PDA

View Full Version : Fun with the D&D books...

Flickerdart
2008-12-17, 11:01 PM
So, a little background information: my school does a little coffee house arts thing twice a year. Last year, the grads did a hilarious thing where they took random books from the library shelf and started reading from the same page one sentence at a time. Hilarity ensued. This year, they tried it again...
They started with introducing the books..."Catch 22", some short story book, so on and so forth, and then...the Dungeon Master's Guide. Page 47, and then they began. Some highlights include...

"A good location for an encounter is a Drow fortress temple."
"Where? I don't see any."

"An intelligent organization is a good challenge for the PCs."
"...does he have peanut butter on his face?"

I hope someone filmed it, so I can get the whole thing. It was great.

So, anyone else employ the D&D books to awesome ends?

mikeejimbo
2008-12-17, 11:02 PM
I use them to play D&D. Does that count?

Flickerdart
2008-12-17, 11:19 PM
I use them to play D&D. Does that count?
I suppose. But nobody else can use that one! :smalltongue:

mikeejimbo
2008-12-17, 11:23 PM
I suppose. But nobody else can use that one! :smalltongue:

Hehe, honestly speaking though, I also like to read them for fun. Any background on campaign settings I like to read for the fantastic histories, and advice on world building makes me start to imagine my own settings. My English professor teased me for it, but I think they are an interesting read.

herrhauptmann
2008-12-17, 11:26 PM
So, a little background information: my school does a little coffee house arts thing twice a year. Last year, the grads did a hilarious thing where they took random books from the library shelf and started reading from the same page one sentence at a time. Hilarity ensued. This year, they tried it again...
They started with introducing the books..."Catch 22", some short story book, so on and so forth, and then...the Dungeon Master's Guide. Page 47, and then they began. Some highlights include...

"A good location for an encounter is a Drow fortress temple."
"Where? I don't see any."

"An intelligent organization is a good challenge for the PCs."
"...does he have peanut butter on his face?"

I hope someone filmed it, so I can get the whole thing. It was great.

So, anyone else employ the D&D books to awesome ends?

So they'd read a sentence from pg 4 of DMG. Followed by a sentence from pg 4 of Catch 22(or something similar)?

edit: Out of date books, like 3.0 PHB and similar, make good ballistic weapons against annoying siblings and squirrels.

Flickerdart
2008-12-17, 11:32 PM
So they'd read a sentence from pg 4 of DMG. Followed by a sentence from pg 4 of Catch 22(or something similar)?

edit: Out of date books, like 3.0 PHB and similar, make good ballistic weapons against annoying siblings and squirrels.
Yeah, pretty much. There were 7 books in total, and when 3 or so matched up it was hilarious. The sentences were consecutive, but a little bit of cheating was probably employed.

pirateshow
2008-12-18, 01:06 AM
A 3.0 PHB keeps the rear left corner of my sofa from wobbling.

Edan
2008-12-18, 01:13 AM
I bet there is at least one person who has enough books from dnd and other systems to build a fort with, complete with drawbridge and catapults.

charl
2008-12-18, 01:13 AM
I use a Call of Cthulhu D20 book as a support for my laptop while I use it in my lap, since the air-intake is on the bottom of the computer so I need something underneath so it doesn't overheat. RPG books are ideal for this due to their size. Most other books aren't that large.