30, 07:43 PM
Valnorath thinks for a minute. "Marali, I do not doubt that in all likelihood such destruction wrought upon the land must assuredly be known to those that need to know. I knew that probability before I offered to go.

"Yet until I am sure that the message has reached the court of the king, that other 10% is too much to pass by ... especially when lives are at stake."
"Lege, I am sure that you feel you need your own assurance that Marali has done what she can here. But as a leader you need to learn trust in those that aid you. Time may be against us, so I recommend that instead of re-searching what Marali has gone through, rather receive what further intelligence you can from her and these runes. After that, go as the mission dictates, and I will try to find you as I can."
"Amras, I recommend that you pray to Bahamut to allow you to read what we otherwise cannot."
[Dresdor: OOC]
Valnorath, before he goes, asks Marali to show him where these runes are. He doesn't understand any of these languages, but recognizes that they are the four constituent languages of the elemental planes.

Once he does that [Dice], he will take his leave of Lege and wish the party well, and leave back to the capital.

DJDeMiko
2008-12-30, 08:08 PM
Shorrusshumm

"Thesse disscussionss of morality our pleassent and all, but I think more important isssues are about uss."

Fixer
2008-12-30, 08:16 PM
Shorrusshumm

"Thesse disscussionss of morality our pleassent and all, but I think more important isssues are about uss."Marali looks at Shush and rolls her eyes before responding, "I ssstill insssissst on an anssswer before I ssshare anything, if you please. Which matters more to you?"

OOC: Marali will show anyone who asks where each of the runes are, and explains that the Terran runes state, "Test yourself by stone's embrace; No other trial fear you to face."

DJDeMiko
2008-12-30, 09:10 PM
Shorrusshumm

Shorrusshumm growls with annoyance and says, "I am a ssoldier, loyalty is more important than truth. We can not alwayss know why we do what we do, ass long ass you trusst the man at your back and the one who ssends you out to fight, truth matterss not, only loyalty."

Rathgar
2008-12-30, 11:30 PM
Lege

Before Valnorath departed, Lege spoke to him. "I was not second guessing her work. I just wanted to stay in Jalam until your return, so that you would know where to find us. I trust her findings full well, and thank her for what she has discovered on her own." Lege then turned to Marali. "As for the runes, I'd help you if I could, but i'm not very well versed in foreign languages. I didn't really study that many books, really. The only one I much of at all was the Ordena Publiko, which I've read several times."

lostsole31
2008-12-31, 01:45 AM
"I have seen something like this before, but I can't remember where," says Valnorath regarding the runes. "These are representative of what are called the 'Inner Planes' ... planes not based on philosophy given form, such as my home plane of Celestia ... but the planes of the fundamental building blocks of the Universe: the elements.

"Two things are missing here, though, and those are the planes of Light and Void which represent the expansive and entropic energies of the universe. I see nothing here that is of the Void," says Valnorath, looking around.

"And the Light," Valnorath continues, looking at Marali, down to her adornment, and up again, "is often hard to see, and yet familiar."

To Marali ...
"We have matters to discuss upon my return. But for now, guard them - and it - well."

Valnorath leaves them with that, and heads for the capital.

Fixer
2008-12-31, 06:00 AM
As Marali awaits the last person's answer, she asks Lege, "What is this "Ordena Publiko" thing you keep talking about? What is it? What does it look like?" Then she addresses Shush, "To whom or what are you loyal? Forgive me, but I know nothing more of you than your lisp. You have certainly not been very forthcoming about yourself and what I have learned is potentially very sensitive."

Marali looks around, then a look of fear crosses over her face, "I do not wish to remain inside this village after nightfall. I have had enough dealings with the undead and I doubt these souls died peacefully or were properly lain to rest. Can we set up camp OUTSIDE the village? Please?"

OOC: Reminding GM that I am trying to sense motive on everyone's responses to try to gauge if they are trustworthy about what they are saying.

DJDeMiko
2008-12-31, 10:57 AM
Then she addresses Shush, "To whom or what are you loyal? Forgive me, but I know nothing more of you than your lisp. You have certainly not been very forthcoming about yourself and what I have learned is potentially very sensitive."

"And you have not been forthcoming with mysself either," Shorrusshum says to the dwarf. "To my eyess you abandoned the group and went off by yoursself, then offer excussess over your abssensse, then we find you here in a desstroyed village and ssudenly you begin demanding that we ansswer your questionss. Why don't you ansswer your own quesstion for uss instead of being alloof ass to thier porposse. How are we to trusst you, how are we to beleive you have good intentionss when you act sso? No, I have no more interesst in being treated sso by you until we know more of your intentionss."

Fixer
2008-12-31, 11:32 AM
Marali is rather insulted by having someone so secretive call into question her character. "It appears, then, that you and I will not be cooperating, Shush." And, with that, Marali turns her back to him to make clear she has no desire to speak with him further.

Marali then addresses the rest of the group. "I suppose it is fair to make my own motivations clear. I am an adventurer at heart. I have no loyalties to state, religion, organization, race, or even gender. My only loyalties are to those who stand beside me in battle and that loyalty extends for as long as they are willing to trust me to do the same. I do not believe in profiting at others' expense and try to benefit those less able to take care of themselves than myself. I work for what I keep, and I keep what I work for."

Marali is obviously agitated, but she continues, "What I have learned is politically sensitive. I bear no grudges with this King, any power centers within this kingdom, nor any religions who shepherd the souls of the confused or bewildered. I do, however, know that what I have learned can hurt one or several of those groups and I have no desire to have a big, stupid bullseye painted on my back because I told the wrong people. This is not my home, my land, nor my people and I see no reason to end my career with an assassin's blade for something I care not one whit about. For that reason I will not be sharing what I have learned with Shush. He has demonstrated a hostility towards me I am not comfortable with." Marali spits upon the ground (which seems to bubble and dissolve under her spittle) and then takes a moment to compose herself a bit, then continues a bit more calmly.

"What I will share audibly at the moment is the following:
"The beast that destroyed this city was called a Larnok. Its bones are what Lege has outlined. Apparently it was fed someone who disagreed with it, the person the King named as 'Demon'. This 'Demon' killed it from within, while the Larnok was destroying the city. This information came to me by way of someone in a neighboring town two hours to the north. I have made sure this person is no longer there, arranging for them to leave before any mercenary groups attempt hostile means of collecting information from them. I have discovered runes among the ruins as I have shown, and shared what I know of their translation."

Marali then turns directly at Shorrusshumm with an angry glare in her eyes and nearly yells, "What have you done, besides hide behind robes and make accusations? What have you done to earn any loyalty or trust from anyone? Nothing! I am not going to stand around here and put up with these insults! If this is what I will have to deal with I am far better off by myself!" Marali then turns from the group and starts stomping north in apparent anger.

Sir Shadow
2008-12-31, 02:12 PM
Jaggers

Jaggers was inclined to agree with Marali about Shorrusshumm, if only because of racism. Damn Spellscales... Always acting so haughty.

DJDeMiko
2008-12-31, 05:22 PM
Shorrusshumm

"Little Dwarf, I have acted polite until you began demanding that we reveal perssonal information about oursselvess without exsplaning why and then when ssomeone assked you a quesstion, you further demanded ansswerss to your quesstion."

Shorrusshumm lifts back his hood revealing a human face with mottled green scales mixed into the flesh. His head is hairless, but at the eyebrows and hairline the green scales grow thicker.

"No, You demanded that we sshowed you loyalty and honessty without doing uss the ssimple priveledge of acting the ssame. Not only did you DEMAND our ansswerss while flaunting that you had a ssecret which would only be told bassed on our ansswerss, but you did sso without sshowing uss the ssimple decsencsy that you were demanding of uss."

"When I ansswered your rude quesstion ass you asked, you haughtily told me that my ansswer wass not good enough for you. I told you that loyalty was more important to me than truth and then assked you to ansswer your own quesstion. You demand resspect without giving it. I will tell you that I value the loyalty of peerss and will never sshow you resspect until you are willing to sshow me the ssame amount of resspect."

"If that iss not good enough for you, if you truly beleive that we sshould ansswer to your unexsplained demandss, then you only sshow me that you are not trusst worthy. You sshow ussthat you beleive that your own loyaltiess, your own ssecretts and your reassonss are more important than ourss. I can not trusst you to protect me, if you can not trusst me enough to be honesst."

"I am Shorrusshumm, I am a sspellsscale and a ssoldier. Ass long ass any man who walks bessidess me breathess, I will be nexst to him fighting. I exsspect no lesss of any of you."

Rathgar
2009-01-01, 01:45 AM
Lege

"Shorrusshumm, show some respect to the others on this quest. You've managed to be so harsh that you caused something to happen that I've never seen before: you hurt a dwarf emotionally. Now go apologize to her. We are at a very crucial point in the life of our unit. If we cannot trust each other from the beginning, we'll have even more trouble doing so in the future. If you don't go apologize, it might be wise for us to start considering booting you from the group. In these times, we have no time for bickering." Lege begins to doubt that Shorrusshumm is in the party for the right reasons, but rather is possibly attempting to undermine the group's efforts. To help him decide the reptilian man's loyalties, Lege uses Detect Chaos in Shorrusshumm's general direction.

Fixer
2009-01-01, 05:55 AM
Marali was probably in earshot for part of Shorrusshumm's statement, but by the end she was long gone. She never turned to listen and walks off to the edge of the village, quite a good distance away.

OOC: Marali won't know anything that's said at this distance. She will sit there and think for a while, maybe an hour, before going back to the Black Dragon Inn. She is seriously reconsidering hanging with this group after what has happened.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-01, 10:52 AM
Shorrusshumm

ooc - shush is LG

"I have no interesst in apologizsing to the dwarf, she acted rudely and became upsset when i ressponded in kind. We are wassting time with this argument, I think the current evensts are more important than her bruissed emotionss."

Shorrusshumm surveys the destruction around them.

"My role on the battlefield wass alwayss that of artilery," Shorrusshumm says, "I am not a planner and I am at a losss of what our nexst move iss."

Rathgar
2009-01-01, 11:06 AM
Lege

Though mildly reassured by the findings of his Detect Magic, Lege continued to chew out Shorrusshumm. "I just said what our next move is. You, no, we shall go and talk to Mirali and offer her an apology. She's a perfectly fine team member and, like it or not, she's the one amongst us that knows the most about the current situation. Let us not waste any time, I don't want her to run off, especially since she'll be alone in such dangerous times."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-01, 11:18 AM
Shorrusshumm

"There iss a creature, a demon on the loosse, a town desstroyed like thiss and you want to sspend time trying to cheer up a dwarf throwing a temper tantrum. Go ahead, but keep in mind that if she actss thiss rude and getss upsset at being called on it on the firsst day in the field, you will only be encouraging the behavior by giving in to it."

Shorrusshumm starts to walk towards one of the burned out buildings.

"I am ssure that why you sspend time conssoling her, no more innocsentss will die. I bet the demon is taking a nap right now in fact. We have a job to do, while you wasste your time, I will be doing it. I will ssee if I can find anything elsse while you are with her, though that iss not where I am sskilled, I would rather do ssomething than sspend more time doing nothing and letting that creature sstay loosse upon thiss land."

Shorrusshumm walks off and begins looking through the rubble, clearly without any skill at searching or finding clues.

Rathgar
2009-01-01, 11:46 AM
Lege

Lege was starting to get quite enough of Shorrusshumm's attitude and lack of willingess to cooperate. "No, YOU must talk to her, for YOU are the one who wronged her! It is written that one must try and make amends for those that they wrong! I'm not even asking much of you! I know that what she said wasn't the nicest thing, and she needs to apologize as well, but two wrongs do not make a right! If you do not come with us now, I'm afraid we might be forced to abandon you! I give you one minute to come to your senses, or we're leaving without you! We don't need anybody disrupting our unit's moral and unity!"

Lege turned to the party. "Everybody, start looking for Marali. I don't want her to run off, she is one of our top team members, and we are likely lost without her skill and intelligence."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-01, 12:42 PM
Shorrusshumm

"Leave? Ass far ass I can tell, I am the only one who caress about thiss misssion. You would rather chasse after ssomeone throwing a tantrum than do your job. Have you no code? Have you no caress for the people who died and the demon that we must catch?"

"I would almosst rather you leave. If she iss goign to be rude, do you not ssee that thiss will continue? Every sstep you take, she will be rude to you and offended if you quesstion it. You are ssetting yoursself up for failuress and delayss."

Rathgar
2009-01-01, 05:10 PM
Lege

"We aren't wasting time by attempting to maintain group integrity. We are awaiting the return of Valnorath, as you may recall. But if you don't want to work with us, we are probably better off without you.

Lege turned from Shorrusshumm and pointed towards the city. "We have no time to spare! We must go off in search of Marali now! We shall return to this location at sundown, hopefully with Marali! I don't know how I'll make it without her." With that, Lege walked off into the city to begin the (second) search for Marali.

As he walked down the now desolate streets of this town, he thought of how it used to be a very bustling town, bustling with excitement, with the business of both the merchants and the priesthood, but, most importantly, bustling with the things that allow a child's imagination to run wild. Thinking of how he had lost all of that, Lege couldn't stand to think of losing Marali, too. "Marali! Marali! Where are you?! We need you to come back! Lege continued to shout until his throat began to grow raw, hoping that he could find her.

Fixer
2009-01-01, 08:18 PM
OOC: Unless dresdor has some reason it should happen otherwise, Lege would find Marali and she'd relate to him everything I typed in the OOC thread. She would also tell him some things that I will send to Rathgar in a PM that dresdor told her. Marali trusts Lege to not want to cause undo harm.

Rathgar
2009-01-01, 08:47 PM
Lege

When he found Marali, Lege's mood changed from distraught to joyful. "There you are, Marali! I thought you'd gone and left us for good. I don't know what we'd do without you. you know more than we do, and you're probably the most skilled amongst us. Please, come back with me to join up with the remainder of the unit. You might be glad to hear that Shorrusshumm will likely no longer be a part of it."

Fixer
2009-01-01, 09:46 PM
Lege

When he found Marali, Lege's mood changed from distraught to joyful. "There you are, Marali! I thought you'd gone and left us for good. I don't know what we'd do without you. you know more than we do, and you're probably the most skilled amongst us. Please, come back with me to join up with the remainder of the unit. You might be glad to hear that Shorrusshumm will likely no longer be a part of it."
OOC: Marali's responses were done in PM with dresdor CC'd into it.

Sir Shadow
2009-01-02, 12:23 AM
Jaggers

The situation was becoming quite disastrous. It appeared that this "warmage" was incapable of tact, though Jaggers would assume that in his years of military service, the spellscale should have picked up on how to deal with peers. Then again, being a spellscale, Shorrusshumm probably never thought himself as a "peer" with anyone.

So, while maintaining an air of indifference and squelching any sighs he felt coming on, he assisted Lege in locating their run-away dwarf companion.

"Marali! Shorrusshumm can't help acting like an idiot! He's a spellscale! They're a haughty race that thinks they're better than everyone else! Not to mention, being in military service couldn't have helped his humility. I'm surprised he doesn't buckle under the weight of his own ego! He probably thinks of us as some sort of peasantry or common folk!" The kobold didn't quite feel the need to mention that he, personally, would feel much better if the spellscale was left to scrounge around in the dust.

( OOC: Desdor, you can roll a diplomacy check for me if you want, to see if maybe Jaggers can lighten marali's mood. btw, yes, Jaggers is racist <__< )

Rathgar
2009-01-02, 12:48 PM
Lege

Lege returned to the square with Marali. "Look who I found! I thought we'd never find her, but here she is. Is there anybody out there that has something to tell her? Anybody with scales, maybe?"

dresdor
2009-01-02, 02:05 PM
Jaggers' diplomacy has no effect.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-02, 09:15 PM
Shorrusshumm

Having found nothing useful and seeing the two return to the square, Shorrusshumm returns and here's Lege's statements. He turns to Marli and says,

"They tell me that you are a valuable member of the party. I don't know if you are or not, I have no seen you fight or seen what skills you may possess. However, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. If they say you are valuable then i will trust that they know you better than I.

They also say that I should apologize to you. I will not, I have done nothing to you unprovoked. However, I think that our mission is more important of our dislike of each other and as such we must compromise and put our feelings for each other aside.

I will agree to be civil and polite with you, if you can agree to the same."

Rathgar
2009-01-02, 09:48 PM
Lege

Lege began to began to become annoyed. "What you did wasn't a simple tit for tat. You greatly overstepped what little she did to you. For a while I thought that she would need to make up for what little she did for you, but now I see the big picture: what you did to her was much greater than what she did to you. Now, apologize, or at least carry all her gear for her for the next few days. Unless you and Marali can think of a more fitting penance."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-02, 10:44 PM
Shorrusshumm

"I asked her the exact same question that she asked me and then she stormed off insulted when I became annoyed that she refused to answer it.

I have made her my offer, let us see if she accepts it."

Fixer
2009-01-02, 11:05 PM
Marali states to Lege, "A dwarf always carries their own things unless it would break their legs. It is a pride thing. I appreciate the thought, though."

Marali looks at everyone and says, "Look, what is our purpose here? If our purpose is to hunt and kill this 'Demon' character, then I am in the wrong group. I have told Lege what I have learned and that information has led me to believe the real enemy is probably back where we just came from. In order to know a more specific target, though, we will have to find this kid who has been called a demon and figure out why all these very powerful people want him dead."

"I will not, however, tell that one (pointing at Shorrusshumm) anything. He seems far too eager to cause harm without consideration, and far too eager to kill without thought. Death is not something to be sought out, because it comes for all of us far too soon anyway. We are being used as PAWNS here, and we're going to end up sacrificed unless we learn more about this situation we are in. Look around you. These people didn't know better and now they are dead. I don't want to end up like that." Marali looks at everyone again, wondering if they have any clue what she's talking about.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-03, 02:31 AM
Shorrusshumm

Shorrusshumm stares at Marli Wide eyed.

"This iss exsactly why you can not be trussted," Shorrusshumm says almost stammering through his clear frusration, "You claim to have information of ssome ssort of plot or consspiracsy . . . . and insstead of telling uss, you dancse around the ssubject for all thiss time. How can we ever know that you will come to uss with important information if you act like thiss already."

Shorrusshumm pauses, shakes his head and audibly takes a deep breath and lets it out.

"I have made my offer to work with you in a sivil manner. I do not wissh to be your friend. Do you agree to thiss or refusse. Desspite what you may beleive about my porpossess, of which you have not assked me, I will tell you thiss. I sseek only to protect the citizens of thesse landss. If there iss a demon about rampaging and killing, then I will sstop it. If there is more to thiss sstory, if thiss . . . demon boy . . . you sspeak of iss truly not to blame, then I will sseek the oness who are.

But ass long ass you are mocking me for wanting to desstroy whatever foul evil hass caused thiss, I musst assk, why did you ssign up to kill a demon and then mock the otherss in thiss group who did the ssame.?

dresdor
2009-01-03, 04:37 AM
As the argument heats up, Xis, Lege, and Amras hear some of the rubble nearby shift. Meanwhile, Marali sees an outline in thin air shifting around.

Initiative:

Surprise Round:
Lege
????
Marali
Amras
Xis

Combat Order:
Jagger
Lege
????
Marali
Amras
Sho
Xis
Vaen

The three of you who hear something only know the general area it comes from, Marali can see a rough form, the rest know nothing. Lege?

Rathgar
2009-01-03, 05:06 AM
Lege
HP 11/11
AC 17/Touch 11/Flat Footed 16

"Halt! who goes there!?" Lege yells as towards the rustling sounds as he draws his sap and turns to face the potential foes.

Fixer
2009-01-03, 06:04 AM
Marali Grobrin
HP 9/9
AC 15 / Touch 12 / FF 13 (first two are +4 vs giants)

Marali curses under her breath, "I knew staying around was a bad idea. Too many restless spirits here." Marali prepares her morning star, moves in front of the casters (yes, even Shorrusshumm) and readies an action for anything that moves close enough to attack and seems hostile.

ForzaFiori
2009-01-04, 09:56 PM
Amras Telperiën
HP: 9
AC:18, FF:15. Touch 13

Amras nocks an arrow, readying an action to shoot any hostile approaching their position

dresdor
2009-01-08, 03:49 AM
Here is the map, I'd like everyone's position, the noise/what marali sees are around square C 9

Thanks to rathgar for the grid

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii335/Darbatog/terrain3.jpg

Rathgar
2009-01-08, 04:55 AM
Lege
HP 11/11, Location F7
AC 17, Touch 11, Flat Footed 16

[OOC - I maintain my previous actions (i.e. draw sap, turn to face C9, call to whoever/whatever is there). Main reason for this post is to establish location. I picked this location simply because it's the dead center of the map. If you want me to move farther away from the noise, just tell me. Also, I apologize for the lousy job I did with the grid and it's numbers/letters, but I was trying to get it done so that I wouldn't be holding anyone up.]

Fixer
2009-01-08, 01:02 PM
Marali Grobrin
HP 9/9
Position: G8 (or, if the casters are located elsewhere, Marali would move to be between C9 and wherever they happen to be).

DJDeMiko
2009-01-08, 01:29 PM
Put sho at H8 since he was arguing with Marli and then she put herself in between him and the noise.

ForzaFiori
2009-01-08, 06:36 PM
Amras

Position: H5

Sir Shadow
2009-01-08, 08:38 PM
(( Put Jaggers at G9 and keep what I put before ))

dresdor
2009-01-11, 01:03 AM
Lege
Lege addresses the hidden thing, not sure exactly what or where it is and prepares himself for the worst. Without being able to see anything, a whole host of evil incorpreal undead and being of chaos come to Lege's mind, but he still doesn't know what it is.

Monster
The winds pick up and seem to focus on the area where the noise was heard. The winds roar, and take shape. A humanoid cyclone stands on the rubble of the building. It roars like the bellowing rage of the winds before a storm breaks, and surges forward. It attacks Jaggers, kicking up dirt and debris and slamming it hard into him (2 damage).

Marali
Marali strikes at the screaming vortex of wind with her morningstar. Her weapon seems to just float through it, but the change in the pitch of the wind's roar and the weakening of its winds show that she did some damage to it (3 damage)

Amras
Amras makes a bold move and fires at the creature through the crowd of it, Marali and Jaggers. He misses the dwarf and the lizard, but the vortex of wind veers the arrow down into the dirt, missing the monster completely.

Xis
Xis, unsure of what to do, bides her time, waiting for an opportunity.

Combat Order:
Jagger (wounded 4/6)
Lege
Wind Monster (wounded lost 3 hp)
Marali
Amras
Sho
Xis (Delaying, may move at any initiative)
Vaen

Map:
http://www.geocities.com/mtdungeonmaster/terrain3.jpg

Rathgar
2009-01-11, 01:30 AM
Lege
HP 11/11, Location E9

When the creature poured out of the ruins, Lege realized he probably wouldn't need to bother detaining it. Lege dropped his Sap, looped around the beast to prevent its escape, and drew his Light Mace. "In the name of all that is just, I Smite thee!" yelled Lege as he brought the mace down upon his foe.

[OOC - Drop Sap (Free Action), move F7-E7-D8-E9 while drawing Light Mace (Move Action), Smite Chaos on the creature with Light Mace (Standard Action)]

Fixer
2009-01-11, 07:02 AM
Marali
HP 9/9
Position: G8

Marali is going to tumble to F10 and hope someone sets her up for a flank. She will take a swing, regardless.

Marali would normally start giggling at this point, but the previous bout of nerves with Shush has her not in a giggling mood. She makes no comments.

Sir Shadow
2009-01-11, 10:57 AM
Jaggers (HP 4/6) (1st 3/3) (Exp 0/1000)

The kobold yelped as he was hit by a blast of wind and rock. He wasn't entirely sure what the beast was, but he doubted it was undead. In response, he reaches toward it and pushes negative energy into his hand. This will tell him one way or another if it is undead or not.

(( Jaggers makes a melee touch attack to use his Charnal Touch class ability. This wouldn't provoke an AoO, and I'll let Dresdor do the rolls for it. ))

Male TN Kobald Dread Necromancer, Level 1, Init +2, HP 4/6, Speed 30 ft.
Condition

DJDeMiko
2009-01-11, 11:52 AM
Shorrusshumm

Shorrusshumm sees the creature attacking Jaggers, he takes a step away from the creature and mutters an indecipherable word of magic. A glowing orb of electricty forms in his hand. Shorrusshumm reaches back and throws it towards the creature.

(The rolls were done in the ooc board yesterday, he misses most likely)

ForzaFiori
2009-01-14, 06:14 PM
((Horribly sorry about being late. The thread never came up in my CP))

Amras (F8)
HP:9

Amras drops his bow, draws his sword before moving in to the beast and flanking with Marali

(Drop bow - Free action. Draw Sword - move action, Move (H5>H6>G7>F8) - move action)

dresdor
2009-01-15, 08:59 PM
Jaggers calls upon his inner might and summons a harmful spell. Empowered, he thrusts his hand into the windstorm, and it dies down slightly (1 damage).

Lege runs to assist the lizard, going the long way around. However, in his circumnavigation, he is not prepared as he should be. The windstorm hurls a chunk of masonry at him, which clips his arm. Lege can feel a bruise rising there (2 damage). He presses the attack, swinging his mighty mace down. He knocks a good portion of the debris down and can feel the windstorm weakening (9 damage), however his smite chaos ability seems to do nothing against this force of nature.

Angered, the wind monster attacks Lege, but seems too weak to injure the guardsman.

Marali tumbles, and luckily the wind monster is unable to hit her, however, she is also unable to hit it.

Amras attacks the wind monster, however, he misses poorly. The wind monster seems to distracted by Marali to take advantage of the vulnerable Amras as he charges up.

Shorrusshumm launches a powerful lightning attack at the crowd of melee-ers, and one thing is clear, he misses the air beast completely. The orb comes very close to hitting Lege, but passes harmlessly over his shoulder and into some masonry a short distance away.

Combat Order:
Jagger (wounded 4/6)
Lege (wounded 9/11)
Wind Monster (weak, wounded lost 13 hp)
Marali
Amras
Sho
Xis (Delaying, may move at any initiative)
Vaen (Delaying, may move at any initiative)

Map:
http://www.geocities.com/mtdungeonmaster/terrain4.JPG

Rathgar
2009-01-15, 10:36 PM
Lege
HP 9/11, Location E9

Lege continued to try and fell the creature before it could claim the lives of his team members. "Xis! We could use some or your help over here!"

[OOC - Attack the monster with Light Mace 1d20+6 to hit, 1d6+3 damage]

MorhgorRB
2009-01-16, 12:26 AM
Xis
HP 4/4, Location G7
15 AC , touch 13, Flatfooted 12

Pulls back on her longbow, and releases a hasty shot. "Sorry, was a bit confused by being attacked by... wind?"

[[OOC:My horribly missed attack is in the Dice Roll section... Sorry for being away so long. :smallredface:]]

Sir Shadow
2009-01-16, 12:42 AM
Jaggers (HP 4/6) (1st 3/3) (Exp 0/1000)

Grinning at the realization that this thing is not undead, Jaggers summons his powers once again with renewed vigor reaches out to smite the wind-beast. "Let's be done with this thing!"

(( Jaggers makes another melee touch attack to use his Charnal Touch class ability. This wouldn't provoke an AoO, and I'll let Dresdor do the rolls for it again. ))

Condition

dresdor
2009-01-16, 02:45 AM
Xis fires into the melee after taking so long, however, her poor ability to discern what part of the wind creature was damageable and what wasn't causes the arrow to fly through, and hit Marali hard in the chest (7 damage).

Jaggers touches the wind monster again, and with a roar, it dissapates. The remaining dust and masonry that made it so potent fall to the ground.

Combat Order/Status:
Xis
Jagger (wounded 4/6)
Lege (wounded 9/11)
Wind Monster (defeated)
Marali (Severely Wounded 2/9)
Amras
Sho

Jagger hears a crackling noise coming from behind him, as does Amras. Xis and Sho actually see the monster. Out of the burnt out spot on the ground springs a lick of flame that materializes into a semi-humanoid form of fire. It crackles with delight. It moves with rapid pace, charging and attacking Xis. She feels the heat of the flames, but avoids the damaging strike.

Map:
http://www.geocities.com/mtdungeonmaster/terrain5.JPG
Combat Order/status:
Fire Being
Xis
Jagger (wounded 4/6)
Lege (wounded 9/11)
Marali (Severely Wounded 2/9)
Amras
Sho

Fixer
2009-01-16, 06:37 AM
Marali yips as the arrow hits her hard. "Right, screw this!" Marali then completely backs away from the combat, to a distance of about 20 feet, and tries to avoid getting shot any more by her 'teammates'.

(OOC: Complete withdraw action to avoid provoking AoO, tumbling if this thing has reach.)

Rathgar
2009-01-16, 12:26 PM
Lege
HP 9/11, Location H6

"What? Why are the primal forces attacking us?" shouted Lege as he ran just past Amras on his way to engaging the fiery new threat.

[OOC - Move E9-F8-G7-H6 (move action), attack with light mace (standard action)]

DJDeMiko
2009-01-16, 01:09 PM
Shorrusshumm

On his action

Shorrusshumm growls angrily as his orb completely misses its target. When the new creature appears he decides to not risk throwing another orb.

Shorrusshum runs straight up to the creature, chanting as he does so. As he reaches it, ice forms on his hand and he strikes out with the hand to hit the creature.

Sir Shadow
2009-01-16, 09:00 PM
Jaggers (HP 4/6) (1st 2/3) (Exp 0/1000)

The small kobold raised an eyebrow as he watched the green-skinned being appear out of nowhere and drop unceremoniously to the ground. However, the shock of his comrade's sudden appearance could not overcome his sense of impending doom. And he wasn't dissappointed.

As the next creature appeared, Jaggers hissed in annoyance. Wanting to be finished with this mess, he ran towards it. Pushing even more negative energy into his hand, he swung his arm out to press his hand against the earth elemental.

(( Jaggers moves to I5. He then makes a melee touch attack to use his Charnal Touch ability and release his Inflict Light Wounds into the creature. Of course, that depends on the creature not moving...

I'll let Dresdor roll for the touch attack and the damage because I'm having trouble posting and don't feel like pulling my hair out in the dice thread... ))

Condition

MorhgorRB
2009-01-16, 09:23 PM
Xis
HP 4/4, Location G7

Takes a few quick steps back, draws an arrow, nocks it, and begins pulling back on the fletchings.

((5 foot step out of AoO (hopfully), reload bow.))

Hellbore
2009-01-19, 08:30 AM
Vaen Tairen
HP 5/5, Location H7
AC 11, Touch 11, Flat Footed 10

As Lege charges past him, Vaen moves around the creature (to J5) and casts began gathering energy in his hand. With a gesture he releases the energy and a single ray of ice springs from his hand toward the firey being.

(Ray of Frost at the elemental)

ForzaFiori
2009-01-19, 09:41 PM
Amras (F8)
HP:9

Seeing Marali hurt, Amras steps over to her, raising his hands to gather energy to them as he prays to Bahamut. Finishing his prayer, he reaches out and touches marali on the forehead, healing her of part of her wounds.

((Move: F8-F9. Sacrifice Inflict Light Wounds for Heal Light Wounds))

MorhgorRB
2009-01-20, 03:53 AM
Xis
HP 4/4, Location G7

Releases her arrow quickly, sending it hurtling at the newly formed elemental, already reaching for her quiver, once more.

((Rah. My attack rolls make me sad.))

Fixer
2009-01-20, 12:30 PM
(OOC: Ok, the beast died before Marali would have performed her last action, so to adjust it slightly (with the GM permission, also with the GM rolling an attack roll and damage for Marali).)

Marali smirked as the beast died, only to be caught unawares as the arrow from Xis strikes her hard in the chest, having no opponent to strike. "Right, screw this!" Marali mutters as she observes a new opponent arising from apparent nowhere. Marali draws from her draconic companion and spits a big spitball at the newcomer, trying REALLY hard not to hit anyone friendly. Thankfully, at that moment, the path was clear to the beast.

dresdor
2009-01-21, 01:57 AM
Vaen, apparently awakened from whatever stupor gripped him, finally decides to contribute to the fight, blasting the monster with a ray of frost. It seems to be particularly effective (6 damage).

Xis maneuvers, fires, and accurately sinks an arrow into the fire beast's flesh, however, most of it burned off before it hit, only minorly wounding the monster (1 damage)

Jaggers charges himself with negative energy, preparing to strike the enemy.

Lege rears back and delivers a powerful blow with his mace, unfortunately he only hits the dirt nearby.

Marali gathers her energy and spits at the monster. To everyone's surprise, the spit lands and seems to melt away part of the fire monster (4 damage)

Amras heals Marali (7 damage healed)

Sho runs up and touches the elemental with his cold magic. The attack devastates the being of flame, and reduces it to a pile of cold ash (12 damage)

Combat Order/status:
Fire Being
Xis
Jagger (wounded 4/6)
Lege (wounded 9/11)
Marali (normal 9/9)
Amras
Sho

DJDeMiko
2009-01-21, 02:07 AM
Shorrusshumm

Sho looks around on guard and then turns to the others

"Iss that the lasst of them? Iss everyone alright?"

Rathgar
2009-01-21, 02:17 AM
Lege

Lege scanned his surroundings in an attempt to locate any further threats to the party. "Be sure to keep an eye out for anything else. We know that wind monster wasn't the only nasty surprise in store for us in this town. Who knows, the very rubble around us might rise to threaten us. I pray to Jalatar that such isn't true, but one can never be certain."

Hellbore
2009-01-21, 07:03 AM
Vaen

Even though his efforts in that battle were small, Vean was breathing hard. Looking around for other threats he dipped into his component pouch a pulled out a small piece of leather, gathered energy around it, and with a word and gesture touches himself on the chest, surrounding him with a field to protect him. (Mage Armour)

Still looking around he calls out to the others, "What the hell was that?" He wracks his mind trying to see what he knew of such creatures.

Fixer
2009-01-21, 09:07 AM
Marali remembers something she read, "Test yourself by stone's embrace; No other trial fear you to face." Then she realizes, "EVERYONE, WATCH YOUR FEET! EARTH WOULD BE NEXT!"

Marali looks around for something to climb on, just to get off of the ground, then moves to it.

MorhgorRB
2009-01-21, 12:33 PM
Xis

"But... if there's supposed to be an Earth Elemental... why wouldn't it be with it's friends?" She asks curiously, though she doesn't mind edging in closer to the melee combatants, or combatant, seeing as the group seems to all be mages, to her. "So err... Maybe we should get up into the buildings? Or.. what's left of them."

dresdor
2009-01-21, 12:45 PM
Will post a map soon, if you want to change position from your last posted one, please let me know.

Rathgar
2009-01-21, 12:47 PM
Lege

"That's a good idea Xis, but right now I don't know if we could find a building that is in good enough shape for us to trust not to collapse. I think it would be better to just try and find the high ground, so we can see more." Lege started walking away from the ruins around the old hole, then stopped to speak to everyone. "Come, we might not have much time before the next attack. We can recollect our thoughts when we get to a safer place."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-21, 12:52 PM
Shorrusshumm

Shorrusshumm heeds Marali's words and finds something to climb on as well, inadvertently ending up close to her.

He mutters under his breath "Ass long ass itss not graboidss. I hate graboidss!"

Hellbore
2009-01-21, 06:45 PM
Vaen

Heeding Marali's warning and Lege's advice, keeping an eye on the ground, he follows Lege at a distance of about 10 feet. As he walked he called over to Marali and asked, "Marali, where did you read that inscription you spoke of? It doesn't seem like something that you'd find scribbled just anywhere."

ForzaFiori
2009-01-21, 07:37 PM
Amras picks up the bow he had dropped, climbing onto some rubble and nocking an arrow

Sir Shadow
2009-01-21, 09:21 PM

Jaggers gives a little cheer as the fire-thing falls beneath the onslaught of his allies's attacks. It was particularly satisfying to see the mages's efforts tear the thing apart. After what Marali said, he was beginning to get an idea of what was going on. If it was Wind, then Fire, and now she expected Earth, that could only mean that Water would be last. The tiny kobold backs up slowly trying to remember where the magic writing had been.

(( Jaggers keeps the charge inside him and move to F6, watching for any tectonic movement. ))

Condition

Rathgar
2009-01-22, 03:51 PM
Lege

Lege walked over to whee he dropped his Sap and picked it up. "If everyone is done retrieving their weapons, we ought to go ahead and get a move on to a safer place. Marali has been here longer than everyone else, so it is probable that she knows of the best place to take refuge from any further attacks by such energy beings. We just need to make sure that we don't wander too far from the place where we are to meet Valnorath. I don't want a repeat of the Marali Incident."

[OOC- Move to F7 to retrieve my Sap.]

dresdor
2009-01-23, 02:50 AM
You scramble for cover from an earthen attack. A deafening noise fills the air, the earth does shake slightly. Marali notices the ring on her finger burns. The sky seems to split apart, and something falls to the ground from about 8 feet in the air at Marali's feet. Slowly standing, the party sees that it is none other than their celestial friend, Valnorath.

MorhgorRB
2009-01-23, 03:06 AM
"Valnorath! Your... Are you alive over there?"

lostsole31
2009-01-23, 03:20 AM
Valnorath says very flatly after that unceremonious excursion: "I am in considerable pain." :smallsigh:

He gets up, shakes his head, gets his bearing and says, "What happened? I was on my way here, and then suddenly I felt the queerest feeling in my stomach. Seconds later, I have the hardest feeling on my back as I land here in the ruins of Jalam." :smallannoyed:

It only takes a split second before Valnorath's self-effacement melts in the need for compassion as he makes a quick scan of faces, bodies, and hyper-alert stances. "I see you managed to get into some trouble while I was gone, but I also see that only you are here. Should I congratulate you, or is there a stranger tale to tell?"

Hellbore
2009-01-23, 07:09 AM
Vaen

Speaking up, Vaen replies to the celestial's question matter-of-factly, "We were attacked by elementals. Two of them. We manged to beat them off."

Still looking nervously around Vaen shifts from foot to foot.

Fixer
2009-01-23, 08:01 AM
Marali, upon realizing another attack isn't immediately forthcoming, announces, "There is a town a few hours to the north of here. There is an inn there called the Black Dragon Inn. I suggest we all make haste to get there."

Marali then jumps off her debris and walks over to Valnorath, offering to help support him if he's a bit stunned, and directing him in the direction of the town she just came from.

(OOC: PM to lostsole31 and dresdor forthcoming.)

DJDeMiko
2009-01-23, 10:40 PM
Shorrusshumm

Shorrusshumm also decides that their is no imminent threat and climbs down from the rubble he had perched on.

He looks over to Marali and calls out "Dwarf, you have sstood by me in combat and I have sstood by you . . . that iss ssomething which I resspect. Mayhapss we can get along yet? Learn to trusst each other even?"

lostsole31
2009-01-23, 11:34 PM
Valnorath looks at Shorusshuum: :confused: Not understanding the context of Shush's statement. He shrugs his shoulders. "Yes, let's leave here. I have matters to discuss with you on the road. I want to quit this place of death and vile judgement, but I do not wish to share my information in a civilized area, either."

Rathgar
2009-01-23, 11:59 PM
Lege

"It is good to see you back, Valnorath, though I'm sorry the return journey was so unpleasant. I'm not quite sure what it was that you encountered, so I can't help you there. About Marali's suggestion that we skip town, I think that such a course of action would prove quite wise. The only reason I didn't already suggest that we leave already was the fact that we were waiting for Valnorath, and now that he is here, I think it would be best to go ahead and get out of here."

Fixer
2009-01-24, 09:06 AM
Marali goes over next to Valnorath, helping him after his cometary collision with the earth, and says, "There is a town to the North, like I said. We can be there by dusk if we leave now. My speed won't be hindered any by helping Valnorath along until he is no longer winded so everyone just needs to move. We should also put a spotter up in front, as I will be in back with Valnorath. Xis? Are your eyes as good as your aim?" Marali smirks a bit at the elven woman, then proceeds to help Valnorath along towards town.

dresdor
2009-01-24, 10:48 PM
(Note: all spells you have requested being cast have been cast but nobody has left the immediate area).

The earth rumbles and explodes underneath Shorrusshum's feet. The stone exploding bruises Sho's body, causing some pain (2 damage). The being of earth and rock maneuvers back, prepared to bash into the softer flesh of Vaen.

Combat Order and Status:
Shorrusshum (injured 3/5)
Marali
Xis
Valnorath
Elemental
Amras
Lege (wounded 9/11)
Jaggers (wounded 4/6)
Vaen (Mage Armor)

Map:
http://www.geocities.com/mtdungeonmaster/terrain6.JPG

lostsole31
2009-01-24, 11:35 PM
My quiet chatter with Marali (via PM) are my actions ... that's plenty right there. Valnorath is not an 'experienced' adventurer ... and most likely never was (as in past life) so he has neither greatsword or javelin out while walks.

Of course, once I am no longer flat-footed, I shall take actions as any other person.

MorhgorRB
2009-01-25, 02:52 AM
Xis
"With an ego so large, and being so short, I'm surprised that you can see at all." With that she stalks off to the front, shortsword in hand and muttering.

Fixer
2009-01-25, 07:20 AM
(OOC: Once Marali gets an action, she will be spitting on the thing.)

DJDeMiko
2009-01-25, 12:47 PM
Shorrusshumm

"FOWL CREATURESS!!" Shorrusshum yells and steps back holds his hand up and towards the creature in a stop motion and a white ray shoots out to hit the creature.

5 foot step into 6-7 and then casting ray of frost while no one is in melee.

[roll0] ranged touch attack
[roll1] cold damage

lostsole31
2009-01-25, 01:29 PM
Shorrusshumm

"FOWL CREATURESS!!"

Valnorath looks up and 'ducks' down while scanning the sky for fiendish dire ducks and geese. :smallwink:

dresdor
2009-01-26, 03:45 AM
Shorrusshumm fires off a ray of frost at the earth elemental, doing a significant amount of damage to the earth elemental (5 damage).

Marali spits at the monster, burning it slightly (5 damage)

Combat Order and Status:
Xis
Valnorath
Elemental (injured 10 damage)
Amras
Lege (wounded 9/11)
Jaggers (wounded 4/6)
Vaen (Mage Armor)
Shorrusshum (injured 3/5)
Marali

Rathgar
2009-01-26, 11:21 AM
Lege
HP 9/11

"Not another one. I'm coming." Lege moved into position and beat it with his mace.

Sorry, not feeling very inspired right now.

lostsole31
2009-01-26, 11:51 AM
"Saint Cuthbert and the Hosts of Heavens, for the sake of protection of my charges I commit myself to battle." Valnorath mutters, realizing slower than he should have that battle is truly joined! Valnorath, realizing that several persons are already injured and that they have been getting harried all day, leaps into action.

Valnorath quickly moves to threaten the earth elemental to protect those who are not yet committed to battle, drawing his greatsword as he does so.

"For the souls of all those slain here, heroes, rally to me and strike true!" Valnorath cries as he strikes at the igneous aberration. His blows do not slam down to sunder the creature, but rather Valnorath beats against the elemental's arms, trying to force it to widen its defenses to open it up for others' attacks.
Valnorath moves as follows C7-D6-E5-F5-G5-H5, drawing his greatsword on the move.
Valnorath uses his Martial Study (Vanguard Strike) feat against the creature. I will roll his attack roll on the Dice post. :smallsigh: For simplicity's sake, the effect of the feat is as follows...

VANGUARD STRIKE
Devoted Spirit (Strike)
Initiation Action: 1 standard action
Range: Melee Attack
Target: One creature

You batter aside your foes defenses with a vicious, overwhelming attack, leaving him vulnerable to your allies' blows.

As part of this maneuver, you make a mele attack against an opponent you threaten. If this attack hits, all your allies gain a +4 bonus on ranged and melee attacks against the target until the start of your next turn.

Hellbore
2009-01-26, 06:26 PM
Vaen

Vaen steps back from the creature and with a gesture and muttered word, creates a ray of freezing air and ice from his pointed finger.

Move to H9 and cast Ray of Frost. Rolls in the Dice thread

Sir Shadow
2009-01-28, 12:19 AM

The small kobold raised an eyebrow as he watched the green-skinned being appear out of nowhere and drop unceremoniously to the ground. However, the shock of his comrade's sudden appearance could not overcome his sense of impending doom. And he wasn't dissappointed.

As the next creature appeared, Jaggers hissed in annoyance. Wanting to be finished with this mess, he ran towards it. Pushing even more negative energy into his hand, he swung his arm out to press his hand against the earth elemental.

(( Jaggers moves to I5. He then makes a melee touch attack to use his Charnal Touch ability and release his Inflict Light Wounds into the creature. Of course, that depends on the creature not moving...

I'll let Dresdor roll for the touch attack and the damage because I'm having trouble posting and don't feel like pulling my hair out in the dice thread... ))

Condition

dresdor
2009-01-28, 02:17 AM
Xis waits for the appropriate opportunity to present itself.

Valnorath runs up and batters aside the elemental's considerable forearms. This leaves it wide-open to attack from the others.

The elemental, displeased with valnorath's attack, batters him back, but cannot recover from the disruption caused by the celestial.

Amras, spotting the opening Valnorath opens, knocks an arrow and fires it. He misses horribly, but luckily fails to hit any of his allies.

Lege charges up and batters the elemental with his mace. The monster crumbles into particles of dust under the assault (9 damage)

As if it didn't need prompting, once the earth elemental falls, a water elemental rises from the ground behind you. It charges marali and attacks her. The torrent of water bruises Marali, and she feels like parts of her skin have been flailed away by the water (2 damage).

Combat Order and Status:
Xis
Valnorath
Amras
Lege (wounded 9/11)
Jaggers (wounded 4/6)
Vaen (Mage Armor)
Shorrusshum (Wounded 3/5)
Marali (wounded 7/9)
Xis
Valnorath
Amras
Lege (wounded 9/11)
Water Elemental

Map:

http://www.geocities.com/mtdungeonmaster/terrain7.JPG

Fixer
2009-01-28, 07:20 AM
Marali, hoping this elemental is the last of what they will have to face, decides to return to melee and hope she doesn't get shot again.

Marali pulls out her morning star, yells, "Let's get 'im dad!" and smacks it with all the force she can muster.

lostsole31
2009-01-28, 10:50 AM
Valnorath

Valnorath, seeing Marali isolated, quickly moves (in a straight line from H4 to G8) to flank the water elemental (and provide flanking for Marali once she attacks), and takes a high crosscut of the elemental, being wary not to overextend with his long arms and greatsword to keep from hitting Marali.

[Roll in Dice thread.]

Sir Shadow
2009-01-28, 10:55 AM

As the next creature appeared, Jaggers hissed in annoyance, but his allies quickly put it down. Immediately the next one appeared.

Wanting to be finished with this mess, he ran towards it. Pushing even more negative energy into his hand, he swung his arm out to press his hand against the water elemental. Hopefully, this was the last one!

(( Jaggers moves to E8. He then makes a melee touch attack to use his Charnal Touch ability and release his Inflict Light Wounds into the creature. Of course, that depends on the creature not moving...

Condition

DJDeMiko
2009-01-28, 12:45 PM
Shorrusshumm

ooc - posting actions 1 character early because I might not have access until late tonight.

Shorrusshumm, despite their argument, can not allow Marali who has stood beside him in combat to fall and summons the last of his powerful energy to help her.

He waves his free hand towards the water elemental, mutters an arcane word under his breath and launches a magic missile at the creature.

auto-hit
damage roll
[roll0]

Rathgar
2009-01-28, 03:54 PM
Lege
HP 9/11

Lege ran over to the fighing spring and began pummeling it with his mace. "Now the water's attacking us! Well, I needed to get the dirt off of my mace, anyway."

[OOC - Move H6-G7-F7-E8 (Move Action), attack with Light Mace (Standard Action)]

Hellbore
2009-01-28, 08:32 PM
Vaen

Seeing his comrades swarm the water elemental, Vean decided to hang back and observe the situation before acting to hastily.

dresdor
2009-02-02, 12:38 AM
Valnorath slices and dices the water elemental, but it being a fluid creature, avoids the attacks with ease.

Lege batters the water beast with his mace, spraying everyone nearby with massive amounts of water. The monster seems visible injured (9 damage)

Jaggers fails to touch the elemental with his magical energy attacks.

Shorr launches a magic missile at the creature, further injuring the elemental (5 damage)

Marali finishes the elemental with one stout blow with her morningstar. It disappears into a shower of water.

Note: Everyone gains 1500 xp (even valnorath) and can level their characters up once the party rests for the night.

Sir Shadow
2009-02-02, 12:51 AM
[QUOTE=Sir Shadow;5707270]Jaggers (HP 4/6) (1st 2/3) (Exp 1500/1000)

As he was splashed with water, Jaggers growled, but now the creature was dead and he had nothing to take out his frustration on. Wiping his scales dry, he looked around and sighed. It seemed that all four elements had besought them and now they stood victorious. How... great?

With the victory tucked securely under his belt, Jaggers felt a strange sense of accomplishment and strength, though he was beginning to feel a tad woozy from his wounds. Looking around he cocked his head and regarded the rest of the group. "Well, what now? Are we going to head off or listen to what green-skin has to say?"

lostsole31
2009-02-02, 01:29 AM
Valnorath of the Lawbringer

"Well struck, Marali ... and you all!" Valnorath says as he claps Marali on the back. He puts his greatsword away, but readying for travel and a little more worldly wise, he takes out a javelin from his slender quiver (yes, there are quivers made for javelins).

He smiles as Jaggers speaks, feeling no ill will and that perhaps the kobold is hiding more humor than any possible malice. "Perhaps," he says, looking at Lege, "I might suggest that we leave his cursed place, and I will inform you of what I have learned on the road?"

DJDeMiko
2009-02-02, 01:48 AM
Shorrusshumm

"Yess," Shorrusshumm says, "before another element of nature decsidess it doess not like uss."

Hellbore
2009-02-02, 06:11 AM
Vaen

Seeing the water creature collapse into the ground, Vaen breathes a sigh of relief. Turning to the others he called out in a slightly breathless voice.

"I agree with Valnorath, we should probably get moving before, like Shor said, any more of the creatures come after us."

Rearranging his cloak around his shoulders, he straightens and, settling his quarterstaff more comfortably, casts a spell to detect any other sources of magic in the area.

((Casting: Detect Magic to towards 'East' on the map, turning North then West on subsequent rounds.))

Fixer
2009-02-02, 07:34 AM
"I will go now, but we need to return tomorrow. There are some things you need to be shown. I would do it now but we need to recover our energies. Follow me, there is a town a few hours to the north and a good inn I am familiar with. We can rest, recover, and talk there." Marali then begins to trudge to the north, with her morningstar still in her hand. She remains near Valnorath during the travel.

Hellbore
2009-02-04, 06:27 AM
Vaen

Pondering the results of his spell, Vaen hurries to catch up to Marali. Speaking quietly, but not privately, he asks a question.
"Marali, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of magic is your ring enchanted with."
He saves the rest of what learned for later.

Rathgar
2009-02-05, 12:03 AM
Lege

"We have plenty of time to ask questions while we are on our way. We should go ahead and get on the road before it gets dark. You can never really trust nocturnal creatures." Lege looked at Jaggers. "Except maybe kobolds." The enforcer then turned to the dwarf. "Marali, you said that you know the route to the nearest town, so I'll trust you to be our guide. You've proven to possibly be the most competent member of our team. She's never let us down, despite us letting her down so early on in our mission."

dresdor
2009-02-05, 01:01 AM
In the interest of speeding things up:

The party makes its way to the Inn that Marali indicated. Once there it is discovered that the Inn is somewhat crowded, but there are still rooms left for the party. The King is picking up the tab, as the barkeep recognizes that Marali was one of the demon-hunters from earlier.

Fixer
2009-02-05, 08:46 AM
Marali takes the group to the private room of which she has some previous knowledge. (OOC: Unless dresdor says otherwise. Then she'll take them to a room where they can speak privately.)

Marali makes sure to clear the area of any eavesdropping persons or possible items and then begins to speak very seriously. "Here is what I have learned of what has happened, why, and how.

"First, there was a boy. I heard his name is Dallal. He possessed some innate magical power and was taken from his home, stripped naked, and declared guilty of crimes it was not possible for him to have committed. He was sentenced to a quick death in a mock court and was fed to a beast in torpor called a 'Larnok'. The remains of this massive beast are what we saw in the town in which we were attacked.

"Second, when the beast ate the boy, it was SUPPOSED to continue in torpor, as it has for centuries, but instead became agitated and awoke and destroyed the village we were just in. Apparently when these things eat enough energy, they wake up and go on a rampage.

"Third, the beast died inexplicably. The boy which had been fed to the beast emerged from its dead mouth carrying a silvered spear or quarterstaff. He was last seen heading west to the edge of the Kingdom to avoid the king and the king's judgment, as the king told us in his announcement. Whomever he is he is powerful, as you saw that the beast that died was huge.

"Fourth, I have learned that the king brought to him several of his more loyal groups and gave them advance information on what we were told in the public gathering. It is not unreasonable to assume that the king wants them to succeed before any 'mercenaries', and that they are more likely to follow his wishes to bring back the 'Demon' alive.

"Fifth, I have learned that a Lord General, his entourage, guard, and a battalion of troops was dispatched to the west of the town we met in two days ago. I believe they are trying to head off the boy before he escapes the kingdom as this seems to be the way most describe as the best way to leave this kingdom.

"Sixth, I believe (please note, these are suspicions) that the king is in political trouble. Somehow the priesthood has gotten control over him, it may be related to the Larnok escaping, as the king's father DID create or breed it." Marali stops and takes a long breath, thinks a moment, then continues. "The king's loss of power may also have something to do with the illness of his son. Let's face it, if it was a REAL illness, the priesthood could have cured it for the money the king is promising to throw around. That means it is something else, maybe a curse or worse that cannot be cured by magic, or one the priesthood doesn't want cured.

"Seventh, I learned the name of someone in the nearby town who gave me the information I have shared with you, and have sent him to safety as the mercenaries who follow might be less willing to ask him questions than beat answers out of him. I will not have bystanders harmed if it is within my ability to prevent it.

"Eighth, I believe (again, suspicion) that the two men who 'witnessed' the guard dying by the 'Demon' were either misled or lying. I have no evidence of this, but it is my suspicion. I almost regret not asking about it earlier but it was probably not a good idea to accuse them of falsehood in front of the King.

"Ninth, in that village we were attacked, I found some places with some elemental words written in them. I could understand one placard to say, 'Test yourself by stone's embrace; No other trial fear you to face.' There are also words written in Ignan there that I cannot read, but I recognize. There are also ones written in Auran and Aquan in other places around but I cannot read those either. When we return there tomorrow maybe one of you scholarly types can read them or cast a spell to let you read them. Whatever they say, it sounds like a puzzle." Marali then takes another deep breath, not used to talking this much at once.

"Tenth, I found a pretty gold book I cannot read. I also found the ring some of you may have noticed I now wear." Marali points at the ring on her finger. The ring is a gold ring that shines brilliantly. It is engraved with intricate runes. "I have an idea of what the ring does and it is beneficial for us, so I won't go into specifics. Marali then pulls from her backpack a large gold-bound tome. "This book I cannot make heads nor tails of and was figuring one of you magic-types might figure it out. Any of you want to try identifying it? Before anyone goes claiming anything I will point out that I found all this prior to our finding each other, so that makes them mine. I share them only if it will benefit the group but their ownership should not come into dispute. If we were all together when these were found they would be party treasure to be divided, but as I was alone and had NO idea where you were they are mine.

"Eleventh, I believe (again, suspicion) there is another power group involved somehow with this boy. They are called 'dragonriders'. I haven't researched anything on them as I didn't want to draw too much attention without physical backup. They seem capable of instant transport and possibly related to the boy. We might learn more in this town but I kind of doubt it. They seemed rather secretive and I think I lucked out finding what I did.

"Twelfth, the Larnok I mentioned earlier can consume magic and magical materials like mithril and adamantine. According to my source it was created or bred by King Drayl's father, the Thunderfist. Apparently he bred them and placed them around the various cities. Recently they have been used as a disposal for prisoners. Lege, I am hoping you can shed some light on this subject, being a member of the guard."

With all of that said, Marali sits down and watches the group for reactions. (OOC: Sense Motive checks on everyone. Especially Shush, who she isn't sure has the same goal as everyone else.)

Sir Shadow
2009-02-05, 10:50 AM
Jaggers

The small kobold digested the information with some amazement. It was really all too much for the little creature. Political intrigue and social infighting was so far beyond anything he had ever experienced. Besides, what did he know of the priesthood of the kingdom? He didn't follow their "god", and even though he had nothing against them, he had never taken the time to study their ideals or learn anything about their clergy.

As for the king, he was just an institution of mortals, thus fallible. The Arbiter taught that all earthly seats of power were mere shadows of its own flawless judgment tainted with mortal ideals and prejudices. It seemed perfectly feasable that the king could be manipulated or entirely wrong. Besides that, Jaggers knew very little about the king's son and had only heard a few rumors about some incurable sickness.

He had no reason to believe Mirali was lying. It was kinda impossible for her to lie anyways, since she was just sharing in formation she had gathered. As for the things she had found, Jaggers didn't mind letting her keep the ring. But that book did look interesting. Moving over slightly, Jaggers looked over it to see if it was written in any language he could understand.

DJDeMiko
2009-02-05, 02:41 PM
Shorrusshumm

"The idea of a child being given falsse trial and then exsecuted troubless me deeply. Anyone who hass committed ssuch an act, be they king or commoner hass acted unlawfully and sshould not be allowed to get away with ssuch . . . mutilationss of the law."

"We musst disscover if thesse allegationss are true! I will not be ssent off to kill a child through such a dissgussting misuse of the law!"

He turns to Marali and says, "Did you learn why thiss particular child was taken? Iss he jusst one of many? After all, children are born all acrosss the kingdom with innate magic talentss all the time. I mysself, many of the troopss in my unit, all born with the ability to perform magicss. Or was thiss child sspecial? Iss there a reasson that the king, if it iss true, would want him dead?"

Fixer
2009-02-05, 03:02 PM
Marali answers Shush very quickly, "I have told you EVERYTHING I have learned and as much as I can share without placing others in harm's way. Those things I have learned I explained where I learned them from, and what I believe to be true and what I heard from others.

"I believe, if we are all to work together, that information should not be kept secret unless it may be false or do us harm. I had misgivings earlier because if any member here was more loyal to the king and church than to true justice and law, telling them this information could potentially have us all killed. I am now hoping I have judged all of your characters truly and that you would see true and honorable law performed and not blindly obey orders simply because they are your orders. That was my fear in not sharing this information previously."

Watching Jaggers nudge closer to the book, Marali takes it and hands it to him. "Here. Look all you want, just make sure you get it back to me, ok? I am not greedy, just protective. If you figure out what it is, I would appreciate being told." And with that Marali gives the little kobold a wink.

Hellbore
2009-02-05, 06:08 PM
Vaen

Listening intently to Marali's speech, Vaen was suddenly elated. All his suspicions about the king and the preisthood seemingly confirmed in front of him. It all made sense. The look on the kings face at the speech, the 'facts' presented here, to him it all added up.

Out loud, he said, "What you say about the king and the priests, I noticed he seemed to be, I think, looking back at the priests a lot for someone in absolute control of his kingdom. Also, I have a gut instinct that this matter is closer to him than just a violator of the law escaping."

Taking a breath he continues, "When we were in that destroyed town, I cast a spell to check for any magic in the area. The... 'Larnok', as you called it, the corpse and the area around it was a large magical dead spot, and the elementals had been summoned. Recently, I think. I'm guessing it was some kind of trap." Once again pausing, he looked at the dwarf, and said,"That's also when I noticed your ring, Marali. Do you mind if I take a look at it?"

Fixer
2009-02-05, 08:56 PM
Marali very quickly responds to Vaen, "I would prefer if you didn't. I am fairly certain I know what it does, if not how it works. I would prefer to know what that book does, if anything. I, for one, need some better gear. I want to replace what was once stolen from me and that book might be worth enough to replace some of it."

Rathgar
2009-02-08, 11:24 PM
Lege

"I find your lack of faith disturbing. I am quite certain that there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for why the king is after The Demon. Don't do anything that will compromise your position as a law abiding citizen. This is a nation of laws, and if we start going about breaking laws and regulations willy-nilly, then how would we be helping society? I do not blame King Draym for looking to the clergy of Jalatar for advice, for as it says in the Ordena Publiko:

'If you don't know the way you must proceed
Go ask the wise, for they might know indeed.'

I do agree that if there is a subversion of justice, the unsavory elements that have infiltrated the most venerable of our establishments must be uprooted. However, I have faith that the preexisting review boards of the church of Jalatar shall be sufficient, meager as they are in number."

Fixer
2009-02-09, 07:46 AM
Marali listens to Lege's response and answers very calmly, "Humans and elves and dwarves and such are all mortals, given towards mortal vices and failings. Unlike many churches I have heard of, yours does not have a god to perform oversight, which is why it may be possible for persons who do not possess your church's best intentions to infiltrate it. Imagine what might happen if a charismatic cleric of a rival faith, a chaotic faith, was to come forth as one of your own and began to work its way up with magic to defend his identity and confuse your inquisitors. He doesn't have to do anything but destroy public faith in your religion to destroy it utterly.

"That is why I insisted on knowing where everyone's loyalties were before I shared this information. If anyone present was an agent of a chaotic belief system they would take this information public and do incredible damage to the religion of Jalatar. That is why I put everyone to inquisition previously, and why I continue to share this information only with great reluctance. The person I was most concerned about was you, Lege, because this is your faith and your people and your leaders. I am hoping you are devoted more to your beliefs than to your church, because the two are more separate than you know.

"Now, I don't really care about religion, Jalatar's or any others. Let me make that completely clear. I don't think any religion is 'the right belief'. I have heard, seen, and watched as good and noble people did horrible things because they said their god said to do it. I can't do that. I cannot make myself subservient to any other being. I can only barely bring myself to follow laws I don't understand and I will not follow laws I believe to be unjust.

"The only reason I am not going out and spreading this information is because there are good people, trying to do the right thing, and trying to help others and this information getting loose is more likely to hurt than it is to heal. Whomever it is in the church, or whatever power or being it is behind this, I believe there is a serious problem within the church of Jalatar, and its relationship to the monarchy of this land. I am not from here, so I will respect the people of this land and not try to cause turmoil in their laws and customs, because common people need those for a sense of security. I do, however, believe that we should approach this 'Demon' with an open mind, because it is quite possible that we have been lied to.

"I will not do the wrong thing because of blind devotion or obedience. It is my intention to speak to this 'Demon' and try to discover what is really going on before I go and make a decision as to what to do. Those of you who wish to blindly believe that the Monarchy and the Church of Jalatar must be right because they simply must be, I do not share your faith and I am afraid I cannot share your company any further. I believe your goals are far too different than mine, and will eventually come into conflict, and I would avoid that now rather than later."

Marali looks around the room at everyone present, realizing this is one of those 'turning points' that they speak about in stories. This is also a moment when Marali realizes that believing in something enough to pray to would probably be handy, but why start now?

Rathgar
2009-02-09, 05:55 PM
Lege

"Hold on a second, I think you're jumping the gum a little bit. Whilst there may be some suspicious behavior on the part of some officials, we have little more than circumstantial evidence against them. Perfectly innocent people do things that look suspicious to an outsider all the time. However, I do agree that we should find out more about The Demon before we bring The Demon in. There is enough circumstantial evidence to warrant that we find out a little bit about the circumstances surrounding the current situation before hauling The Demon back in to justice. We have been granted some level of authority on the matter by the crown, and as the Ordena Publiko said, people in authority should 'trust, but verify' when dealing with other groups with authority. It keeps them honest. And besides, worst case scenario we end up gathering more evidence to be used in trail later."

DJDeMiko
2009-02-09, 07:21 PM
Shorrusshumm

"I agree with Lege. We cannot be blinded to reality. We cannot have prejudicsess for or againsst the king and government. We musst sseek the ansswerss to thesse quesstionss and then make up our mindss. Sshall we turn in for the evening and then continue our ssearch in the mornining?"

Fixer
2009-02-09, 07:43 PM
Marali listens, takes note of the silence of the others, and finally agrees. "If we can all agree that our role in this is to minimize or prevent civilian casualties, find those responsible for the harm that has been caused, and bringing those responsible to justice, I think we all have a goal we can share. If we are going to be working together, we need the same goal to prevent internal conflicts. This goal sound good?"

(OOC: Unless someone speaks up in the next 24 hours to the contrary, I agree that everyone gets rest and starts out in the morning.)

Hellbore
2009-02-09, 09:34 PM
Vaen

Taken aback at Marali rather blunt reply, Vaen listens to rest of the coversation, not swayed by the words of the other. In his mind, the facts were as clear as day.

Prevented from examining the ring but still wanting to satify his curiosity, Vaen get up from where he was sitting and moves to the Jaggers, still holding Marali's shiny book. Seeing that he hadn't as yet opened it, he says, "If you don't mind, I'd like to offer my help in deciphering that book you have. Perhaps I can offer insights that you lack."

Rathgar
2009-02-09, 10:47 PM
Lege

"'I swear to pursue justice whilst minimizing chaos and destruction resulting from the pursuit.' That was the first line of the pledge we had to take back in the enforcer academy. We had to recite that pledge before each meal, and at the raising and lowering of the three flags representing our prime loyalties. It constantly reminded us of the duties that we were training to carry out. As for the idea of going to bed, I agree. We've had a long day, and we need to rest before we start another day, a day that is possibly more eventful than the last."

dresdor
2009-02-10, 08:34 PM
Unless anyone has an objection:

Night passes swiftly and uneventfully, leaving you well rested, and fully healed. You also feel stronger from the trials you had faced the previous day.

OOC: Please update your character sheets, send me a new link if the one on the OOC thread main page is no longer correct, I will approve them as I see them get completed. The town the inn is in has basic commodities.